Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,356 members, 7,920,341 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 03:02 AM

Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries (7208 Views)

Buhari Swears-in 7 New Permanent Secretaries / Osinbajo Approves Appointment Of 21 Permanent Secretaries / Full List Of Retired Military Officers Released (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by MissEdified(f): 8:02pm On Oct 26, 2016
Lagos State Government Promises To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode on Tuesday said his administration would initiate a process of an upward review of pension of retired Permanent Secretaries in the State, just as he expressed the readiness of the State Government to commence massive training of civil servants starting from 2017.

Governor Ambode, who spoke at Lagos House in Alausa, Ikeja when he received the report of the 2016 Summit of Association of Lagos State Retired Heads of Service and Permanent Secretaries, said the decision to review the pension was borne out of the need to reward appropriately those who have served the State meritoriously for several years.

While alluding to the years of experience of the retired Permanent Secretaries, the Governor said his administration would tap into the wealth of experience of the members of the association and use it to help the civil service and also develop the State.

He said: “We will collaborate together more vigorously and tap into your wealth of knowledge. We want to start this with our massive plan starting from next year for capacity building for the largest civil service in Nigeria, the Lagos Civil service. We will also use it as part of our own development plan and imbibe this knowledge into the existing public service.”

Speaking on the review of pension of members of the association, Governor Ambode said the struggle for dignity of labour for civil servants had been on for a while, but that it was time for it to be actualized.

According to the Governor, “We are going to look at the pension of Permanent Secretaries positively because the whole essence is that if people retire at that level, and those coming behind us, there must be dignity in labour and then there must be some sense of fulfillment.

“That is why we must reward glowingly those who have served the State meritoriously. When we go out and see all the beautiful things in Lagos, we must realize that some people actually built those things and this is the time to celebrate and reward them,” he said.

He said over the past fifty years, Lagos had distinguished itself as the only State that has continually progressed in a manner that anybody would be proud of, adding that the progress was largely attributable to civil servants both retired and the present ones, who he described as the best in the country.

“What people don’t understand is that there is a culture of excellence in the civil service; there is a culture of resilience; there is a culture of capacity building which cannot be seen in the textbooks.

“There is also a culture of tenacity in which you have all that it takes to bring out your competences, your capacities and characters. That is what this association personifies and today, whatever it is that we have done in terms of public sector reforms is never enough because the whole essence of governance is to give back to the people the real quality service delivery that the civil service stands for,” he said.

http://www.newshelm.com/2016/10/lagos-state-government-promises-to.html

Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by MissEdified(f): 8:04pm On Oct 26, 2016

Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by jneutron4000: 8:07pm On Oct 26, 2016
grin
Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by TippyTop(m): 8:46am On Oct 27, 2016
Review wetin?

When are they going to review the pension of the Jagaban of corruption and richest ex-governor in Africa?
Meanwhile, Mr "yellow teeth" Tinubu prepared his own pension before leaving office.
Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by derajojosblog(f): 8:46am On Oct 27, 2016
na so...
Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by derajojosblog(f): 8:46am On Oct 27, 2016
na we dey here...see my link
Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by hemartins(m): 8:47am On Oct 27, 2016
No one can refute the fact that Ambode is working.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by Ayanko(m): 8:47am On Oct 27, 2016
I love this.
Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by Tobyshegz(m): 8:48am On Oct 27, 2016
hmmmm
Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by mikeczay: 8:49am On Oct 27, 2016
Ambo working
Wailers wailing
#Rhymes
Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by Pavore9: 8:49am On Oct 27, 2016
"He said over the past fifty years, Lagos had distinguished itself as the only State that has continually progressed in a manner that anybody would be proud of".....So true!

8 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by drizslim(m): 8:50am On Oct 27, 2016
Great News Thank You Governor Ambode
Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by SamuelAnyawu(m): 8:50am On Oct 27, 2016
I envy Lagos State grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by casttlebarbz(m): 8:50am On Oct 27, 2016
Mo ti gbo
Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by OkoYibo: 8:52am On Oct 27, 2016
TippyTop:
Review wetin?

When are they going to review the pension of the Jagaban of corruption and richest ex-governor in Africa?
Meanwhile, Mr "yellow teeth" Tinubu prepared his own pension before leaving office.

Keep asking foolish questions. Don't hold your own Governor accountable for the plagues ravaging your state. You think because you hawk garden eggs in Lagos traffic your opinion matters?

