Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,734 members, 7,898,583 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 July 2024 at 03:13 PM

Love At First Flight. - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Love At First Flight. (22010 Views)

The Love At Home. See Photos Too / Love At First Lie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 8:08am On Oct 03, 2016
"I was incredibly lucky.A Scandanavian bloke lived here before me.So he was allowed furniture of his choice.When he was leaving he didn't want it shipped home,so I grabbed it."
He led Isabella to see the rest of the flat."I will let you freshen up,All you need is some food and rest.After that we can talk"
"And see the campus?" Isabella asked.
"I promise,darling."
The pleasant lunch that Eric gave her,followed by a rest in the cool of her room at the hostel did much to restore her body and spirits.
First they started with her office,her name was already on the door and that gave her a great thrill.Her office was exact replica of Eric's except that it looked very empty-no books on the shelves or papers littering the desk.Eric had pointed out the Group Director's office and her taken her into the outer office to introduce her to the Thompson's secretary,an attractive,efficient young woman.He asked her when the Director was expected back and was told they expected him the next day.Later,She was at Eric's balcony.

2 Likes

Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 07, 2016
A glass of mango juice in her hand,watching the wonderful pinks and purples of the setting sun dye the lake to the most beautiful rich wash of colour,Isabella's thoughts were of the wonderful labs she had seen that day.Being an international institution RCA got funds all over the world,and it showed in the equipment.Isabella was simply longing to get to work.The incubators that she would be using to be breed millions of parasitoids,were as up to date as any she had seen abroad.And everyone that she had met who was working on the project seemed as keen as she was.
Theirs was a small portion of the work going on she realised that.There were many other programmes:to enrich the protein content of rice and other starches and cowpeas too:to alter the genetics so that bigger and hardier plants would be produced:to make the various tubers,roots,and grasses,pest resistant-very necessary in tropical countries where pests were so multidinous.
Inspite of this,she could not help feeling that for the third world.

2 Likes

Re: Love At First Flight. by nastynic(m): 9:42am On Oct 07, 2016
hmmmm wink yuuummy
Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 07, 2016
Her own project was the most meaningful.If Biological Control they could get rid maize and cassava of the pests that preyed on them.It was her driving ambition to help prevent famine.
"Penny for them?" Eric interrupted her reverie,as coming back from refreshing up his drink,he sat beside her.
"I was thinking about what I saw today."
Isabella had no idea how attractive she looked in the cool,mint-green,sleeveless dress she had changed into.The flaming colour of the sky giving her lovely skin a warm hue.And to top it all,dazzling lights shone out of her eyes,seeming to light up the darkening scene.
"Good
" Eric said "because this will be a convinient time to get you on the set up there"
He took a long drink of his whisky soda."One needs to tread carefully,if one wants to get on.It is absolutely essential that your Group Director likes you,for ... "
"Surely not," Isabella interrupted,"So long as your work is good what do personalities matter?" She was shocked to think anything different.
"You'll find out".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 10:15am On Oct 07, 2016
Eric said,a frown of annoyance darekening his features,"So I want you to all out to charm Thompson,darling,for both our sakes." Eric smiled entreatingly at her."You could charm the birds off the trees"
"But I thought this Thompson was impervious to feminine charms" Isabella said picking up her glass again. "Anyway,I thoroughly disapprove of using any feminine charms I may or may not possess,at work.It's unscientific and he would have every right to despise me for it." She took a sip of her drink,"I'm sorry darling,but..."
"Not even me?" Eric begged."After all I am being nice to the Provost's daughter." He stopped suddenly looking a little sheepish,and then continued hurriedly."Nothing you need to worry about, darling,nothing serious you know,just a little flirtation." He felt Isabella's gaze on him.Well poor kid,she is bored out here,not many people of her own age about.There was defiance in his glance now,as he defended himself."We can't all paragons of virtue like you," he added,a bitter note in his voice.

