Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,141 members, 7,907,125 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 01:12 AM

Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car (8992 Views)

Adams Oshiomole Impose #70,000 Monthly Tax On Borehole Owners / Police To Begin Stop And Search On Roads And Highways Nationwide / Nigeria: Jonathan Launches New Tax Policy, Tax ID Numbe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 2:49am On Oct 24, 2009
must_a_far:

I'll rather have sales tax introduced rather than crap ineffective british style value added. That way u actually know how much extra u would pay in taxes if u decide to splurge 1000naira on a burger instead of 200 naira on agege bread, ewa aganyin and orobo mirinda.

PS: I just used food as an eg it shouldn't be limited to food. Better still, have people pay tax on ready made meals but tax free if u decide to do grocery and cook urself same meal.

seconded, instead of harassing people on the street for some stupid stuff that they shd ave dealt with in a better way.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by mustafar1: 3:10am On Oct 24, 2009
Revenue for lagos state. Increase mass transit buses and routes and as u increase that have people pay toll on all bridges that take u into the island. U pay toll to get into the island, if u don't want to pay toll, BRT, going ur way! For the mainland, control how people get on highways like ikorodu road, apapa oshodi express, and what other expressway I can find etc etc. Once that's done, and u have limited spots people get on, toll both goes up next baby (call me crazy but its something I would work on if given the chance to raise revenue for my state)

Epe_lekki express is a special case. In my opinion the minute people decided to populate that part of lagos enmass(lagos elite) the govt should have added a toll plaza right at maroko.

The new badagry express being worked on by fashola, I hope he has plans of adding a toll plaza to it. Now that it being reconstructed, limit entry points to the highway and add toll plaza's to all those point.

What highway did I forget?
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by kidsam: 8:57am On Oct 24, 2009
i observe that most of the guys talking about this issues are in diasporra, and their argument is steming form the fact that if i pay tax here then why should the guys back home not pay tax. Ask yourselves these questions;
Do i pay for electricity i don't use? we pay for that in Nigeria.
Do i pay for 3rd party insurance that is meaningless? We pay for that in Nigeria
Do i pay PAYE tax that and enjoy no social ammenity (good raods, water supply, security etc.) for? Yes we do here

If Fashola needs more money to continue to develop the state, can he tell us that truely, all what he has been able to do is the best all the revenue coming into the state at the moment can do.

Going back to the first post, the whole palava was with respect to a RAV 4 SUV with reg number , , it was not with respect to the income of the owner of a RAV 4 SUV with reg number , So why are you trying to explain what is not obvious by saying they only want to know how much the owner of the vehicle is actually earning.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by DaMayor1: 9:05am On Oct 24, 2009
when I see ppl supporting this policy here on nairaland, I wonder if its the same nigeria were talking bout. when weve not been able 2 stop a single perm sec 4rm cleaning up govt coffers then they want me 2 refill it so they can have more 2 steal. as I said earlier, im not against paying tax, but id rather pay N1m tax2 d govt of Ghana than 1kobo 2 nigeria. at least I can sleep in my house with Nepa, drive my cars on good roads (by d way is it d same car that I take 2 mechanic every week due to bad roads they want me 2 pay tax 4 - thunder fire them), and sleep with my two eyes closed. pls let them work on confidence building, only then can people willlingfully submit themselves 2 be assessed. until then ill use my "TAX" 2 provide myself with all govt has failed 2 provide me ie diesel 4 my gen, contribute 2 street association for security & grading of road govthas neglected, etc. RUBBISH!! Tax my ass,
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by kidsam: 9:08am On Oct 24, 2009
@Da Mayor
I feel you, i'm certain you are here in Naija and not talking from across the ocean
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by DaMayor1: 9:24am On Oct 24, 2009
@ Kidsam
D thing dey vex me. person go dey compare nija 2 London. d same london wey 4 wan colonise almighty America. lets be reasonable, these people have experience on their hands. Nija is forty something (2 tel u as I no send again I don 4 get). Pls can anyone tell me how old UK is. theres just no basis 4 comparism. pls lets localise our issues. compare nigeria with countries like singapore who we started 2geda but now are light years away, even Almighty China is still regarded 3rd world country. were just not ready for an aggressive tax policy till we tackle basic issues. this is a case of using govt might 2 intimidate & rob d people. if thisgoes through, I will stand on a 1million man queue 2 vote Mr Fashola out of office. it seems lawyers will have a fruitful season. Just incase ur watching the news & u see a guy arrested for running down a "tax robber", jst knw its me.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by DJNiyi(m): 10:26am On Oct 24, 2009
Most ppl dnt understnd the principle of economicss, Lagos state is widely populated nd so therefore the govenment incure more expenses and so therefore need more moenyy in order to carry out more major projects, This tax on suv's is jus to send a signal to the rich!!!, we r coming for youu, its a progressive tax system , the more you earn the more you payy, der r too many richh ppl in Lagos nd Lagos being the financail hurb, dey wud try to get more moneyyy to do thingss!!!!!simplee, i fink it a very good idea thoo!!!!!!, pay for traffic workerss, build more roadsss, put the basic infrstructures in placeee, revive the rail system in lagoss!!!>, so ppl dnt complainnn, ts for the benefit of a better Lagoss!!!!!

