Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,767 members, 7,927,130 topics. Date: Wednesday, 21 August 2024 at 10:13 AM

Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize (7856 Views)

Nelson Mandela Dead 2013” : Nobel Peace Prize 1993 Killed By Internet Death Hoax / Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize / Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by simmy(m): 3:44pm On Oct 09, 2009
wht has obama done to deserve a nobel?
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Sagamite(m): 3:46pm On Oct 09, 2009
ravenzord:

WORD!!! I agree with this all the way,Obama obviously has been making steps towards peace brokering in lotsa areas,and while it's a work in progress,it's definitel good work. Everyone was surprised when they heard the news of course,the question that reflexively comes 2 mind is,'What has he done?',but the question we should ask is,'If not him then who?'

Far more worthy winners are:

Tvsangarai or even George Clooney

The former has risked his and his family's life to get justice for people in a peaceful manner despite the physical attacks on him and his followers repeatedly. And has been able to achieve what seems to be the best outcome within his powers all through peaceful means and compromise.

The latter has gone beyond his responsibilities and shouted from the highest roof-top to highlight the sufferings of others and seek ways to end it using all his star capital to push for change and keep the issue in focus.

Just 2 far more worthy winners.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 09, 2009
Congrats to him.

whatever it was they said he did.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by MUZBO(m): 4:10pm On Oct 09, 2009
Rosabelle:

Well Mr-Im-uninformed (no pun intended) read the papers and come back. Then you'l be ready to talk with my kind ok?
Ive said all I have to say and jumping into a conversation with an uninformed character isnt worth it. Sorry.
1st your pun sucks because I never said you're uninformed. Then I've been reading the papers for your sake and a quote I came across said self-projecting smart people like you often outsmart themselves.
Why can't you tell me why your domestic peace-brokering loosers are not in contention for the prize? You just want to runaway from the sucker punch while sending me to read THE PUNCH eh Miss informed!
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by TEEZERO(m): 4:11pm On Oct 09, 2009
This going to pile on this young man more pressure.
It is enormous.
There are wars everywhere; even domestic wars that Obama has to fight.
We should just keep wishing him well.
It is enormous pressure.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by bongabiz(m): 4:13pm On Oct 09, 2009
I think they should have considered giving him the prize at a later date, when his 'efforts' at peace have actually started bearing some fruit.
Right now it seems he has been making ridiculous concessions to America's adversaries, getting nothing in return.
For example, he countermanded the United States' previous decision to build a missile defence system over Eastern Europe, and all Russia could do was issue more demands. Iran has also remained defiant despite his decision to negotiate with them since assuming office.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Theblessed(f): 4:17pm On Oct 09, 2009
Rosabelle:

I dont refute these things. Im just scared the world is looking for a kind of Messiah in that guy and he's just 1 man who can only achieve so much.
Obama is a wonderful character and has dreams and nobel visions the world hasnt heard a leader speak of in a while, and so there is this "bug" that bites everyone who looks at him or hears him speak.
But he hasnt "performed" yet. He's a wonderful talker and I think and believe he will achive a lot, but he hasnt "performed" yet. The world should allow the man breath. Give him space to work and stop heaping prizes on him he hasnt deserved.

There are many human-rights activists all over the world. There are people performing unbelieveable feats out there. Everyone wants to clap for Obama because he is the first black president.  Wanderful for him, but SO WHAT. After that, SO WHAT.
Theres much more to being a winner of this Peace Prize than being a half-cast who's father wasnt there when he was growing up. I have half-casts friends who had abscentee fathers too.
I like him as a person, but as a politician he is yet to achieve anything. Chicago is just another State in the US so I really cant be bothered about his achievements there.

The world should slow down on the guy. And thats why I said it seems the "Obama-bug" has gotten to Norway too.
I used to have a lot of respect for this Prize and the committee that does the selections, but I see right now any celebrity can win it.
I'd better go lobby!

