Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,418 members, 7,901,171 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 04:09 AM

No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin (38986 Views)

The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) / Colorful Photos From Oba Of Benin Coronation "Oba Ewuare II Of Benin Kingdom" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by gregyboy(m): 11:35pm On Oct 29, 2016
Emassive:
Even the Olu of Warri's demise last year didn't let for anyone raise any canopy to celebrate anything from about August till December. My mom couldn't get job to do her catering in the town for more than 2months. All these over hyped thrones built to keep the people in bondage.

is not over hiped go bck history of all dis monarch in nigeris nd trace pple who strict hisyory u will sre der d sons of d oba of benin eg olu of warri eleko of eko etc
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by Girlbestfriend(f): 11:38pm On Oct 29, 2016
Omoluabi16:
You see. Flagrant disobedience to the nigerian constitution and violation of human rights.To what purpose would you prevent a burial ceremony? The only KING I know is GOD. And the earth is HIS, and the fullness thereof
. Give Caesar what belongs to Caesar, let's rembr Christianity is someone else's tradition, the people who gave black men the Bible no longer make use of it.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by mandax: 11:57pm On Oct 29, 2016
unclezuma:
grin grin grin grin

Endtime Monarchs...

But since nah Benin...Happy Halloween!!!

grin grin grin grin

Which kain custom and tradition be this for Bini?

Even new Oba of Bini want to be a dictator too.

Chai, Pa Buhari will hear this.
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by exnovio(m): 12:09am On Oct 30, 2016
This is nonsense, what kind of country we are living, where a comonn tradtional ruler would impose a law on the people and nobody dare violate it, when goverment enact laws ppl dont regard them. I sorry, sorry, sorry for Nigeria.
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by onionsoup(f): 12:13am On Oct 30, 2016
Ooh I miss The Arch Bishop Benson Idahosa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by keynesstreet2: 12:22am On Oct 30, 2016
Omoakinsuyi:
The Oba must be high on ikoriko weed. Will he pay for the days a corpse will spend in mortuary or embalming? I dare any reasonable Edo indigene to bury their corpse and sue his ass in court. In my area a monarch died and the old cargo chiefs declared a curfew for Oro festival. Ambode warned them not to try that nonsense in his state...but Oshiomhole can't talk because the Oba helped him rigged the election
It shows you dont have sense... Don't control you mouth before the ancestors visit you.... you think is every post you make stupid comment..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by gregyboy(m): 12:31am On Oct 30, 2016
who have the world oba : after so many research we found out the benin actually have the world.it said that oba means shinny in benin that statement was looked up and we found out in benin they used red in everything they do clothing housing ornament even the ground they admire red as a shinng call before the advent of the white and changed red as danger or warning the world "ba" in benin is red in the old benin language b4 d advent of the white u can make a statement saying ya rie' emwin no' oba ni mwen meaning give me that shinny thing but now in presently the world ba" means danger while imose means beauty but not shinny .now after oromiyan left benin bcus he was afraid to enter d heart of benin to take d throne he came for bcus he life would b astake he left leavin is pregnant wife behind wit anger saying his only d person that grew up here dat can flow nd understand dis pple and he left leaving eweka behind thats y in benin uptill nw d king nd his son never meet till death eweka grew up to meet his uncle ogiemen on throne after battle for d throne eweka couldnt win but later came up wit an agreement eweka den ascended d throne not as ogiso bc,us he saw the ogiso as wicked and strict rulers nd as a new era he change the name ogiso to shiny in form of praise to himself the kingdom later yrs expended the kingdom yrs later yoruba empire admire the name and took and used it to ascribe thier royalty nw they make claims obantala was ruler b4 oduduwa so they took oba out of d "tanla" and ascribed the oba to royalty we believe it was a lie told for selfish intrest if they couldnt take the full name obatanla or add to the name to ascribe royalty or king then is al lie if it was to be believe that is true the word oduduwa would hve been used to ascribed thier King not oba

3 Likes

Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by Nobody: 12:36am On Oct 30, 2016
Modern backwardness!...this is 2016!