This is the most short-sighted statement I've ever read in Nairaland.

Advocating for a model where the rich are heavily taxed or are forced to move out will create massive unemployment. Penalising the rich is a flawed economic model that did not work in pre-90s China, Russia, Zimbabwe etc. We need to encourage more people to create jobs and we cannot do that by taxing them dry. People create jobs not the government.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by otokx(m): 10:32am On Oct 24, 2009
This is so very unfair
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by xcapade: 11:35am On Oct 24, 2009
SOMEBODY STILL NOT ANSWERED ME YET OOOOOO.

HOW WILL THE LIR TELL IF I CARRY I.D CARD SHOWING THAT I WORK FOR A COMPANY IN LOKOJA
WHILE I GENUINELY WORK/LIVE IN LAGOS, country where no one can even verify identity/genuine documents.

A PLACE WHERE U CAN GET A DRIVERS' LICENCE EVEN IF U NEVER SAT IN THE DRIVING SEAT OF A CAR.

I LIVE IN U.K AND THINK MOST OF THOSE SUPPORTING THIS CRUDE IDEA HAVENT BEEN TO 9JA IN THE LAST DECADE
AND HAVE NO PLANS OF VISITING AS THEY R NOW SELF-IMPOSED ''CITIZENS''(OVERSTAYERS/ORI OLORI)

This is what the taxes are used for    http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com/Article.aspx?id=2232
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Volunteer: 12:23pm On Oct 24, 2009
I think the policy is pretty simple. Most Nigerians who are not under PAYE engage in practices of tax evasion or avoidance. And as the Lagos government is keen on bringing such under the tax umbrella, self assessment was introduced so that even private enterpreneurs and even sole proprietors can conduct a self assessment and effect appropriate taxes based on their level of income.

However, you know Nigerians being who we are - I make 6 million naira in the year under assessment and declare that i made 600k and pay taxes based on 600k but can afford to buy a 3 million naira jeep!!! What LIRS is doing is taxing the value of those expenses on new cars (for example) as an INVITATION to new owners to confirm they pay the right taxes. Consequently, if you can show evidence that you do pay taxes (and the appropriate amounts), the additional tax and penalty is withdrawn.

I think it does make sense cos there's a lot of inequality in the country. If I pay my taxes, why should other people not pay theirs since we all equally benefit for the infrastructure that is almost not there!
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by xcapade: 12:36pm On Oct 24, 2009
I think it does make sense cos there's a lot of inequality in the country. If I pay my taxes, why should other people not pay theirs since we all equally benefit for the infrastructure that is almost not there!
[quote][/quote]

VERY GOOD, SO WEALTHY PPLE WHO CHOOSE NOT TO DRIVE LUXURY CARS OUT OF PHOBIA OR BECAUSE HE DOES NOT WANT HIS FAMILY TO ASK FOR HELP WITH THE EDUCATION OF  HIS COUSINS ARE FREE NOT TO PAY TAXES AS THEY WONT BE DETECTED ANYWAY.

