Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,570 members, 7,921,181 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 07:13 PM

FG Not Importing GM Rice, Says Presidency - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Not Importing GM Rice, Says Presidency (17624 Views)

IMF: Northeast Has Always Been Buhari's Priority, Says Presidency / Recall Of Suspended Judges: NJC Fires Back, Says Presidency Lied To Nigerians / Fayose Is Hopelessly Confused, Needs Prayers, Says Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Not Importing GM Rice, Says Presidency by ATERI(m): 9:00am On Sep 08, 2016
Gerrard59:
There's absolutely nothing in genetically modified rice. This rice has been fortified and has been of immense assistance to farmers and consumers in Asia. It's nutritional fortified and has helped in ensuring children who are Vitamin A deficient gain the vitamin whilst eating their staple food.

P.S Science trumps ideology.

Scientists always claim to be certain of everything until a new research proves them wrong. Tell me any of your studies that were not sponsored by profit-mad men and bodies. As far as genetically modified rice is concerned, most studies have been inconclusive, but since it`s about profit making, you are happy to cast it in stone. Highly chemicalised western diets give westerners a lot of diseases, that leads to too many westerners being dependent on medication, and I believe it`s this combination that alters many things in their body. Now, if you have problem with my theory, then tell me authoritatively what scientists think is the root cause of too many men in the West having problem with their gender. Also enlighten me on the role of big pharmaceuticals and lobbyists in this field. No matter how stupid you think our people are in Africa, they know that no honest human beings can speak authoritatively on the effect or long-term outcome of anything that has been genetically altered.
Re: FG Not Importing GM Rice, Says Presidency by McBrooklyn(m): 9:17am On Sep 08, 2016
Re: FG Not Importing GM Rice, Says Presidency by joseph1013: 2:53pm On Sep 08, 2016
InvertedHammer:

/
GMO foods are bad because of the underlying health hazards not limited to cancer. The western worlds are fighting hard to ban it or the least, label it as such so that consumers can make informed decision. There are about 26 countries that have total or partial ban on GMO foods and they include: Germany, Switzerland, China, Russia, Australia, Austria, France, India, Mexico, Belgium, Italy, Poland, etc.

To prove naysayers wrong, they need guinea pigs to test it on and Africans fit the profile.

If not for mental laziness, West Africa would have been the food basket of the world considering the region and climate.
\

What Western world is fighting hard to ban it? Stop chatting sh.it!
Re: FG Not Importing GM Rice, Says Presidency by joseph1013: 2:54pm On Sep 08, 2016
tobimillar:
You need to read more and read wide

I will wager a bet that I am more read than you are about this topic.
Re: FG Not Importing GM Rice, Says Presidency by thedarkside: 4:49pm On Sep 08, 2016
Edum13656:

really... re u economical or chicken?

i am only 60kilos...i am fast and i can easily out-run trouble... grin grin grin grin
Re: FG Not Importing GM Rice, Says Presidency by InvertedHammer: 5:23pm On Sep 08, 2016
joseph1013:

What Western world is fighting hard to ban it? Stop chatting sh.it!
/
I gave you a list. Yet your poverty-ravaged mind couldn't comprehend.

No need engaging you. I believe Buhari' economy is doing enough damage to losers like you already.
\
Re: FG Not Importing GM Rice, Says Presidency by thedarkside: 5:36pm On Sep 08, 2016
we have to have a rethink....by the amount of our population,i dont think the natural will be enough anymore...

but,we must garantie to study this food stuffs ourselfs....i wouldnt give the responsibility of your food and water to people that sees you as animals.... undecided

fyi...white-people see you as animals or lesser evolved human-beings.....that is the norm in developed western-nations..sorry...

na so we see am. undecided...even today it didnt changed undecided.. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided...sorry,,,,,kpele... undecided

Re: FG Not Importing GM Rice, Says Presidency by Gerrard59(m): 6:27pm On Sep 08, 2016
ATERI:

Scientists always claim to be certain of everything until a new research proves them wrong. Tell me any of your studies that were not sponsored by profit-mad men and bodies. As far as genetically modified rice is concerned, most studies have been inconclusive, but since it`s about profit making, you are happy to cast it in stone. Highly chemicalised western diets give westerners a lot of diseases, that leads to too many westerners being dependent on medication, and I believe it`s this combination that alters many things in their body. Now, if you have problem with my theory, then tell me authoritatively what scientists think is the root cause of too many men in the West having problem with their gender. Also enlighten me on the role of big pharmaceuticals and lobbyists in this field. No matter how stupid you think our people are in Africa, they know that no honest human beings can speak authoritatively on the effect or long-term outcome of anything that has been genetically altered.