1 Like

Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by ksjmode: 1:07am On Oct 30, 2016
Are there no Muslim faithfuls in that state? What happen to their corpse(s) according to their Islamic rites?
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by GoodSide: 1:15am On Oct 30, 2016
tyrant

1 Like

Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by Rick9(m): 1:30am On Oct 30, 2016
Sooner or later all these customs and so called traditional would be a thing of the past.

I welcome you all into the New Age of Enlightenment. I wonder why Africa has decided to continue dwelling in the Dark Ages . When some countries are advanncing in science and technology.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by ebenholer(m): 1:38am On Oct 30, 2016
If I hear.... make them no do wat?
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by frubben(m): 3:07am On Oct 30, 2016
Dem still dey do coronation. Ha!!! Na waoooooo.
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by Onboard1: 3:09am On Oct 30, 2016
I just like tradition grin grin grin.
People of Benin make una enjoy the coronation festival abeg.
The pronouncement put a ban on burial ceremony and not interment.

THE WAY I SEE IT
Whoever that died within the said period will be quietly laid to rest until the end of coronation before the burial ceremony. It simply means "do not mix a joyful activities with sorrow".

2 Likes

Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by AreaFada2: 3:48am On Oct 30, 2016
ksjmode:
Are there no Muslim faithfuls in that state? What happen to their corpse(s) according to their Islamic rites?

My brother, you can see why Nigeria is a failed nation. Nigeria's education is a failure. That's why.
The press release clearly says "burial ceremonies" but headline here says "burial" and obviously most took it as no interment. Which is not the case.

Most people here, intoxicated with the wine of foreign religion jump into argument without even understanding the message.

Most just spew their disdain for anything African, bitterness, self-loathing and opposition to anything perceived as "elite, elevated or authority".

Nobody has been forbidden from committing the body to the earth. People already keep corpses in the mortuary for up to a year, while gathering millions to buy many cows & throw ostentatious owambe funeral. Perhaps the same father/mother that never got 20k to but proper food while alive. Oba should consider sanitising this madness. A simple/moderate funeral is enough. Pamper your parent when alive.

A tradition for centuries in Benin, during demise/coronation of an Oba, dances, parties and elaborate funeral blocking of roads are forbidden. In the distant past it could even be forbidden for up to three years!

A relative of ours died in 1979. She was buried/interred the next day. But the funeral rites, reception/dance/party was done in 1980. Because coronation activities forbade such.

During funeral of Oba Akenzua II in the late 70s, the late Senior Advocate of the Masses, Chief Gani Fawehimi, jetted into Benin City. He shaved his hair gorimapa right at Benin Airport as all males are required to do in Benin to mourn the Oba's passing. You wonder if all those forming here can get even close to Fawehimi's accomplishments.

Muslims with a simple burial & anyone just commiting to the earth have no issues.

Every town, city or village has traditions. If you cannot comply, move to another place. Imagine someone suggesting defying Aro in Ikorodu or some other places for example. shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by ImperialYoruba: 4:45am On Oct 30, 2016
Bini city don enter one chance.
Oba say dont bury, he never said dont burn the corpse. grin

If you travel through and smell foul odour, now you know why.
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by Andy1985ng(m): 5:28am On Oct 30, 2016
Supposing I'm a Muslim or I can't afford to keep the body in a morgue for that long?

My people suffer from lack of knowledge.
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by Almand: 6:23am On Oct 30, 2016
citizenjuwon:
Even if the deceased is a Muslim?? Is the king an emperor?
To the binis, he is
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by Girlbestfriend(f): 6:26am On Oct 30, 2016
Rick9:
Sooner or later all these customs and so called traditional would be a thing of the past.