2 Likes

Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 1:02pm On Oct 07, 2016
Isabella was immediately contrite,poor Eric.Her refusal to sleep with him before marriage was very hard for him to accept in this day and age."Darling," she was anxious they shouldn't have another quarrel,she couldn't bear it,"I trust you,and I'm sure that you wouldn't use the daughter of the Provost to work out your frustrations on" Eric simply looked at her sharply,but could detect no malice in her face."As to making up to our boss-I can't do as you wish,but I am good at my job,so let's hope that will suffice."
Eric gave in with rather bad grace,"I might have known.Silly to ask you really.I just hoped that you would cooperate,as my whole career is at stake." He bit his bottom lip.
"Mine too,or have you forgotten?" Isabella asked quietly.
"No,of course I hadn't,but after all my career has to be more important than yours,darling.You are the one to have the babies and..."
"Do the housework," Isbella finished his sentence."Is that what you are about to say, Eric?"
"Of course not,darling" Eric sounded injured.

1 Like

Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 07, 2016
"I'm not a male chauvinist,you know that.But I think that in a marriage one of the partners has to be the dominant one."
The fast approaching night,hid the hurt in her eyes,as she answered,"I have always considered marriage should be an equal partnership."
"And so do I darling.Never fear,I shall be the considerate of husbands." He rose to his feet,"Time to go in and eat.Enough talk of work",and he drew her to her feet,holding her close.
As they went inside,he had laid another delightful meal,but this time a Nigerian one,to suprise her-a lovely hot pepper soup and yam.
"Eric," she exclaimed, "how did you cook such a delicious meal?, You certainly kept your talents hidden well when we were together in Imperial College.I had no idea that you knew how to cook African food." Eric smiled sheepishly."I have a confession to make.I told Tayo's wife that I wanted to feed you today and she took pity on me.She can cook any kind of food and all deliciously.She likes eating too!"
Isabella burst out laughing.

2 Likes

Re: Love At First Flight. by Shakyroh320(f): 2:34pm On Oct 07, 2016
kip it cuming dearie,enjoying it all
Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 07, 2016
Sure,Thanks grin
Re: Love At First Flight. by elmogaji(m): 5:49pm On Oct 07, 2016
nyc story u have on here zini.......
Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 6:25pm On Oct 07, 2016
Thank you
Re: Love At First Flight. by olanshile2016(m): 11:13pm On Oct 13, 2016
great art piece
Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 14, 2016
Thank you.
Re: Love At First Flight. by gal10(f): 10:52am On Oct 14, 2016
Nice read..like the dialogue. .keep it coming ma'am
Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 7:36am On Oct 27, 2016
Getting up from the chair,she went to the back of Eric's chair,putting her arms round his neck and kissing his ear."I love you for it,and you certainly had me fooled - and impressed."
"I'm glad you don't mind.I did so want to have you to mysef our first evening together." He turned her head and pulled her towards him. "I've missed you so,Isabella."
"And I've missed you so much too darling,so much."
"And now it's as if we've never been apart." He kissed her nose,and then putting her firmly away from him,said,"Chores first,like in the old days" and rose to his feet.
Isabella started to clear the table."Does Tayo's wife want the dishes back tonight?" She asked Eric,as he came to help her.
"No love.Tolu will send her steward over in the morning.We don't even need to do the washing up."
"Oh,I couldn't possibly leave these dirty dishes around till morning.It won't take me a jiffy," and she started looking for an apron in the small but well planned kitchen.
"You won't find an apron.I take all my meals at the hostel"
Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 7:50am On Oct 27, 2016
Eric put down the wine glasses carefully while Isabella ran the hot water."Was Tayo that nice shortish man working out in the field?" she asked,squirting the washing-up liquid into the basin and then beating it with her hand.
"That's right.He's in charge of Release and Follow-up,so you won't see much of him in the labs.By the way I forgot.Tayo is giving you a small welcome party tomorrow night for you and a couple of other new folk.You'll like her.She's fun." Eric put the dishes that he dried on a tray on the worktop."Of course there will be a much bigger one later,given by the provost and his wife.It's a very social life out here as you'll see.The wives see to that,starting from the provost's wife down to the wife of the most junior scientist.They all do their bit to help organise the social life of campus."
"Much as I love parties,I hope they won't interfere with my work.I have articles and papers I want to write,and..."
"So have I too,my love," Eric put down the towel tea,"Is that all then?"

