Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,654 members, 7,902,037 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 08:19 PM

Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? (43092 Views)

No Ethnic Group Can Beat The Fulani, The largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria - Bello / How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano / Anambra, 4th Largest State GDP In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SpicyJosBabe(f): 12:14pm On Oct 10, 2016
It is extremely embarrasing that someone can say Urhobo or Ijaw are the 4th largest tribe in Nigeria.
Where did the person put Kanuris, Tivs and Nupes?
Urhobos are found in only Delta central.

Nupes are the only minority group who have produced governors of 3 different states (Kwara, Niger and Kano).
And the same Nupes are also all over Kogi state and Federal capital territory.

Kanuri people are the only ones who produce governors in Borno and Yobe states. They are the largest tribe in the north-east. They are also found in Jigawa, Bauchi and Gombe states.

Tiv people are all over Benue, Nasarawa, Taraba and even Cross river state where they are among the majority groups. They are also in Cameroon in large numbers.

Gwari people have produced 2 head of state in Nigeria (Babangida and Abdulsalami Abubakar). Gbagyi (Gwari) people are among the largest tribes in Kaduna, Niger and Nasarawa states, they own majority of FCT and they are also found in Kogi.

The problem is that most southernerns think the whole north and middlebelt is Hausa-fulani which is very very wrong and ignorant!

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Saint52(m): 12:15pm On Oct 10, 2016
also in Borno, when i was in the military i served in Baga, baga shared boundary with Niger, i had to run for my life and leave army because BH boys are killing soldiers there. and you wont hear that in the media.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by ceejayxy(m): 12:16pm On Oct 10, 2016
topsyking:
1. yoruba
2.hausa
3.niger delta
4.IBO
oga is naija delta a tribe...

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 10, 2016
[s]
ODVanguard:

Lol. You had to go all the way back to the 1920s, why?? cheesy Because they fit into your jaundiced assertion. Igbos of the present day SE and part SS have the LEAST population in Nigeria TODAY of the 3 major tribes! Prove otherwise with verifiable data or forever shut tha fvck up. No sensible person is buying your bullcrap.
[/s]
You have no shame.

4 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Oct 10, 2016
Armaggedon:
talking trash as usual. Just tell me where indigenous yorubas can be found in south south

Like I said the so many people go to school and the school doesn't go through them, they fail to develop the ability to reason, to use initiative, the think to do things for themselves, to look at evidence and draw conclusions. You are arguing a point from a position of ignorance I have already listed so many points including the King of warri publicly stating that he is a descendant of oduduwa. You are waiting for me to tell you? This is why our graduates are unemployable...dullness everywhere!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by yedidiah(m): 12:19pm On Oct 10, 2016
Ijaw is 4th and Gbagyi is 5th
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by ceejayxy(m): 12:19pm On Oct 10, 2016
SpicyJosBabe:
It is extremely embarrasing that someone can say Urhobo or Ijaw are the 4th largest tribe in Nigeria.

Nupes are the only minority group who have produced governors of 3 different states (Kwara, Niger and Kano).

Kanuri people are the only ones who produce governors in Borno and Yobe states. They are the largest tribe in the north-east. They are also found in Jigawa, Bauchi and Gombe states.

Tiv people are all over Benue, Nasarawa, Taraba and even Cross river state where they are among the majority groups. They are also in Cameroon in large numbers.

Gwari people have produced 2 head of state in Nigeria (Babangida and Abdulsalami Abubakar). Gbagyi (Gwari) people are among the largest tribes in Kaduna, Niger and Nasarawa states, they own majority of FCT and they are also found in Kogi.

The problem is that most southernerns think the whole north and middlebelt is Hausa-fulani which is very very wrong and ignorant!
ijaw has produced governors in rivers bayelsa n even president..but wetin concern governor concern Large tribe ni?..
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by iconize(m): 12:21pm On Oct 10, 2016
Afam4eva:
This country is just full of illiterates. How can someone say that because a tribe is indigenous to several states or even regions, that makes them large. There's a difference between been widespread and being large. A tribe can be found in only one state and still be very large as opposed to a tribe in several states. If for example, you say Ijaw is the 4th largest ethnic group and support it with the fact that they're in Bayelsa, Rivers, Edo and Delta. The question i will ask is "How many are they in these states?". There are about 1.7million people in Bayelsa state and let's assume that all of them are Ijaws (meaning, there are no non-indegenes living there) and let's not forget that the largest population of Ijaws are in bayelsa. Now let's add them to the Ijaws in Rivers state which for the sake of this argument, i'll say they constitute 30% of the population and using the official census, that will be about 30% of 5.1 million which gives you about 1.5 million. In the spirit of generosity let's also assume that Ijaws make-up 30% of the population of Delta state which gives them 1.2 million out of 4 million and let's dash them 500,000 each in Edo and Ondo states. Let's also assume that Ijaws also travel a lot and that there population outside their States is 1 million, that gives them a total of 5.4 million and this is in the spirit of generosity and hear I saw someone saying that the Ijaws have a population of 15 million. The kind of bogus lies some Nigerians tell is just bigger than the problems of the county.

