Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,640 members, 7,878,849 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 08:25 AM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (851) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (853282 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (848) (849) (850) (851) (852) (853) (854) ... (1102) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 12:16pm On Aug 12, 2023
Colombia have scored some bangers ‼️
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CornOak(m): 12:20pm On Aug 12, 2023
PDPGuy:
Colombia have scored some bangers ‼️

A superb strike.

I am still pained and heartbroken that we didn't beat this poor English side. sad

England levels from a very poor Colombian defensive error.
1 - 1

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BlueMann: 12:26pm On Aug 12, 2023
Loving this game. The Colombians are a solid unit, very physical side. That Ramirez babe is strong AF, they can almost never get the ball off her. And Caicedo is Caicedo.

Football can be so cruel. Such brilliant work over the course of 45mins undone right at the end by such a basic error.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 12:26pm On Aug 12, 2023
England has been so lucky in this tournament. It's the only explanation for the Colombian goalkeeper spilling that ball.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 12:26pm On Aug 12, 2023
We could have scored a banger also but unlucky
CornOak:

A superb strike.

I am still pained and heartbroken that we didn't beat this poor English side. sad

1 - 1
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 1:02pm On Aug 12, 2023
CornOak:

A superb strike.

1 - 1

Sometimes the way you guys talk here is funny. Euro champions are poor

Were any of our games better than any of theirs?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 1:07pm On Aug 12, 2023
mostob:
I've been noticing that too. If na our sister Dem ask those questions eh.... grin grin
She usually has impressive interviews. Assisat too. They're more exposed than some others.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CornOak(m): 1:09pm On Aug 12, 2023
JohnBullMySon:

Sometimes the way you guys talk here is funny. Euro champions are poor

Were any of our games better than any of theirs?

Yes, so far. They haven't really inspired any confidence, based on their hype and the Euro Champions' tag.

Where are the Asian, North American, and African champions today?

Their goals against Colombia do not tell the full story. A win is all that matters, anyways.

But you would agree with me that we had the better chance of winning that R16 game.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 1:29pm On Aug 12, 2023
CornOak:

Yes, so far. They haven't really inspired any confidence, based on their hype and the Euro Champions' tag.

Where are the Asian, North American, and African champions today?

Their goals against Colombia do not tell the full story. A win is all that matters, anyways.

But you would agree with me that we had the better chance of winning that R16 game.

You think it's easy to win a World Cup knockout game? Once you enter the knocking stages, things get very tough.

They've lived up to their hype, going into the semis as things stand, unless you're looking for unrealistic statistics that only happen in group stage games. This is world cup bruh. France men most likely wouldn't beat Nigeria more than a goal or two in a World Cup game. Knockout matches are generally very tough even if you're the better team.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 1:46pm On Aug 12, 2023
JohnBullMySon:

You think it's easy to win a World Cup knockout game? Once you enter the knocking stages, things get very tough.

They've lived up to their hype, going into the semis as things stand, unless you're looking for unrealistic statistics that only happen in group stage games. This is world cup bruh. France men most likely wouldn't beat Nigeria more than a goal or two in a World Cup game. Knockout matches are generally very tough even if you're the better team.
Just admit it for once. Na always when e reach oyinbo side we go wan dey cook excuse ni? England are the least inspiring among all the european reps left in this competition. Infact they were least before the KO stages started. They were only bested by Switzerland, if not they'll ve least in group stages too. Simple!! KO is tough for anyone, but this English team are damn lucky. In conclusion, they've not lived up to their hype so far as Champs of Euros. Fact!!

Sweden is repping better with play and style.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Kibbs(m): 2:42pm On Aug 12, 2023
daveP:
Just admit it for once. Na always when e reach oyinbo side we go wan dey cook excuse ni? England are the least inspiring among all the european reps left in this competition. Infact they were least before the KO stages started. They were only bested by Switzerland, if not they'll ve least in group stages too. Simple!! KO is tough for anyone, but this English team are damn lucky. In conclusion, they've not lived up to their hype so far as Champs of Euros. Fact!!

Sweden is repping better with play and style.

