Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,767 members, 7,927,137 topics. Date: Wednesday, 21 August 2024 at 10:19 AM

Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize (7858 Views)

Nelson Mandela Dead 2013” : Nobel Peace Prize 1993 Killed By Internet Death Hoax / Malala Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize / Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To The European Union (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by IykeD1(m): 9:33pm On Oct 09, 2009

The world should slow down on the guy. And thats why I said it seems the "Obama-bug" has gotten to Norway too.
I used to have a lot of respect for this Prize and the committee that does the selections, but I see right now any celebrity can win it.
I'd better go lobby!

Hmmm, a US president is "any celebrity"? The first African American president of the most powerful country on
earth is "any celebrity"? I don't think so.

Lastly, I believe "working towards peace" and "achieved peace" are all part of the criteria for receiving a Nobel
Peace prize. Are we saying the distinguished body that has been awarding the peace price for years now, don't
understand their jobs any more?

If anything at all, I believe the award is an affirmation that he needs to stay the course that he is trying to steer
the US towards. THas anyone forgotten the dangers that the Neo-cons posed to the world in the past 8 years?
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by posakosa(m): 9:35pm On Oct 09, 2009
Well said Iyke.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by IykeD1(m): 9:41pm On Oct 09, 2009

This is the biggest joke of the millenium, that u can win a Noble peace price
by promisisng change instead of by delievering it. It is also absurd that you must be
a democrat, unpopular in the US(especially by continually castigating your own country abroad like Obama, Gimmy carter and Al gore, previous winners always did) before you could get such award. Why didint they give such award to George W Bush for fighting so hard to rid the world of terrorism, a huge mess that Clinton left for him? Why not give it to some one like Morgan Tsangarai of Zimbabwe who has been fighting with his life to return zimbabwe back to normalcy.
This is indeed the biggest joke of the millenium.

Isn't it ironic that all these years Mugabe was playing games with Zimbabwe and Morgan Tsangarai, but right after Obama
got elected, Mugaba at least saw it fit to turn a new page by inviting him to join his government. Do you think he just
woke up one day and wanted to do right by Morgan Tsangari or he dawned on him that the son of an African is now heading the most powerful country on earth and his usual antics may not fly? Methinks its the latter.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by eTzel(f): 9:45pm On Oct 09, 2009
International peacemaker. grin
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by posakosa(m): 9:47pm On Oct 09, 2009
Can some morons stop talking about Tsanvagari, He is another Mugagbe, power seeking BUffoons, angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by rill: 9:55pm On Oct 09, 2009
but to be sincere i think d prize is a little bit too early. all d same congrat to him cheesy
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by MUZBO(m): 9:59pm On Oct 09, 2009
Rosabelle:

Ah toh. Help me explain to Mr Muzbo and co. oh.
Theres no beef involved, just facts. Its a little too premature and its obvious they are taken by his personality, not his achievements.
Why don't you save yourself the stress of seeking corroborators by picking your best nominee on the list and stating why he should've won. Your Tsangarai guy is a local champ. If he had won then Gani Fawehinmi should've won last year. Face it, Zimbabwe is only in the news when there's conflict with world wide implications like whites being deported and stuff. Sit there make trouser dey wear you.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by IykeD1(m): 10:12pm On Oct 09, 2009

but to be sincere i think d prize is a little bit too early. all  d same congrat to him  

I agree, it is understandable to say it came a  bit early.  The White House was
blind-sighted by this as well.  But to say he has not done anything to deserve
a peace award or simply that he got it  because of his "celebrity" is overreaching.

He has shown not only in his speeches but his diplomatic effort to erase the
suspicions of muslims in his country while catching flack from the usual quarters
for doing that. He pulled the plug on a plan made by Bush to site a missile defence
shield in Poland, a move which was only going to esclate the tensions between
the US and Russia.

