Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,180 members, 7,910,216 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 10:00 PM

Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans (11111 Views)

Boko Haram Changes Killing Tactics, Kills 18 Youths With Knives / Ortom Empowers Benue Youths With Wheelbarrows (Photo) / See How Amaechi Lures Youths In A Rally In Bera, Gokhana LGA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by BeeBeeOoh(m): 10:39am On Sep 02, 2016
New reports by an international aid organisation, Mercy Corps, have revealed how Boko Haram insurgents use informal micro credit schemes and promises of safety to recruit hundreds of youths and pupils as fighters.

The beneficiaries, the reports funded by the Ford Foundation added, received amounts ranging from N10,000 to N1m in order to buy motorcycles, restock their trading stores and grow their small-scale businesses.

The reports, presented on Thursday in Lagos, also highlighted how repression from the military and access to interest-free finance, among others, had perpetuated terrorism and elicited sympathy from communities in the North.

However, the Lead Researcher and Global Director, Conflict Management for Mercy Corps, Rebecca Wolfe, said many of the locals did not know that the credits were from the insurgents.

The reports noted, “Roughly one out of three respondents had completed secular secondary school and about the same number had completed some sort of Islamic schooling.”

Titled, “Motivations and Empty Promises: Voices of former Boko Haram combatants and Nigerian Youth and Gifts and Graft: How Boko Haram uses Financial Services for Recruitment and Support,” the reports revealed that peer pressure and the availability of girls were also incentives to the beneficiaries.

According to Wolfe, 47 former members of the insurgent groups, comprising 21 females and 26 males, 45 community members and seven others, who refused the sect’s incentives were interviewed during the study.

She added, “Sometimes the people did not know. It is usually something like a friend coming to give them money for their business and they later find out that the friend is a member of Boko Haram. I asked them, ‘Don’t you people know?’ But it turned out that sometimes, they did not know what they were getting into.

“One male recipient shared how he was complaining to a friend that he wanted a job so he could better provide for his parents. The friend then liaised with Boko Haram leaders to secure a motorcycle to allow the recipient start a business,” she said.

Meanwhile, the reports recommended that the government should, in the post-conflict era, “increase the quality, availability and diversity of financial services, particularly to youths with small, informal businesses. Increase transparency and accessibility to government-led economic programmes. Explore financial services to help youths achieve their ambitions, among other interventions.”

A member of the team, Ballama Mustafa, who urged the government to make its presence felt in remote communities in the region, added that interventions should be interest-free and should not exclude locals, who are not literate.

He added, “There are diverse paths to membership. Some were abducted and some joined because they had friends who were insurgents. Some joined to avenge the deaths of their family members or friends. When the military invades a community after a terrorist attack, you find that the military arrests people indiscriminately. But Boko Haram also does that. When they go into a community, they can kill parents who have prevented their children from joining them. One of our recommendations is that communities and schools should create counter-narratives to dissuade youths and pupils from joining the sect."

http://m.punchng.com/boko-haram-lures-youths-pupils-interest-free-loans-reports/

Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by madridguy(m): 10:48am On Sep 02, 2016
Ok
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by deantimes(m): 11:10am On Sep 02, 2016
This source is not that of Punch Newspapers.

Check the link
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by 8kingz(m): 12:29pm On Sep 02, 2016
Boko Haram is simply gasping for straw by holding on to past glory anyhow they can,govt should intensify her effort in this post insurgency era so as to carefully re incorporate the locals back to there homes and eliminate those remain insurgent so as for insurgency not to re occur
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by henrydadon(m): 12:29pm On Sep 02, 2016
angry

why should anyone have any thing at all to do with boko haram in the first place

at the mention of boko haram u suppose pick race run

[img]http://i./3o7ZeTlKIJS83gyhd6.gif[/img]

except if those individuals are actually bad them self

so many deranged people in nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by Nobody: 12:29pm On Sep 02, 2016
Which one our banks dey go for
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by beemzy2014(f): 12:30pm On Sep 02, 2016
hmmm
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by abokibuhari: 12:30pm On Sep 02, 2016
where is buhari?
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by Isoni(m): 12:31pm On Sep 02, 2016
Where can i get the application form for the interest free loan?

boys are not smilling
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by Nobody: 12:31pm On Sep 02, 2016
k
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by GoodMuyis(m): 12:31pm On Sep 02, 2016
Abeg i Need the load form
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by JohnFrankling(m): 12:34pm On Sep 02, 2016
deantimes:

Check the link
I checked the link its punch, so what do you mean

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by blackpanda: 12:34pm On Sep 02, 2016
abokibuhari:
where is buhari?

You again you are so obsessed with buhari. What is wrong with u?

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by Nobody: 12:34pm On Sep 02, 2016
Waiting for the unveiling of "BH Microfinance Bank" as a subsidiary of Jaiz Bank.
Nigerian youth will continue to be victims of these mishaps until they become financially independent. Wait no more! Check my signature and do the needful.
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by Pylony(m): 12:34pm On Sep 02, 2016
So the said Loan also teach them how to plug human head from the neck abi.
The part of the recruitment Money most be the ones boko haram sourced from all the successful bank robberies they partake in the North some years back.
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by IMASTEX: 12:34pm On Sep 02, 2016
Why won't the youth fall for it. When those who are supposed to be saddled with such responsibilities are still snoring.
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by jhydebaba(m): 12:35pm On Sep 02, 2016
Eleyi gidi gan..... This one is strong oh!

