Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,612 members, 7,888,955 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 07:11 PM

What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? (1038 Views)

I Hope This Doesn't Count As Cheating / Things Ladies Do When They Are Cheating In Relationship / Man Catches His Wife Cheating In Hotel, Disgraces & Batters Her Publicly (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by raphy(m): 2:04pm On Dec 12, 2016
When people find out about infidelity, they often make all kinds of assumptions about how and why people have affairs. The assumptions, however, are probably wrong. For example, would you believe it if I told you that most of time affairs happens to people who aren’t looking for it?

We live in a hush-hush culture – when it comes to infidelity, there’s a lot of BS out there – and most of what you think is true just isn't. Here are the nine most common misconceptions about infidelity, and the real take on what you need to know.

1. Once An Affair Is Out In The Open, A Couple Can Never Be Happy Again
Affairs happen, and people do recover – you hardly ever hear success stories because no one's talking. Couples can learn to successfully rebuild their relationships, and many of my patients say their bonds are even stronger once they’ve worked things through.

Distinguishing infidelity fact from fiction can help you and your partner gain a better understanding of how an affair happens, what to expect if one does and what you can do to prevent infidelity. Truth is a powerful tool that can help you recover.

2. Infidelity Is Never About Sex; It's About Other Marital Issues
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes extramarital "sex" is just about sex. For sure, some affairs are about unmet emotional needs, but for other people – not the majority – an affair is just about going out and getting laid.

3. You Can't Call It Cheating If Sex Wasn't Involved
Many affairs happen without any sex at all. Is staying up half the night secretly texting an old classmate about your most intimate thoughts being unfaithful? The person doing it may not see it as cheating, but you can bet your partner sees it this way. When you give an emotional part of yourself to someone with whom you could potentially cheat one day, it's cheating.

4. Affairs Are All About Sexual Attraction
Sure, some affairs are only about the sex, but lots of the time, affairs happen because of an emotional connection. Sometimes, hanging out together and sharing feelings is as far as the affair ever goes, although it’s true that the sense of emotional closeness often leads to sex.

5. Affairs Happen Because Of Problems In The Marriage
Here's the truth: almost every marriage has problems. Affairs don't happen because something’s wrong with the marriage; they happen, in part, because couples don't know how to work together to solve the issues they have. Having problems in your relationship doesn't justify cheating.

6. Once A Cheater, Always A Cheater
Yes, there are some real scumbags out there, but not everyone who cheats is evil incarnate. Many affairs are a one-and-done thing. What happens after the affair can set a marriage on a course for stability, or blow it out of the water. After ending the affair, for healing to take place, the cheater has to tell the whole truth about the affair. Knowing the truth is the first step toward healing.

7. After An Affair, Kiss Your Marriage Goodbye
Not so quick! Over half of marriages survive infidelity. Although the relationship may break up from other issues in the future, when couples are willing to work together, they're surprised to find they can rebuild the trust. The most common reasons for marriage dissolution, at 53 to 55%, is “growing apart” and not being able to talk to each other.

8. Affairs Happen With People Much Younger Or More Attractive
OK, sometimes the 60-something corporate CEO might seek out younger playmates, but, typically, paramours are no younger, richer or more attractive than spouses – they're just someone new.

9. Affairs Happen Because Guys Are On The Prowl
No – most of time, an affair happens to people who aren’t looking for it. This is particularly true in cases in which a partner has only cheated with one person. Affairs often begin as feeling really comfortable with someone, like the person in the cubicle next to you at work. That cosiness is followed by sharing intimate secrets, which can then shift into an emotional connection that's consummated with a full-blown tryst.

feel free to add yours

am still celebrating my 10years on nairaland.. grin grin grin
Re: What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by naijaboiy: 2:10pm On Dec 12, 2016
Observing
Re: What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by raphy(m): 2:11pm On Dec 12, 2016
help me to put it in fp to save a marriage thanks guys. grin grin
Re: What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Dec 12, 2016
emotional cheating is cheating everything else is fair game angry
Re: What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by Martinola(m): 2:22pm On Dec 12, 2016
i av ntn to say since i dnt knw wat a relationship is...Olosho all d way
Re: What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Dec 12, 2016
Cheating is when you do stuffs with someone else. Stuffs meant to be done with your companion. It's not just sex

1 Like

Re: What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by shirley26(f): 3:54pm On Dec 12, 2016
Floxyluv:
Cheating is when you do stuffs with someone else. Stuffs meant to be done with your companion. It's not just sex

Exactly!
Re: What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by doctorofgirls(m): 2:14pm On Dec 14, 2016
shirley26:

Exactly!
How u
Re: What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by EmperorKross(m): 2:16pm On Dec 14, 2016
Sex no be cheating na.
Re: What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Dec 14, 2016
Floxyluv:

Can you give us an example
Re: What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by dntaskme(m): 4:00pm On Dec 14, 2016
Floxyluv Cheating is when you do stuffs with someone else. Stuffs meant to be done with your companion. It's not just sex

Wat exactly do u mean? Wat den should we call it wen u girls call/chat/text oda guy u aren't dating?
Re: What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 14, 2016
dntaskme:

Wat exactly do u mean? Wat den should we call it wen u girls call/chat/text oda guy u aren't dating?

I wasn't gender specific in my statement, am sure you noticed where i stated thus 'stuffs meant to be done with your companion' .
Re: What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by raphy(m): 11:21pm On Dec 21, 2016
Ok you guys try o.
Doing stuff not meant to do with some one that's not your wife but you have a feeling for.and you call it cheating.
Re: What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by Divay22(f): 11:46pm On Dec 21, 2016
Is cheating a choice or we unconsciously do it, then later get to realize
Re: What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by Jaynom(m): 11:57pm On Dec 21, 2016
Divay22:
Is cheating a choice or we unconsciously do it, then later get to realize
My dear cheating is a conscious experience. It could be mental, physical and emotional. Matter of fact any act you wouldn't want your partner to know about is cheating. It could be as simple as a text message
Re: What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by Divay22(f): 12:05am On Dec 22, 2016
Jaynom:

My dear cheating is a conscious experience. It could be mental, physical and emotional. Matter of fact any act you wouldn't want your partner to know about is cheating. It could be as simple as a text message
So you mean it's a choice
Re: What Counts As Cheating In A Relationship? by schumastic(m): 8:05am On Dec 22, 2016
IN THIS LIFE, EVERYTHING BOILS DOWN TO ONE THING "CHOICE", YOU CAN CHOOSE TO CHEAT OR CHOOSE NOT TO BUT AT THE END OF EACH FRIENDSHIP AND AFFAIRS YOU MADE A CHOICE.

SO DON'T BLAME IT ON THAT GUY THAT WOOED YOU WITH MATERIAL THINGS, AFFECTION OR ATTENTION, THE GIRL THAT SEDUCED YOU OR YOUR PARTNER FOR FAILING TO MEET UP TO YOUR NEEDS CUS DESPITE ALL OF THIS YOU WILL STILL ASK YOURSELF ONE QUESTION.

SHOULD I CHEAT ON HIM OR HER?..THE CHOICE IS YOURS TO MAKE

(1) (Reply)

All Because He Had A Small Manhood- True Life Story / Should Women Go To Jail For False Rape Accusations? / Valentine! Valentine!! Valentine!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.