Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,125 members, 7,900,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 02:56 AM

Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: (1545 Views)

Does Popularity And Fame Make A Man Or Woman More Desirable / In Every Relationship, Who Should Call Most? Man Or Woman? / Man or Woman, Who is More Unfaithful in a Relationship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by playahP(m): 3:11am On Oct 01, 2009
WOULD ANY OF YOU PROPOSE AND MARRY A MAN OR WOMAN THAT YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS DO NO ACCEPT?
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by kellorah: 3:16am On Oct 01, 2009
If you love her, why not?

Sometimes family don't always know what's best for you.
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by CrazyMan(m): 3:26am On Oct 01, 2009
If my family members can't give me any sensible reason why I shouldn't marry the girl of my dreams, I would have no choice than to marry her regardles of how they feel about her.
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:32am On Oct 01, 2009
CrazyMan:

If my family members can't give me any sensible reason why I shouldn't marry the girl of my dreams, I would have no choice than to marry her regardles of how they feel about her.

Seconded but with a switch to "him" cool
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by justwise(m): 8:27am On Oct 01, 2009
yes
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by whitelexi(m): 8:34am On Oct 01, 2009
No

She has to meet my family, and they have to approve, all of them.
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by justwise(m): 8:43am On Oct 01, 2009
whitelexi:

No

She has to meet my family, and they have to approve, all of them.
And u still man enough to be called a husband? How long will families keep making serious and crucial decision for u?
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by whitelexi(m): 8:49am On Oct 01, 2009
justwise:

And u still man enough to be called a husband? How long will families keep making serious and crucial decision for u?

Ultimately, i take the final decisions, and i can choose to marry against their wishes, but i do not allow "love alone" to cloud my decisions especially when its a critical decision like marriage, other intricacies need to be considered as well. . .  and i dont think i can start up something that is only destined to bring up serious drama between family and wife!
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by Nobody: 8:52am On Oct 01, 2009
I dont know. I mean family is family and if I alienate them and things dont work out in the marriage, its them I have to crawl back to. I would have to make them see reason and keep both sides happy.
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by kayc33(m): 8:56am On Oct 01, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

I dont know. I mean family is family and if I alienate them and things dont work out in the marriage, its them I have to crawl back to. I would have to make them see reason and keep both sides happy.
true
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by justwise(m): 9:01am On Oct 01, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

I dont know. I mean family is family and if I alienate them and things dont work out in the marriage, its them I have to crawl back to. I would have to make them see reason and keep[b] both sides happy[/b].

Sometimes u can't make both sides happy. Its hard to have it both ways sometimes
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by whitelexi(m): 9:03am On Oct 01, 2009
justwise:

Sometimes u can't make both sides happy. Its hard to have it both ways sometimes

And so if one party has to be removed from the equation, u choose to remove your family?  Will your so called wife to be do the same? I wonder

Like i always say, what an old man sees while sitting, a small child cannot, even from the top of an iroko tree, and the child that lifts his father up, will be blinded by many many things grin grin grin
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 01, 2009
justwise:

Thankfully my parents are liberal and non-traditionalist so I will not have problems hopefully. I hope my inlaws are the same.
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by justwise(m): 9:21am On Oct 01, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

Thankfully my parents are liberal and non-traditionalist so I will not have problems hopefully. I hope my inlaws are the same.

Now i see where u coming from. But remember alot of Nigerian families go through hell to get both sides agree.
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 01, 2009
justwise:

Now i see where u coming from. But remember alot of Nigerian families go through hell to get both sides agree.
I know what you mean. We need to change our backward mentality.
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by justwise(m): 9:39am On Oct 01, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

I know what you mean. We need to change our backward mentality.

When i visited Nigeria last yr after 10yrs, everybody were interested to know if i'm hooked up or not, some suggested one or two good girls they know that will make a good wife. I kept quiet. Then i was in serious rela/ship here and i went with her pic which i showed my elder brothers, one was ok with it, some extended family members were either here or there but some came out smoking, that i can't marry non-Nigerian, that she will not like our culture, that they can't communicate with her bla bla bla.