I'm sure your Governor is going to distribute Ugwu vegetables to retired Perm Secs in your state as if they are goats. grin grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:00am On Oct 27, 2016
That's a good one from Governor Akinwunmi Ambode.
Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by aybrands(m): 9:00am On Oct 27, 2016
don't forget u belong to the other room
Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by saintmark88(m): 9:01am On Oct 27, 2016
How come none of these rtd permanents secretaries dnt have classic n choice hotels n structures n abj, pH n lagos, like one of their counterpart from one of d south south states named Bayelsa??...or does bayelsa pay perm secs 5 times more than Lagos does??
Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by RentALodge: 9:08am On Oct 27, 2016
This is a laudable effort by Lagos State Government. It is sad that even in this time and age many Nigerians still have poverty mentality;
they allow immediate, temporary and minimal gain cloud their judgement of a more lasting and sustainable development. It is my hope that Mr Ambode will follow through to improve on the legacies of former governors like Jakande, Tinubu, and Fashola. Positive social change and developmental projects such as this review of the pension of retired permanent secretaries and Eko Atlantic can only transform lives in Nigeria. Haters, ignoramus of progress please change your thinking; be part of a positive change. Posterity will judge us all - leaders and followers. BE WARNED: Ignorance of the law is not an excuse!

**If you are a student and you would like to work for RentALodge as a RentALodge contact in your school, see the signature for address. We are recruiting for all schools in Nigeria.**
Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by ephi123(f): 9:09am On Oct 27, 2016
OkoYibo:

Keep asking foolish questions. Don't hold your own Governor accountable for the plagues ravaging your state. You think because you hawk garden eggs in Lagos traffic your opinion matters?

I'm sure your Governor is going to distribute Ugwu vegetables to retired Perm Secs in your state as if they are goats. grin grin

OMG, this is the funniest thing I have read today. Please take it easy on the guy abeg cheesy

1 Like

Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by TippyTop(m): 9:20am On Oct 27, 2016
[s]
OkoYibo:

[/s]

As long as you people come cap in hand to share from proceeds in the sale of natural resources from my region, I reserve the right to ask what your governor is doing with the money.
If you don't want my ilk to ask your Governor what he does with his states allocation, then refrain from sharing in the sale of oil.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by Wristler: 9:27am On Oct 27, 2016
Nigeria needs a Socioeconomic and political reformation and it needs it fast.
The other day I heard there's a rift in APGA and I'm like over wetin.. ..
Truth is, Unneccesary monies are at the easy reach of Politicians, to the detriment of the Civil and Public Service and the Nation at large.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by OkoYibo: 9:34am On Oct 27, 2016
TippyTop:
[s][/s]

As long as you people come cap in hand to share from proceeds in the sale of natural resources from my region, I reserve the right to ask what your governor is doing with the money.
If you don't want my ilk to ask your Governor what he does with his states allocation, then refrain from sharing in the sale of oil.

Which proceeds? The ones Asari used to build a University in Republic of Benin or the one Tompolo uses in flexing? You are talking of oil proceeds whan your Govs are owing almost a year's salaries.

Proceeds that couldn't lift your people out of poverty. Your children have the lowest school enrollment figures and Your youths are are all illiterate thugs. Your region is presently the largest toxic dumpsite in the world. What future do you have based on these?

I challenge you to name one present governor from your region that you are proud of. Even GEJ lost his mother-in-law to an accident on one of the bad roads in his state.

Keep making noise on Nairaland. In a few decades from now, you would all reap the reward of your actions.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by Raydos: 9:40am On Oct 27, 2016
Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by Mendelssohn(m): 9:47am On Oct 27, 2016
Nice move anyway..... But I wonder what percentage increase the pension would be reviewed to. Ambode himself is a beneficiary as a retired Perm Sec and Acct Gen of the state. From time immemorial, Lagos has never applied the renumeration structure for serving and retired civil servants, as prescribed by the Revenue Mobilization Allocation and Fiscal Commission, which pegs the monthly pension of retired Permanent Secretaries at about 474,000 and that of Heads of service at about 502,000. It's always been 700,000 - 750,000 respectively on monthly basis. So I just wonder what it would be, now that's it's going to be further reviewed. Lucky them anyway.
Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 27, 2016
Rochas in imo ...has not paid them since 2014 October ..talk more review

1 Like

Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by seguno2: 10:20am On Oct 27, 2016
What of the other ordinary workers?
Are they not affected by the issues that have made it necessary for this increase in pension to retired permanent secretaries?
The other ordinary pensioners should mobilise asap for their own increase as well.
Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by PaulIdu: 10:32am On Oct 27, 2016
This is why We all love Ambode

1 Like

Re: Lagos State To Review The Pension Of Retired Permanent Secretaries by aksule(m): 10:43am On Oct 27, 2016
Please do consider the other ranks. I mean those on levels 01 to 17. They equally made Lagos what it is now. Those in these salary grades need review of their pension to live life not to talk of comfort. Permanent secretaries don't go to the fields but laborers do. They don't have air-conditioning offices but shades of trees. They also go to the market just like the retired perm secs. They also train their children and other dependants just like the perm secs.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bayo Ohu, The Guardian's Reporter, Murdered / Is Bianca A Gold-digger Or Truthful Wife To Dim Emeka Ojukwu? / Soldiers Launch House-To-House Search In Niger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.