Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,199 members, 7,880,741 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 05:13 AM

Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . (5189 Views)

Now That Baba Falae Has Been Found, Can The Igbos Stop Wailing? / The Many Sins Of Buhari Against The Yourbas / An Igbo LETTER To All The Yourbas And Hausa (muslims Who Want GEJ To Go In 2015. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by NegroNtns(m): 1:37am On Nov 18, 2009
The British.

Oh yeah, I forgot! The British did. . . they woke Lord Lugard from his grave to lead their mutiny. Thanks for aiding my memory. grin
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Nchara: 1:37am On Nov 18, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

What a speculation! Of course rivals desire for their opponents to be weak and appealing. I dont like when I face a rival with strong personality like myself. . .thats not a mystery that Awo was hated in the East. He is a strong leader for the rival. Zik is loved in the West because he is a weak leader for the rival. Nonetheless, You did not address the political conscience. . I want you to do that in your response. Here it is again. . .

On what basis is Zik weak to the rival? Somebody who won an election right under the rival's nose?
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by ezeagu(m): 1:38am On Nov 18, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

What a speculation!  Of course rivals desire for their opponents to be weak and appealing.  I dont like when I face a rival with strong personality like myself. . .thats not a mystery that Awo was hated in the East.  He is a strong leader for the rival.  Zik is loved in the West because he is a weak leader for the rival.  Nonetheless, You did not address the political conscience. . I want you to do that in your response.  Here it is again. . .

What conclusion are you trying to get at? Let me rephrase if that's not clear, what is the point of your argument? What 'truth' are you trying to prove?

Maybe then others can understand you better.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Remii(m): 1:39am On Nov 18, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Oh yeah, I forgot! The British did. . . they woke Lord Lugard from his grave to lead their mutiny. Thanks for aiding my memory. grin

grin grin grin
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by ezeagu(m): 1:40am On Nov 18, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Oh yeah, I forgot!  The British did. . . they woke Lord Lugard from his grave to lead their mutiny.  Thanks for aiding my memory.  grin

I thought you knew about the British influence in the war?
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by ezeagu(m): 1:41am On Nov 18, 2009
Remii:

grin grin grin

I guess this is where the cliché tribal calvary comes up in this thread?
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by SEFAGO(m): 1:41am On Nov 18, 2009
So how am I expected to love somebody who defended his people to my own detriment? Little wonder then that Awo has no respect outside Yorubaland

I dont think anyone is here trying to make you love Awo. I for one dont love any nigerian leader- i believe we should learn from their mistakes, but not to monumentalize them. And I think Awo's action was in line with the politics of that time. Yoruba people are like gold-diggers, if you do not give money to a golddigger (i.e if awolowo did not in anyways take steps to defend his people) then the golddigger would leave his/her lover in the cold. Awolowo was probably not tribalistic- ambitious yes- but who isn't?

I think we should also avoid a linear and simplistic perspective in debate- consider the dynamics of a culture, b4 placing criticism.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by SEFAGO(m): 1:44am On Nov 18, 2009
yes, the british aided and abetted the nigerian FG during the civil war. I can guess their reasons, but does anyone have real data exactly why?
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by WilyWily: 1:45am On Nov 18, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

. . .you use Yoruba to inject your ego and Southerners to elicit empathy.  In January 1966, which entity went on rampage with shortsightedness into the future?
Ask Major Adewale Ademoyega, he is more qualified than me to answer you.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by ezeagu(m): 1:47am On Nov 18, 2009
SEFAGO:

yes, the british aided and abetted the nigerian FG during the civil war. I can guess their reasons, but does anyone have real data exactly why?

"The sole immediate British interest is to bring the [Nigerian] economy back to a condition in which our substantial trade and investment can be further developed."

The Independent
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by SEFAGO(m): 1:52am On Nov 18, 2009
Good, so you have now identified one of the main offenders- take them to court. The nigerian government would have been unable to win the war without the help of the Brits, an dthey supplied the guns used to shoot your brothers. See how easy it is to resolve issues
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by ezeagu(m): 1:52am On Nov 18, 2009
"Biafra's independence was recognized by Tanzania, Zambia, Gabon, and the Ivory Coast, but it was compromised in the eyes of most African states by the approval of South Africa, Southern Rhodesia, and Portugal. Britain extended diplomatic support and limited military assistance to the federal government. The Soviet Union became an important source of military equipment for Nigeria. Modern Soviet-built warplanes, flown by Egyptian and British pilots, interdicted supply flights and inflicted heavy casualties during raids on Biafran urban centers. In line with its policy of noninvolvement, the United States prohibited the sale of military goods to either side while continuing to recognize the FMG."

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/biafra.htm
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Remii(m): 1:53am On Nov 18, 2009
ezeagu:

I guess this is where the cliché tribal calvary comes up in this thread?

that line just struck my laughing sense, lo.

