Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,726 members, 7,875,815 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:12 PM

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) - Foreign Affairs (326) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) (6308953 Views)

Am I The Only One Whos Tired Of This Kenya Is Ahead Thread / Femi Adesina: "I Don't Lie, No Matter What"; Nigerians React / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) (329) ... (9933) (Go Down)

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Lionessza(f): 2:30pm On Apr 12, 2017
TayserMahiri:
Those satellites should be used to hunt Boko Haram and the girls

You have said no lie here
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Lionessza(f): 2:49pm On Apr 12, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

Lol. Stay there make G-string dey wear you. Unless the blacks wake up ur country will soon b living on Past glory. You guys have the power now and if you mess up, south Africa will be messed up. Your country is going down under black-rule and you are here shouting "Rainbow nation". I get am before no be property.

Hahahaha you people have been dreaming of this since 1994 and instead of falling to our faces we keep going strong we had one of the lowest illiteracy rates at one point in the continent 23 years them lazy people are in the top 3 surpassing the even the "clever giants of shit" lol. The infrastructure under lazy black government is 3 times more due to ever growing middle class and yet the Giant of shit in 60 years of independence has no proper roads . In 23 years the lazy blacks of africa have access to 24 hrs uninterrupted electricity whilst the Giants of kaak are shitting in the dark. 60 years later the clever blacks still don't have access to clean drinking water whilst the lazy blacks after just 23 years managed to give themselves just that. 23 years later once dusty roads of soweto are tarred and are now being compared to lagos a city filled big lipped lybian aspiring slaves . After 60 years shouldn't people be queuing for visas to the "most industrious country " in the continent ? Lol why are these free clever people running to slavery ? Hahahahaha so many questions

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 3:14pm On Apr 12, 2017
Lionessza:

Hahahaha you people have been dreaming of this since 1994 and instead of falling to our faces we keep going strong we had one of the lowest illiteracy rates at one point in the continent 23 years them lazy people are in the top 3 surpassing the even the "clever giants of shit" lol. The infrastructure under lazy black government is 3 times more due to ever growing middle class and yet the Giant of shit in 60 years of independence has no proper roads . In 23 years the lazy blacks of africa have access to 24 hrs uninterrupted electricity whilst the Giants of kaak are shitting in the dark. 60 years later the clever blacks still don't have access to clean drinking water whilst the lazy blacks after just 23 years managed to give themselves just that. 23 years later once dusty roads of soweto are tarred and are now being compared to lagos a city filled big lipped lybian aspiring slaves . After 60 years shouldn't people be queuing for visas to the "most industrious country " in the continent ? Lol why are these free clever people running to slavery ? Hahahahaha so many questions
yohhhh

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 3:30pm On Apr 12, 2017
Muafrika2:

In my opinion the best Nigerian City should be Port Harcourt. It's more organized from the photos here. Way better than Lagos and Abuja which are known to be the major cities.

Abuja should be one of the best planned cities on the continent,lagos is transforming herself into a true megacity,so there seem to be an aggressive urban renewal and regeneration,there is massive expansion of the city,which makes her the largest and the fastest growing construction corridor on the continent,portharcourt was resuscitated in the last dispensation,after years of neglect,though the new administration have turned its back from continueing laudable projects of his predecesor,even as he initiated his own projects.

Azura edo gas turbine power plant-IPP smiley

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 3:33pm On Apr 12, 2017
Naija smiley

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by naijalander: 3:54pm On Apr 12, 2017
haters gon hate...
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by iblawi(m): 4:10pm On Apr 12, 2017
Muafrika2:

In my opinion the best Nigerian City should be Port Harcourt. It's more organized from the photos here. Way better than Lagos and Abuja which are known to be the major cities.

We are not judging from photo. We are on ground and we can judge from all angles.

The fact is that only few pics are for all our cities. The little we have is what we post.

We will keep posting as we get more.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 4:43pm On Apr 12, 2017
Enugu,042,coal city, real estates massively expanding,huge developments booming,real estate made easy,this is totally diffetent from onitsha-another great city,multi-storey apartments increasingly springing up in enugu smiley

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 4:46pm On Apr 12, 2017
Apart from enugu city,a sister urban center is in the making,nsuka -home to one of nigeria's premier citadel of erudition,university of nigeria,nsuka smiley

Pls come and invest in nigeria,your return on investment is guaranteed!!!

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 7:12pm On Apr 12, 2017
TayserMahiri:

You confused me a bit I thought you were a Nigerian. Or is Nigerien for someone from Niger? Nonetheless, I agree with you completely.
However, there is nothing to feel embarrassed about however poor you are, the best thing is to appreciate yourself. The positivity with comparing is that it can change people's approach towards getting things done. Besides, it can foster togetherness when people get to understand each other.

I must say I didn't have any idea that Malawi is in any kind of turmoil. How media is skewed leaving some smaller nations in perpetual darkness. How I wish we could embrace Swahili and end the mind colonization. Either ways, always optimistic

Yes, people from Niger republic are Nigeriens which can be confused for Nigerians.

