Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,147 members, 7,896,897 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 01:20 AM

The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You (1659 Views)

Nigeria Internet Users Hit 75,773,679 Million Today,view The Statistics / GEJ Vs. GMB: The Statistics / Check Out All The Statistics About Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by 0hsisi: 12:11am On Nov 13, 2009
Sorry 0sisi, you've lost your forum posting privileges.

Reason: Falsehood. 43% of PALESTINIAN muslims, not Nigerian.

Support for Suicide Bombings and Bin Laden Still High Among Some Muslims
Friday, September 11, 2009By Patrick Goodenough, International Editor

A new survey gauging Muslim attitudes indicates that backing for suicide bombings against civilians, while generally down from earlier years, remains significant in some Islamic countries – challenging the assertion that Muslims supporting terrorism constitute a “tiny minority.”

In the Pew Global Attitudes Project poll released on Thursday, 68 percent of Palestinian Muslim respondents said suicide bombings against civilians were justifiable “to defend Islam from its enemies.”
That view was shared by 43 percent of respondents in Nigeria
and 38 percent in Lebanon, where 51 percent of Shi’ites held the view compared to 25 percent of Sunnis.

Elsewhere, the proportion of Muslim respondents supporting suicide bombings against civilians was 15 percent in Egypt, 13 percent in Indonesia, 12 percent in Jordan, seven percent in Israel (Muslim Arab citizens), five percent in Pakistan and four percent in Turkey.
Of the eight countries polled, support for suicide bombings increased since last year in five of them.

On the other hand, this year’s results show a decline over the period since 2002.

Pakistan recorded the most striking drop: In 2004, 41 percent of respondents justified suicide terrorism, whereas the number recorded this year was five percent. Terrorism has surged in Pakistan since 2007, and this year alone, at least 750 people had been killed and 2,276 injured in 365 bombings inside Pakistan as of the end of August, according to figures compiled by the South Asia Terrorism Portal in New Delhi.

The Pew survey also found although majorities in Nigeria (54 percent) and the Palestinian territories (52 percent) expressed “confidence in the al Qaeda leader [Osama bin Laden] to do the right thing regarding world affairs.”

In the other countries surveyed, the Saudi terrorist enjoyed the backing of 28 percent of respondents in Jordan, 25 percent in Indonesia, 23 percent in Egypt, 18 percent in Pakistan, 16 percent in Israel, four percent in Lebanon and two percent in Turkey.

The biggest drop in support for bin Laden was measured in Indonesia (down 34 points since 2003), Jordan (down 28 points) and Pakistan (down 28 points). The trend in Nigeria was in the opposite direction – up 10 points since 2003.

‘Tiny minority’

The poll comes amid reports that the New York Police Department – after taking flak from Muslim organizations – has inserted into a key report on terrorism a “statement of clarification,” saying among other things that “a tiny minority of Muslims … subscribe to al-Qaeda’s ideology of war and terror.”

The two-page statement has been added to a report first drawn up by two NYPD intelligence analysts in 2007 and reportedly used by government agencies around the U.S. The report is entitled “Radicalization in the West: The Homegrown Threat.”

The report examines the jihadist ideology, inspiration provided by al-Qaeda, and the process of radicalization, including political, social, economic and personal factors that can act as catalysts. It also highlights the role of the Internet in disseminating the jihadist ideology.

When the report first came out, it caused a stir among Islamic organizations. In response, some came together to form the Muslim American Civil Liberties Coalition (MACLC), which late last year released a critique.

In it, MACLC said the NYPD report “presents a distorted and misleading depiction of Islam and its adherents,” calls their loyalties and motivations into question, and “erroneously associates religious precepts with violence and terror.”

It contested the NYPD’s argument that the threat of “Islamic-based radicalism” was growing, calling it unsubstantiated and speculative.

To back up that position, MACLC cited a 2008 Gallup Center for Muslim Studies survey which found that across 10 Muslim-majority nations, the radicalized group – those saying 9/11 was “completely justified” and voicing an unfavorable opinion of the U.S. – comprised “about seven percent of the total population.” (Seven percent of 1.3 billion, the estimated number of the world’s Muslims, is 91 million).

The “statement of clarification” now inserted by the NYPD points out that the report focuses on terrorism in the West, inspired by and linked to al-Qaeda.

“The twisted ideology that underpins this specific type of terrorism claims its
legitimacy from an extremist misinterpretation of Islam. As a consequence, this particular type of terrorist ideology has historically found most of its supporters to be Muslim.

“Nevertheless, NYPD understands that it is a tiny minority of Muslims who
subscribe to al-Qaeda’s ideology of war and terror and that the NYPD’s focus on al-Qaeda inspired terrorism should not be mistaken for any implicit or explicit justification for racial, religious or ethnic profiling.”

