Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,400 members, 7,910,987 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 10:06 PM

Character Design/Animation Challenge - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Character Design/Animation Challenge (12960 Views)

How To Draw And Paint Comic Style Character Easy. / I need laptop recommendation to buy For Graphic Design & Animation / Solidworks 2D/3D Design/Animation/Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 5:51pm On Dec 15, 2016
I'm beginning to enjoy this thread and I'm learning too @ okx . kazuna, where r your shots too now ?
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 5:55pm On Dec 15, 2016
please, can I ask questions?
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 6:00pm On Dec 15, 2016
Pls feel free to ask any question and comment.
This is strictly a learning thread.

No question is out of place
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 6:59pm On Dec 15, 2016
ok....i will post screenshots of my WIP.

I am using this streetfighter guy as a reference for muscles, even some face structure.

,edit: i always start with a sphere, subdivide severally to get somethang smooth and mouldy.

I dont do vertice modelling. And at this stage, i often begin with head as a separate mesh.

while modeling, i dont attempt to be as accurate/perfect at the initial stages....try that and u will be frustrated.

And i dont like putting my references images into the Softwares GUi....i feel it blocks/restricts my work area. i dont know why this happens.
So, i often open my reference images with the picture viewer and fit it in such a way that i can see it on my desktop while modelling.

I will model and not care about the vertice resolution, the vertex count should come up while retopoing. At this stage, i love the freedom to sculpt wt abandon.

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 8:50pm On Dec 15, 2016
@okx, don't u mind about the circular topology on d eye and the d mouth for d mask?

@okx&kazuna ...please, d head of any character has been my problem so far. I will appreciate u to post shot on d progress of how u modelled the head or maybe lead me to tutorials that can teach head modelling.

@ kazuna....this shots u posted, pls are the sculpted or modelled?
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 9:02pm On Dec 15, 2016
Okay,wanted to start posting w.i.p as soon as i finish one stage of crafting....,but here goes nothing;
TUESDAY:Image setup
WEDNESDAT:Character buildup starting with the head.(i dont have a specific method of model, i just follow as the spirit leadssmiley)
Thursday:Attaching some accessories
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 9:42pm On Dec 15, 2016
N.B:Apologies pix was arranged in no particular order

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 15, 2016
tirigbosa:

@okx&kazuna ...please, d head of any character has been my problem so far. I will appreciate u to post shot on d progress of how u modelled the head or maybe lead me to tutorials that can teach head modelling.

@ kazuna....this shots u posted, pls are the sculpted or modelled?

try blenderella series....the tutor uses vertex modelling.

I often, okay, always uses sculpting. Test her amd see if you can go wt her style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv0tjldopzY

u dont learn xter modeling in one go....just keep following tutors such as this and keep practicising. before long, it will get into ur blood. Its not magic, but dedication. Check out her series and do it for a week, if u find her method of vertices annoying, say, and i will point u to another tutor who primarily sculpts.

Keep faith.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 11:34pm On Dec 15, 2016
Great job guys, loving the flow.

@tirigbosa
I try to make my edge loops flow along the lines that I want them to deform, hence the circular form.

@kazuna
Looking great already. If that was via sculpting, then you'd be a natural for zbrush or mudbox.

I love the African feel about his features.

@prince
Awesome! Great edge flows! You would excel at a low poly contest. You fit in a lotta detail with minimum polys.

Can't wait to see him detailed.
I had to take a break but will toy with my model for a few hours now.

Good job guys!
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 7:51am On Dec 16, 2016
I'm not competing. just wanna show a character I modeled dis morning. Still learning tho... my first character model

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 9:46am On Dec 16, 2016
@fighal
Nice. What software is that?

Is that a generated model or did u model from scratch?

Would be nice if you joined this challenge, you would increase your knowledge base.

Cheers
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 10:26am On Dec 16, 2016
OKX:
@fighal
Nice. What software is that?

Is that a generated model or did u model from scratch?

Would be nice if you joined this challenge, you would increase your knowledge base.

Cheers
generated model.. did some tweaking
Software: MakeAHuman
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 12:59pm On Dec 16, 2016
@fighal
ok, thanks for the info.
I would also suggest you take time out and practice creating models from scratch, it makes for a better rounded artist.

ok, update....been up most of the night

started with the armor that protects the neck

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 1:05pm On Dec 16, 2016
the next set of shots r pretty self explanatory.
they merely show the progress of the work

1 Like

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 1:08pm On Dec 16, 2016
showing a turnaround of the head with the helmet/mask.
starting to rough out the torso

1 Like

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 1:10pm On Dec 16, 2016
increasing the resolution and continuing the modeling of the hands and legs

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 1:14pm On Dec 16, 2016
i work on half the model, duplicating the other half as an instance, so that any updates on one side are reflected to the other side.

that gives me an overall feel of everything.
eventually i will mirror the geometry across the relevant axis, and slightly tweak the other side to avoid perfect symmetry.