Malawi is one of the poorest countries in the world.
Take out your time to analyze all the African countries one after the other, check their literacy rates, poverty rates, maternal and infant mortality rates, GDP per capital, wealth distribution, HDMI, starvation rates e.t.c and you can ascertain the level of progress of such countries.
I have done that and have been able to asceetain the level of progress of all African countries.

Individual poverty is different from National poverty. No way you can console yourself over national poverty.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 7:22pm On Apr 12, 2017
arinzeejikonye:
Enugu,042,coal city, real estates massively expanding,huge developments booming,real estate made easy,this is totally diffetent from onitsha-another great city,multi-storey apartments increasingly springing up in enugu smiley

Am thinking of coming there to open a fake Kenyan embassy. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 7:45pm On Apr 12, 2017
Muafrika2:

Am thinking of coming there to open a fake Kenyan embassy. cheesy

Lol,hilarious grin grin,that would be awesome,but awkward its irresponsible,illegitimate,unattainable,inconcievable,infact unachievable,lol.

You can engage a legitimate sturf over here,the opportunities are bound bro,naija is the real deal lol grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 7:59pm On Apr 12, 2017
[img][/img]
MtuMsuper:

A very unhelpful and dare i say even nonsense argument You seem to suggest that a country is more likely to succeed if they have a small population and conversely say that they should also be excused for a lack of success if they have a large one. By your reasoning there should be a median or average population which should be the success point ,to put it for lack of a better term. And what would be this mysterious population size?
Ps: Having visited both Namibia and Botswana, i feel the ingredients for their success is actual and deliberate efforts and programmes by govt to uplift the micro and macro aspects of the personal and national economy. And a respect of systems and institutions by both the govt and citizens. For instance, how would you explain the huuuuge difference in attitude to littering by the average Namibian or Motswana to the average Nairobian? One can even chip in with differences in temperament as well, but that's not the point. The level of social sophistication in place counts for alot in terms of tbe choices people make in a place and their overall wellbeing.
The rich gulf arab countries have demonstrated WISDOM in how they use their hydrocarbon wealth. They have put in long term measures to ensure they remain prosperous nations even after the oil runs out, as it must​.They are very busy developing their transport systems and the UAE is now an undisputed global aviation and financial hub. These things bring $, jobs and skills into the economy, bro. What wisdom have the oil rich african nations demonstrated in the past and even now with regard to how they use their oil wealth​? While Norway might not be an appropriate example, at least they have demonstrated wisdom in how they use their oil wealth. This is the wikipedia entry for their national sovereign wealth fund : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_Pension_Fund_of_Norway . The point is oil wealth should have been used to build water supply and sewer systems, affordable housing, roads, develop agriculture, stimulate non oil/gas economic sectors and stimulate overall economic growth, just to mention a few. Sadly, it hasn't and Nigeria and Angola are Africa's best examples of poorly used oil wealth. While they should be leading us in all indicators, they are proudly holding the rear end, and producing the likes of Diezani and Isabel dos Santos. Shame! You cant buy wisdom at your local shop, now can you?

Enforcement of law in a smaller country is easier than in a larger country.
Why is it that some states in US are very rich while others are seriously struggling? Forget the overall statistics you see for USA. When you break down the various Human Index statistics for USA into her various states, you will observe the great difference in the welfares of the different states.
Due to the largeness of large countries, a single centre cannot always hold the nation compared to smaller countries where the centre can easily control everyone.

Take Nigeria for instance, if you divide Nigeria into North and South and take seperate welfare statistics, you will find out that the margin btw Southern and Northern Nigeria is very high because Southern Nigerian states are making more significant progress.
Infact, if Southern Nigeria is considered to be a country of it's own, it will be best or at least among the best in Africa in most welfare Index statistics, but Northern Nigeria keeps dragging Nigeria backward and there is little or nothing Southernerns can do about it.
Take for instance poverty rate in Nigeria as a whole is about 35%, but for Southern Nigeria alone, it is just 19%. National literacy rate is about 65%, but for the South it is as high as 90%.
Even within Southern Nigeria, Lagos state has distinguished itself from the others. Lagos state (if considered a country of it's own) is a middle income economy just like South Africa, Brazil, China, Malaysia e.t.c not to talk of other Human/State index statistical analysis where it can even surpass all these aforementioned nations.
All these are happening because the Lagos state govt on their own have made their state to work.

For instance it might be assumed that Nigeria is dirty as a country, but there are some states in Nigeria that are as clean as London and their state govts emphasize on sanitation and the people are very neat. When i first visited 2 neighbouring southern states in Nigeria, Cross river and Akwa Ibom state, infact i wondered if i was still in Nigeria. These people are very neat and their cities are as clean as Los Angeles. I hardly saw a paper on the floor and there were waste bins all over Calabar city, Gardens and Garden parks everywhere on the roadside, very calm, civilized and law abiding citizens and many more, but most times these people are not really judged for who they are as a people or state, the national image which is formed by many states that refuse to work on their people now defines them.