[b]Absolutely right! The guy has not even began to perform and they are piling praises, accolades etc on him, when he had only been doing the job for under 10 months. Its not that he had pre-experience of Presidency role before taking on the job. This is ridiculous! In fact, if they would allow him, they should realise that, right now, he's on the job training, people! He has few more years ahead of him before his Presidency is again, contested and should be allowed to prove himself.  Yes, he is on the right footing - doing the right things he should do and should continue to do so.  I'm sure he will do well indeed and History will prove Black men as CAPABLE MANAGERS and it's up to other races to own up to it, if they would.  As black people, we shouldn't start to bask our selves on the little achievements he had made so far rather, we should raise our criticisms of things that ain't quite right about his management that way, he will maintain the trends of good work he is doing else, complacency will set in and standards would drop.  Imagine, condemnations from every corner about Black man's incapability of managing the world. In a nutshell, let them hold on to these accolades and we (Black people) up our game until they see what we can do.  We are about to start, we are not quite there yet - time would prove us![/b]
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Rosabelle(f): 4:23pm On Oct 09, 2009
MUZBO:

1st your pun sucks because I never said you're uninformed. Then I've been reading the papers for your sake and a quote I came across said self-projecting smart people like you often outsmart themselves.
Why can't you tell me why your domestic peace-brokering loosers are not in contention for the prize? You just want to runaway from the sucker punch while sending me to read THE PUNCH eh Miss informed!
Well actually by "Mr-Im-Uninformed", I was refering to YOU smiley. Im sorry you didnt get that.
And Im not running from anything. I just find when youve made your point youve made it and shouldnt go defending it or forcing others to take it.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by TEEZERO(m): 4:24pm On Oct 09, 2009
Obama: This prize reflects the world other winners have sought
Obama: It is a call to action.
Obama: My administraton has worked for world engagment
Obama: "Humbled" by award.
Obama: We mus confront world as we know it.
Obama: We muist not accept indignity in the world.
Obama: The award must be shared by everyone who strive for  justice.
Obama: Some of the challenges can not be met by one person, one natin, or  in my lifetime.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Gifo(m): 4:33pm On Oct 09, 2009
The Nobel Peace price is not just awarded for measurable achievements alone, but for a whole load of things. Like what one has started and changed, steering the world to a path of peace is a load of achievement. Also award can be given to invigorate a path that the peace loving people of the world wants to see. And any person who is a champion of such path merits a recognition.

Anyway, the members of the Nobel Peace have spoken.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by naijacann: 4:35pm On Oct 09, 2009
The most ridiculous part of it is dat he was actually nominated in February, barely 3 weeks into his swearing in.
This gets more ridiculous by the day. Why not give it to Morgan Tsangarai for fighting with his life to enthrone
democracy in zimbabwe, or George W Bush for fighting terrorism and effectively kicking terrrorists azz?
[b][/b]
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by MUZBO(m): 4:39pm On Oct 09, 2009
fishaboi:

@Mzumbo: going by your illogic, contributing to peace in a part of the world (i.e within a country) is not the same as contributing to world peace abi?
Hope you can hear yourself! How can you contribute only locally and expect an international award like nobel? Now lemme ask you- did the earthquake in Indonesia shake the foundations of your home?
Is the power outage you are currently experiencing in your house affecting Robert Mugabe? All these are domestic issues which if they don't touch you then you won't care!
You have to be world wide to be seen by a non domesticated Nobel committee.
If you like carry all your rice and feed the homeless in your backyard then sit back and wait for a nobel- you'll wait till kingdom come.
You'll tell me whether Princess Di got international recognition from sitting in the UK and preaching against anti-personnel mines while watching Man U play!
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by TEEZERO(m): 4:41pm On Oct 09, 2009
It would seem to me that that awarding committee chose to look at the bottle half-full rather than half-empty
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Sagamite(m): 4:42pm On Oct 09, 2009
Gifo:

The Nobel Peace price is not just awarded for measurable achievements alone, but for a whole load of things. Like what one has started and changed, steering the world to a path of peace is a load of achievement. Also award can be given to invigorate a path that the peace loving people of the world wants to see. And any person who is a champion of such path merits a recognition.

Anyway, the members of the Nobel Peace have spoken.