NO ONE'S ANSWERED MY QUESTION IN MY PREVIOUS POST YET OOOOOOO  angry

SOON THE LIR WILL START KNOCKING ON DOORS OF BIG HOUSES TO ASK FOR PROOF OF INCOME
AND AFTER THAT,THEY WILL MOVE ON TO ASKING FOR PROOF OF INCOME FRM PPLE WEARING DESIGNER
JEANS AND SHOES,
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by DaMayor1: 12:44pm On Oct 24, 2009
@ xcapade.
u are just butressing our point. pls dnt get us wrong, were not anti tax, but I want to believe d govt employs d best brains 2 come up with policies. this policy is an "Agbero" policy. imagine im running late 4 a meeting then these touts stop me on the road demanding this&that. do they have a networked computer to check if im a felon? NO. instead they drag me 2 their office admist chaos 2 confirm. imagine the time wasted. I believe there are better ways 2 achievethis.
to your point of going for assessment, lol! imagine wanting me 2 report my self 2 armed robbers. LMAO! I no fit shout. until they build confidence that all public office holders are 100% accountable, Im a retiree aslong as me & Lagos state govt r concerned, I xpect 2 hear a lot of "failed brake" cases in weeks 2 come. lol!
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 1:05pm On Oct 24, 2009
^^^^ God bless you with that post and that was what i said earlier as well.
The govt needs to put some few things in place and if no one has told them this, then all the dudes making decision and advising the governor gotta go.
However, pple needs to pay their taxes.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by xcapade: 1:15pm On Oct 24, 2009
Da Mayor:

@ xcapade.
u are just butressing our point. pls dnt get us wrong, were not anti tax, but I want to believe d govt employs d best brains 2 come up with policies. this policy is an "Agbero" policy. imagine im running late 4 a meeting then these touts stop me on the road demanding this&that. do they have a networked computer to check if im a felon? NO. instead they drag me 2 their office admist chaos 2 confirm. imagine the time wasted. I believe there are better ways 2 achievethis.
to your point of going for assessment, lol! imagine wanting me 2 report my self 2 armed robbers. LMAO! I no fit shout. until they build confidence that all public office holders are 100% accountable, Im a retiree aslong as me & Lagos state govt r concerned, I xpect 2 hear a lot of "failed brake" cases in weeks 2 come. lol!

WELL SAID BRO.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by xcapade: 1:24pm On Oct 24, 2009
Fhemmmy:

^^^^ God bless you with that post and that was what i said earlier as well.
The govt needs to put some few things in place and if no one has told them this, then all the dudes making decision and advising the governor gotta go.
However, pple needs to pay their taxes.

GOD BLESS U TOO AND KOBOJUNKIE AND THOSE WHO ARE AGAINST THIS METHOD/POLICY.

WE KNOW PPLE HAVE TO PAY TAXES BUT LET THE POLITICIANS COME FORWARD AND SHOW US HOW MUCH TAXES THEY'VE PAID
AS THAT WILL BE A GOOD START-POINT.
imagine ordinary counsellors coming to buy houses in London(how much is their salary).Let them come out AND proof their income.

I THINK SOMEONE CAME UP WITH THAT POLICY FOR THEM TO RAISE MONEY AGAINST 2011 ELECTION.

DEM MAMA
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by adamsN: 2:29pm On Oct 24, 2009
@kidsam.
Who says car tax is unfounded? Did u just decide not to notice Akinyemi stating its being a means to determine earnings (.i.e. using expense to determine earnings). Havent you heard of luxury tax as in the UK?
If the car was acquired on bank loan, then you dont get taxed!
From my own point of view, it aint a bad idea.
Atleast, driving a car nowmeans u can afford to pay a tax on ur car as well as affordability on d car owners part.
Lagosians, Nigerians, I urge us to try being realistic and compromising cos every1 wants lagos a megacity, soooooooo if u dont like it, u can repatriate back to ur villages. LASGITY aint a must be in, EKO ONI BAJE O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by DaMayor1: 2:57pm On Oct 24, 2009
@ Adams N,
undecided. if not 4 d fact im a democrat & believe in free speech / debate, id think u were paid by d Agberos 2 speak here. Nobody is against development. The honest truth is dat the poor will suffer most 4rm this policy cos rich people in nija are stinkingly rich & 620k won't stop them driving their sequia's.
U speak of London, pls let me ask u, "How old is London"? is it not london dat ordinary 10k pounds is making parliament members head roll, & d prime minister had 2 refund some money recently. this gives u an idea of the sophistication / advancement which only comes from experience. do we have d same accountability here? so comparism is a no go area period!!
You speak of "Mega city" when we can't manage "micro city". this is what were talkn bout. imagine d gov surrounded by ppl with misplaced priorities. this is what u get. Agbero policies. let them look 4 investments like exploring inland water ways 2 generate revenue while aleviating d suffering of ppl. Dnt be deceived when govs of Ogun & surrounding states support fashola, they'll be d ultimate beneficiaries of d mass exodus these unfriendly policies will cause.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by xcapade: 4:43pm On Oct 24, 2009
@ adams N