The truth is that there is no official census based on ethnicity in Nigeria. All we can do is to speculate but with reason. For instance, I usually use the ethnicities I run into mostly in different parts of the country to determine which of them is larger and I must say that I come across more than 10 Efik/Ibibio/Annang/Oron people before I come across an Ijaw person. So, there's no way Ijaws are anywhere close to being the 4th largest.

cc: hopeathand, tonyebarcanista

Ijos can't be more than 3million - so it's funny seeing some delusional folks on here claiming that the Ijos are up to 15million. Lool.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Armaggedon: 12:23pm On Oct 10, 2016
vodutive:

[s] Like I said the so many people go to school and the school doesn't go through them, they fail to develop the ability to reason, to use initiative, the think to do things for themselves, to look at evidence and draw conclusions. You are arguing a point from a position of ignorance I have already listed so many points including the King of warri publicly stating that he is a descendant of oduduwa. You are waiting for me to tell you? This is why our graduates are unemployable...dullness everywhere!!!! [/s]
prof, which south south state can we find indigenous yorubas?
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by tivity101: 12:24pm On Oct 10, 2016
the 4th largest ethnic group should be the ijaws. reason is because they occupy the entire bayelsa, some parts of rivers, delta, ondo and even some coastal region of lagos state
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Saint52(m): 12:24pm On Oct 10, 2016
aylagos:
since that's the case the largest tribe in Nigeria is Hausas follow by Yorubas then Igbos and Fulanis

Confirm..Thank you.
...end of discussion. Any more comment i will delete this topic.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 10, 2016
Armaggedon:
prof, which south south state can we find indigenous yorubas?

somebody please help this guy, the state education system has failed him

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Armaggedon: 12:28pm On Oct 10, 2016
vodutive:
[s]

somebody please help this guy, the state education system has failed him[/s]
is that the answer to my question?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by iconize(m): 12:30pm On Oct 10, 2016
SpicyJosBabe:

Don't mind these people. Any person with an IQ above 10% knows that the Ijos are not even the 8th largest ethnic group in Nigeria.

Even another Ijo clown on here claimed that the Ijos are up to 15million. Lool.

4 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 10, 2016
Armaggedon:
is that the answer to my question?

look at my previous posts, I am not going to restate things I have already stated, your answers are in my posts in this thread. Either you can't read or you are what we call "special needs"
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SaffronSpice: 12:32pm On Oct 10, 2016
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Saint52(m): 12:35pm On Oct 10, 2016
Delonn:
Ijaw is the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria followed by Urhobo being the 5th largest.
You need a brain transplant.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Oct 10, 2016
SaffronSpice:

Delta State - Ugbodu.
http://ukpuru.tumblr.com/post/115435435597/far-from-home-yoruba-community-makes-home-in

you shouldn't have wasted your time with the guy, he is not interested in truth, if he did he could have googled and got the info he wants in the time he spent arguing.

some people come to Nairaland to argue not to seek knowledge.

5 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Armaggedon: 12:36pm On Oct 10, 2016
SaffronSpice:

Delta State - Ugbodu.
http://ukpuru.tumblr.com/post/115435435597/far-from-home-yoruba-community-makes-home-in
they are migrants there. There are also Igbos in Ile ife going by that.

3 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by hinohsend: 12:36pm On Oct 10, 2016
SaffronSpice:

Delta State - Ugbodu.

I no understand why u still dey follow the guy argue, the dude is empty.

5 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by DrWillie(m): 12:40pm On Oct 10, 2016
Mr man don't be writing lies to win argument. Ijaw is the single largest tribe in Rivers. Igbos are foreigners. And Ikwerre has more population politically because the metropolis of port harcourt is ikwerre land. But I can still tell you that the ijaws are still more than the ikwerres in port harcourt.