1 Like

Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 8:05am On Oct 27, 2016
Isabella cast a quick glance around."I think so,yes." Eric heaved sigh of relief,"Thanks heavens.Now we can get down to more important things"
He took her unresisting hand and led her out to the balcony,where an enormous full moon was shedding a mysterious silvery light over the lake and its banks.The air was moist and still,but throbbing with shrills notes of a thousand cicads.
Dear Eric,everything so thought,so organised,Isabella thought,before Eric's hands went round her and his lips found hers.It was much later when,having bid Eric goodnight,she started to make her preparations for bed.She un-packed everything but her cabin bag earlier in the afternoon,so it was easy for Isabella to find her simple cotton nightie with demure frill of broderie anglaise round the low cut neck and hem.It was only when she was in the little bathroom that she remembered that her nail brush wae in the cabin bag.She hurried back into the bedroom again to search for it.Much better to tip everything out on the dressing table top.

2 Likes

Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 27, 2016
She thought to herself,when she had difficulty finding it.Suiting to her actions to words she tipped it upside down.Out fell a couple of books,a handkerchief,her diary,her travelling make-up-cum-toilet bag and her purchases from duty free shop.She looked again.There must be some mistake.She had only bought one eau de toilette,and she has already given Eric his after-shave,so what on earth is in that other box? It looked like perfume.The stewardess must have made a mistake.
Isabella picked it up.It was a bottle of Miss Dior perfume.There was a card stuck through the plastic wrapping.She pulled it out and gave a little gasp as she read,"To Isabella,to go with her toilet water and to remind her of me - wherever she is."
There was no signature,there didn't need to be one.Isabella knew full well who was responsible for the bottle of perfume in her bag,and she was not amused.She still wasn't rid of Micheal after all-drat that man! She wished she could return his unwanted gift.Never mind,Tolu should have it.

1 Like

Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 31, 2016
Chapter Three
Isabella was up bright and early the next day,eager to settle in to her new office.She had a quicj shower and then put on a pair of servicable jeans and a plain apple green cotton top.Her one concession to feminity was the little gold cross hanging round her neck.She comed her curls adding some conditioning gel,smeared a hint of lipstick across her lips,then picking up her bag she sallied forth to breakfast.
Early as she was,she did not expect t meet Eric there,he had told her last that he had to leave at the crack of dawn to get their experimental farm,seventy kilometres away.He couldn't avoid it,as Thompson had told him to do a check there,before he came back.
Isabella had turned down Eric's offer to take her with him,regretfully,for she would have loved to see how tge experiments were going,but first,as she explained to him,she wanted to settle in and catch up on all the notes she would have to read to know the state of work she would be taking over had reached where her predecessor left.

1 Like

Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 8:47am On Oct 31, 2016
After a light breakfast of fruit juice,toast and coffee,Isabella picked up her papers and walked across the office block.
On entering the building she made her way to the office of the Group Director's secretary,who,Eric had told her had a set of keys for Isabella,for her office and the various labs that had to be locked.
Work start early here,and although it was not yet eight o' clock,Tito was already there,taking the cover of her typewriter.She gave Isabella a very warm smile.
"Good morning Doctor Davies,I expect you would like your keys." She opened her a locked drawer in her desk taking out a bunch of keys handed them to Isabella. "That large one is for your office and the others are clearly marked."
"Thanks Miss... I'm afraid I don't know your name." Isabella said,returning Tito's friendly smile with an equally friendly one of her own.
"Miss Bolatito,but everyone calls me Tito.I hope you will do the same doctor."
"Then you must call me Isabella."
Tito was agreeably suprised by Isabella's friendliness.