When u compare countries, u need to give instances where such policies had been used in U.K.

Luxury cars are taxed in U.K  through road tax system where a car with a Large engine/emmission
pays more than one with smaller engine/emmissions.(everyone pays road tax)

U.K IS NOT STOPPING ANYBODY TO ASK FOR PROOF OF INCOME COS OF THE CAR YOU DRIVE , which is the argument here

Will you pay tax when u see this sort of rubbish?  http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com/Article.aspx?id=2232 (The outside world would see this and laugh at Nigeria)
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by luvinhubby(m): 8:42pm On Oct 24, 2009
Fashola is becoming a Tyrant !!, ask me how?
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by blackboy(m): 11:15pm On Oct 24, 2009
I guess the Godfather wants more funds to fund their party's 2011 campaign in other states in the West and wants doesn't want to touch the money he collects from Lagos. PDP has said 2011 Lagos is theirs and we all know politics it's a ll about money. The more money you have to spend the more likely you will win. God save us in Lagos. Lagos is making zillions every day through LASAA alone not to mention LIRS
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 11:21pm On Oct 24, 2009
xcapade:

GOD BLESS U TOO AND KOBOJUNKIE AND THOSE WHO ARE AGAINST THIS METHOD/POLICY.

WE KNOW PPLE HAVE TO PAY TAXES BUT LET THE POLITICIANS COME FORWARD AND SHOW US HOW MUCH TAXES THEY'VE PAID
AS THAT WILL BE A GOOD START-POINT.
imagine ordinary counsellors coming to buy houses in London(how much is their salary).Let them come out AND proof their income.

I THINK SOMEONE CAME UP WITH THAT POLICY FOR THEM TO RAISE MONEY AGAINST 2011 ELECTION.

DEM MAMA

I like when i see a man that can think and not just post.
Thank you for such post.
Nigeria will only be better when we are able to tallk about the truth and not just follow a leader cos we like him.
Like i said be4, fashola has done well so far for lagos, but i wont support his idea when i know it is not to the best interest of the people he ought to govern.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by babapupa: 3:19am On Oct 25, 2009
Obanikoro, Lagos.

Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 3:22am On Oct 25, 2009
I am seeing this for the first time, and i will admit it is one of the things that fashola has done and did well, hope maintenance will keep it going well.
Good job to him that particular kinda project
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by babapupa: 4:54am On Oct 25, 2009
I really understand people's sentiments about the guerrilla tactics, but people need to realize the kind of tough and challenging tax culture environment the state is operating in.

Burning paying taxes into people's consciousness after decades of free ride is obviously something new and I'm sure a large segment the population is coasting off the rest of tax paying Lagosians free of charge and the state got to find a way to make sure every lagosian pitch in to sustain the state and it's transformation efforts.

The highway, the plants, the grass and the good looking bust stop in the picture cost money to set up and maintain. There are thousands of cleaners and sweepers cleaning up all day all around the state and they are all collecting pay checks.

Bringing in new equipments and training people to serve 18 million people is not an easy moneyless task, lagos welcomes 10,000 new arrivals from all over Nigeria looking for a better life and opportunities.  Education is there, transportation is there, health/medical is there, civil service is there and we still have tons of multi million dollar ongoing major projects all over the state.

This is an active and pro active government, not take money and steal government. These guys have strong and personal desire and commitment to better and move their state forward.

For example, the state just digitalized health information in the state. If you visited a general hospital in Ikorodu for stomach ache last month and you turn and around and visited another state hospital in Lagos island, hospital staff in Lagos island have access to your medical info including info about your last visit in Ikorodu,what you went there for, what was done and what they prescribed, your allergies and basic demographics. The state is saving money and getting rid of unnecessary paper work. This is not eve available in the US because they're still trying to insert and federally legislate it as part of the health care reform bill.

