Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,203 members, 7,880,742 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 05:21 AM

Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . (5190 Views)

Now That Baba Falae Has Been Found, Can The Igbos Stop Wailing? / The Many Sins Of Buhari Against The Yourbas / An Igbo LETTER To All The Yourbas And Hausa (muslims Who Want GEJ To Go In 2015. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by SEFAGO(m): 2:31am On Nov 18, 2009
Do you honestly Believe that? Over half of nairaland is under 25!

but they are in the love (sex) section/entertainment section- what really concerns the average nigerian male/female with tribal sentiments as displayed in the politics section, except maybe a select few
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by becomrich15: 3:45am On Nov 18, 2009
When i say, i am going to be president, some people think, i am joking. I know nigeria politics very well that nothing can stop me been president. I would win every state in igboland. I would not loss 1 state.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by bawomolo(m): 4:40am On Nov 18, 2009
becomrich,:

When i say, i am going to be president, some people think, i am joking. I know nigeria politics very well that nothing can stop me been president. I would win every state in igboland. I would not loss 1 state.

Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Nobody: 7:13am On Nov 18, 2009
sadly, too many parents are bent on living biafra or whatver through their children. only the generations that were there know what actually happened going forward, as we can see on nairaland, are lopsided accounts designed to absolve the narrator of ny blae for the biafra war

the confederates and the united kingdom have let it go. there was a war. biafra lost. deal with it.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by russellino: 9:00am On Nov 18, 2009
Quote from: Negro_Ntns on Today at 01:37:05 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot! The British did. . . they woke Lord Lugard from his grave to lead their mutiny. Thanks for aiding my memory.

@NEGRO_NTNS

Till we can purge ourselves of entrenched prejudice there WILL NEVER be unity. What the f, k does ''their mutiny'' mean for goodness sake. Nigerians (except men like the great Soyinka) refer to the 1966 mutiny by the five majors as an Igbo coup and that has created an ignorant mindset that filters down from one generation to the next. Nzeogwu never held a referendum of igbos before he led the majors and many northern soldiers under him to decimate the leaders of the first republic. Bigotry and hatred seems to prevent this very simple fact from being understood.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by presido1: 10:08am On Nov 18, 2009
@ poster I don't think its possible. Its just like saying "Nigeria gonna have one month of uninterrupted power supply".
The rivalry and the memories of the war will always bring out the bashing spirit.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Nobody: 11:07am On Nov 18, 2009
I was born in the 70s and to be honest I don't care either way about the war. Y'all need to stop ingesting the regurgitations of the war generation. As for carpet crossing and tribal politics, I think some of us need to back and relearn our history. Zik was the first to introduce tribal politics in 1938.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by asha80(m): 11:15am On Nov 18, 2009
naijababe:

I was born in the 70s and to be honest I don't care either way about the war. Y'all need to stop ingesting the regurgitations of the war generation. As for carpet crossing and tribal politics, I think some of us need to back and relearn our history. Zik was the first to introduce tribal politics in 1938.

Proof?
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 18, 2009
Proof?
In 1934, some elite Nigerians, Dr. Kofo Abayomi, H.O. Daniel, Ernest Ikoli, Samuel Musanya, (later Oba), J.C Vaughan, among others, formed the Lagos Youth Movement, later Nigerian Youth Movement, NYM, (1936) and by 1938, it was so popular that it was beating Herbert McCaulay’s NNDP to second position in the Council elections of the Lagos ownship and the Nigerian legislative Council. Came February 1941, when its member, Dr. Abayomi, had to resign for further studies abroad. This created an opening for a fresh election in which Ikoli and Akinsanya expressed interest to become the flag bearer of the Movement. Obafemi Awolowo’s group solidly supported Ikoli, an Ijaw; while Azikwe’s gave its backing to Akinsanya, an Ijebu Yoruba like Awolowo. Not much of tribal politics in those good old days even as the Movement was largely Yoruba dominated. But not when Ikoli won the flag. Zik and Akinsanya charged that they lost because their candidate was Ijebu not minding that so was also Awolowo. They walked out along with some Igbo members. According to G.O. Olusanya, non-Igbo members became suspicious. "They reasoned that if the Igbos continued the policy of closing ranks on issues while the others remained divided, it was only a question of time before the Igbo dominated the rest." (Groundwork of Nigerian History - Obaro Ikime). "Azikwe’s defection virtually destroyed the multi-tribal character of the Movement" (Nigerian Political Parties- R. L Sklar) .
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by metalgong5(m): 1:00pm On Nov 18, 2009
@poster