2 Likes

Re: Love At First Flight. by AdetoroBukola: 8:58am On Oct 31, 2016
Thanks for the update God bless and increase your brain. pleeese dont starve us with updates.
Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 9:06am On Oct 31, 2016
So many of the `been-to's' felt themselves too superior to bother to be nice to a mere secrtary.She beamed with pleasure, "Now is there anything you want to know? Anything I can help you with? I'm not too busy, with Doctor Thompson away.I shall be from tomorrow,though he's a real slave-driver when he's around."
"So I've heard," Isabella remarked dryly.
"But nobody minds,he works twice as hard as anyone else and never asks anything of others that he wouldn't do himself."
It was obvious Tito really liked and respected her boss.Her voice was full of admiration.
"He sounds like a scientist after my own heart" remarked Isabella. Tito's description of the boss was different from Eric's,although Isabella was longing to question the lady further about their boss,she did not belive in gossiping about colleagues behind their backs.
"And good looking with it." Tito looked down at her engagement ring sparkling on his finger,"But I can see that won't interest you."
"I'm engaged to Eric."
Tito looked suprised."Eric Hayes?"

1 Like

Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 9:33am On Oct 31, 2016
Isabella nodded."Well he's a dark horse! Never mentioned a word about it." Tito looked amazed.
"No,well I'm not here as his fianceƩ,you know.I'm here to do my own work.Which reminds me,where will I find the files my predecessor left? I want to spend today finding out about my job."
"I'll get them for you.They're in a cupboard in Doctor Thompson's office" she rose from her desk."Hang on a minute."
"Don't hesitate to come to me if you have any problems or queries,Isabella," Tito said,as she handed a bulky pile of files over. "Scientists come and go,but I go on for ever," she added,grinning,as she sat down behind her typewriter.
"I bet you could run the Group single-handed," Isabella said with a smile.
"Administratively,I bet I could too "
As Isabella walked to the door,Tito called after her "If you feel like a coffee about ten thirty,come round."
Isabella turned at te doorway,"I can see we are getting on well Tito,and thanks I will certainly take you up on your offer."
She worked all morning till four o' clock.