There is nothing Obama has done that has started, changed or steered the world to the part of peace. He has made indications, but that has not changed anything yet.

It is still a wait and see. It might work wonders or it might not. He might continue with his harmonious attitude or he might need to change to a more belligerent one to serve his people.

The decision was poor.

TEE ZERO:

This going to pile on this young man more pressure.
It is enormous.
There are wars everywhere; even domestic wars that Obama has to fight.
We should just keep wishing him well.
It is enormous pressure.

I fear for the guy, the load of expectation from him is too much.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Rosabelle(f): 4:46pm On Oct 09, 2009
MUZBO:

Hope you can hear yourself! How can you contribute only locally and expect an international award like nobel? Now lemme ask you- did the earthquake in Indonesia shake the foundations of your home?
Is the power outage you are currently experiencing in your house affecting Robert Mugabe? All these are domestic issues which if they don't touch you then you won't care!
You have to be world wide to be seen by a non domesticated Nobel committee.
If you like carry all your rice and feed the homeless in your backyard then sit back and wait for a nobel- you'll wait till kingdom come.
You'll tell me whether Princess Di got international recognition from sitting in the UK and preaching against anti-personnel mines while watching Man U play!
And so how come Mandela won it? And how come that Tsvangaria was one of the favourites this year. And the kenyan lady who won it for PLANTING TREES nko.
Normally Im used to hearing smarter things come from you. Im so disappointed today, I'l blame it on the weather.
You seem to contradict yourself repeatedly.
It seems to me you didnt even read the previous posts before you started to point fingers and challenge peoples opinions.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by stiyke(m): 4:48pm On Oct 09, 2009
What has obama done u may ask to deserve this??

He extended a hand of friendship and kept silent as the represive iranian regime harshly dealt with protesters.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by baekdoosan(m): 4:50pm On Oct 09, 2009
i support obama but I dont think he deserved this award. All he did was make fancy speeches with no action.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Sagamite(m): 4:52pm On Oct 09, 2009
stiyke:

He extended a hand of friendship and kept silent as the represive iranian regime harshly dealt with protesters.

So you receive a Nobel Peace prize for keeping quiet when people and their rights are being oppressed.  shocked

O le o. Some thinkings beat me.  undecided
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by MUZBO(m): 4:52pm On Oct 09, 2009
Rosabelle:

Well actually by "Mr-Im-Uninformed", I was refering to YOU  smiley. Im sorry you didnt get that.
And Im not running from anything. I just find when youve made your point youve made it and shouldnt go defending it or forcing others to take it.
*sigh*. Ofcourse I know you were refering to me but by using something I never mentioned. Guess you don't know how puns work. You just wanted to prove you are smart once again. Well you aint! Don't think because you put Michael Scofield in your profile makes you like him. You may be 'informed' like him but you don't have his low level inhibition; besides he's just a fictional character much like your 'informedness'.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by MustardInc: 4:57pm On Oct 09, 2009
[size=16pt]Once again, EUROPEANS cringe under America's hegemony!

Such a shameful decision.[/size]
[size=14pt]
What Has he done? Iraq, North Korea, Afghanistan (40,000 troops pending), Iran, Myanmar, Sudan, Mexico Drug cartel, India-Pakistan tensions, etc are all

HANGING IN THE BALANCE!

The USA still has arsenal of nuclear weapons - they won't be throwing away. And ISRAEL? Still the obstinate, opinionated Nation they were in the Bush Era.[/size]
This guy is so much talk and flamboyance.
[size=16pt]
Somebody tell me the Swedes are not that stupid like Sarkozy!

