Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,845 members, 7,872,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 11:18 PM

Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! (4117 Views)

How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! / My Car Has Been Packed For 4 Months- What To Do Before Starting It Up Again / Can I Replace My Car Engine Oil With A Road Side Measurement Oil? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by steveyen(m): 7:04am On Nov 19, 2016
Hello House,

Please I really need help,contributions and advice.

I have this Nissan Maxima that I parked for some months because I wasnt around. On returning, I decided to ask for advice here on nairaland what I should do prior to starting the car up because I believe in keeping the car in prime condition through maintenance and I was mostly told to change the oil.

The popular nairalander automechanics(name withheld) that I went to get the oil filter from offered to send one of his boys with me to do the servicing. We also agreed that the boy will drive the car to his workshop where he will look at the car, scan it and if anything do some tune up on it. However, the boy on getting to my place took a look at the engine oil, check the car various fluids and started the car and it started once. We then drove it to the nairalander's place. He did the scanning and he found a code on the car P1800(VIAS CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE). He also said the car is running lean and that the car need some minor tune up. He promised to check everything and get back to me later in the evening. I paid him the diagnostic fee and promise to transfer money for the oil an filter to him and I left his place.

To my amazement, he later called me to tell me that the car is doing intermittent start. That is, the car starts and work for a while then go off, then wont start again, then it will start and work for a while and stops and repeats this cycle. But when I was with him the car starts fine and work normal throughout the time he was doing the test.

To cut the whole story short , he first said it was the cam/ crankshaft sensor but when he replaced them the problem persists. He now said it is the ECU, but they have been changing several ECU but problem persist.

This whole thing is going to a week now. I am just confused,terrified and frustrated. I hav critical use for this car. I believe this guy is trying his best but I believe two heads are better than one. Please any advice, suggestion and analysis of the problem with solutions will be highly appreciated.

Please I am counting on the gurus in the house to throw me a lifeline I am currently at my wits end . Please what is the issue with this car now?The car has never have this kind of starting issue before.

Please so sorry for the long story is for people to have a clear idea of the situation. Thanks all in advance.
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by mayor2013: 8:14am On Nov 19, 2016
Which of the nissan maxima is this. Year, engine size. This is where is the idea of patience comes in cos I could see in your post where you are already in need of the car. Was the tune up done? If the fuel delivery system was lean. Then let him go ahead with the engine tune up

Checking fuel pressre from fuel pump, spark plugs, ldle air control valve, air filter, throttle body, clogged up fuel injectors etc.
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by steveyen(m): 8:27am On Nov 19, 2016
mayor2013:
Which of the nissan maxima is this. Year, engine size. This is where is the idea of patience comes in cos I could see in your post where you are already in need of the car. Was the tune up done? If the fuel delivery system was lean. Then let him go ahead with the engine tune up

Checking fuel pressre from fuel pump, spark plugs, ldle air control valve, air filter, throttle body, clogged up fuel injectors etc.

Thanks Mayor2013.

It's Dagrin 04 3.5L .

Accordingly to him, he could not do the tune up. He is seriously battling to get the car running. Changing several ECUs and programming.

Yes you are right, I am seriously in need of the car, it has been with him for a week and counting.
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:28am On Nov 19, 2016
The popular nairalander automechanics(name withheld)

It is not me o!!!

I suspect diportivo sha tongue

Op replace the crank and cam sensors again.

They are evil.

2 Likes

Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by Nobody: 11:12am On Nov 19, 2016
The P1800 seems to have been left out as a possible solution.

1 Like

Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by steveyen(m): 11:59am On Nov 19, 2016
Costee:
The P1800 seems to have been left out as a possible solution.

Thanks Costee.

This was left out because the car was starting and behaving almost normal with P1800 code on it.
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by steveyen(m): 12:03pm On Nov 19, 2016
Oga Gazzuzz definitely not you smiley

We will work on this angle now. Dont know these sensors could be so problematic. Thanks a lot
GAZZUZZ:

It is not me o!!!

They are evil.

Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by DECOtech(m): 4:34pm On Nov 19, 2016
steveyen:

Please I am counting on the gurus in the house to throw me a lifeline I am currently at my wits end . Please what is the issue with this car now?The car has never have this kind of starting issue before.

Has he done anything about the P1800 code? if not, he shld check for vaccum leaks. in a case where he finds no leakage, the VIAS control solenoid has to be replaced.

The engine is behaving like that cos it's management system intermittently records out of range values of un-metered air in the system.
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by diportivo: 5:54pm On Nov 19, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

It is not me o!!!

They are evil.

Why evils na grin
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by mayor2013: 6:50pm On Nov 19, 2016
Let him check the idle air control valve. Let him check the throttle body. If dirty clean it up. That can cause this problem as well. Just treated this same issue on a pathfinder
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:46pm On Nov 19, 2016
mayor2013:
Let him check the idle air control valve . Let him check the throttle body. If dirty clean it up. That can cause this problem as well. Just treated this same issue on a pathfinder

are you sure it has one? guy just leave this matter... grin

Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by mayor2013: 7:51pm On Nov 19, 2016
If it doesn't the scan tool would not throw up that fault error. " idle air control system " you better leave Nissan o grin
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:23pm On Nov 19, 2016
mayor2013:
If it doesn't the scan tool would not throw up that fault error. " idle air control system " you better leave Nissan o grin

for this present matter, where you see idle air control valve?
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by mayor2013: 9:56pm On Nov 19, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

for this present matter, where you see idle air control valve?