Most historians agree that the British were biased towards the Hausa/Fulani due to the help they got from their leaders in the form of indirect rule in ccolonial era. As a matter of fact they advised them to vie for the Prime Minister post while the Ibos got the toothless Presidency. They even advised them against seccession after the first coup when they were shouting "araba" "araba" in the North. But CAN WE PUT ALL THAT BEHIND US AND MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by ezeagu(m): 1:56am On Nov 18, 2009
Remii:

But CAN WE PUT ALL THAT BEHIND US AND MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, this marks Part. 2 of the thread.

The reason why no one can move on and the reason why everyone wants to claw out the eyes of whoever says they should "move on" is because nothing has been done to address these issues once and for all so they can "move on".
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by NegroNtns(m): 1:57am On Nov 18, 2009
On what basis is Zik weak to the rival? Somebody who won an election right under the rival's nose?

The victory was his reward for supporting the colonialists against what they arrogantly called "Awolowo's impudence".  A consolation prize for joining the coalition against Awo.  

Have you ever wondered why the North would win an election that was heavily tipped against their customs and demography?  At the time of election the West had scored multiple breakthroughs in social developments -

Through the political activism of Mrs Tinubu and later of Mrs Ransome Kuti (Fela's mom), the disenfranchisement of Yoruba women in politics had brought them the right to vote and seek electoral post.  This was a time when Northern women, by custom, . . .was taboo for them to be seen outside unless in company of their husband.  

TV and Radio broadcasting was everywhere in Yorubaland. . .

Every major Yoruba city had one or more newspaper publication. . .

Ibadan was the single most populous sub-saharan African city.

If you add all these together. . . it is questionable and deserved a review that Awolowo did not in fact win the election.  The coverage was on his side. . .the population and demography was onhis side . . . the political awareness and activism for both genders were playing in his favor.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by NegroNtns(m): 2:01am On Nov 18, 2009
Ask Major Adewale Ademoyega, he is more qualified than me to answer you.

I did not expect more. . . that response is predictable! What response do you have for Azikiwe's conscience (. . .or lack of)?
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by ezeagu(m): 2:02am On Nov 18, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

The victory was his reward for supporting the colonialists against what they arrogantly called "Awolowo's impudence".  A consolation prize for joining the coalition against Awo.  

Have you ever wondered why the North would win an election that was heavily tipped against their customs and demography?  At the time of election the West had scored multiple breakthroughs in social developments -

Through the political activism of Mrs Tinubu and later of Mrs Ransome Kuti (Fela's mom), the disenfranchisement of Yoruba women in politics had brought them the right to vote and seek electoral post.  This was a time when Northern women, by custom, . . .was taboo for them to be seen outside unless in company of their husband.  

TV and Radio broadcasting was everywhere in Yorubaland. . .

Every major Yoruba city had one or more newspaper publication. . .

Ibadan was the single most populous sub-saharan African city.

It never takes long for this list of accomplishments to show up on these threads.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by ezeagu(m): 2:03am On Nov 18, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

I did not expect more. . . that response is predictable! What response do you have for Azikiwe's conscience (. . .or lack of)?

I don't know if I should ask again but what is the purpose of this question?
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by NegroNtns(m): 2:05am On Nov 18, 2009
The sole immediate British interest is to bring the [Nigerian] economy back to a condition in which our substantial trade and investment can be further developed."

Dude, you gonna make me throw you under the fuck_ing bus with your retard responses.  

Why was it not their remote interest from about 1860 till 1960 . . . 100 years of occupation?   Why did it suddenly dawn on them that Nigeria should be developed?  . . .and they sold you that Fanta and Gala, you grinned and said thank you Sir for helping my nation develop!  Stop that nonsense!
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by ezeagu(m): 2:07am On Nov 18, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Dude, you gonna make me throw you under the fuck_ing bus with your retard responses.  

Why was it not their remote interest from about 1860 till 1960 . . . 100 years of occupation?   Why did it suddenly dawn on them that Nigeria should be developed?  . . .and they sold you that Fanta and Gala, you grinned and said thank you Sir for helping my nation develop!  Stop that nonsense!

Could you write that again, because I have no idea of what you are saying in what you just wrote.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by NegroNtns(m): 2:08am On Nov 18, 2009
It never takes long for this list of accomplishments to show up on these threads.

You never question the conscience of your political and military leaders. . . always quick to probe the motive of the rivals'.  The more you probe the longer the list gets.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by ezeagu(m): 2:10am On Nov 18, 2009
Give me a second to backtrack and see how I started on this thread. Hmm.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by NegroNtns(m): 2:10am On Nov 18, 2009
I don't know if I should ask again but what is the purpose of this question?

lol. . . you have jumped at every question so far with no need for clarity. . . until this question came up.  Suddenly you have amnesia.  