Firstly, science relies on evidence. Which is why research is been conducted everyday on anything concerning GM. So far, nothing wrong or dangerous has been found. Secondly, there have been independent researches conducted which submitted their report to the EU.
GM rice studies continues, however, it has reduced hunger, lack of Vitamin A, risen farmers' incomes especially in Asia. http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2016/07/04/nobelists-to-greenpeace-drop-your-anti-science-anti-gmo-campaign/#27e3bd4b3ad7
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/former-greenpeace-leading-light-condemns-them-for-opposing-gm-golden-rice-crop-that-could-save-two-million-children-from-starvation-per-year-9097170.html
Same technology made Burkina Faso to become Africa's largest producer of cotton, hitherto, they were no where to be found in production numbers.

Actually chemical-ised foods is what GM technology aims to eradicate by reducing the amount of pesticides and herbicides sprayed on crops. Through GM technology, we have crops resistant to drought, salty conditions, pest and diseases, adverse weather conditions, long shelf life, industry specific crops - Intense- in The Netherlands.

No concrete evidence concerning males not sure of their gender. Heard/saw it from you first. Pharmaceuticals like any industry has lobbyists. Humans evolve, besides some of the diseases are due to a sedentary lifestyle; not due to GM foods.
Nevertheless, like any novel innovation/technology, it'll always be resisted either through facts or conspiracy theories from the likes of GREENPISS or FOES OF THE EARTH.

Additionally, can you please enlighten me on how we're going to feed a growing population; affordably and sustainably?

thedarkside:

we have to have a rethink....by the amount of our population,i dont think the natural will be enough anymore...
but,we must garantie to study this food stuffs ourselfs....i wouldnt give the responsibility of your food and water to people that sees you as animals.... undecided
fyi...white-people see you as animals or lesser evolved human-beings.....that is the norm in developed western-nations..sorry...
na so we see am. undecided...even today it didnt changed undecided.. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided...sorry,,,,,kpele... undecided

Which is why we have OFAB, the Biosafety law, NABDA. And please not everything should be seen from a racial angle. GM technology is in Burkina Faso, Egypt, Brazil, China. If race were to be considered in scientific developments, I doubt if Africa will be utilizing innovations from such technologies as majority if not all new technological developments comes from the west. Even IITA is partly sponsored by the USAID.
Re: FG Not Importing GM Rice, Says Presidency by ATERI(m): 10:30pm On Sep 08, 2016
Would you have problem with me saying that, there are more poor people in Nigeria than, say Germany, for instance? If not, why is it racial to say that too many men struggle to know their gender in the West compare with Africa? Or do you have any basis for disputing that?

I can see that there is more for you in this argument than you are telling me. How on earth can you discuss Genetically Modified Foods without mentioning a single negative; from the first word you typed to the last? You can see why I have every reason to accuse you of putting profit before human.

When Americans started to lobby gullible Africans to embrace Genetically Modified Foods, it was the American Academy of Environmental Medicine that pulled the rug from under their feet when they started to warn American doctors inside America not to prescribe Genetically Modified diets for their patients. Their main reason was because animal studies have shown that Genetically Modified Foods caused organ damage, accelerated aging, infertility etc.
Suddenly, American medical practitioners started to condemn its use, complaining that the milk from treated cows had more of the hormone that is linked to cancer. So what you are saying is that some scientific miracles have changed this, right?

In the UK, a government funded study demonstrated that rats fed a Genetically Modified potato developed potentially pre-cancerous cell growth, damaged immune systems and inhibited development of their brains, livers and testicles. At that point, lobbyists stepped in and the government started to dilly-dally on this important research. When the lead scientist went public, he was fired!

Please, our people have a lot to deal with already, don`t give them poison that would feed them today and kill them tomorrow. All you need to do is to state categorically that you have never heard any of the issues here before, with regard to genetically modified rice. Please go ahead and tell your audience what you know to be the side effects of GM rice before you force it down the throats of what your Western friends merely see as the biggest market in Africa.

In the 1980s, Olu Falae told Nigerians that neo-liberalism, as preached by the West, is going to safe Nigeria-you know the rest. But we can still recover from economic poison, but when your food is toxic, it`s death, VERY SLOWLY !

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Approves Two More Justices For Supreme court / Nigeria Deserves Better – Bukola Saraki As He Decamps To PDP / Buhari Appoints Babagana Kingibe As Special Envoy On Chad, Lake Chad Basin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.