England is this, England is that

Till they go and win they go and win the damn thing. Ask France men how they did it in 2019.. you think history books remembers a team that played better over a team that won?

KO football are always tight, only a few are different. No bad team reaches the semi final of a WC by luck sha

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by ThePresenceWtf: 2:59pm On Aug 12, 2023
JohnBullMySon:
Mary Fowler

Would we have still won the Aussie game if she were on the pitch that day?

Yes!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 3:09pm On Aug 12, 2023
Kibbs:

England is this, England is that

Till they go and win they go and win the damn thing. Ask France men how they did it in 2019.. you think history books remembers a team that played better over a team that won?

KO football are always tight, only a few are different. No bad team reaches the semi final of a WC by luck sha
See it happens. It's not a new thing in football. It has been like that since days of Pele, and it's not today it will stop no matter what happens on the pitch.

Next, the example of France doesn't fit this narrative one bit. Thanks for adding the "you think history book remember who played better"

Adding that just buttresses my stance. As for thebplace of luck in football, let's not start to pretend today that it doesn't exist anywhere, any nervy moment in football. Luck dey. Some bad teams get lucky. Some absolutely great teams also get lucky. Lucky is a constant in any football equation.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BankyGee(m): 3:10pm On Aug 12, 2023
Before the World Cup, there was one player that said no team that was going to play against Nigeria should think of taking away three points from us easily. She was actually right. No team took three points away from us.

I've forgotten the name of the player tho...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 3:20pm On Aug 12, 2023
AFROSPORT Women’s World Cup: Nnadozie, Kgatlana, Chebbak & Africa’s best XI

The FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 began with high hopes for the four African contingents—South Africa, Morocco, Zambia, and Nigeria—that qualified for the Mundial, but unfortunately, they have crashed out at the round of 16.

Banyana Banyana, Atlas Lionesses, and the Super Falcons all made it to the knockout phase, making it the first time in history that three African teams all qualified from the group stage at the same time, with the Copper Queens being the exception as they crashed out in the group phase.

Following the end of the African sides sojourn in Australia and New Zealand, Afrosport takes a look at the eleven standout performers that honed their skills on the biggest of stages.

Goalkeeper
••• Chiamaka Nndaozie (Nigeria): The Super Falcons shot stopper was arguably the best goalie at the tournament with three clean sheets in four games while playing against four higher-ranked teams, with three of them in the top ten of the FIFA rankings.
The 22-year-old, who was the stand-in captain for Nigeria, weathered any pressure as the leader of a team that had many senior and established stars, wowing the world with a stunning double save to deny Canada’s Christine Sinclair from the penalty spot in Nigeria’s first game. Nnadozie also prevented the second-most goals (59) of any African goalkeeper at the tournament.

Defenders
••• Michelle Alozie (Nigeria): The darling of many Nigerian fans at the Mundial, Alozie was part of a solid Super Falcons defense that kept three clean sheets at the tournament and conceded just two goals.
The Houston Dash fullback completed the most sprints (202), received only one caution, and played every single minute of Nigeria’s four matches, including the extra time against England in the round of 16.

••• Ashleigh Plumptre (Nigeria): Another player that made the Super Falcons defence a tough one to break down was Plumptre. The English-born defender, who is currently without a club, though played at left back, shone brightly for Nigeria, and her eye-catching performances will surely have her phone ringing any time soon. Plumptre completed the most passes (195), attempted the most line breaking passes (96), and completed the most line breaking passes (65) for Nigeria at the Mundial.

••• Osinachi Ohale (Nigeria): As the most experienced defender in Nigeria’s backline, following Onome Ebi’s relegation to the bench, Ohale led the line well for the West Africans. No Super Falcons player scored more goals or completed more headed clearances than she did following her strike against Australia. She also helped the Falcons keep three clean sheets, as they conceded just two goals in four games in which she played without receiving a booking.

••• Hanane Ait El Haj (Morocco): Despite scoring an own goal in their 6-0 thrashing against Germany, Ait El Haj rediscovered herself, helping them to two consecutive clean sheets against South Korea and Colombia as they qualified for the round of 16 in their debut campaign. The 28-year-old assisted the Atlas Lionesses’ first goal of the tournament and completed the most line-breaking passes for the side (73) as they made history in their maiden appearance at the Women’s World Cup.