Hell No!! . . .The Yorubas are like the green Mamba that could strike at anytime . . . . Let the tribalism continue, since Awolowo and his fellow Yorubas were the first to ascend tribalism in Nigeria to its apogee.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by naijaking1: 2:54pm On Nov 18, 2009
@naijababe
I was looking forward to seeing Zik support an Igbo man to prove he was tribalistic, but he supported a Yoruba man. In a situation where Awo supported an easterner and Zik supported a westerner, I really don't understand how you could interpret Zik's action as being tribalistic.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by chosen04(f): 3:36pm On Nov 18, 2009
naijaking1:

@naijababe
I was looking forward to seeing Zik support an Igbo man to prove he was tribalistic, but he supported a Yoruba man. In a situation where Awo supported an easterner and Zik supported a westerner, I really don't understand how you could interpret Zik's action as being tribalistic.

naijababe, just confirmed that she has nothing reason to say.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by abatakan1: 3:54pm On Nov 18, 2009
Amazing that the guy that proposes Wazobia to be compulsory (If you are Hausa/Igbo or Yoruba must be your choice at school and vice versa came from the north (where is this man? in all walks of life when someone speaks your language you are automatically accepted.The common enemy are the`BARAWO,OLE HELP ME FOR THE EQUIVALENT FOR IGBO!
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by chosen04(f): 4:49pm On Nov 18, 2009
naijaking1:

@naijababe

She just confirmed she has nothing reasonable to say.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 18, 2009
Did you read my post in its entirety or you stopped at Zik supported Akinsanya?
Awolowo’s group solidly supported Ikoli, an Ijaw; while Azikwe’s gave his backing to Akinsanya, an Ijebu Yoruba like Awolowo. Not much of tribal politics in those good old days even as the Movement was largely Yoruba dominated. But not when Ikoli won the flag. Zik and Akinsanya charged that they lost because their candidate was Ijebu not minding that so was also Awolowo They walked out along with some Igbo members
non-Igbo members became suspicious. "They reasoned that if the Igbos continued the policy of closing ranks on issues while the others remained divided, it was only a question of time before the Igbo dominated the rest
Azikwe’s defection virtually destroyed the multi-tribal character of the Movement" (Nigerian Political Parties- R. L Sklar) .
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by agabaI23(m): 7:00pm On Nov 18, 2009
naijababe,

I think the author you quoted was biased in his writing. Zik and Akinsanya left with some yoruba people as well but the Author chose to highlight the Igbo members. So a part of the movement left cutting across the tribes.
I think that there is still some kind of discrimination meted to the Ijebus of today by other Yorubas and it is possible the discrimination was already there then. Their claim may not have been wrong.

Telling us that Awo was from Ijebu is like telling me that OBJ is from the south. The hausa's chose OBJ because they thought he would do their bidding. That does not mean they would not discriminate against you when juicy posts arise. That you wine and dine with an almajeri will not hold back his knife during a riot.

We can still gloss over the language barrier which I still maintain is the main divide. Culture may be there but it is easily drowned by civilisation but language will always tell you, we are from different tribes.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by bawomolo(m): 7:07pm On Nov 18, 2009
I think that there is still some kind of discrimination meted to the Ijebus of today by other Yorubas and it is possible the discrimination was already there then. Their claim may not have been wrong.

