Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,271 members, 7,887,790 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 01:54 PM

Gearbox Oil Replacement - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Gearbox Oil Replacement (1172 Views)

5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. / Nissan Altima 2003 Gearbox Issue / Common Gearbox ECU Problem With Toyota Rav 4 2000- 2006 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gearbox Oil Replacement by Nobody: 7:41pm On Sep 02, 2016
I bought this car new and still in good condition, it came to my attention that the gear oil need to be change, but mechanics asked said there are no reasonable need to replace the gear oil.
Recently, gear 2 do not engage while in motion, all other gears 1 3 4 5 and reverse engages
How can the gear oil be inspected and replaced?
Picture showed the gear box, top view while the bonnet is opened

Re: Gearbox Oil Replacement by erico2k2(m): 7:59pm On Sep 02, 2016
indigene:
I bought this car new and still in good condition, it came to my attention that the gear oil need to be change, but mechanics asked said there are no reasonable need to replace the gear oil.
Recently, gear 2 do not engage while in motion, all other gears 1 3 4 5 and reverse engages
Can I ask waht you meaqn by you bought this car new? did you mean you bought it brand new in the first instant or you bought it at this stage?
How old is the car? the Age and mileage of the car will give you a good indication of weather teh gear oil needs to change or not
Re: Gearbox Oil Replacement by honmusa(m): 8:44pm On Sep 02, 2016
indigene:
Re: Gearbox Oil Replacement by nurey(m): 8:58pm On Sep 02, 2016
have you tried the double clutch down wink pressing the clutch twice before switching to gear 2 sad if this works grin you need gear replacement cause the teeth has worn out cool
Re: Gearbox Oil Replacement by Nobody: 9:22pm On Sep 02, 2016
nurey:
have you tried the double clutch down wink pressing the clutch twice before switching to gear 2 sad if this works grin you need gear replacement cause the teeth has worn out cool
Haven't done that in motion, When I say recent, it's over 2months I have been driving it, within city and long haul travel, without gear 2.
Because a research I made showed that it not conventional right to engage gear from 1,2 3,4 5, that mean while in motion you can engage from 1 to 3.
Why I raise the question was to ascertain, how it can be done and I will do it myself for over 15 years of my owning this car, I do replace my plugs, air filter, engine oil and filter, fix my brake pad, replaces burnt out headlight, brake and this in indicators bulbs are self repairs I learnt.
Re: Gearbox Oil Replacement by Nobody: 9:23pm On Sep 02, 2016
nurey:
Haven't done that in motion, When I say recent, it's over 2months I have been driving it, within city and long haul travel, without gear 2.
Because a research I made showed that it not conventional right to engage gear from 1,2 3,4 5, that mean while in motion you can engage from 1 to 3, 4,5 and back
Why I raise the question was to ascertain, how it can be done and I will do it myself for over 15 years of my owning this car, I do replace my plugs, air filter, engine oil and filter, fix, replaces burnt out headlight, brake and sign indicators bulbs are self repairs I learnt.
Google research indicates that most manual transmission car owners neglects changing their gear oil, for which I fall I.
Re: Gearbox Oil Replacement by nurey(m): 5:25am On Sep 03, 2016
indigene:

Because a research I made showed that it not conventional right to engage gear from 1,2 3,4 5, that mean while in motion you can engage from 1 to 3, 4,5 and back
Why I raise the question was to ascertain, how it can be done and I will do it myself for over 15 years of my owning this car, I do replace my plugs, air filter, engine oil and filter, fix, replaces burnt out headlight, brake and sign indicators bulbs are self repairs I learnt.
Google research indicates that most manual transmission car owners neglects changing their gear oil, for which I fall I.

By jumping from 1 to 3,you are
1. Stressing your engine and gear
2. Fuel economy will be affected since you have to Rev more so the car doesn't stall or jerk when you skip 2
Re: Gearbox Oil Replacement by Nobody: 7:08am On Sep 06, 2016
Thanks@nurey, I tried the double clutch and the gear fall into place.
I later search for forum that discusses about Toyota cars. Truck etc issues.
I posted same question in the forum, I was able to locate the gearbox oil drain point, when I unscrewed it, the oil that came out was horrible, though SAE40 was recommended, got one from Total, my gears now engages like dream and some rattle noise I used to hear dissappears.
It's sad that Nigeria mechanics ain't fully aware that manual transmission gearbox oil can be replaced.

(1) (Reply)

This Toyota Kikai Is Absolutely Out Of This World (photos) / Stolen Vehicle / BREAKING!! Gov.willie Obiano Spotted Running Away From Campaign Ground(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.