Midfielders
••• Christy Ucheibe (Nigeria): The engine in the middle of the park for the Super Falcons was Ucheibe, who donned jersey No. 10. She was a standout performer across all four games, playing every single minute and covering every single blade of grass for Nigeria. No African player covered more distance (48.24km) than Ucheibe, who also led everyone at the tournament with successful tackles.

••• Ghizlane Chebbak and Hanane Ait El Haj in action for the Atlas Lionesses of Morocco at the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup. Ghizlane Chebbak The captain of the Atlas Lionesses shone for Morocco, leading them with the most crosses (12), most attempts at goal (6), and also the most line-breaking passes (38).
Although the 32-year-old failed to find the back of the net, including missing a penalty against Colombia, she led her team in distance covered (45.62km), second only to Nigeria’s Ucheibe.

••• Linda Motlhalo (South Africa): South Africa’s No. 10 Motlhalo was on the scoresheet in their 2-2 stalemate against Argentina. The 25-year-old provided the needed creative spark for Banyana Banyana in midfield, where she applied the most presses for her side (147), having started all their four matches.

Forwards
••• Rasheedat Ajibade (Nigeria): Nigeria’s shining light in Australia and New Zealand, Atletico Madrid women’s forward Ajibade made a case for herself as the new star of the Super Falcons. After missing the opening game against Canada, the 23-year-old was involved in two of Nigeria’s three goals against the Matildas of Australia. Ajibade led all Falcons players in applied pressing and was always ready to receive the passes in between the lines to help them begin an attack.

••• Hildah Magaia (South Africa): The joint top scorer at last year’s Women’s Africa Cup of Nations, Magaia continued from where she stopped, helping Banyana Banyana with two goals and an assist at the Mundial.
She scored South Africa’s first goal of the tournament in their opener against Sweden. Magaia also led her team in sprints (230) and successful crosses (13).

••• Thembi Kgatlana (South Africa): South Africa went as far as the round of 16 thanks to Kgatlana’s productivity at the other end of the pitch. She led her team in goals with two goals and two assists. Kgatlana’s 20 attempts at goal were the most of any African player at the tournament, and she also departed as the African with the most goal contribution.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 3:31pm On Aug 12, 2023
Nicole Payne starts for PSG in their Pre Season Friendly Match against Le Havre HAC
#PSGHAC!
Kick off time 4:00 pm.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 9:23pm On Aug 12, 2023
Onyi Jenny Echegini is the most accurate passer of ball in the team.

Said by SuperFalcons Media Officer Tobex!…

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 10:43pm On Aug 12, 2023
ThePresenceWtf:

Yes!
Don't be so sure.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 10:53pm On Aug 12, 2023
Nigeria international, Onyi Echegini has undoubtedly caught the eyes of Italian Club, Juventus as a possible transfer target. ⚪🚨🇳🇬 #Juventus

According to several Reports, the midfielder has already landed in Turin to a deal with the Italian Gaints.
and get to know the structure of the bianconere in Vinovo, but she still has to finish college in the United States and that's why she won't arrive until next season..!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by timay1: 5:16am On Aug 13, 2023
daveP:
See it happens. It's not a new thing in football. It has been like that since days of Pele, and it's not today it will stop no matter what happens on the pitch.

Next, the example of France doesn't fit this narrative one bit. Thanks for adding the "you think history book remember who played better"

Adding that just buttresses my stance. As for thebplace of luck in football, let's not start to pretend today that it doesn't exist anywhere, any nervy moment in football. Luck dey. Some bad teams get lucky. Some absolutely great teams also get lucky. Lucky is a constant in any football equation.

Greece in Euro 2004. Extreme luck.

E dey always happen from time to time in international competitions.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 11:30am On Aug 13, 2023
Nicole Payne PSG journey Continues

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Curtisaxel10: 12:05pm On Aug 13, 2023
Reactions please grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 5:37pm On Aug 13, 2023
timay1:

Greece in Euro 2004. Extreme luck.