In a letter to NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly this week, MACLC welcomed the appearance of the “statement of clarification” but said the police department needs to do more to publicize the move, which it said had apparently been made “without any public announcement.”

It also argued that the report itself remained unchanged, and said it regretted that the statement of clarification “was relegated to an insert within the report, rather than being implemented throughout the text itself.”

MACLC raised several other unresolved concerns, saying the report “should more clearly state that there is no per se link between Islam and terrorism and that the report’s focus on al-Qaeda should not be read to suggest such a link.”
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by 0hsisi: 12:13am On Nov 13, 2009
why is the moderator persecuting me for speaking the truth?
who is the liar?
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by 0hsisi: 12:15am On Nov 13, 2009
68 percent of Palestinian Muslim respondents said suicide bombings against civilians were justifiable “to defend Islam from its enemies.”
That view was shared by [size=24pt]43 percent of respondents in Nigeria [/size] and 38 percent in Lebanon, where 51 percent of Shi’ites held the view compared to 25 percent of Sunnis.

I demand an apology! grin
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by AndreUweh(m): 12:20am On Nov 13, 2009
Mod, biko, swallow pride and apologise.
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by 0hsisi: 12:21am On Nov 13, 2009
My brother see korokoro victimization all because of Islam.
and this is just one of many
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by 0hsisi: 12:28am On Nov 13, 2009
Mukinatu and Seun

Please come here and apologise
reinstate my username
restore my thread titled [b]43% of Nigerian Muslims support suicide bombings[/b]since the evidence is very clear as I stated in my thread
Don't use the forum to lie and persecute those who sound an alarm
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by bawomolo(m): 12:33am On Nov 13, 2009
0hsisi:

Mukinatu and Seun

Please come here and apologise
reinstate my username
restore my thread titled [b]43% of Nigerian Muslims support suicide bombings[/b]since the evidence is very clear as I stated in my thread
Don't use the forum to lie and persecute those who sound an alarm

I agree. You shouldn't have been banned. some mod caught feelings.
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by OgidiBoy(m): 12:35am On Nov 13, 2009
If Osisi don't get her posting privileges back, I and about 5,000 members of NL will go on strike effective IMMEDIATELY angry angry angry >:
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by chika98: 12:35am On Nov 13, 2009
This sounds like a conspiracy theory to me
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by DisGuy: 12:36am On Nov 13, 2009
Pew Global Attitudes Project poll

never heard of them! oya all of you that participated in this poll show up,

poll in nigeria? hmm lets see they went to kano?

normal polls show the number of people actually involved with surveys

mod please move to religion section!
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by 0hsisi: 12:47am On Nov 13, 2009
Other persecutions by the moderator

Sorry babyosisi, you've lost your forum posting privileges.

Reason: this girl; when did I unban you?
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by 0hsisi: 12:48am On Nov 13, 2009
This thread will disappear soon,at least some of you know how childish your able moderators are
I said it tongue
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by MrCrackles(m): 12:49am On Nov 13, 2009
0hsisi:

shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by AloyEmeka6: 12:50am On Nov 13, 2009
Abuzola must be part of the 43%.
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by 0hsisi: 12:50am On Nov 13, 2009
MrCrackles:

shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin

If I hadn't forgotten my other passwords I would have posted the reasons here

You go laff taya
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by Nobody: 12:52am On Nov 13, 2009
@poster
what is your point,,you are not making sense
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by 0hsisi: 1:12am On Nov 13, 2009
~Bluetooth:

@poster
what is your point,,you are not making sense

You may get it after 5 ramadans
Other viewers get it wink
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by Nobody: 1:32am On Nov 13, 2009
Who is doubting the statistics in the first place?
Was it not Nigerians who were celebrating the 9/11 attack while their Iranian counterparts were mourning the same event?
Was it not Nigerians who slaughtered their brothers in hundreds when a white Dutch sketched a cartoon they never saw, while their counterparts in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia only had a peaceful demonstration?

Oh please. angry
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by chic2pimp(m): 1:37am On Nov 13, 2009
OgidiBoy:

If Osisi don't get her posting privileges back, I and about 5,000 members of NL will go on strike effective IMMEDIATELY angry angry angry >:
You & who? undecided Abegii jor grin cheesy

0hsisi:

I demand an apology! grin
You got wait tire grin

0hsisi:

[color=#990000]

In the Pew Global Attitudes Project poll released on Thursday, 68 percent of Palestinian Muslim respondents said suicide bombings against civilians were justifiable “to defend Islam from its enemies.”
That view was shared by 43 percent of respondents in Nigeria
and 38 percent in Lebanon, where 51 percent of Shi’ites held the view compared to 25 percent of Sunnis.