My point in all these is that for larger nations, the centre cannot actually hold the whole country together or enforce policies that will make the whole country progress and develop at one pace, different regions or states develop independently according to their state policies and government. At least, that is the kind of govt practiced in Nigeria and most large nations like India e.t.c.
I was interracting with some Indians some days ago and that was when i knew that the kind of poverty you see on TV in India is mostly limited to northern India. Most South Indian states are quite more wealthy ( e.g Tamil Nadu), more educated, more progressive and most of the ground braeaking medical research and activities you see from India affecting the world is from Southern India while many in the north keep on using religion and caste system to keep a large part of their population in poverty and perpetual backwardness.

Assuming Tamil Nadu state in India (with about 80 million people) was a nation of it's own, they would have been making progress comparable with the likes of Malaysia and Indonesia.

This is exactly the same reason why it is easier for smaller countries to progress than Larger ones!
This does not mean we should not give smaller countries credit for their progress, absolutely not, just that it is easier for them.

I did not even talk about the homogenous part. These arabic countries share one language, religion and ethnicity. Smaller countries usually have homogeinity which easily allows them to function and make decisions as one people unlike in a place like Nigeria where a President or Lawmaker from Yoruba nation extraction will bring a policy which is aimed at bringing national development, but most of the Hausa state govts and lawmakers will reject it because it is against the ethics of their religion and ethnicity. In such a case, there is nothing the yoruba christian or yoruba people can do about it because State govts have their autonomy to a large extent and make their own decisions.

If you don't get this point, then i really wonder what to tell you.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 8:28pm On Apr 12, 2017
arinzeejikonye:

Its difficult taking pics of everywhere from a spot,the city is really beautiful,it is expanding by every second,and will match enugu soon,so coal city got to watch her back honestly,i went for nigerian centenary quiz competition,that was my first visit to enugu,the city was very beautiful,but comparing the both can be very difficult,both are serene,orderly,with nice aesthetics and enviromental ambiance wink
Iblawi

Seriously i must say i am amazed at Enugu and Owerri. My friends and family members who went there (mostly for youth service) usually come back with remarkable experiences of not just the place but the people there.

It's sad that these places are underrated in Nigeria. Most times when we think of Igbo land in Nigeria, the first thing we think of is Onitsha and Aba (i dont mean both places are not great, they are economic giants), but this image of desperate and hussling people with dirty environment always comes to mind and we tend to generalize Igbo land for that and some of us even dread stepping our feet there.

I must say i love this pattern of the South-east Nigerua whereby some cities are meant for economic purposes with lots of trading and manufacturing (Aba and Onitsha) while others (Owerri and Enugu) are meant for the educated and enlightened civil servants.

However, i think it would have been better if these attributes were merged into one city. It would have been very lovely to visit Aba and see all the wonderful manufacturing and trading done in one part of the city and also move a little away from that part and see another part with so much beauty and class like Enugu/owerri, so that while one part is generating income for the state/city, another is serving like a tourist destination or welcoming area for the less business minded folks who prefer a serene environment. Such a city would definitely be an international destination.

My fear in this kind of system practiced in the East is that states like Anambra and Abia will be very rich (which of course they are), but states like Enugu and Imo would be less financially buoyant and may not even be able to meet to their full capacity of becoming great tourist destinations due to lack of internally generated funds. I think this may be the reason why no city in the SE is very populated and cosmopolitan. (i may be wrong though).
What do you think?
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 8:37pm On Apr 12, 2017
iblawi:
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/north-central/226024-abuja-light-rail-project-90-completed-minister.html

Lagos state light rail

Rivers State light rail

Cross river state light rail

Abuja light rail

Ogun state light rail.

This is lovely from the state governments. Am sure more States government will start there own light rail soon as Nigeria moves out of recession.

But seriously why are some states making progress and others are not? My State of origin Plateau, you can never find in all these developmental endeavours, what about Delta state my home and residence state, with all the money in the state yet no major infrastructural development.
Some states like Zamfara, Yobe, Kwara, Kogi, Ekiti, Ebonyi, Taraba, Bauchi e.t.c, you only hear them for bad news.

Our state govts are not really accountable to anyone, maybe that's the reason some governors joke with the lives of the millions of their citizens.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 8:46pm On Apr 12, 2017
Muafrika2:

Port-harcourt (Rivers state) are trying, but they are still lagging behind Lagos state and Abuja in terms of development, security and infrastructure. Compared to how rich they are they are making snail progress.
Yes they have a great city plan and structure, but the govt is not meeting up to the population explosion of the city and the suburbs are really suffering unlike Lagos state which is meeting up to it's population explosion and the suburbs are experiencing wonderful development and integration.
PH (Rivers state) is supposed to be challenging Lagos now in many aspects considering the large allocation and internally generated revenue of the state, but that is not happening.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Maduawuchukwu(m): 9:23pm On Apr 12, 2017
Lionessza:

Madam you did not even see the context in which I made the statement and u just went ballistic. Your country man insulted my nation and I merely gave him a reality check.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by MtuMsuper: 8:31am On Apr 13, 2017
Nowenuse:
[img][/img]

Enforcement of law in a smaller country is easier than in a larger country.
Why is it that some states in US are very rich while others are seriously struggling? Forget the overall statistics you see for USA. When you break down the various Human Index statistics for USA into her various states, you will observe the great difference in the welfares of the different states.
Due to the largeness of large countries, a single centre cannot always hold the nation compared to smaller countries where the centre can easily control everyone.