School kids in Lagos have PIN numbers (prelude to state wide social security and ID scheme) Their unique ID numbers gives them access to state benefits including basics like free books, boys scout and girls guide uniforms.

This is a state of the art waste transfer and loading station.

See this lady? She's the only 18 wheeler truck driver in Nigeria.

Obviously, they're building a new and different society from scratch and it's not gonna come cheap, somebody got to pay.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by anonimi: 10:21am On Oct 25, 2009
This is very good from Fashola. I hope he will enforce it as much as possible while improving comfortable mass transit systems.
It is called progressive tax regime, the more you earn/spend in the economy, the more you pay for common services, infrastructures and their maintenance. if u don't want to pay high taxes, you can stay poor, no be by force to stay rich grin but if you work hard and smart and rake in so much from the populace, you should expect to pay higher taxes to government. if you don't like the way it is being spent, you have locus standi as a tax payer to sue the government.
to those who said we should wait till we get same standards as european and American countries where such taxes are applied, they should realise you need resources and people's orientation & cooperation first to move ahead.
"I am sick and tired of being sick and tired"
Wake up and take action for the change we desire!!!
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by ikeyman00(m): 10:28am On Oct 25, 2009
[size=32pt]oduduwa cohort
u are bloody getting it all wrong again

this is gravely[/size]
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by ikeyman00(m): 10:33am On Oct 25, 2009
[size=32pt]before superman Fashola moves any further i
             think he should firstly demostrates  the taxes and all the revenue generated from all sorts on ground is been wisely and transparently spent. He should as well publish it for the Lagosians

then we know he meant well; u cannot just wake your ass up and start to demand for money when the onces being collected is unaccountted for i afraid[/size]
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by DJNiyi(m): 11:39am On Oct 25, 2009
Dude, 

What's with the LARGE FONTS?

I posted this article because I felt the government is overstepping their bounds by enforcing anti-people, anti-economic growth policies. It is also meant to encourage a healthy debate about the government's actions.

It is however not meant to descend into the murky throes of dangerous tribal politics.

Cut out the "oduduwa cohort" reference and perhaps you'll come across as an intelligent individual.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by xcapade: 3:08pm On Oct 25, 2009
babapupa:

Obviously, they're building a new and different society from scratch and it's not gonna come cheap, somebody got to pay.

Yes somebody got to pay but there are over a million ways of generating revenue

Stopping Luxury cars is discriminatory and crude.
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by namun(f): 7:40pm On Oct 25, 2009
he just wants to reduce the population of people in lagos
if you are not okay with it im sure you have respective villages. please go back
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by babapupa: 8:53pm On Oct 25, 2009
xcapade:

Yes somebody got to pay but there are over a million ways of generating revenue

Stopping Luxury cars is discriminatory and crude.

Name a few,

And people rolling around in luxury cars and throwing lavish owambes on the backs of other tax paying lagosians is equally crude and discriminatory,
Re: Lagos Begins Stop And Search Tax Policy. Slams N0.62m Tax On Luxury Car by Fhemmmy: 9:01pm On Oct 25, 2009
babapupa:

Name a few,

And people rolling around in luxury cars and throwing lavish owambes on the backs of other tax paying lagosians is equally crude and discriminatory,

One of them is to make sure that there is a sticker on every car, and they must be renewed every 2 years or 3 years, and before you can renew it, you make sure emission test has been done and passed.
This will help the environment and renewal, i am sure you know wont be for free, so govt can generate money with that.

2. They can impose property taxes on homes, and make sure that they are paid to the govt, and if you refused to pay, your home or the revenue from it can be garnished, mind you the govt will have to put things in place to make sure that it works.

3. BRT as done by the govt, though, i haven't seen it, but heard some good things about it, so i think the govt needs to encourage people to use it, and make driving within lagos an expensive one, it will cut down on the polution, it will generate money for govt and at same time cut down on the traffic. . . all they need is probably some Toll going into the highlands.

and few more.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian / Charly Boy, Dele Momodu, Others Protest Bad Leadership / Agreements Whose Instruments Of Ratification Were Signed By Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.