Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,435 members, 7,881,581 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 12:31 AM

Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? (4678 Views)

Poll: Are We?

Yes: 30% (11 votes)
No: 69% (25 votes)
This poll has ended

Trying Times For Nigeria, Patriotic Citizens' Attitude And Responsibility / TY Danjuma: Nigeria Lacks Patriotic Leaders / Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by Nobody: 8:04am On Oct 31, 2009
Shortly after the 9/11 in the united states,the government introduced the "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism" codenamed "usa patriot act"
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_PATRIOT_ACT?wasRedirected=true
  with the act in place despite its undemocratic modus operandi,the national security of america was considered paramount above other interests and the citizens complied,,but here in nigeria after series of incidents which a civi war between the igbo and the military government,series of religious and tribal clashes between the yorubas,hausa and igbos-sectionalism,nepotism and tribalism among all the tribes.,only a few nigerians believe in the oneness of nigeria;most believe and are loyal to their ethnic,,so what is the way forward?,isnt it high time we legislate a 9ja patriot act that will harness all the tribes in the country instead of thinking of breakaway
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by posakosa(m): 10:58am On Oct 31, 2009
Nigerians LOVE Nigeria BUT hate other Nigerians-----
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by cvibe: 4:50pm On Oct 31, 2009
Only during football.
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by posakosa(m): 4:52pm On Oct 31, 2009
^^^^^^ LOL
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by 1forall: 5:03pm On Oct 31, 2009
We genrally display the potential, but deep down right now I doubt we REALLY are. If u give the entire Naija population the open option of living and working anywhere in the world I doubt we'll remain the most populous black nation sad

And I think its a bit unfair to compare the USA with Nigeria in such terms when there are distinct differences in the way both countries are being run. Its hard for the typical American to show un-patriotism when quite a number of his basic possible worries have been eliminated by govt action. But my guy, its like the 6th time they've flicked the power here this afternoon alone (and power's basic) how can I remember there's a word called patriotism?

Out with our irresponsible leadership!!  angry
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by semid4lyfe(m): 5:17pm On Oct 31, 2009
Hmmm, my patriotic spirit only comes out during football matches and when a Non-Nigerian disses Nigeria and Nigerians.
If na that one I fit bo shirt and sokoto follow the person fight - lol
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by mrperfect(m): 5:23pm On Oct 31, 2009
Not really close to it.
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by r231(m): 6:26pm On Oct 31, 2009
posakosa:

Nigerians LOVE Nigeria BUT hate other Nigerians-----

true
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by slimes(m): 6:42pm On Oct 31, 2009
Why will there be patriotism in a country that has no regards for its citizens? Look at the just much-publicized ASUU strike. It took the same Government more than 3 years to sign an agreement for the bettterment of education yet it has education as its priority. Even the fortunate who can get higher education, where is the job? Present a visa to an average Nigerian now and see his reaction.
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by muffins(f): 6:46pm On Oct 31, 2009
Nigerians and patriotism shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence. grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by Kobojunkie: 7:00pm On Oct 31, 2009
muffins:

Nigerians and patriotism shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence. grin grin grin

Short and simple!!! Lol
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by achilace(m): 7:02pm On Oct 31, 2009
Personally i think the talk of "unity in cultural diversity" is just ironical and total crap. Now that the sick dude is in power, his people are all in high posts. then a red cap wearing chap will come from nowhere with his people and 'ndigborise' everywhere. the truth is, it all starts with each and everyone of us. If your distant distant distant cousin, needs a post in your firm and he isn't qualified and you tell him no, then that's a start, if otherwise, we'll keep on going round and round, and round and round. i wonder if they don't even get dizzy sef!
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by manmustwac(m): 9:16pm On Oct 31, 2009
Arise, O Compatriots" (1978-present)

Arise, O compatriots,
Nigeria's call obey
To serve our Fatherland
With love and strength and faith.
The labour of our heroes past
Shall never be in vain,
To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity.