The Pew survey also found although majorities in Nigeria (54 percent) and the Palestinian territories (52 percent) expressed “confidence in the al Qaeda leader [Osama bin Laden] to do the right thing regarding world affairs.”

In the other countries surveyed, the Saudi terrorist enjoyed the backing of 28 percent of respondents in Jordan, 25 percent in Indonesia, 23 percent in Egypt, 18 percent in Pakistan, 16 percent in Israel, four percent in Lebanon and two percent in Turkey.

The biggest drop in support for bin Laden was measured in Indonesia (down 34 points since 2003), Jordan (down 28 points) and Pakistan (down 28 points). The trend in Nigeria was in the opposite direction – up 10 points since 2003.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked E woooooooooooo chinekeeeeeeeeee So una wan Naija to an Islamic Republic abi? undecided. Shey the Majority of Middle eastern countries wey be Islamic territories no satisfy una ? undecided
Abeg if naija turn tire una, you are free to pack ya bags and make to Iraq,Iran,pakistan or Afghanistan
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by bawomolo(m): 1:38am On Nov 13, 2009
0hsisi:

lmao, osisi is publicly enemy number one

mukinatu, oyb and mustay, seun and co. ejo let this woman free grin
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by chiogo(f): 1:41am On Nov 13, 2009
chic2pimp:

You & who? undecided Abegii jor grin cheesy
You got wait tire grin
 shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked E woooooooooooo chinekeeeeeeeeee So una wan Naija to an Islamic Republic abi? undecided. Shey the Majority of Middle eastern countries wey be Islamic territories no satisfy una ? undecided
Abeg if naija turn tire una, you are free to pack ya bags and make to Iraq,Iran,pakistan or Afghanistan
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by sjeezy8: 1:51am On Nov 13, 2009
Hmmm some people and their FEAR of islam. lol Folks get mad when people act like tribalist but do the same against muslims. Nigerians are full of Clowns grin. If you fear muslims go say something publicly, instead of being the internet forum champion and posting lame shit.
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by Nobody: 2:07am On Nov 13, 2009
sjeezy8:

Hmmm some people and their FEAR of islam. lol Folks get mad when people act like tribalist but do the same against muslims.  Nigerians are full of Clowns grin. If you fear muslims go say something publicly, instead of being the internet forum champion and posting lame shit.

Fear Islam ke?
Funny how you think everyone lives his/her entire life on the Internet. Meet me at Osha head bridge and I will echo it as usual that most Nigerian muslims favor suicide bombing, hence blood thirsty and deadly.

If you and your family have not gone through what my family, relatives and friends have gone through in the hands of some Hausa muslims, then you have no moral standing to question my disdain for jihadists. (not Islam).

Personally, I feel more at home with Pakistani and Arabian muslims than I do with my Nigerian muslims.
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by chic2pimp(m): 2:11am On Nov 13, 2009
chiogo:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Omo e don tire me ooo grin. Abi shey u wan leave in a country where beheading is the norm? undecided

sjeezy8:

Hmmm some people and their FEAR of islam. lol Folks get mad when people act like tribalist but do the same against muslims. Nigerians are full of Clowns grin. If you fear muslims go say something publicly, instead of being the internet forum champion and posting lame shit.
Nah i'll rather call it the fear of the sharia law  wink.

If you think naija is a hell hole right now, think again cuz when she changes her name to 'The Islamic Republic Of Nigeria', y'all would wish naija never changed.
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by Beaf: 2:20am On Nov 13, 2009
0hsisi:

Jesu!
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by agabaI23(m): 2:26am On Nov 13, 2009
nuzo:

Fear Islam ke?
Funny how you think everyone lives his/her entire life on the Internet. Meet me at Osha head bridge and I will echo it as usual that most Nigerian muslims favor suicide bombing, hence blood thirsty and deadly.

If you and your family have not gone through what my family, relatives and friends have gone through in the hands of some Hausa muslims, then you have no moral standing to question my disdain for jihadists. (not Islam).

Personally, I feel more at home with Pakistani and Arabian muslims than I do with my Nigerian muslims.

I was attracted by your choice of venue. Why not Yankwura market kano? grin Na person we fire hurt de fear ashes.
Re: The Statistics Nairaland Wants Hidden From You by Seun(m): 2:30am On Nov 13, 2009
My bad.

(1)

Turai Begs Senators, Don’t Disgrace Yar’adua Out Of Office’ / Oil And Gas Local Content Bill Details / N800m Stolen At Thisday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.