Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,937 members, 7,890,085 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 09:01 AM

Is My Son Transgender? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is My Son Transgender? (1735 Views)

Help, My Son Has Refused To Develope / My Son's Birthday In Pictures. / My Son's Graduation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is My Son Transgender? by MimiKnows: 10:59pm On Aug 25, 2016
Dear Mimi,

I am a 32 year old woman with three children. I have one daughter and two sons. My oldest son who is 5 years old is my first child. My daughter and son are twins and they are 18 months old. My 5 year old son has been portraying what may be considered female traits. He wants to wear make up when he sees me putting it on, he constantly wears my shoes and hats and loves dancing. Normally I would not be too concerned about this but this past July, we were visiting family friends in another state and I heard my son introduce himself to other children using a girls name. When I called him over and said, thats not your name, he said “thats my new name because I am a girl.” I do not know what to do. Should I be worried? I don’t believe in beating children or lazy advice like pray about it. I need practical information. Thank you.

-Confused Mum

Dear Confused Mum,

Thank you for writing in. The term “transgender” is generally taken to mean someone who has a gender identity, a gender expression, a gender performance that is outside of the expected cultural norms for their assigned sex at birth. In this case your child’s assigned gender at birth is male, but he expresses as female. There are a lot of kids in the stage just before puberty who have gender nonconforming behaviors, who I would not label as transgender. The truth is that we don’t really know whether that child who is gender non-conforming in childhood is going to go on to have a trans identity in adolescence or adulthood. What we do know is that by the time kids reach adolescence, if they have a gender identity that is different from their sex assigned at birth, that it is very likely that they will continue on to have that gender identity.

In your case, I will advice you allow your son express the gender he wants maybe privately and see how it goes. You must wait for post adolescence to make any changes. There is nothing to do but love, accept and allow your son explore. Don’t get concerned with what people will say or think, people always talk anyway. Stay focused on providing a loving and nurturing home and see how things go. There are lots of resources online for parents of transgender children. I wish you courage.

Love,

Mimi

Mimi knows something about everything. If Mimi doesn’t know; who will? Write Mimi at mimiknows@theheraldng.com

http://www.herald.ng/is-my-son-transgender/

Re: Is My Son Transgender? by donbenedict(m): 11:04pm On Aug 25, 2016
Reminds me of Jamal in Empire cheesy grin
Re: Is My Son Transgender? by Raydos: 11:13pm On Aug 25, 2016
Reminds of james bond 007
Re: Is My Son Transgender? by mekzyjoe(m): 11:17pm On Aug 25, 2016
MimiKnows:
Dear Mimi,

I am a 32 year old woman with three children. I have one daughter and two sons. My oldest son who is 5 years old is my first child. My daughter and son are twins and they are 18 months old. My 5 year old son has been portraying what may be considered female traits. He wants to wear make up when he sees me putting it on, he constantly wears my shoes and hats and loves dancing. Normally I would not be too concerned about this but this past July, we were visiting family friends in another state and I heard my son introduce himself to other children using a girls name. When I called him over and said, thats not your name, he said “thats my new name because I am a girl.” I do not know what to do. Should I be worried? I don’t believe in beating children or lazy advice like pray about it. I need practical information. Thank you.

-Confused Mum

Dear Confused Mum,

Thank you for writing in. The term “transgender” is generally taken to mean someone who has a gender identity, a gender expression, a gender performance that is outside of the expected cultural norms for their assigned sex at birth. In this case your child’s assigned gender at birth is male, but he expresses as female. There are a lot of kids in the stage just before puberty who have gender nonconforming behaviors, who I would not label as transgender. The truth is that we don’t really know whether that child who is gender non-conforming in childhood is going to go on to have a trans identity in adolescence or adulthood. What we do know is that by the time kids reach adolescence, if they have a gender identity that is different from their sex assigned at birth, that it is very likely that they will continue on to have that gender identity.

In your case, I will advice you allow your son express the gender he wants maybe privately and see how it goes. You must wait for post adolescence to make any changes. There is nothing to do but love, accept and allow your son explore. Don’t get concerned with what people will say or think, people always talk anyway. Stay focused on providing a loving and nurturing home and see how things go. There are lots of resources online for parents of transgender children. I wish you courage.

Love,

Mimi

Mimi knows something about everything. If Mimi doesn’t know; who will? Write Mimi at mimiknows@theheraldng.com

http://www.herald.ng/is-my-son-transgender/

2 Likes

Re: Is My Son Transgender? by Alphaoscar: 12:25am On Aug 26, 2016
This world is finally going to its end .