Read the national anthem you will notice that everything that is happening in nigeria today is the exact opposite to our national anthem. Nigerians are not patriotic
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by londoner: 9:24pm On Oct 31, 2009
Nigerians are the most unpatriotic nationality I know.
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by naijaway(m): 10:29pm On Oct 31, 2009
Right now NO. But will be When it starts doing good. Play a part. good part hopefully.
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by gold4u(f): 10:51pm On Oct 31, 2009
Nigerians are the most unpatriotic nationality I know. SAYS WHO?
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by toideve(m): 10:54pm On Oct 31, 2009
i don't know if anyone is as patriotic as i am
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by WilyWily: 11:13pm On Oct 31, 2009
Patriotic to a Satan kingdom, a Devil Paradise, a Stinking Cage Rule by an Al-Quida train President. Bleep Nigeria.
Bleep that Name Nigeria, I wish i killed Dirty Stinking Nigeria Soldiers as many as i wanted. Nigeria is a Monkey Name, Rule by Monkey people.
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by Redman44(m): 11:33pm On Oct 31, 2009
NO, Nigerians are not patriots and many of them don't believe in the manifest destiny of the country. Nigeria is currently about 250 nations occupying a common geographical space. The different tribes are at each other's throats sad sad, and that is why when a leader comes from a particular tribe, he brings his people in and gives them juicy positions angry angry.  How can Nigerians be patriotic when the state has done absolutely nothing for them!! I can't remember anything that I've enjoyed as a Nigerian  cry as compared to what my counterparts in Europe and America are enjoying. There are no Government initiated social schemes that will make life easier for Nigerians. Moving around Nigeria, you can hardly see well equipped Public Libraries, solid sports centres and parks, functional public toilets, information centres etc. The Nigerian Government does not even have a solid health scheme for the people sad sad There is no accurate information on the Nigerian population which will help the government to plan well for the people. The Nigerian Passport has been bastardised and History as a subject is dying in our schools  cry cry So how can Nigerians be patriotic? What pains me most is that we do not have many Nigerian youths who are willing to stand up and use their intellect to grab the bull by the horns and effect changes in their local communities. Nigerians will follow a youth who can create opportunities out of nothing for people in his or her community. Patriotism starts from inspiring people in your community by doing something positive for them. Cheers.
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by gold4u(f): 11:54pm On Oct 31, 2009
WilyWily

Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic?
« #17 on: Today at 11:13:21 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patriotic to a Satan kingdom, a Devil Paradise, a Stinking Cage Rule by an Al-Quida train President. mess Nigeria.
mess that Name Nigeria, I wish i killed Dirty Stinking Nigeria Soldiers as many as i wanted. Nigeria is a Monkey Name, Rule by Monkey people.
speak for yourself willy,we can make Nigeria better we keep complaining about this country not knowing we are the ones destroying it ourselves.
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by OPCman: 11:57pm On Oct 31, 2009
Patrotic for where?
If you are a Yoruba where would you patrotism begins and ends. Is it to Omo Ibo who would be stabbing you in the back. Abi na this Hausa Yaradua man who doesn't care about anybody except himself and his tribe.

We Nigerians would never be PATROTIC because we haven't got the tool to make us patrotic
Patrotism is derived from using your mother's tongue language to express your feelings, your emotions and your love to others. It's only from language you can get genuie patrotism, I will always love anyone- black, brown, yellow or white- who can speak my Yoruba Yoruba with me.

For example, I don't know if you know that, some Nigerians  had to go and learn Hausa language in other to get contrct from the federal government. Some Nigerians had to change their name to mallam in other to get admission into university. To survive in Iboland you need to speak kedu, odunnma, else you will be used for *******.

No Patrotism my brother, my one and only identity is Yoruba, Nigeria is secondry.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by WilyWily: 1:37am On Nov 01, 2009
gold4u:

WilyWily
speak for yourself willy,we can make Nigeria better we keep complaining about this country not knowing we are the ones destroying it ourselves.
I'm speaking for myself no one is forcing me, See this thing you call Nigeria is already a marked doomed Devil cage. If you know how dirty this name Nigeria is you will never call yourself a Nigeria. A Country rule by Stinking Cattle rearers. You see how Cattle Stinks that is how that Name Nigeria Stinks.
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by ELDINO: 2:07am On Nov 01, 2009
Yes NIGERIANS are SECTIONISTS,CHAOTIC,TRIBALIST, NAME THEM.These makes NIGERIANS PATRIOTIC.PEACE!!
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by Nobody: 2:32am On Nov 01, 2009
I really dnt care about Nigeria anymore. Na my state be the koko cool
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by AfroCynic: 3:07am On Nov 01, 2009
I am a patriotic Nigerian. Only God knows why but I love the country no be small,
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by frgy1: 5:39am On Nov 01, 2009
cvibe:

Only during football.
not in all cases o. i was discussing with 1 hausa guy yesterday and he was genuinely unhappy that the u17 team made it out of the group stage. i ask am why, in say because no hausa guy for the whole team, not even on the bench.

about the topic, i think to a certain level we are patriotic ,our own definition of the word just different small. our "e go beta" attitude towards dis country sef could be considered patriotism. if na some countries wetin dey hapen 4 naija dey happen, u wont believe the kind of chaos they will be in.e go times 10 our own
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by Nobody: 6:43am On Nov 01, 2009
Many of these unpatriotic Nigerians need to GET THE HELL OUT OF THE COUNTRY AND STOP BOTHERING THE REST OF US.

Why not go and live in Sierra Leone or Uganda, then you know what real suffering is. BELIEVE ME I KNOW, COS I'VE BEEN TO THOSE PLACES, AND NIGERIA IS PARADISE COMPARED TO THEM.

Hopeless, perennial  MOANERS.

I hear of some fools spending up to $10,000, $20,000 to queue up at the embassy to emigrate to UK and US where the majority will end up doing menial, dead-end jobs like cab driving and security officer.

Yet with just $2,000 you can start a HIGHLY LUCRATIVE BUSINESS in Nigeria, that will increase your prosperity if you devoted ONE TENTH as much effort to it as you do to waking up at 4am to queue at the US embassy, or to working as a kitchen porter in Europe.

Rubbish. Abeg go to hell, useless idiots. Perennial MOANERS.

Is it not the Chinese that are flooding this same Nigeria to open up restaurants, gyms, and other services left right and centre?

Do they have two heads?

The same China that is experiencing an unprecedented boom in their own country.

Yet all the way from there they can smell the opportunities which abound in Nigeria, where Nigerians only see ''problems''. Complaining from morning till night.

Nonsense! Abeg get lost. Useless MOANERS.

Time wasters!!

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by bibiking1(m): 7:32am On Nov 01, 2009
Hmm, It is understandable that a lot of you are appalled with the level of decadence in the polity now, the senility of the present government and the boisterous looter of yesterday screamin in our faces! However, patriotism does not stem out of the reactions to all there ill situations, it is a true love for the motherland regardless of the present anomalies. There is a funny cycle here that has kept us in chains for a while: nigerians are suffering because we are not patriotic, and we are not patriotic because we are suffering. We are part of a hypocritical mill, those self denying traitors that pack their bags and run to the west only find out they are an inferior breed and soon run back flauntin their distorted speech in our faces like they were made kings over there, we know better. Until we are ready to collectively regain our freedom from the imperialistic monarchy personalized by the PDP we shall keep moanin and playin the self-pity role in this film. Their blood would water the tree of freedom!
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by posakosa(m): 10:36am On Nov 01, 2009
@ Rossike: it became much easier for the chinese to open businesses in Nigeria because they have enormous access to capital for business development.

Only the RICH in Nigeria have such access to such capital <which they often squander>and  NOT the average Nigerian who may have a very wise and intelligent business idea that can help move Nigeria forward.

Nothing exists in vacuum. 
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by Olayinkaoj(m): 6:08pm On Nov 01, 2009
No we are not because no leader has shown to us what real patriotism is. Until the leaders teach us what real patriotism is, same old Nigeria remains
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by finemocha(f): 8:09pm On Nov 01, 2009
no we arent and dotn listen to the lies some will say
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by AbleBodied: 9:51pm On Nov 01, 2009
Without doubt but why is this stupid post

(1) (2) (Reply)

UN Asks For The CCTV Footage Of Bombed Building / First Day At Work, Ambode Goes After Fashola’s Loyalists, Sacks Fashola’s Sister / Shooting Of Unarmed & Peaceful IPOB Protesters Caught On Camera!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.