Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,245 members, 7,880,914 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 09:06 AM

What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? (1428 Views)

What Are Some Of The Things You Learned In Life As You Grew Older/mature? / If You Grew Up Without A Father,how Did you overcome / 10 Hilarious Things You Can Relate To If You Grew Up In An African Home (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by Rapmoney(m): 1:54pm On Nov 27, 2016
As kids growing up in Nigeria, we had certain stories we held to be true. These tales, after hearing them over and over again, became beliefs. Below are some of them:

1) COVER THE CUT-OFF HEAD OF THE CHRISTMAS DUCK IN A DRUM AND IT WOULD CHANGE INTO A SNAKE AFTER SEVEN DAYS grin This is one childhood tale that still get me laughing; even till today. Come to think of it, what's the relationship between an Ave and a Reptile?

2) ANY FOOD THAT TOUCHES THE GROUND HAS BEEN EATEN BY DEVIL: It was common to hear statements like 'Hey! Devil dor eat am', whenever your food touched the ground, by a friend or sibling. I'm sure the older folks used this to discourage us from picking food on the floor to avoid contamination.

3) YOU MUST RUN ROUND THE BUILDING AND THROW YOUR BROKEN TOOTH ON THE ROOF AFTER SOME INCANTATIONS, ELSE YOU GROW THE TOOTH OF A RAT grin African mothers sha!!!

4) IF A BOIL APPEARS ON YOUR EYE-LID, IT IS BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE RENDERING HELP TO YOUR CLASSMATES! So many times, we were deceived into sharing lunch that was not even enough for us with classmates cool

Feel free to post the ones you know.

Happy Sunday to all cheesy

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by yeyeboi(m): 1:56pm On Nov 27, 2016
Ok
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by Rapmoney(m): 1:57pm On Nov 27, 2016
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by zinachidi(m): 2:02pm On Nov 27, 2016
if u swallow orange seed, orange tree will grow in your belly

If u whistle at night, evil spirits will visit u.
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Nov 27, 2016
Rubbing your navel with saliva so as to avert pooing grin

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by MrsMurphy(f): 2:26pm On Nov 27, 2016
M
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by Edwinmason(m): 2:27pm On Nov 27, 2016
if your teeth pull take am round ur head 7 times then throw am on top zinc.....if not e nor go grow again
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by Rapmoney(m): 2:44pm On Nov 27, 2016
zinachidi:
if u swallow orange seed, orange tree will grow in your belly

If u whistle at night, evil spirits will visit u.
The thought of having trees grow in your belly gave many of us sleepless nights as kids! grin

As for the whistling, some adults still believe it.
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by kinggogo: 2:45pm On Nov 27, 2016
E plent buh i go jst type 3 grin

If i spit on d floor without cleaning it and sm1 steps on it, i'd automatically av sore throat grin grin. Cn u believe dat grin .

If its sunny and there is a downpour, it means an elephant has given birth grin

We were told hell fire is under d ground, so if we dig up d ground we'll c hell fire grin grin
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by Rapmoney(m): 2:46pm On Nov 27, 2016
ALKARULEZZ:
Rubbing your navel with saliva so as to avert pooing grin
Aboy, you be real Warfi pikin! We did that in Pry school. Lol! cheesy
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by obawinner(m): 2:46pm On Nov 27, 2016
India won nigeria 100-0
the referee now say if nigeria score 1 that we have win..
Samuel okwaragi now want to play penalty, the ball turn to stone, the keeper turn to lion.. that's what kill okwaragi.

and who the hell invented ojujucalabar. buhari should jail the person
anytime anybody mention ojujucalabar the person has gotten my mumu button.
ojujucalabar
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by Rapmoney(m): 2:48pm On Nov 27, 2016
kinggogo:
E plent buh i go jst type 3 grin

If i spit on d floor without cleaning it and sm1 steps on it, i'd automatically av sore throat grin grin. Cn u believe dat grin .

If its sunny and there is a downpour, it means an elephant has given birth grin

We were told hell fire is under d ground, so if we dig up d ground we'll c hell fire grin grin
I dey tell you! They told us when it is raining and the sun is shinning at the same time, elephants would be giving birth. They also told us that the Hippo poos butter! grin
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by Rapmoney(m): 2:51pm On Nov 27, 2016
obawinner:
India won nigeria 100-0
the referee now say if nigeria score 1 that we have win..
Samuel okwaragi now want to play penalty, the ball turn to stone, the keeper turn to lion.. that's what kill okwaragi.

and who the hell invented ojujucalabar. buhari should jail the person
anytime anybody mention ojujucalabar the person has gotten my mumu button.
ojujucalabar
Lol! What about Thunder Balogun that was asked by his wife to remember his 'left leg'? He played the ball and it went through the stomach of the goalkeeper.
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by Rapmoney(m): 2:53pm On Nov 27, 2016
Edwinmason:
if your teeth pull take am round ur head 7 times then throw am on top zinc.....if not e nor go grow again
grin
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by Nobody: 7:13am On Nov 28, 2016
Rapmoney:
Aboy, you be real Warfi pikin! We did that in Pry school. Lol! cheesy

As in ehn.. cheesy
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 28, 2016
I was told that intake of coconut juice dulls the brain.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by ChemicalReaction(f): 8:34am On Nov 28, 2016
As a girl, don't go close to a guy else you'll get pregnant.
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by 5minsmadness: 9:10am On Nov 28, 2016
Drinking coconut water will make you dumb.

Who has drunk coconut water here, abeg is that ish true? sad
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by Rapmoney(m): 11:44am On Nov 28, 2016
5minsmadness:
Drinking coconut water will make you dumb.

Who has drunk coconut water here, abeg is that ish true? sad
Lol! An old wife's tale! grin grin
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by Rapmoney(m): 11:44am On Nov 28, 2016
ChemicalReaction:
As a girl, don't go close to a guy else you'll get pregnant.
True, I remember that one.
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by Rapmoney(m): 11:50am On Nov 28, 2016
CC: RoyalRoy
Re: What Are The Superstitious Beliefs You Grew Up With As A Child? by NevetsIbot(m): 11:35pm On Nov 28, 2016
talking while you're pounding yam will make your mates beat you.
Dont sew your clothe on yourself. You'll pin demons to yourself.
Don't look at your shadow at night, you'll have nightmares.
Don't look at a miror at night, you'll have bad dreams.
Don't let your body touch a girl, she'll get pregnant.
Shake a clothe after pulling it off the hanger to shake off demons.
If its sunny nd raining, satan is beating his wife or a lion is giving birth.
Many, i've forgotten many

(1) (Reply)

Family Items For Sale..... / Baby Walks Just Minutes After Birth / How Do Men Carry Out DNA Test Without The Wife Knowing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.