Take Nigeria for instance, if you divide Nigeria into North and South and take seperate welfare statistics, you will find out that the margin btw Southern and Northern Nigeria is very high because Southern Nigerian states are making more significant progress.
Infact, if Southern Nigeria is considered to be a country of it's own, it will be best or at least among the best in Africa in most welfare Index statistics, but Northern Nigeria keeps dragging Nigeria backward and there is little or nothing Southernerns can do about it.
Take for instance poverty rate in Nigeria as a whole is about 35%, but for Southern Nigeria alone, it is just 19%. National literacy rate is about 65%, but for the South it is as high as 90%.
Even within Southern Nigeria, Lagos state has distinguished itself from the others. Lagos state (if considered a country of it's own) is a middle income economy just like South Africa, Brazil, China, Malaysia e.t.c not to talk of other Human/State index statistical analysis where it can even surpass all these aforementioned nations.
All these are happening because the Lagos state govt on their own have made their state to work.

For instance it might be assumed that Nigeria is dirty as a country, but there are some states in Nigeria that are as clean as London and their state govts emphasize on sanitation and the people are very neat. When i first visited 2 neighbouring southern states in Nigeria, Cross river and Akwa Ibom state, infact i wondered if i was still in Nigeria. These people are very neat and their cities are as clean as Los Angeles. I hardly saw a paper on the floor and there were waste bins all over Calabar city, Gardens and Garden parks everywhere on the roadside, very calm, civilized and law abiding citizens and many more, but most times these people are not really judged for who they are as a people or state, the national image which is formed by many states that refuse to work on their people now defines them.

My point in all these is that for larger nations, the centre cannot actually hold the whole country together or enforce policies that will make the whole country progress and develop at one pace, different regions or states develop independently according to their state policies and government. At least, that is the kind of govt practiced in Nigeria and most large nations like India e.t.c.
I was interracting with some Indians some days ago and that was when i knew that the kind of poverty you see on TV in India is mostly limited to northern India. Most South Indian states are quite more wealthy ( e.g Tamil Nadu), more educated, more progressive and most of the ground braeaking medical research and activities you see from India affecting the world is from Southern India while many in the north keep on using religion and caste system to keep a large part of their population in poverty and perpetual backwardness.

Assuming Tamil Nadu state in India (with about 80 million people) was a nation of it's own, they would have been making progress comparable with the likes of Malaysia and Indonesia.

This is exactly the same reason why it is easier for smaller countries to progress than Larger ones!
This does not mean we should not give smaller countries credit for their progress, absolutely not, just that it is easier for them.

I did not even talk about the homogenous part. These arabic countries share one language, religion and ethnicity. Smaller countries usually have homogeinity which easily allows them to function and make decisions as one people unlike in a place like Nigeria where a President or Lawmaker from Yoruba nation extraction will bring a policy which is aimed at bringing national development, but most of the Hausa state govts and lawmakers will reject it because it is against the ethics of their religion and ethnicity. In such a case, there is nothing the yoruba christian or yoruba people can do about it because State govts have their autonomy to a large extent and make their own decisions.

If you don't get this point, then i really wonder what to tell you.
But you stiil dont see my point either, now do you? Since when is a country like kenya with approx 50 m people , a small country? We have similar dynamics in population i.e ethnic and religious diversity. Dont you think, the size isn't important , but the level of statehood within it.I take Singapore as an example. Composed of ethnic chinese, malays and indians, its level of statehood cannot be compared to even kenya. They do things for the common good. The sort of greedy politicians cum tenderpreneurs you find in many african kleptocracies would certainly face summary execution in Singapore. Can you imagine a place where greedy "businessmen" collude with state officials to steal money meant for kids drugs in a country like Singapore?
That still leaves my big query still unanswered: why hasn't the windfalls from oil sales been used to build water and sanitation lines, electricity and other utilities, fund basic education etc etc . Is that a function of country size or is it sheer irresponsibility? I think the latter.