I welcome you all into the New Age of Enlightenment. I wonder why Africa has decided to continue dwelling in the Dark Ages . When some countries are advanncing in science and technology.
But my brother India and China are also Advancing, (especially China)n they also take their Tradition seriously, so what are we talking about........

2 Likes

Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by Girlbestfriend(f): 6:31am On Oct 30, 2016
AreaFada2:

My brother, you can see why Nigeria is a failed nation. Nigeria's education is a failure. That's why.
The press release clearly says "burial ceremonies" but headline here says "burial" and obviously most took it as no interment. Which is not the case.

Most people here, intoxicated with the wine of foreign religion jump into argument without even understanding the message.

Most just spew their disdain for anything African, bitterness, self-loathing and opposition to anything perceived as "elite, elevated or authority".

Nobody has been forbidden from committing the body to the earth. People already keep corpses in the mortuary for up to a year, while gathering millions to buy many cows & throw ostentatious owambe funeral. Perhaps the same father/mother that never got 20k to but proper food while alive. Oba should consider sanitising this madness. A simple/moderate funeral is enough. Pamper your parent when alive.

A tradition for centuries in Benin, during demise/coronation of an Oba, dances, parties and elaborate funeral blocking of roads are forbidden. In the distant past it could even be forbidden for up to three years!

A relative of ours died in 1979. She was buried/interred the next day. But the funeral rites, reception/dance/party was done in 1980. Because coronation activities forbade such.

During funeral of Oba Akenzua II in the late 70s, the late Senior Advocate of the Masses, Chief Gani Fawehimi, jetted into Benin City. He shaved his hair gorimapa right at Benin Airport as all males are required to do in Benin to mourn the Oba's passing. You wonder if all those forming here can get even close to Fawehimi's accomplishments.

Muslims with a simple burial & anyone just commiting to the earth have no issues.

Every town, city or village has traditions. If you cannot comply, move to another place. Imagine someone suggesting defying Aro in Ikorodu or some other places for example. shocked shocked
I don't know you, but I love you. Nigerians are not better than Indians and the Chinese who still keep their tradition. we set our self right, we wee never advance. just look at China today(No Christianity or whatsoever) and they are forces to be reckoned with. so so sad

1 Like

Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by Nobody: 6:48am On Oct 30, 2016
In 2016...africa oh my africa.
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by Sicillian: 6:49am On Oct 30, 2016
all this afonniggers spitting trash just becus thier political obas has been relegated to 4th class obas by His Royal Majesty, EwUare d II which was confirmed in d massive coronation ceremony of my dear Oba. Benin was filled of dignitary from all over the world including a representative from d queen of England represented by the ambassador of d UK to Nigeria, emir of sokoto and kano, d Zulu king of south Africa , Ethiopia, Uganda, Portugal, Benin republic and Ghana where all present, no wonder d ooni presence was not recognized even wen dey where calling d names of dignitaries.

NOTE
d great Oba of Benin is not in anyway stopping his precious poeple from burying thier dead, u can surely bury but must hold on with the burial ceremony (Owambe).

1 Like

Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by Sicillian: 6:58am On Oct 30, 2016
For all u Afonjas saying dat he should be sued to court, I laugh ur destiny. the last military gov. (Onyeregbulem) dat tried it never lasted to see d end of d case, his first son died few days After d first court sitting and he himself got a swollen leg and stomach, after den he withdrew d case and came to beg with his people from d east, but d deed has already been done, he died few days later...
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by neyocj: 7:16am On Oct 30, 2016
Is the oba turnin to a tranny or what...
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by paradigmshift(m): 7:21am On Oct 30, 2016
Omoakinsuyi:
The Oba must be high on ikoriko weed. Will he pay for the days a corpse will spend in mortuary or embalming? I dare any reasonable Edo indigene to bury their corpse and sue his ass in court. In my area a monarch died and the old cargo chiefs declared a curfew for Oro festival. Ambode warned them not to try that nonsense in his state...but Oshiomhole can't talk because the Oba helped him rigged the election

over sabi , bring your corpse to Benin n bury. even your president can't do anyfin.its their custom and no one is complaining. if you have ten head, go and sue the oba ,even the pastors cant try it and they have lawyers and high caliber of people in the state not even you talking from your anus.if you know what happened to oyeregbule the man that handover to oyegun. you won't try rubbish....am sure you don't have tradition in your town.the monarch DT die in your area what was the cause of it death ? lmao.the oba don't play politics, if he does, he will asked everybody to vote against obaseki because of the family he's from but mind u. he removed his hands n allow democracy . ITK..gerarahere