What's all this strange happenings all about ? Maybe its high time I relocate back to our village at least the possibility of catching these madness will be minimal.

5 Likes

Re: Is My Son Transgender? by Seahawk: 4:01am On Aug 26, 2016
There's nothing you can do about it.

1 Like

Re: Is My Son Transgender? by Tundeiab(m): 6:08am On Aug 26, 2016
Parents should be care with the way they apply makeup and do girlie things when their male kids are around.

Since they so much reverend and sees you as a mentor, they might want to start doing those same things you do before them.
Re: Is My Son Transgender? by Nobody: 6:14am On Aug 26, 2016
Reset his brain with slaps

4 Likes

Re: Is My Son Transgender? by Nobody: 6:48am On Aug 26, 2016
This is how Jamal started his life In Empire oo cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Is My Son Transgender? by Chubhie: 9:51am On Aug 26, 2016
Where is the father to lead him as a way of example? The role of the father in the family should never be taken over by the new fad in town called single Mom.

Fathers should always make time to interact and nurture their children to adulthood!
Re: Is My Son Transgender? by byvan03: 12:47pm On Aug 26, 2016
No parent deserves to encounter this, Tom boys are even more tolerable. If whatever went wrong in their wiring can be surgically altered, I will understand if a parent explores this route angry.

1 Like

Re: Is My Son Transgender? by Swissheart(f): 12:54pm On Aug 26, 2016
Kids display stuffs like these at the mentioned age. He could even try your bra on if he has a chance but like Mimi said it could be nothing to worry about. When he attains puberty and he is still very much into trying to be a girl then it is gender identity issue.
Re: Is My Son Transgender? by Jengem: 12:56am On Aug 27, 2016
Reset his brain with a slap

1 Like

Re: Is My Son Transgender? by Welcomme: 7:18am On Aug 27, 2016
Make dem beat nonsense comot for d idiot body b4 we see another catlyn Jenner

2 Likes

Re: Is My Son Transgender? by lilmax(m): 7:31am On Aug 27, 2016
it all depends on his environment. if you have girly toys, cartoons all around I wonder what you were expecting
Re: Is My Son Transgender? by Nobody: 8:32am On Aug 27, 2016
HeHehehehe...gay in the making
Re: Is My Son Transgender? by Jengem: 7:33pm On Aug 28, 2016
We need this on fp

Mods

Lalasticlala
Re: Is My Son Transgender? by chigoizie7(m): 12:11am On Aug 29, 2016
Maybe that the orientation he got from u the mother, maybe u are always the one around him, so he is copying that femine traits from u.

Just like my little niece that came to stay with my mum for this holiday is ordering me to go and get her "imaginary" salts, pepper etc and even forcing me to take medications( sand mixed with little water in a plastic table spoon). Those are all she learnt from my mum or let me say,my is daily routines. She is always in the kitchen with mum, and she always demands she brings salt for while cooking and other petty kitchen stuffs, she is also on medications (multivitamins and all those stuffs). Now she has deemed It fit to adapt to such life.

When I drive, she always want to take control of the wheels and I also do allow her to, that is because she wants to that thing which people around her does, in this case, we have realised that she is the sensitive type so we all tend to be very careful once we are around her.( she is just 2years plus). Did I also mention that she enjoys soccer? Or watching wrestling? Well, that's because apart from her mum and my elder sis who is also married, all of us are guys including dad, mum doesn't enjoy soccer, but because she is always stuck with us, she starting enjoying it because she always see us enjoying it.

My point is this, maybe ur son's life kinda revolves around women, ( u,ur mum or sister or ur female friends). I advice u expose him to the company of more males, I mean practical males( the types that love video game, rides bicycle or play all those manly games kids of their age indulges in) @ least star watching him from there while also changing his orientation about life
Re: Is My Son Transgender? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Aug 29, 2016
Immediately after secondary school, I was wearing one baggy man trouser and people felt I looked was cool
I made it a norm to wear shirts and trousers not fitted
I didn't do makeup or dresses
I loved the attention I was getting I loved looking different
I was never the big boobs and ass girl

Maybe if it was today they would have called me a transgender.... Hell No..

(1) (Reply)

I Am Tired Of Marriage / My Fiance Allowed His Ex Wife To Spend The Night In His Home / Please Save A Soul , If You Came Across Her Wanting, She Got Missing.... Pls Cal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.