E dey always happen from time to time in international competitions.
Thanks for this one too.

If na african team, we always want to say they're lucky. If na euro team, na hardwork. Hilarious.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AndSunGorilla: 6:43pm On Aug 13, 2023
Curtisaxel10:
Reactions please grin
You came late to the party. We don react and respond to am now. According to one lone camper if you find anything wrong with what Okobi said then you are very sensitive. Majority here it seems found the comments unwarranted and in bad taste.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by semid4lyfe(m): 7:59pm On Aug 13, 2023
Curtisaxel10:
Reactions please grin

She no go world cup but na she talk pass. She should STFU. Nonsense!

I hope Randy's contract is renewed and she's never invited to the team again.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Curtisaxel10: 8:11pm On Aug 13, 2023
AndSunGorilla:

You came late to the party. We don react and respond to am now. According to one lone camper if you find anything wrong with what Okobi said then you are very sensitive. Majority here it seems found the comments unwarranted and in bad taste.

Seriously? I was so depressed after our loss to England that I couldn't come to this thread for a while. Well, time they say, heals all things. We move. Oya make I go back go read am.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Curtisaxel10: 8:12pm On Aug 13, 2023
semid4lyfe:

She no go world cup but na she talk pass. She should STFU. Nonsense!

I hope Randy's contract is renewed and she's never invited to the team again.

Seconded.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:23am On Aug 14, 2023
People keep crying about Ngozi Okobi-Okeoghene because out of all the languages in Nigeria she decided to speak facts cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 10:31am On Aug 14, 2023
BascoVanVeli:
People keep crying about Ngozi Okobi-Okeoghene because out of all the languages in Nigeria she decided to speak facts cheesy

Anyway I’m pretty happy everyone is seeing how talented Onyi Echegini is, I mean for the team media Officer to come out plain that she’s the best Passer of the ball in the team… I mean she can’t be lying or hyping someone who got few minutes in the World Cup…!

With reports that she’s opting for a 5th year at FSU, I would have loved she goes Pro Immediately just like Nicole Payne..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 10:47am On Aug 14, 2023
Anyway Nigeria have landed herself a Creative Midfielder in Onyi Echegini 22yrs for the future… Tony Payne already 28yrs

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:17am On Aug 14, 2023
Deltamani:

Anyway I’m pretty happy everyone is seeing how talented Onyi Echegini is, I mean for the team media Officer to come out plain that she’s the best Passer of the ball in the team… I mean she can’t be lying or hyping someone who got few minutes in the World Cup…!

With reports that she’s opting for a 5th year at FSU, I would have loved she goes Pro Immediately just like Nicole Payne..

Haba 5th year for what na? She is ready right now. Well she might be able to make NIL money since she is a star player who has also been to a world cup but outside that I would prefer her in a pro side.

Well from what i have seen Halimatu is the best passer on the team. Christy should leave that Benfica if they won't let her improve her attacking skills. She was a much better passer before she got to that club but they only use her to do athletic stuff.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 11:39am On Aug 14, 2023
BascoVanVeli:

Haba 5th year for what na? She is ready right now. Well she might be able to make NIL money since she is a star player who has also been to a world cup but outside that I would prefer her in a pro side.

Well from what i have seen Halimatu is the best passer on the team. Christy should leave that Benfica if they won't let her improve her attacking skills. She was a much better passer before she got to that club but they only use her to do athletic stuff.

Not sure she's rightly positioned for NIL deals. Even with her world cup appearance, she's vastly unpopular. She's also not very active on socials, as a matter of fact, she started her Instagram page after she joined the Super Falcons. Prior to that she had none. She also isn't the first college player to get featured in a world cup so that again doesn't make her peculiar. Nicole's USC teammate Olufolasade Adamolekun was at the 2019 world cup a lot more college students attended this year.

Methinks she's choosing to exercise her fifth year because she probably hasn't gotten a good offer. She probably will seriously consider with a deal from England, France or Spain.

(1) (2) (3) ... (848) (849) (850) (851) (852) (853) (854) ... (1102) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: Truidstarr, mowah, ekehopp2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.