Ijebu's are discriminated against by other Yoruba's? news to me.   Awo wouldn't have risen to such a prominent position in that case

agabaI23:

Telling us that Awo was from Ijebu is like telling me that OBJ is from the south. The hausa's chose OBJ because they thought he would do their bidding. That does not mean they would not discriminate against you when juicy posts arise. That you wine and dine with an almajeri will not hold back his knife during a riot.

read again

Zik and Akinsanya charged that they lost because their candidate was Ijebu not minding that so was also Awolowo. They walked out along with some Igbo members.

Zik had no reason to scream marginalization based on ethnicity.

I like your jabs against hausas by the way.   Calling them almajiris is about as appropriate as calling all Igbo alaba boys.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Nobody: 7:12pm On Nov 18, 2009
agabaI23:

If Ijebus are discriminated against by other Yorubas then why are they (Ijebus) holding the reins in Nigerian politics, commerce, and anything else you care to name?

Was Awolowo not Ijebu?

nothing wey person no go hear for internet.

na wa for una sha!!!!! Trust Naijas and their weird views.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Nchara: 7:32pm On Nov 18, 2009
Naijababe,

the points you highlighted were the opinions of the writer of the article that can hardly pass for a universal concensus. Zik supported a Yoruba and the walk out was from people across ethnic lines. This is more of personal brouhaha between ZIK and AWO than tribalism. If it was tribalism, Zik would prop up and be supporting an Igbo.

What is the official proof other than this one from the author of the article that Zik walked out because Akinsanya was Ijebu?

So the Yoruba who supported the Ijaw man instead of their tribesman which was because Awo (their g/father) was involved, would you also call them tribalists? Remember that the man who resigned was Yoruba and there could be a need to replace him as such (with another Yoruba)

Folks,
is it not surprising that the same Igbos who were viewed by the author as closing ranks are the same people who NEVER close ranks on any political matter (Igbo presidency and Anambra are good examples) compared to Yorubas who now close ranks even for the slightest thing (e.g., ditching AD party in support of Obasanjo in 2003)?
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Nobody: 7:34pm On Nov 18, 2009
I dont know what people are calling discrimination these days.

I'm discriminated against all the time on Nairaland but do you see me labelling it that?
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by bawomolo(m): 7:36pm On Nov 18, 2009
this thread shows people believe what they want to believe and disregard other points as hardly consensus. Hey isn't that life.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Abagworo(m): 7:44pm On Nov 18, 2009
hey why does the issue of awolowo,zik and co keep recurring?lets move on and leave them to rest in perfect peace.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Nobody: 8:10pm On Nov 18, 2009
I think the author you quoted was biased in his writing
I'm quoting 2 different authors
1) They reasoned that if the Igbos continued the policy of closing ranks on issues while the others remained divided, it was only a question of time before the Igbo dominated the rest. Groundwork of Nigerian History - Obaro Ikime
2) Azikwe's defection virtually destroyed the multi-tribal character of the Movement" (Nigerian Political Parties- R. L Sklar)
Note that neither of the two authors are Yoruba
Remember that the man who resigned was Yoruba and there could be a need to replace him as such (with another Yoruba)
If this was the case Awo would have pitched tent with Akinsanya who was not only his kinsman but also an Ijebu man
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by NegroNtns(m): 8:19pm On Nov 18, 2009
Una still dey here? grin
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Katsumoto: 8:21pm On Nov 18, 2009
naijababe:

1) They reasoned that if the Igbos continued the policy of closing ranks on issues while the others remained divided, it was only a question of time before the Igbo dominated the rest. Groundwork of Nigerian History - Obaro Ikime
2) Azikwe's defection virtually destroyed the multi-tribal character of the Movement" (Nigerian Political Parties- R. L Sklar)
Note that neither of the two authors are YorubaIf this was the case Awo would have pitched tent with Akinsanya who was not only his kinsman but also an Ijebu man