1 Like

Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by paradigmshift(m): 7:31am On Oct 30, 2016
Sicillian:
For all u Afonjas saying dat he should be sued to court, I laugh ur destiny. the last military gov. (Onyeregbulem) dat tried it never lasted to see d end of d case, his first son died few days After d first court sitting and he himself got a swollen leg and stomach, after den he withdrew d case and came to beg with his people from d east, but d deed has already been done, he died few days later...

abeg tell them o.... I laf ...them think say na all those ibo monarch dem dey bribe to enter throne ...onyeregbulem family came all d way to beg n craw on their knees but no way. he saw coffin in his office ..I fear Edo.obaghatokpere isee
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by sabdaz: 7:31am On Oct 30, 2016
We just get here and give comments about things we don't understand. That's on of our problems amongst youths. No research on why, how and all. We just read, we don't even digest before we start typing and posting. 99% of us here don't understand what's going on. I trust the Oyinbos, they will do some research about this
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:32am On Oct 30, 2016
JuanDeDios:

You think it's okay for the king to ban burial for many moons? You think this yeye stipulation comes from the gods?

its not a harmful practice so let it pass.
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:32am On Oct 30, 2016
JuanDeDios:

You think it's okay for the king to ban burial for many moons? You think this yeye stipulation comes from the gods?

its not a harnful practice so let it pass.
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by paradigmshift(m): 7:32am On Oct 30, 2016
Sicillian:
all this afonniggers spitting trash just becus thier political obas has been relegated to 4th class obas by His Royal Majesty, EwUare d II which was confirmed in d massive coronation ceremony of my dear Oba. Benin was filled of dignitary from all over the world including a representative from d queen of England represented by the ambassador of d UK to Nigeria, emir of sokoto and kano, d Zulu king of south Africa , Ethiopia, Uganda, Portugal, Benin republic and Ghana where all present, no wonder d ooni presence was not recognized even wen dey where calling d names of dignitaries.

NOTE
d great Oba of Benin is not in anyway stopping his precious poeple from burying thier dead, u can surely bury but must hold on with the burial ceremony (Owambe).

Tell them
Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by Elebiju: 7:35am On Oct 30, 2016
LorDBolton:

Are you edo? If not pls shut up!

If ya'll have no respect for ur king no wahala.

It's clearly stated there 'the king can give consent'

Classless illiterate with no identity
Why are you hard on the young man? You're the one who is blinded by sentiments and whatever, there is no provision for the king's consent to perform any burial in the press release.. The only provision is that the ritual dance and coronation ceremonies will continue till December 31st except the king directs it ends earlier.. Benin people are know to be rude and arrogant which is what you've exhibited now on a public forum.

1 Like

Re: No Burial In Benin Kingdom Till January 2017- Oba Of Benin by paradigmshift(m): 7:36am On Oct 30, 2016
Andy1985ng:
Supposing I'm a Muslim or I can't afford to keep the body in a morgue for that long?

My people suffer from lack of knowledge.

u lack knowledge. you can bury but you can't have parties and all that ceremony until next year

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Naomi Ogunwusi: When I Started Preaching, People Wanted To Bring Me Down / Cute Italian Lady Speaks Pidgin, Taught By Ex Boyfriend (Video) / Zainab Jummai Ado-Bayero Seeks Otti, Sanusi’s Help Over Accommodation Crisis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.