A US president with a stroke of pen can cause so much havoc in the world, in as
much as they can use that same pen to create and foster peace around the world
more than what 100 Nobel Peace winners put together could ever do in the lives.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Rosabelle(f): 10:27pm On Oct 09, 2009
MUZBO:

Why don't you save yourself the stress of seeking corroborators by picking your best nominee on the list and stating why he should've won. Your Tsangarai guy is a local champ. If he had won then Gani Fawehinmi should've won last year. Face it, Zimbabwe is only in the news when there's conflict with world wide implications like whites being deported and stuff. Sit there make trouser dey wear you.
I repeat for those of you who have refused to read before replying : Obama is a wonderful guy, but beautiful warming words done do it . I insist, if you had read my ealier posts, we wont even have this back and forth.
And I wasnt routing for Tsvangarai. I said he was on the 'favourites list'.
READ BEFORE YOU REPLY!
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Gamine(f): 10:31pm On Oct 09, 2009
Well, i was surprised undecided
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by naijacann: 11:04pm On Oct 09, 2009
@IYKE-D
You got your timeline wrong. Morgan Tshangarai was sworn in while G.W. Bush was in power, before Obama even won the election.
I strongly believe that either he or G.W Bush should have gotten the award, Bush, at least for going after terrorrists and fighting terrorism,
something that Clinton shyed away from.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by posakosa(m): 11:05pm On Oct 09, 2009
Morgan Tsavangari is a Arrow.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by RichyBlacK(m): 11:31pm On Oct 09, 2009
Obama haters should get a life!

Obama is the man! grin
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by posakosa(m): 11:38pm On Oct 09, 2009
^^^^^^^abeg make you tell them jo!
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by chic2pimp(m): 11:42pm On Oct 09, 2009
Hey what do you know,Obama wins a nobel peace prize and all OBAMA MANIACS & OBAMA HATERS alike suddenly come out of the woodwork.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Nobody: 1:47am On Oct 10, 2009
Abali1:

hate or love this guy, pause and think, he whom God has raised up no man or beefing that can bring him down.

until he's voted out in 8 years time all things being equal.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by IykeD1(m): 2:14am On Oct 10, 2009

@IYKE-D
You got your timeline wrong. Morgan Tshangarai was sworn in while G.W. Bush was in power, before Obama even won the election.
I strongly believe that either he or G.W Bush should have gotten the award, Bush, at least for going after terrorrists and fighting terrorism,

I believe my timeline is correct. The election was held last year but Mugabe would not have any thing to do with Morgan Tshangari,
who was eventually sworned in on February 11, 2009.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article5707746.ece
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by IykeD1(m): 2:31am On Oct 10, 2009

I repeat for those of you who have refused to read before replying : Obama is a wonderful guy, but beautiful warming words done do it . I insist, if you had read my ealier posts, we wont even have this back and forth.
READ BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Celebrity? Beautiful Words? And you wonder why some people like me are having problem with your comments?
Few years ago, Iran and North Korea were part of the Axis of Evils, today they are possibilities of talks between
those countries and the US. Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres, & Yitzhak Rabin shared a Nobel Peace price, but last
time I checked, peace is still eluding the Middle East - it still a work in progress.

Here is a list of some past Nobel Peace winners:

# 2009 - Barack Obama
# 2008 - Martti Ahtisaari
# 2007 - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Al Gore
# 2006 - Muhammad Yunus, Grameen Bank
# 2005 - International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed ElBaradei
# 2004 - Wangari Maathai
# 2003 - Shirin Ebadi
# 2002 - Jimmy Carter
# 2001 - United Nations, Kofi Annan
# 2000 - Kim Dae-jung
# 1999 - Médecins Sans Frontières
# 1998 - John Hume, David Trimble
# 1997 - International Campaign to Ban Landmines, Jody Williams
# 1996 - Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo, José Ramos-Horta
# 1995 - Joseph Rotblat, Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs
# 1994 - Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres, Yitzhak Rabin
# 1993 - Nelson Mandela, F.W. de Klerk
# 1992 - Rigoberta Menchú Tum
# 1991 - Aung San Suu Kyi

There are names I recognize there, but there are more that I have no idea what they have done, but it does
not diminish the fact the Nobel body deemed it fit to give them awards. I would think they know better than I
do in terms of what they consider the objectives of the awards to be.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by TheSeeker(m): 3:06am On Oct 10, 2009
I know what will happen next: Kanye West will interrupt and say the award should have gone to Beyonce.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Radiant(f): 3:18am On Oct 10, 2009
naijacann:

Morgan Tshangarai, I strongly believe that either he or G.W Bush should have gotten the award, Bush, at least for going after terrorrists and fighting terrorism,

Do you understand the word "peace"? embarassed
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by TayoD1(m): 4:11am On Oct 10, 2009
@Radiant,

Do you understand the word "peace"?
Our world is warped. That explains why peace can only be achieved through the use of force. Remove the threat of the courts, prison and the police and our world will descend into chaos.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by naijacann: 4:34am On Oct 10, 2009
@Radiant
If fighting terrorism wouldnt bring peace, I wonder what else it would bring.
If enthroning democracy wouldnt bring peace, I wonder what else it would lead to.
How can you award such prestigious (now highly ridiculous) honour to a man who has just
spent barely 12 days in office? Remember the nominations ended feb. 1 and so, he hasnt even done anything
yet as at when he was nominated. To use the word 'ridiculous', would certainly be an understatement.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by jidody(m): 4:43am On Oct 10, 2009
I think the Nobel peace prize should have gone to Yar'adua for his efforts at ending the militant struggle in the Niger Delta.
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by dayokanu(m): 7:19am On Oct 10, 2009
Obama stopped the use of torture "Waterboarding"
Obama reached out to the Moslem world not in the style of "You are beneath me and I would crush you" but a hand of friendship, a new beginning.

Obama has shown the real power is compromise and reaching a midpoint not in grandstanding and Bullying
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by MUZBO(m): 7:28am On Oct 10, 2009
Rosabelle:

READ BEFORE YOU REPLY!
Yea whatever! So who are you rooting for? If its your husband/bf remember he's not on the list. So who is it?
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by tunyus(m): 7:46am On Oct 10, 2009
OBAMA
U are a pride to the BLACK race
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by osodstarz(m): 8:53am On Oct 10, 2009
Some cannot but be goats and pigs. It think it's ridiculous for anybody from any part of the world to say Obama has not acheived anything on peace. What's there again after fulfillin the withdrawal treaty that he signed before his election. Am even piss off. Have now clear see that people indeed are after to see him fail and not succeed just like the case of the Olympics, dont beef the guy because he didnt come to an undemocratic country of yours. For me he is an acheiver in a short term (9 months). Just compare that time to that of your President, :>>>
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by Rosabelle(f): 8:53am On Oct 10, 2009
From AP News : "In his 1895 will, Alfred Nobel stipulated that the peace prize should go "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations and the abolition or reduction of standing armies and the formation and spreading of peace congresses"
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by princekevo(m): 9:49am On Oct 10, 2009
Like i said b4, unless the criteria for the noble prize award are based on otherwise and not on achievements. Obama himself as humble as he is was surprised at the news coz he knows he does not deserve it. There maybe other reasons why he was giving this award.
Maybe the world has seen the significant of his foreign policies though not yet implemented, and being the most influential leader at the moment, they wanna encourage him with such prizes for him to holding on to these policies and actualise them.
We can see that from the email he sent to millions of people all over the world.

[b]prince --

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

[/b]
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by rasputinn(m): 10:29am On Oct 10, 2009
Too early for such an award,what remarkable thing has he done to merit that award.To me it's nothing more than pandering on the part of the guys that gave him the award
Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by igeluma: 11:21am On Oct 10, 2009
peace is so paramount to existence,Obama deserves the award,it is  highly commendable.Congratulation.

Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize by thameamead(f): 11:25am On Oct 10, 2009
Point of corection, a spokesman for HAMAS said OBAMA should have won it for violence.

i personally think MORAGN TSVAGARI should have won it.

nice of JOHN McCAIN to have bn happy for OBAMA, most people think he did not derserve to win it but he was awarded the prize, fingers crossed for the democrat's health care reform,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kenya Set To Revive Some Tax Measures In The Scrapped Finance Bill / World Wide Conspiracy By Whites To Destroy The Black Race? / The Great Nation Of Biafra

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.