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by MtuMsuper: 8:34am On Apr 13, 2017
Nowenuse:

Port-harcourt (Rivers state) are trying, but they are still lagging behind Lagos state and Abuja in terms of development, security and infrastructure. Compared to how rich they are they are making snail progress.
Yes they have a great city plan and structure, but the govt is not meeting up to the population explosion of the city and the suburbs are really suffering unlike Lagos state which is meeting up to it's population explosion and the suburbs are experiencing wonderful development and integration.
PH (Rivers state) is supposed to be challenging Lagos now in many aspects considering the large allocation and internally generated revenue of the state, but that is not happening.
I have learnt alot about nigeria from you. You give a clear unbiased picture. much appreciated. mucho gracias amigo
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 11:49am On Apr 13, 2017
MtuMsuper:

But you stiil dont see my point either, now do you? Since when is a country like kenya with approx 50 m people , a small country? We have similar dynamics in population i.e ethnic and religious diversity. Dont you think, the size isn't important , but the level of statehood within it.I take Singapore as an example. Composed of ethnic chinese, malays and indians, its level of statehood cannot be compared to even kenya. They do things for the common good. The sort of greedy politicians cum tenderpreneurs you find in many african kleptocracies would certainly face summary execution in Singapore. Can you imagine a place where greedy "businessmen" collude with state officials to steal money meant for kids drugs in a country like Singapore?
That still leaves my big query still unanswered: why hasn't the windfalls from oil sales been used to build water and sanitation lines, electricity and other utilities, fund basic education etc etc . Is that a function of country size or is it sheer irresponsibility? I think the latter.

I never said that Kenya was a small country. Considering most countries on the continent, Kenya is a large one.
I was only making reference to smaller African countries in population like Namibia and Botswana with a large landmass of rescources who have made tremendous progress and alluded it to their very small population. Same thing with the oil rich gulf arabic nations who are more homogenous and do not even operate on democracy.

In Nigeria for instance we have state govts and our states have some degree of autonomy from the federal govt. Our federal govt to a large extent cannot really question our state govts how they spend their Internally generated revenues and monthly allocation. All our Federal govt does is to allocate billions to these states monthly and the states do whatever they like with the money.

Abuja (FCT) is the only place in Nigeria where the Federal govt is directly responsible for providing the basic social amenities and infrastructure for the people and if you visit Abuja you can clearly testify that the FG is meeting up to an extent in that.
In Abuja, roads are tarred up to people's doorsteps, water supply and sanitation is there and that is why the place stands out and can compare among the best cities in Africa.
However, you cannot expect the Federal govt to go and sanitize, plan or tar roads to people's doorsteps in Port harcourt, Kaduna or Enugu cities, that is the responsibility of the state and local govts. This is why many parts of Nigeria are not working because most state govts are failures.

I attended a Federal govt secondary school and university in Nigeria and it may shock you to know that in my secondary school we pay nothing more than $10 dollars annually, infact it is free, but yet we had good facilities which were being renovated time to time and we had access to better subject courses than our counterparts in state govt and private schools.
The same thing with our Federal govt universities. Although they may not be meeting up to world standard, but at least they provide the basic educational requirements at extremely cheap or free costs. Now, when you go to the state govt schools, you find in some states that many are in ruins and abject dilapidation (and the federal govt can do absolutely nothing about them). Eucation is primarily the responsibility of the state govts, the federal govts can only have few secondary and tertiary institutions in a state which cannot meet up to 5% of people from that state.
I guess you can now see why a large country like Nigeria with all the oil money is not meeting up (Our state govts).
This is why many Nigerians are clamouring for restructuring and regionalism cos our state govts are failing (not all though, but majority).

This is typically unlike smaller countries where the single centred govt can easily enforce development uniformly all over the small country and affect everyone's life equally.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nowenuse: 12:16pm On Apr 13, 2017
MtuMsuper:

I have learnt alot about nigeria from you. You give a clear unbiased picture. much appreciated. mucho gracias amigo

U are welcome.

I also wish you to enlighten me about Kenya and East Africa too.
On a serious note, why is East Africa not united as such? I really wish to see another large working Black African country which will rival Nigeria's population and cultural influence on the continent in order to make our leaders ashamed and challenged to work harder.

I think most times Nigeria sees other African nations as too small or inconsequential and conclude whatever progress these countries make as owing to their small size and population. The only country whose progress challenges many Nigerians is South Africa and most times we easily excuse ourselves with the fact that South Africa was a white founded and controlled economy.

You guys have a common lingua franca and colonial history in East Africa (TZ, Kenya and Uganda specifically), why can't you guys work on that language, unify yourselves and emerge a continental power?
Look at us in West Africa, in spite of the fact that we don't have a common lingua franca nor colonial history, ECOWAS' functioning can be clearly compared to EAC (if not better). Why is that so?

I wish Nigeria had a unifying language like you guys, we would have worked on it and bridged many divides hindering our progress. What exactly is the problem with east Africa? Can u enlighten me?
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by kikuyu1(m): 1:34pm On Apr 13, 2017
arinzeejikonye:

Kikuyu dearest,why is your innerself engulfed in hatred? you look embittered,why laching on frivolities and trivialities? take a chillpill dude,no human is infallible,typing fast could lead to typos,at least you could decipher the content,no matter the style of format employed to convey the message,the thread is huge to accommodate every tom,dick and harry.

Pls,stop picking on everyone here,tryna hush up people's opinion and the medium via which they choose to express themselves.