Common 10k

North yaf suffer
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by GlorifiedTunde(m): 12:37pm On Sep 02, 2016
Fantastic research.

This is the kind of research the FG should bankroll. But of course, what do we know. Before a white must have done this, there must have been a lot of resources expended in terms of security and incentives.

From all what I see now, it shows that the major problem of the north is ignorance. The deprivation of the north from effective western education and civilization by their previous leaders and elites has dealt this nation a serious blow.

Before poverty comes ignorance.

I doubt whether they would have successfully recruited mercenaries from the south even if southerners were broke.

Now all these makes me ask again, do we really think bokoharam was only fuelled and financed within the confines of this nation?

My answer is a big "NO"

If you're still thinking bokoharam is a PDP or APC affair, then you're just a surface web crawler.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by Scatterscatter(m): 12:37pm On Sep 02, 2016
Can one apply for the loan from Lagos?
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:38pm On Sep 02, 2016
deantimes:

Check the link
Are you high on solution or gum
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by Izonpikin: 12:41pm On Sep 02, 2016
blackpanda:

You again you are so obsessed with buhari. What is wrong with u?
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by Nobody: 12:49pm On Sep 02, 2016
Old story. Read this on nairaland sometime in 2014 and 2015 respectively. Obviously recycled news.
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by Junior66(m): 1:02pm On Sep 02, 2016
madridguy:
Ok
I thought you would post something lenghty. What's your opinion on what you read? I believe you are one of those Muslims that usually blame
1) CAN President
2) Israel
3) The Great Devil USA
4) Christians plotting to tarnish the golden image of Islam.
5. Zionists.
6. Any other body apart from Muslims.
I apologise if u aren't one of those but I have come to know dat you sometimes defend your people and religion irationally.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by Noneroone(m): 1:08pm On Sep 02, 2016
The north is loosing its youths
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by Junior66(m): 1:08pm On Sep 02, 2016
GlorifiedTunde:
Fantastic research.

This is the kind of research the FG should bankroll. But of course, what do we know. Before a white must have done this, there must have been a lot of resources expended in terms of security and incentives.

From all what I see now, it shows that the major problem of the north is ignorance. The deprivation of the north from effective western education and civilization by their previous leaders and elites has dealt this nation a serious blow.

Before poverty comes ignorance.

I doubt whether they would have successfully recruited mercenaries from the south even if southerners were broke.

Now all these makes me ask again, do we really think bokoharam was only fuelled and financed within the confines of this nation?

My answer is a big "NO"

If you're still thinking bokoharam is a PDP or APC affair, then you're just a surface web crawler.
blame their religion and not their lack of certificates. These are men who tore and burnt their certificates in public before joining Boko Haram. That was long before Boko Haram even started fighting anybody. There are Engineers, Doctors and top grade students who have joined ISIS. What do you say about them? Are there ignorant too? What about the Egyptian millionaire prince who joined ISIS and about a year latter volunteer for suicide bombing and died? Was he poor, just in case u wana blame poverty.
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by GlorifiedTunde(m): 1:21pm On Sep 02, 2016
Junior66:

blame their religion and not their lack of certificates. These are men who tore and burnt their certificates in public before joining Boko Haram. That was long before Boko Haram even started fighting anybody. There are Engineers, Doctors and top grade students who have joined ISIS. What do you say about them? Are there ignorant too? What about the Egyptian millionaire prince who joined ISIS and about a year latter volunteer for suicide bombing and died? Was he poor, just in case u wana blame poverty.

I based my argument on the report which presupposes that poverty is the major tool for enlisting the fighters.

You must however note that certificate doesn't mean one is devoid of ignorance. If you're truly educated, then you have enlightenment in your mind. One that makes you know that its a sick thing to take lives in the name of religion.

But I still keep wondering why some beautiful Islamic nations like UAE and Qatar have gone beyond all these.

I believe it is only ignorance that would make a man subject himself to some form of brainwash in order to prove a silly point.

For some elites who joined, it could be as a result of their psychopathic tendencies towards the crave for power, dominance or terrorism - this has nothing to do with education or wealth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by Agriman(m): 1:23pm On Sep 02, 2016
Loan to kill their fellow Nigerians? all because of islam
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by padi94(m): 1:46pm On Sep 02, 2016
Going by this report we can comfortably put the boko haram insurgency growth as the fault of the northern leaders.
Because they are the one who ate all the resources of the Northern Development Bank.
Also is their region. Abi una want blame Goodluck b4??
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by Nobody: 2:12pm On Sep 02, 2016
Abeg this northern crises have really affected and taken the Nation backwards. While some section are thinking on something gud, we still thinking and spending much on terrorism...
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by teemy(m): 4:05pm On Sep 02, 2016
deantimes:

Check the link
the 'm dot' before the 'punchng.com' refers to the mobile site of punchng.com
Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by doingood: 8:54pm On Sep 02, 2016
Bros boko, please I need just 2 million naira loan from u guys. I'll pay back within 2 yrs. Yours sincerely. Thank u God bless u,

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Lures Youths With Interest-free Loans by lordkhalifa(m): 11:05pm On Sep 02, 2016
just 10k

dis mallams will Neva upgrade, brainwashed miscreants undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Labour Party Won't Present Candidate For 2019 Elections / National Assembly Leadership: We’ll Strike At The Right Time, Says PDP / Tinubu's Current Picture, How True

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.