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 1:15pm On Dec 16, 2016
OKX:
@fighal
ok, thanks for the info.
I would also suggest you take time out and practice creating models from scratch, it makes for a better rounded artist.

ok, update....been up most of the night

started with the armor that protects the neck
which 3D software do you use?
that doesn't look like blender to me..
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 1:27pm On Dec 16, 2016
@fighal
i am using Maya for this project.

the model is set to be exported to Mudbox for more detailing.
if the model was going to get really close to the camera, i would opt for zbrush, but for this i chose Mudbox. i find it simpler to use, and the controls are similar to those in Maya which aids me work faster.

i open and use various reference images for the musculature.
since this is my creation, i am being freer in interpreting the looks of the model.

ordinarily, i would create and follow a strict image plane

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 1:31pm On Dec 16, 2016
finished with tweaking in Mudbox.

whatever else i wanta add, i will do using maps.

i sent the model back to Maya as a new object, so i can create/transfer the normal map from it to the lower resolution version.

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 1:33pm On Dec 16, 2016
now that i have the base model, i will proceed with the other accessories and clothing.

i will work on the fly, drawing ideas from the Chaac model and modifying the elements as i see fit.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 1:48pm On Dec 16, 2016
i forgot to add, from the start before i start modeling i use the distance tool to specify the height of my character.

when working to real world scale, u generally get better results both when solving and when rendering.

this character is roughly 210cm roughly 6 foot 9 inches

Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Nobody: 3:16pm On Dec 16, 2016
OKX:
@fighal
i am using Maya for this project.

the model is set to be exported to Mudbox for more detailing.
if the model was going to get really close to the camera, i would opt for zbrush, but for this i chose Mudbox. i find it simpler to use, and the controls are similar to those in Maya which aids me work faster.

i open and use various reference images for the musculature.
since this is my creation, i am being freer in interpreting the looks of the model.

ordinarily, i would create and follow a strict image plane
Bro na u o... I no get money 2 buy Maya software and I don't tink my Laptop can handle it
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 4:48pm On Dec 16, 2016
chaii okx, na u b d man o. I can't biliv u r using d same Maya I have on my laptop to model that. weldone bro
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 5:11pm On Dec 16, 2016
please guys, since the mayas and blenders softwares have sculpting tools in them, why do we need mudbox or zbrush to sculpt our character? can't we make use of the sculpt tool in our software rather than other sculpting software....I'm getting confused
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 10:22pm On Dec 16, 2016
impressive work @okx,loving the details so far,funny enough i have maya 2015 on my pc but i find its work flow too stressful compared to blender.

@tirigbosa blender is not fully optimised for sculpting and as such is not ideal for high poly jobs.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 10:23pm On Dec 16, 2016
impressive work @okx,loving the details so far,funny enough i have maya 2015 on my pc but i find its work flow too stressful compared to blender.

@tirigbosa blender is not fully optimised for sculpting and as such is not ideal for high poly jobs not sure about maya thou.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:42pm On Dec 16, 2016
@fighal
You can try earlier versions of Maya, if you can find them. The later the version, the heavier the system specs required.

@trigbosa
I meddled with blender but it didn't quite suit me so I can't say much about it.
3d task Å•equirements are vast, so you rarely have a single software that excels at every task.

Sure you can do everything in Maya, but some other software have taken specific tasks and focused on them primarily, making them pretty good tools and most time simpler and more efficient to use. And the interaction with each other has improved vastly.

Mudbox for instance comes with the Autodesk Entertainment Creative Suite which also contains Maya and Motionbuilder, and you can send models across softwares easily and have any changes update instantly.

Mudbox offers several advanced modeling and sculpting features that would b a hassle in Maya to achieve. It even allows you model and sculpt in layers (similar to photoshop layers) and it feels natural to use.

I hop among d best software I know to achieve a specific task. It saves me time and improves the general output. Motionbuilder for instance gives you real-time playback when animating characters, something almost impossible to achieve smoothly in Maya for heavy scenes, without playblasting.

U get?
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by OKX(m): 10:48pm On Dec 16, 2016
@prince
True. Maya has a steep learning curve, but if you manage to hang in there long enough to scale it....the possibilities are immense.

Ofcourse it also depends primarily on what one wants to achieve.
Lots of developers are coming up with easy to use solutions for basic 3d tasks. I also love that blender is open source, and has a rapidly growing user community.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 11:53pm On Dec 16, 2016
@prince n okx, thanks....and weldone.
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by Princealex1(m): 12:01am On Dec 17, 2016
tiri gbosa for u @tirigbosa...gbosa!gbosa!....
Re: Character Design/Animation Challenge by tirigbosa: 6:51am On Dec 17, 2016
prince charles, i sight u.....mehn, u guys just dey intimidate me with your models. so I followed kazuna advice about following through a tutorial. I will start modelling my own Ogun next week too. I'm not using chaac o, I want to start with something simple...kratos (god of war). but I'm sure my first head modelling will look ugly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

[pdf] How To Use Adobe Photoshop Free Ebook / A Thread For Charcoal Portrait Artists / Graphic Designers How Long Do You Take To Complete A Project?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.