Negro throws Eze under the train.   grin
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by ezeagu(m): 2:13am On Nov 18, 2009
Alright, yes, I think I was responding the the question of who started the war in 1966? Right?

Negro_Ntns:

lol. . . you have jumped at every question so far with no need for clarity. . . until this question came up.  Suddenly you have amnesia.  

Negro throws Eze under the train.   grin

I thought that question was to someone else AKA WillyWilly no?
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by NegroNtns(m): 2:15am On Nov 18, 2009
what a fuck_ery! sad
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Abagworo(m): 2:17am On Nov 18, 2009
today i stepped out of my office at trans-amadi to buy recharge card and sighted two truck drivers of a company quarelling.one was igbo and the other yoruba.imagine what they had to say.

yorubaman:
''you think say you get sense? i go deal with you as awolowo deal with una!''

igboman:
''shoo! if you be awolowo me i be ojukwu!"

i remembered nairaland and laughed.what i noted was that the men are above 45 and therefore were children of the civil war era.i find it sad to say that the unity of southern nigeria lies in the hands of people born mostly after 1975.the war generations are actually the last tribalistic generation.they are the ones that continue digging up healed wounds.after their death shall we unite.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by ezeagu(m): 2:18am On Nov 18, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

what a fuck_ery!   sad

Here are 2 quotes for you anyway:

"A politician, scholar, poet and journalist, Dr. Azikiwe was widely known as "Zik of Africa." He helped to end the Biafran civil war that submerged his Ibo people into mass suffering."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n3_v90/ai_18351478/

"In the conflict over Biafra (1967–70), Azikiwe first backed his fellow Igbo, traveling extensively in 1968 to win recognition of Biafra and help from other African countries. In 1969, however, realizing the hopelessness of the war, he threw his support to the federal government. When Olusegun Obasanjo turned the government over to civilian elections in 1979, Azikiwe ran unsuccessfully for president as a candidate of a newly formed Nigerian People’s Party and retired from politics."

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/46875/Nnamdi-Azikiwe
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by ezeagu(m): 2:21am On Nov 18, 2009
Abagworo:

the war generations are the actually the last tribalistic generation.they are the ones that continue digging up healed wounds.after their death shall we unite.

Do you honestly Believe that? Over half of nairaland is under 25!
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by bawomolo(m): 2:23am On Nov 18, 2009
Abagworo:

today i stepped out of my office at trans-amadi to buy recharge card and sighted two truck drivers of a company quarelling.one was igbo and the other yoruba.imagine what they had to say.

yorubaman:

igboman:

i remembered nairaland and laughed.what i noted was that the men are above 45 and therefore were children of the civil war era.i find it sad to say that the unity of southern nigeria lies in the hands of people born mostly after 1975.the war generations are actually the last tribalistic generation.they are the ones that continue digging up healed wounds.after their death shall we unite.

word
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Abagworo(m): 2:24am On Nov 18, 2009
ezeagu:

yes and act based on what uncle sam said.uncle sam will however act on what he experienced.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Remii(m): 2:29am On Nov 18, 2009
ezeagu:

That is cause of worry, people who did not know what actually happend and why it happened are allowing what they could not control affect what they can control it is really sad.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by SEFAGO(m): 2:29am On Nov 18, 2009
yorubaman:

igboman:

Hahaha

i remembered nairaland and laughed.what i noted was that the men are above 45 and therefore were children of the civil war era.i find it sad to say that the unity of southern nigeria lies in the hands of people born mostly after 1975.the war generations are the actually the last tribalistic generation.they are the ones that continue digging up healed wounds.after their death shall we unite.

I agree with you. Its sort of a disconnect when in my real life  I have friends who are igbo and niger delta and from my conversations none have displayed as much acrimony as the people on NL. I agree I am young and naive, but I have never considered one tribe more evil or better than the other since I have met a mix of the nicest people from one tribe. Infact I feel bad sometimes engaging in fights on nairaland, that involve insulting igbo people because of some minute number of tribalistic igbo people, considering the fact that I have been helped a lot by igbo people when so-called tribesmen as well as have friends who are igbo, calabar and yoruba.

However, as someone said earlier, NL is a microcosm of nigeria- for example, I noticed that my parents have igbo friends a lot, and anytime their friend does anything bad to them to ascribe it to him being igbo grin. I am a very intelligent person  grin, so I know this is not the case. So I have to concede with ezeagu that some deep wounds have been cut deep into the war generation. After what the igbo people perceived as a great betrayal from their yorubas and the perceived hostilities that yoruba people felt from the igbo- i feel most came out of the war unable to trust one another ever again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Police Seal Off Ogun State Governor’s Office, Assembly ! / Government Blames Boko Haram Sect For Blood Shortage In Hospitals / Stun Guns For Our Police Instead Of Guns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.