Naijababe, I am impressed with the way you are putting your arguments across; and also for the education.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 18, 2009
This is more of personal brouhaha between ZIK and AWO than tribalism
Now my friend you are talking. I personally believe the above to be the case rather the tribalism tales that is still being spurned to date.
Both were very ambitious and brilliant men ahead of their time, neither was however willing to put love for country ahead of personal ambition.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by asha80(m): 8:34pm On Nov 18, 2009
bawomolo:

Ijebu's are discriminated against by other Yoruba's? news to me. Awo wouldn't have risen to such a prominent position in that case

read again

Zik and Akinsanya charged that they lost because their candidate was Ijebu not minding that so was also Awolowo. They walked out along with some Igbo members.

Zik had no reason to scream marginalization based on ethnicity.

I like your jabs against hausas by the way. Calling them almajiris is about as appropriate as calling all Igbo alaba boys.

I am suprisede you said that.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by AloyEmeka6: 8:35pm On Nov 18, 2009
naijababe:

Note that neither of the two authors are YorubaIf this was the case Awo would have pitched tent with Akinsanya who was not only his kinsman but also an Ijebu man

You want to quote authors because each will give you a different account of what happened from their own perspective.  Read this link below about Awolowo  from an hausa author:

http://www.nigerdeltacongress.com/warticles/why_newspapers_fail_in_northern.htm
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by chosen04(f): 8:40pm On Nov 18, 2009
I like your jabs against hausas by the way. Calling them almajiris is about as appropriate as calling all Igbo alaba boys.

[quote][/quote]

I thut u will go to CNN to announce that!!
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by Nobody: 8:49pm On Nov 18, 2009
You want to quote authors because each will give you a different account of what happened from their own perspective. Read this link below about Awolowo from an hausa author:
I agree but what I'd like to see which I am yet to see are authors comparing not just the event of the 1950s but also that of the 1930/40s. I have since found out that a lot of us still continue to believe the moonlight tales told to us by our parents.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by NegroNtns(m): 9:09pm On Nov 18, 2009
Naijababe,

I am not sure the dates have anything to do with what you are seeing here. Igbos have refused to take accountability for why the civil war happened or for that matter that their losses in the aftermath had anything to do with political events in the East and mismanaged by Easterners. They are yet to heal from the pain and agony of the war. . . many of them have ended up in America and given their new found exposure in political struggles are starting to equate their situation to that of a "victimized" people. . . meriting recognition accorded the victims and survivors of holocaust.

To that end, they have a new awakening! Tracing their ancestry to Jews. . . grabbing at straws within the cultural remnants of slavery to draw empathy. Some have gone as far calling for petition to UN to declare that they were victims of human rights abuse and that certain elements. . .Awolowo and others. . . ought to be tried for war crimes.

They have all kind of nonsense out there that detail everything that has been done to them. . . but not one of what they have done to themselves. Bottom line is they need to heal and take the lessons of their mistakes to correct their steps going forward. Chronological attributes of 1800s, 1930s, 1950s will not help their healing. They need full account, within and without to purge the pains in the soul and the psyche.
Re: Igbos Stop Bashing Yourbas; Yorubas Stop Bashing Igbos. Let Us Work . . . . by agabaI23(m): 9:11pm On Nov 18, 2009
chosen04:

I was not throwing jabs at hausas. Not all hausa kill. It is the weather bitten and poverty hardened criminals who were made so  by no fault of theirs  but the influence of stupid culture that I was refering to. They are the people  that will laugh with you and then drive the sword to your neck the next second. Do you know what it means to live your life on the street from the age of five till adulthood?
It is traumatising when you consider the harsh wheather in the north. They live like animals.

The do not know the meaning of life.

I meant almajeris not hausas please.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top 10 Reasons Why Igbos And Yorubas Should Not Marry / Again, A Middle Belt Man Is Chosen For Another Odd Job. Picture. / FG To Submit 2019 Budget In September

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.