No hard feelings,one love.
Nigga,beneath your dusty agbada is nothing but dishonesty! Even your fake humility is fake-stop pretending to be Oprah,drop the excessive verbiage and false deliberately misleading pic spam. Iblawi,I'm still waiting for the specs on the Naij supercomputer.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 1:43pm On Apr 13, 2017
Nowenuse:

I think most times Nigeria sees other African nations as too small or inconsequential and conclude whatever progress these countries make as owing to their small size and population. The only country whose progress challenges many Nigerians is South Africa and most times we easily excuse ourselves with the fact that South Africa was a white founded and controlled economy.

My brother, I hope you guys change this mentality that big equals failure. Many countries have populations we can consider truly big e.g USA, Indonesia, Japan and Brazil, but they are doing waay better than much of Africa.
The second highlighted part is usually a sign of inferiority complex that much of Africa has not yet managed to overcome. Could it be the reason you guys don't like seeing white people in pictures?
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 13, 2017
Nowenuse:

I wish Nigeria had a unifying language like you guys, we would have worked on it and bridged many divides hindering our progress. What exactly is the problem with east Africa? Can u enlighten me?

East Africa would be miles ahead were it not for one country called Tanzania. Trust me if it was left for Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda, East Africa would be electing a single president by now.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 1:48pm On Apr 13, 2017
Nowenuse:

In Nigeria for instance we have state govts and our states have some degree of autonomy from the federal govt. Our federal govt to a large extent cannot really [b]question our state govts [/b]how they spend their Internally generated revenues and monthly allocation. All our Federal govt does is to allocate billions to these states monthly and the states do whatever they like with the money.

If this is the case, then your institutions are weak. The constitution should have laid down oversight means so that governors and their cronies don't make states their private property. Can't the governors be impeached? From what I get, it is that Nigeria got the states a bit too soon and should probably have waited longer to create a level of homogeneity before giving the states individual powers.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by donniemc: 1:55pm On Apr 13, 2017
TayserMahiri:

East Africa would be miles ahead were it not for one country called Tanzania. Trust me if it was left for Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda, East Africa would be electing a single president by now.
Really?, how is Tanzania holding you guys back and why exactly did you not mention Ethopia?
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 2:12pm On Apr 13, 2017
donniemc:
Really?, how is Tanzania holding you guys back and why exactly did you not mention Ethopia?

In many ways. First, the country was responsible for the break up of the first EAC where it made arguments about kenya dominating others. Over the last few years, the country deliberately derails the process of integration including not attending meetings and not being active. Generally, there is a contest between kenya and Tz, where Tz feels her socialist system of govt is better and the kenyan capitalist system is worse. In simpler terms, Tanzania does not want an integration in which capitalism will be the way for fears that kenya will dominate everything. Rwanda and Uganda have no such fears and have even signed free movement accords. Citizens of kenya, Rwanda, Uganda can travel to any of them with their national I.D only and nothing else. Meanwhile, kenyans are being chased from tanzania of late for lacking tanzania I.Ds and many more things that would take me a whole day to write about.

I did not mention Ethiopia, but should probably have because of a language barrier that exists. Ethiopians don't speak Swahili, they speak Amharic. However, Ethiopia is probably Kenya's friendliest neighbor and is very keen on Joining all aspects of the EAC integration process, which in my opinion will never work as long as Tanzania is in it. In fact, the EAC is referred as a coalition of the willing lately, in reference to Tz not willing to join in. And their socialist system is crap anyway, it would never help a 21st century economy that needs to grow.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by donniemc: 2:27pm On Apr 13, 2017
TayserMahiri:

In many ways. First, the country was responsible for the break up of the first EAC where it made arguments about kenya dominating others. Over the last few years, the country deliberately derails the process of integration including not attending meetings and not being active. Generally, there is a contest between kenya and Tz, where Tz feels her socialist system of govt is better and the kenyan capitalist system is worse. In simpler terms, Tanzania does not want an integration in which capitalism will be the way for fears that kenya will dominate everything. Rwanda and Uganda have no such fears and have even signed free movement accords. Citizens of kenya, Rwanda, Uganda can travel to any of them with their national I.D only and nothing else. Meanwhile, kenyans are being chased from tanzania of late and many more things that would take me a whole day to write about.

I did not mention Ethiopia, but should probably have because of a language barrier that exists. Ethiopians don't speak Swahili, they speak Amharic. However, Ethiopia is probably Kenya's friendliest neighbor and is very keen on Joining all aspects of the EAC integration process, which in my opinion will never work as long as Tanzania is in it. In fact, the EAC is referred as a coalition of the willing lately, in reference to Tz not willing to join in. And their socialist system is crap anyway, it would never help a 21st century economy that needs to grow.

Wow, this is very contrary to what i used to think. My parents are very "Pan African" so as a child i grew up in Nigeria watching "EATV,ITV...e.t.c"
And from what i saw on Tv, Tz looked like the warmest East African nation.Its kinda hard to think they are the least cooperative, oh well never believe everything you see on Tv smiley.