Such a rash move![/size]
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by baekdoosan(m): 4:58pm On Oct 09, 2009
he's on bbc now. 4:55 . They are talking about how he does not deserve it. He is winning for deeds promised but not yet done. Obama also admits that he does not deserve to win. Change the channel to bbc. After all all he made are just promises with no action.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Kobojunkie: 4:58pm On Oct 09, 2009
stiyke:

What the freLL?  shocked shocked grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by kay9(m): 5:00pm On Oct 09, 2009
I dunno,  I love Obama, he's a wonderful person (from my own point of view), but,  the Nobel Prize?? I dunno, i dunno.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 09, 2009
The award is certainly unexpected and might be regarded as more of an encouragement for intentions than a reward for achievements. After all, the president has been in office for a little over eight months and he might hope to serve eight years. His ambition for a world free of nuclear weapons is one that is easier to declare than to achieve and a climate control agreement has yet to be reached. Indeed, the citation indicates that it is President Obama's world view that attracted the Nobel committee - that diplomacy should be founded "on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population".
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by platinumnk(f): 5:05pm On Oct 09, 2009
Its cute how they encouraged Obama's efforts smiley

More grease to his elbow I guess

I guess people don't understand the weight of US to the rest of the world.

People need to stick their selfish butts down, what HAVE you done to spread peace?

Everybody wants to be a critic.

Obama shouldn't even respond to nay- sayers. Acknowledge the other contenders and move on. Simple.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by timpaker(m): 5:05pm On Oct 09, 2009
shocked what has he done to deserve this honour when he is just starting the race? he is not different from other presidents of the United states
men I am perceiving a P.D.P in this matter. lipsrsealed
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Kobojunkie: 5:07pm On Oct 09, 2009
macfarland:

The award is certainly unexpected and might be regarded as more of an encouragement for intentions than a reward for achievements. After all, the president has been in office for a little over eight months and he might hope to serve eight years. His ambition for a world free of nuclear weapons is one that is easier to declare than to achieve and a climate control agreement has yet to be reached. Indeed, the citation indicates that it is President Obama's world view that attracted the Nobel committee - that diplomacy should be founded "on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population".

A whole nobel peace prize reduced to an encouragement for intentions rather than for actual accomplishment? Why not give him cookies instead and then wait till he actually has done something before giving him the ultimate price?? tongue
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by MustardInc: 5:09pm On Oct 09, 2009
[size=16pt]Speeches over actions, image over policy. Hey Obama, how shiny will that Peace prize be when the blood of our troops and afghan civilians pour over it?[/size]

--- James Los Angeles
http://community.nytimes.com/comments/www.nytimes.com/2009/10/10/world/10nobel.html
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by princekevo(m): 5:14pm On Oct 09, 2009
This man is just not up to a year in office and i personally have not seen what he has done at the international level to maintain world peace to deserve this noble price. All we see are jst lay down plans that we dont we dont know if the outcome will be positive or not.
Unless the criteria for the award is otherwise.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by chosen04(f): 5:17pm On Oct 09, 2009
For believing and leading the drive towards universal PEACE AND UNITY, I strongly think OBAMA deserves the AWARD this year more than any other candidate. But i really wanted and prayed for MORGAN TSANGARAI to win cos the prize money attached to the award would have gone a long way in fighting poverty and diseases in his country and Africa in general.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by lawrence83: 5:19pm On Oct 09, 2009
I wonder what this obama guy as done to win a nobel prize.

But need i say much, the award is already in his hands. there is nothing anybody can do about it.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by MUZBO(m): 5:39pm On Oct 09, 2009
MustardInc:

[size=16pt]Once again, EUROPEANS cringe under America's hegemony!

Such a shameful decision.[/size]
[size=14pt]
What Has he done? Iraq, North Korea, Afghanistan (40,000 troops pending), Iran, Myanmar, Sudan, Mexico Drug cartel, India-Pakistan tensions, etc are all

HANGING IN THE BALANCE!

The USA still has arsenal of nuclear weapons - they won't be throwing away. And ISRAEL? Still the obstinate, opinionated Nation they were in the Bush Era.[/size]
This guy is so much talk and flamboyance.
[size=16pt]
Somebody tell me the Swedes are not that stupid like Sarkozy!

Such a rash move![/size]
Sarkozy was a nominee for the prize Obama won so what are you saying?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

South Sudan Locks Out Somalis / Kenya Set To Revive Some Tax Measures In The Scrapped Finance Bill / World Wide Conspiracy By Whites To Destroy The Black Race?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.