It is built into the throttle body sir
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 19, 2016
mayor2013:

It is built into the throttle body sir
Nope. Nissan removed the IACV from the Maxima after 2001. The term used for the TB function is Idle Speed Control System. And when it's out of specs you need Idle Air Volume Learning for correct regulation.
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 19, 2016
steveyen:

Thanks Costee.

This was left out because the car was starting and behaving almost normal with P1800 code on it.
The P1800 caused by the VIAS is deceptively innocuous. It does not switch on the MIL, never giving any trouble until it's gone totally bad. Don't ignore it.
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by Nobody: 10:32pm On Nov 19, 2016
mayor2013:
Let him check the throttle body. If dirty clean it up.
That's one thing you don't want to do.
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by mayor2013: 11:02pm On Nov 19, 2016
Costee:

That's one thing you don't want to do.

Why?
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by mayor2013: 11:05pm On Nov 19, 2016
Costee:

Nope. Nissan removed the IACV from the Maxima after 2001. The term used for the TB function is Idle Speed Control System. And when it's out of specs you need Idle Air Volume Learning for correct regulation.

Am talking about the nissan pathfinder 2003. And what happens in a case where you run a scan and find idle air control system lower than expected
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by Nobody: 1:04am On Nov 20, 2016
mayor2013:

Am talking about the nissan pathfinder 2003. And what happens in a case where you run a scan and find idle air control system lower than expected
Same as the Max. No IAVC in the 2003 Pathy. As I already mentioned if the ISC system is low (or high) then you do IAVL, provided the TB is still good.
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by Nobody: 1:11am On Nov 20, 2016
mayor2013:

Why?
Well-known fact. You risk a high rpm. The TB adapts well to the grit that builds on the valve over time; remove the dirt and the you throw the TB off balance. No problem once you have the tool to do the IAVL to "pacify" it.
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by mayor2013: 5:58am On Nov 20, 2016
Costee:

Well-known fact. You risk a high rpm. The TB adapts well to the grit that builds on the valve over time; remove the dirt and the you throw the TB off balance. No problem once you have the tool to do the IAVL to "pacify" it.

That's well known on a drive by wire system. Best way to clean is take it off the intake plenum or better have someone press the pedal for you while you do the cleaning.
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:22am On Nov 20, 2016
mayor2013:

That's well known on a drive by wire system. Best way to clean is take it off the intake plenum or better have someone press the pedal for you while you do the cleaning.

This is nissan, you clean it, you find trouble.
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by Nobody: 7:27am On Nov 20, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

The good point is there's really no need to clean. It works itself to the end.
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by mayor2013: 8:44am On Nov 20, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

You and nissan sha. I dey bring one come your workshop sir grin
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:56am On Nov 20, 2016
mayor2013:

You and nissan sha. I dey bring one come your workshop sir grin

If you try it ehn, the thunder that will fire you still de do pressup angry angry
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by mayor2013: 8:58am On Nov 20, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

If you try it ehn, the thunder that will fire you still de do pressup angry angry

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by diportivo: 4:33pm On Nov 21, 2016
Op how far?

Is ur car still with d popular nairaland auto technician

Its going to 2 weeks now oh
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by steveyen(m): 1:29pm On Nov 22, 2016
diportivo:
Op how far?

Is ur car still with d popular nairaland auto technician

Its going to 2 weeks now oh

The car is still there oh. I don tiya seriously !!! So many things to do forfeited.

I once with him when he was doing some lengthy diagnostics. Gazzuz was right it has been the Camshaft position sensor all this while !!!! Meanwhile several days has been lost changing several ECUs which shouldnt be.

Now the problem according to him is to get a working Camshaft position sensor . Going to three days search now.
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by steveyen(m): 1:33pm On Nov 22, 2016
Please anybody has or can direct us to where to get a good working Camshaft position sensor for Nissan Maxima 04 ( Dagrin)

My AutoMech has been on the look out for it for days now and I am car has been doing siddon look for going to two weeks.

Any help will be appreciated.
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 22, 2016
Blowing hot and cold. That car seems to be in the wrong hands.
Re: Please HELP Needed For My Car- Starting Issues!!!! by diportivo: 3:55pm On Nov 22, 2016
steveyen:

The car is still there oh. I don tiya seriously !!! So many things to do forfeited.

I once with him when he was doing some lengthy diagnostics. Gazzuz was right it has been the Camshaft position sensor all this while !!!! Meanwhile several days has been lost changing several ECUs which shouldnt be.

Now the problem according to him is to get a working Camshaft position sensor . Going to three days search now.

Sorry bro..I feel ur pain

It can be so frustration

I wonder who dis so called popular nairaland mecho is sef undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? / Buy Or Not To Buy? Converted Nissan Primera SE / Dubai Sheikh Builds World's Largest SUV Out Of Jeep Wrangler And Military Truck

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.