On a lighter note,
why aren't Kenyan men marrying all those pretty Habesha women in Ethopia and Erithrea?. Also which East African Country do you think is best for a Nigerian to invest in property?. Like what are the average Land and House prices in most East African states?
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 3:12pm On Apr 13, 2017
donniemc:

Wow, this is very contrary to what i used to think. My parents are very "Pan African" so as a child i grew up in Nigeria watching "EATV,ITV...e.t.c"
And from what i saw on Tv, Tz looked like the warmest East African nation.Its kinda hard to think they are the least cooperative, oh well never believe everything you see on Tv smiley.

On a lighter note,
why aren't Kenyan men marrying all those pretty Habesha women in Ethopia and Erithrea?. Also which East African Country do you think is best for a Nigerian to invest in property?. Like what are the average Land and House prices in most East African states?

Tanzanians are warm people no doubt, but their initial system of governance was more poised against change. You can imagine even as neighbors, kenya/Tz have not made joint package tours/ marketing despite some of our parks striding across the border e.g Masai Mara-Serengeti, which are essentially one park in two countries. Yet kenya has package tours and single marketing campaigns with far away neighbors like Seychelles. Kenyan tour vans cannot cross to Tanzania, but Tanzania tour vans can cross into kenya without questions. Talk of North and S. Korea, we try to do everything to make them see its beneficial if they reciprocated but they cannot move an inch.

The reason why kenyan men don't seem to marry the beautiful Habeshas is that the South of Ethiopia is inhabited by Oromo people who are all the way into kenya. The Habeshas are further into the center of Ethiopia. Then, from the Ethiopian border into Kenya is purely an arid inhospitable region full of tribal communities and untill recently, you could not risk travelling to Ethiopia via road. Infact, about half of Kenya northwards is an arid area and not much integration with Ethiopia has been going on. There are however many habeshas married to kenyan men in nairobi.

However, the two governments are doing all they can to link the two in what is known as the Lapsset Corridor. Kenya is completing massive road construction to Ethiopia while Ethiopia is doing the same southwards, and they will also build a rail to link to kenyas that is headed north.

If you ask me about investing, I have no doubt that Kenya would offer the best returns. It is also by far the most stable, don't mind our hot politics that may sometimes boil over. But Land in kenya is expensive and housing too. If you want cheap land and houses, Tanzania would be an ideal place, but they don't sell land to foreigners. Rwanda has the best environment for doing business, you can be assured of never having to bribe anyone over there and security is almost guaranteed. I'm not an expert in property prices but the average land price in areas close to (not in) nairobi would be about 9000 USD for a sizable 50 by 100 plot. The housing is there to cater for any class. For a foreigner, Kenya is the best because no one cares where you come from so long as you are investing.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by donniemc: 4:01pm On Apr 13, 2017
TayserMahiri:

Tanzanians are warm people no doubt, but their initial system of governance was more poised against change. You can imagine even as neighbors, kenya/Tz have not made joint package tours/ marketing despite some of our parks striding across the border e.g Masai Mara-Serengeti, which are essentially one park in two countries. Yet kenya has package tours and single marketing campaigns with far away neighbors like Seychelles. Kenyan tour vans cannot cross to Tanzania, but Tanzania tour vans can cross into kenya without questions. Talk of North and S. Korea, we try to do everything to make them see its beneficial if they reciprocated but they cannot move an inch.

The reason why kenyan men don't seem to marry the beautiful Habeshas is that the South of Ethiopia is inhabited by Oromo people who are all the way into kenya. The Habeshas are further into the center of Ethiopia. Then, from the Ethiopian border into Kenya is purely an arid inhospitable region full of tribal communities and untill recently, you could not risk travelling to Ethiopia via road. Infact, about half of Kenya northwards is an arid area and not much integration with Ethiopia has been going on. There are however many habeshas married to kenyan men in nairobi.

However, the two governments are doing all they can to link the two in what is known as the Lapsset Corridor. Kenya is completing massive road construction to Ethiopia while Ethiopia is doing the same southwards, and they will also build a rail to link to kenyas that is headed north.

If you ask me about investing, I have no doubt that Kenya would offer the best returns. It is also by the far the most stable, don't mind our hot politics that may sometimes boil over. But Land in kenya is expensive and housing too. If you want cheap land and houses, Tanzania would be an ideal place, but they don't sell land to foreigners. Rwanda has the best environment for doing business, you can be assured of never having to bribe anyone over there and security is almost guaranteed. I'm not an expert in property prices but the average land price in areas close to (not in) nairobi would be about 9000 USD for a sizable 50 by 100 plot. The housing is there to cater for any class. For a foreigner, Kenya is the best because no one cares where you come from so long as you are investing.

Thanks for the great reply i learnt a lot. I just did some small research on that "Lapsset Corridor Project". You know building one or two Petrol stations along that corridor won't be a bad idea, land would be super cheap there too as it would practically belong to nobody. Unfortunately though the project might not be completed until 2030.So baba na very long ting.