1 Like

Re: Love At First Flight. by AdetoroBukola: 12:34pm On Oct 31, 2016
Thanks once again God bless.
Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 3:58pm On Oct 31, 2016
Eric had promised to pick Isabella up for the party that evening,so she had no worries about how to find the house.She decided to wear a simple blue dress.
The dress was less dramatic and in the end,She judged it was more suitable for her first introduction to this simple cosmopolitan and academic society.
After a cold shower,she splashed her Miss Dior eau de toilette generously on her slender form before slipping into her off-the-shoulder bra and lacey briefs.Then slid her dress over her head and shoulder smoothing it down over her slim yet femininely rounded hips,she looked at herself critically in the mirror.
The dress clung to her figure making her appear even taller and willowy than she actually was.
She applied her usual light touch of lipstick,choosing a bright pink to contrast with her blue dress.She dusted her face lightly with powder and smeared a hint of black eyeshadow on her eyelids.After running a comb through her dancing curls,which she found no amount of brushing could tame.
Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 31, 2016
She wondered why she had even fallen for the temptation of Carlifonian curl,slipping into her strappy black sandals,she picked up her small black clutch bag and shutting the door carefully after het,made her wy down to wait for Eric.
Eric came striding in,looking a little untidy.Isabella smiled.He always did look untidy.
"Hello darling,I hope I haven't kept you waiting," he said,kissing her cheek.He too her hand and hurried her out,down the steps and into the car.
"You haven't said if you approve of my appearance," she said,as he put the car into gear and they moved off.
"If I hadn't I would have told you," was his reply.Isabella felt a small pain in her heart,for a little encouragement would have been welcome.
In a matter of minutes, Eric pulled outside a house that was ablaze with lights both outside and in.
It was a lovely night for an outdoor party as there was just a little breeze,the moon was full and the sky,a mass of twinkling stars.
There was already quite a crowd of people on the lawn.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Love At First Flight. by Hardybattee45: 4:36pm On Oct 31, 2016
WOW I am enjoying your story..... Don't forget to update more power to your elbow
Re: Love At First Flight. by Missmossy(f): 6:31pm On Oct 31, 2016
Interesting story, biko don't abandon it again. Knew i was following this story then. Suddenly you stopped updating. Keep up the good work, thumbs up dear.
Re: Love At First Flight. by nastynic(m): 10:44pm On Oct 31, 2016
Babe u remember say u leave food for fire abi? Nice update shaw, thank jah u came if not kidnapping tinz grin
Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 9:27am On Nov 01, 2016
Their talk and laughter mixing with the background music.Eric was looking round for their hosts,when a bright happy voice cried out.
"Welcome you two and especially to you Isabella."
It was a lovely warm welcome and put Isabella at ease at once.She felt immediately drawn to the short plumpish young woman coming towards them. "Thank you,you must be Tolu.I've heard a lot about you,"Isabella said,smiling warmly.
"Oh dear! What have you been saying about me Eric?" Tolu shook her head at him in playful reproof.
She was wearing a long cotton dress,with wild west look to it,as it was becomingly checked in red and green with an open shirt neck and a frill round its full hem.She was a pretty woman with a homespun charm about her that was appealing.Isabella liked her warmth,and there was an openess about her that she liked too.
"I say,she's too beautiful for you,Eric," Tolu teased,as linking arm through one each of theirs,she draws them towards the guests.
"Are you sure she's one of you egg-head scientists?"

1 Like

Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 9:45am On Nov 01, 2016
"She looks much too beautiful to have a brain in her head," Isabella couldn't help laughing but she felt ridiculously pleased.
"The bar is in the usual place Eric.You get your self a drink while I introduce Isabella to all the other guests." She gave Eric no chance to refuse,as dis-engaging her arm from his,she gave him a small but determined shove in the right direction.She turned back to Isabella with bubbling smile."Can't have one of my guests monopolised by her fiance.Come then,I'll throw you in at the deep end."
The fairy lights cast a very romantic light over the scene,making everyone look glamorous than they did.
After a while,she had introduced Isabella to almost everyone there,Tolu left her with Doctor Kapoor and her Korean colleague,and went off to see to the barbeque.She also met Mrs Kapoor in the most gorgeous sari she had ever seen,chatted with them while the motherly Korean lady stood smiling and nodding.The two ladies slip away to join other ladies,and Tayo joined the group.The talk went on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Love At First Flight. by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 01, 2016
Tayo excused himself,regretfully,he was responsible for carving the barbeque,now scenting the air with appetising smell.
Isabella had forgotten all about Eric, and suddenly remembered and wondering why he hadn't joined them,she searched the guests for him and eventually saw him in a conversation with a very pretty blonde girl.The provost's daughter,she thought wryly.Eric obviously meant what he said.He was after friends in high places.She looked more closely at the girl.She would not have been human if she had not done so.She seemed a nice little thing,but almost a child.Isabella felt no pangs of jealousy.She was just wondering if the provost and his wife were here too when she heard Tolu's voice calling her,made her way to where she ws standing at the outskirts of the crowd.
"I've saved the best for the last,Isabella," she said as Isabella joined her."I want to introduce you to your boss.He's just coming now"
Isabella,her eyes following Tolu's glance,saw a tall dark man emerge into the fairy lights.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Celebrates Her 45th Birthday Today / Diary Of A Nigeria Yahoo Boy Part One / Game Of Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.