My mum was influenced by all the side talks going around, sometimes confused abt the whole thing.
All my elder brothers are married, i reminded that i never choose for them, i never told them who to marry and they should keep off.
I was furious abt the whole thing, now they know where i stand when it comes to marriage issues.
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by iice(f): 11:01am On Oct 01, 2009
Mehn E hard ooo undecided
It's important to me that my brothers accept him. Though they (brothers) are generally very cool with things. They aren't so unreasonable most of the time, just that they would prolly end up watching the guy like hawks lipsrsealed grin
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by Nobody: 12:27pm On Oct 01, 2009
justwise:

When i visited Nigeria last yr after 10yrs, everybody were interested to know if i'm hooked up or not, some suggested one or two good girls they know that will make a good wife. I kept quiet. Then i was in serious rela/ship here and i went with her pic which i showed my elder brothers, one was ok with it, some extended family members were either here or there but some came out smoking, that i can't marry non-Nigerian, that she will not like our culture, that they can't communicate with her bla bla bla.

My mum was influenced by all the side talks going around, sometimes confused abt the whole thing.
All my elder brothers are married, i reminded that i never choose for them, i never told them who to marry and they should keep off.
I was furious abt the whole thing, now they know where i stand when it comes to marriage issues.
Its annoying when things like this happens just stand your ground and you family will come through in the end. smiley
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by sexyLeamon(f): 12:44pm On Oct 01, 2009
I would ! Of course it would be selfish, I think for my parents it would be terrible to have a son in law they don´t like! But it´s always me who has to decide as last and it´s me who has to live with that person, not my parents!

Great parents like my parents won´t misunderstand !!
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by justwise(m): 12:45pm On Oct 01, 2009
iice:

Mehn E hard ooo undecided
It's important to me that my brothers accept him. Though they (brothers) are generally very cool with things. They aren't so unreasonable most of the time, just that they would prolly end up watching the guy like hawks lipsrsealed grin

Haha, that is even worst, they accepted him/her yes, but gives the person cold shoulder.
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by justwise(m): 12:46pm On Oct 01, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

Its annoying when things like this happens just stand your ground and you family will come through in the end. smiley

Well i ended it, though it got nothing to do with my family views abt her.
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by Nobody: 12:47pm On Oct 01, 2009
justwise:

Well i ended it, though it got nothing to do with my family views abt her.
O dear im sorry sad
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by justwise(m): 12:52pm On Oct 01, 2009
Ebonyeyes:

O dear im sorry sad

My view abt being too much of a 'nice guy' is not good originated from my experience with her. Very valuable experience i must confess.
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 01, 2009
justwise:

My view abt being too much of a 'nice guy' is not good originated from my experience with her. Very valuable experience i must confess.
Its really sad because nice girls and guys are being messed up by not so nice partners and this changes them. Dont change your true personality because of a girl. Im sure you will meet the right girl one day who will appreciate your niceness.
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by sweetcoint(f): 2:02pm On Oct 01, 2009
If my parent's reasons are ok, I'll see to it, but i don't fink I'll have no problem wif that coz my mum has stated down the tribes i and my sister will get married to. lol
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by iice(f): 2:05pm On Oct 01, 2009
justwise:

Haha, that is even worst, they accepted him/her yes, but gives the person cold shoulder.

Yes.
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by whitelexi(m): 2:28pm On Oct 01, 2009
Well, for people like me, an only son and last child in the family. . .  Family is and will continuously be very important. I am who i am today partly because of my roots and although they're all very liberal and well to do on their own, i would definitely involve them when the time comes, and i will like to know that they approve of the girl in question [Bless her].

Different circumstances will call for different measures, but i speak from a sensitive angle and i'm pretty sure people in my brand of shoes will agree. cheesy
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by Fiona0007: 11:18pm On Oct 01, 2009
It's always nice to show how you care about your family and of course you would expect their support. But at the end of the day you are the one making the decision and facing the consequences, better or worse.
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by Treetop20(m): 1:17am On Oct 02, 2009
I am bewildered when i think about the kind
of woman whitelexi will marry. God help us!
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by TOPE20001(f): 1:18am On Oct 02, 2009
Treetop20:

BUHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHA grin grin grin
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by nana(f): 1:21am On Oct 02, 2009
Treetop20:

Oh lawd! cheesy
Re: Marry A Man Or Woman Against Family Wishes? :: by Nobody: 1:34am On Oct 02, 2009
Nope. Hindsight, bloody potent!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oh my God! Imagine kerewa on d sofa,Shoul she Tell Her daughter. / True Love Versus Respect / Cost Of Servicing Relationships In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.