Speaking of oil, How do most states in the region get oil supplies?,how easy is it to setup a Gas Stations. Are there exhorbitant fess to pay to acquire licenses or is it just as easy as taking a walk in the Serengeti?.
$9000 x 2 is quite a high price to pay for a 50 x 100 plot that is intended for a Gas station.

Am going to start building my first Gas station in my Home state (Kwara) here in Nigeria before the year runs out (by God's grace of course).Kwara state is not Lagos so its fairly cheap and easy to build a Gas station down here. Like i said earlier i grew up with this "Pan African" mentality so setting up shop in other African Countries is really on my mind.

I would really love if you can enlighten me a little on the oil industry in East Africa. Am pretty sure most Nigerians on this thread would love to learn too. Enough of this baseless bashing and comparisons. What African needs now is cooperation.But we can't cooperate if the only thing we know about each other are the negative things.

Can you imagine?, I just learnt that a Nigerian (Bolaji) and a kenyan (Ken) setup a company called Cellulant. The company is sooo big and successful its going to be listed as a Fortune 500 company a few years from now.thats what happens when Africans collaborate. I shared a Youtube video about a Speech ken gave about their humble beginnings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZWbgb21AA8

I really wish this thread would be about how we as Nigeria can join hands with kenyans and other Africans to build Africa. But nooo its about baseless comparisons that don't help anyone. Na wah for all of una.

For instance, am an Android developer, i would be really stoked to make an app with a Kenyan or any other willing African for that matter. But......

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 4:42pm On Apr 13, 2017
donniemc:

Thanks for the great reply i learnt a lot. I just did some small research on that "Lapsset Corridor Project". You know building one or two Petrol stations along that corridor won't be a bad idea, land would be super cheap there too as it would practically belong to nobody. Unfortunately though the project might not be completed until 2030.So baba na very long ting.

Speaking of oil, How do most states in the region get oil supplies?,how easy is it to setup a Gas Stations. Are there exhorbitant fess to pay to acquire licenses or is it just as easy as taking a walk in the Serengeti?.
$9000 x 2 is quite a high price to pay for a 50 x 100 plot that is intended for a Gas station.

Am going to start building my first Gas station in my Home state (Kwara) here in Nigeria before the year runs out (by God's grace of course).Kwara state is not Lagos so its fairly cheap and easy to build a Gas station down here. Like i said earlier i grew up with this "Pan African" mentality so setting up shop in other African Countries is really on my mind.

I would really love if you can enlighten me a little on the oil industry in East Africa. Am pretty sure most Nigerians on this thread would love to learn too. Enough of this baseless bashing and comparisons. What African needs now is cooperation.But we can't cooperate if the only thing we know about each other are the negative things.

Can you imagine?, I just learnt that a Nigerian (Bolaji) and a kenyan (Ken) setup a company called Cellulant. The company is sooo big and successful its going to be listed as a Fortune 500 company a few years from now.thats what happens when Africans collaborate. I shared a Youtube video about a Speech ken gave about their humble beginnings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZWbgb21AA8

I really wish this thread would be about how we as Nigeria can join hands with kenyans and other Africans to build Africa. But nooo its about baseless comparisons that don't help anyone. Na wah for all of una.

For instance, am an Android developer, i would be really stoked to make an app with a Kenyan or any other willing African for that matter. But......

Wow, great to see Ken and Bolaji, I had no idea. Testament to what Pan African unity can bring.

Setting up a gas station is just like setting up any other business. Take a look at this kenyan blog guys discussing the challenges and stuff. Some swahili here and there but should be a good starting point of interacting with people who have tried it.

https://www.kenyatalk.com/index.php?threads/opening-a-simple-petrol-station.31428/

Generally, you need a business permit of between Ksh7,500 – Ksh15,000 ( around 75 to 150 USD) ,a fire certificate and a health certificate for your premises from the County Government before you start to operate your gas business. You should also install a functional fire extinguisher within the premises. Also, you must visit the National Environmental Authority (NEMA) to confirm whether your gas business will need certification or not. Not much hustle if you ask me.

One more thing, you don't get to set your oil prices in kenya because the govt set up the Energy Regulatory Commision (ERC) that sets the oil prices for each month to stop cartels from hoarding oil and selling it at exorbitant prices. This is done because all oil is imported by the govt and stored in depots from where distributors get them. Therefore, the govt knows at what price they bought the oil and anyone else should thus not exceed a certain limit just for personal gain. For this reason, you will find that oil prices are falling in kenya while going up elsewhere (or vice versa) in the world because the govt had stocked a lot of it. The price ceilling does not however affect sellers, they do good business. I don't know how the oil industry will play out once kenya starts producing oil. I'm sure nigerians would do a great job of capacity building here.

All the best on your Gas business in Akwara state, its definitely gonna be successful as you sound very strategic and focused.

(1) (2) (3) ... (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) (329) ... (9933)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.