Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,570 members, 7,921,177 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 07:11 PM

An Expert In Public Speaking? How Do You Overcome Nervousness? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / An Expert In Public Speaking? How Do You Overcome Nervousness? (1241 Views)

Careers In Public Health / CVs and Cover Letters Speak. Is Yours Speaking For You? / Nervousness During Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Expert In Public Speaking? How Do You Overcome Nervousness? by kenoye: 1:59pm On Oct 14, 2009
So guys, have you been involved in a presentation recently? At work, team meeting, sales, marketing a product e.t.c? How did you overcome your fears for standing before an audience or even an individual and making a presentation? Any tips?
Re: An Expert In Public Speaking? How Do You Overcome Nervousness? by DaddyO(m): 2:24pm On Oct 14, 2009
Hypnosis
Re: An Expert In Public Speaking? How Do You Overcome Nervousness? by viaro: 2:50pm On Oct 14, 2009
Well, I'm not an expert in public speaking. However, perhaps a good start is to focus on the value of your product. If you're excited about what you want to present, then facing a crowd or just one person won't be that much of a problem. Yes, initially it may look tough. However, once you get started, your nerves begin to relax (unless you audience deliberately just want to make things very tough for you).
Re: An Expert In Public Speaking? How Do You Overcome Nervousness? by kenoye: 3:51pm On Oct 14, 2009
Thanks Guys for your posts, will be looking out for some more tips. I really like the idea about liking your product. I suppose that creates a natural enthusiasm for you that you can tap into and make your speech a lot more exciting.

Hypnosis?Sounds scary already. I once worked with a professional speaker with an organization called SpeakersBank in the UK who also uses this method. Don't know about this one,
Re: An Expert In Public Speaking? How Do You Overcome Nervousness? by Ejiogbe(m): 4:27pm On Oct 21, 2009
` Public speaking usually requires adequate preparation or research on the topic of discussion or the product at hand.You need to have a thorough knowledge of the content of discussion.You should have an idea about your would-be audience and the logistics of the venue of the speech. Fear is a natural phenomenon when it comes to public speaking for beginners. Adequate readiness and regular exposure to speaking situations would keep fear at bay permanently.  smiley
Re: An Expert In Public Speaking? How Do You Overcome Nervousness? by kenoye: 10:05pm On Oct 21, 2009
Hi Ejiogbe:

Very Good tips. Thanks for sharing those. Are you a public speaker yourself?

Ken
Re: An Expert In Public Speaking? How Do You Overcome Nervousness? by ugonna245(m): 8:04am On Oct 22, 2009
kenoye:

So guys, have you been involved in a presentation recently? At work, team meeting, sales, marketing a product e.t.c? How did you overcome your fears for standing before an audience or even an individual and making a presentation? Any tips?

Take 2 bottles of Star Lager Beer. Once you feel high enough, get on the stage. grin grin grin
Re: An Expert In Public Speaking? How Do You Overcome Nervousness? by Ejiogbe(m): 3:18pm On Oct 23, 2009
Helo Kenoye, thanks for your comment. Yes, I am a public speaker .
Re: An Expert In Public Speaking? How Do You Overcome Nervousness? by kenoye: 8:06pm On Oct 23, 2009
That's nice! So what kind of a public speaker are you? Sorry for my questions. I have been meaning to meet with professional speakers in this country. I will like to start a public speaking coaching business but not too sure how to go about it, I am trying to organize free workshops in some of the universities and then get some testimonials. it seems though that one will need to have the backing of an organization or something of that sort. What's your advice on this?

Ken
Re: An Expert In Public Speaking? How Do You Overcome Nervousness? by renzguy: 11:57pm On Jan 19, 2013
Hiya,

There are a few ways to overcome Nervousness

1.) Be well prepared - It breeds confidence

2.) Create Rapport - It is likely that you don't get nervous when speaking to friends, so make friends in the audience (possibly before you start, meet some of the people you will be presenting to) Then while talking, focus your minds on your friends in the audience.

3.) Own the stage - Be familiar with the stage

There is a free 1 month online public speaking training going on now (Training delivered by e-mail)that you can benefit fro here http://publicspeaking.mindandmouth.com/

I think it will really help.
Re: An Expert In Public Speaking? How Do You Overcome Nervousness? by fatokunbolu: 1:19pm On Jan 16, 2022
You can become a good public speaker through having a good trainer, making sure you seize every opportunity to make yourself better or simply belonging to a public speaking community and you just might become good enough as public speaker that you'll want to build a career out of it.

You could join a fast growing public speaking community based in Nigeria called SPS (Society of Public Speakers). They organize the SPS Speaker Conference, and big events for speakers to talk, which also would be of help to you. Message ODU'ola, He's a public speaking coach and Head of SPS.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Employees Compensation Act / Help On Aptitude Test / UK Bsc And Msc Degree. What Position Can I Expect In A Bank?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.