"bro please is it the number of states where you find them or their number in those states..

i am aware that their largest state is bayelsa and some say bayelsa is not homogeneously ijaw..

In delta, the urhobo are the largest followed by Aniomas.

In Edo, Ondo, their population in those states are very insignificant, am not sure of the number of local government they control.. educated me on it if you know.

I dont believe that lagos crap..they are in lagos but as migrant fishermen who live on water and have inhabited those places for long. if at all we want to assume they are indigenous to lagos, i doubt the control a ward not to even talk of a local government. other migrant ethnic groups in lagos even have more people in lagos than the lagos ijaws(just to assume the exist in lagos)

In rivers, the igboid groups are more than 65-70% in rivers state, leaving the remaining 30% to be share between the remain groups "
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SaffronSpice: 12:45pm On Oct 10, 2016
Armaggedon:
they are migrants there. There are also Igbos in Ile ife going by that.
Changing goal post?SMH.I now believe what they are saying about you.

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 10, 2016
Na Tiv, those one dey born like pig.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SMT042(m): 12:47pm On Oct 10, 2016
Ugomba:
@OP. There are NO Yorubas in South South.
Kanuri are the 4th largest tribe in Nigeria.
D AKOKO-EDO PEOPLE IN EDO STATE ARE YORUBA

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by iamhorny(m): 1:01pm On Oct 10, 2016
omonnakoda:
See how ridiculous your source looks. So there is no Efik,Ibibio,Anang and so on?

There was no census in 1921 stop peddling lies

No need cry bro, here are the different classification of ethic groups in nigeria in 1921

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SpicyJosBabe(f): 1:09pm On Oct 10, 2016
ceejayxy:
ijaw has produced governors in rivers bayelsa n even president..but wetin concern governor concern Large tribe ni?..

Ijaw only produced governor in Rivers because Bayelsa was part of Rivers then, but since Bayelsa left Rivers, ijaws can no longer produce governor in Rivers.
Kanuri has been producing governors in Borno and Yobe states even since when Yobe left Borno till tomorrow.
Sani Abacha was a Kanuri man.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by successnd(m): 1:11pm On Oct 10, 2016
mulattoclaroo:
Op for your info they're no igbos in SS. The fourth largest ethnic group should be either Ijaw, Kanuri, Fulani or Bini.
eche, in rivers, Asaba delta state.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SpicyJosBabe(f): 1:12pm On Oct 10, 2016
tivity101:
the 4th largest ethnic group should be the ijaws. reason is because they occupy the entire bayelsa, some parts of rivers, delta, ondo and even some coastal region of lagos state

Bayelsa is a very small state with a small population, can u compare Bayelsa with Borno and Yobe states where Kanuris rule and dominate?

Kanuris are the 4th largest. Tivs are even more than ijaws. It's not about having one village is every state. What is the size and population of the state, how many local government areas and senatorial districts do you have in those states?

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by ceejayxy(m): 1:15pm On Oct 10, 2016
SpicyJosBabe:

Ijaw only produced governor in Rivers because Bayelsa was part of Rivers then, but since Bayelsa left Rivers, ijaws can no longer produce governor in Rivers.
Kanuri has been producing governors in Borno and Yobe states even since when Yobe left Borno till tomorrow.
Sani Abacha was a Kanuri man.
u neva answer my question..
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SpicyJosBabe(f): 1:16pm On Oct 10, 2016
iconize:

Don't mind these people. Any person with an IQ above 10% knows that the Ijos are not even the 8th largest ethnic group in Nigeria.

Even another Ijo clown on here claimed that the Ijos are up to 15million. Lool.

Ijaws no even reach 5 million. Bayelsa is a very scanty and empty state. In Rivers the ijaws are heavily dominated by the igbo groups, in Delta they are minority behind Urhobos and Delta Igbos.
Now how can someone compare Ijaw with a tribe like Kanuri? Kanuris control the in and out of Borno and Yobe states, they are also very many in Bauchi, Jigawa and Gombe states. Not to talk of Tivs who are even recognised in Cameroon and are the largest tribe in the middlebelt.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by asamaigho(m): 1:17pm On Oct 10, 2016
DozieInc:

Pls what does Apapa mean in your language.
In my mothers language it mean groundnut

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Oct 10, 2016
Ibos are more in number

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Tinubu, Bisi Akande & Aregbesola At Ekiti APC Mega Rally (Photos) / Fayose to PDP members: I Am Sorry For My Mistakes / 2023: Photos Of Wike For President Billboards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.