Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,037 members, 7,949,527 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 12:20 PM

Should Women Preach? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Women Preach? (9217 Views)

Poll: Should women preach?

No, it's completely wrong.: 4% (3 votes)
Well, they can preach outside the church.: 19% (12 votes)
Yes, they can preach anywhere.: 76% (48 votes)
This poll has ended

The Distorted Message Of Grace That We Preach / Should Women Be Silent In Churches? / Should Women Be Allowed To Preach On The Altar Or To Become A Pastor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Women Preach? by shahan(f): 12:39pm On Jan 11, 2007
Nne trini_girl,

The chauvanist and pharisaic intones notwithstanding, you still have gaping holes in your super-spirituality, my dear. We all agree that the letter kills, but still with your higher spirituality, you still haven't given us God's Word. I told you before, those women you sat under have been a help to your life - bless God and enjoy it. But they cannot explain the verses I quoted to you; neither have you attempted it.

Rest assure, no matter how super spiritual you may sound, the Word of God does not rest on guess work and probability. How many times did you quote "maybe". . . "maybe"?? And even in I Cor. 11 and I Tim. 2 verse quoted, not one time did Paul hint that what he stated there were his personal opinion "as a man." Otherwise, you're choosing and picking verses to suit your uncertainties - and, my dear, that will not do.

So, the super-spiritual camouflage notwithstanding, God's Word is clear on this issue - and let's get something more to the point in your inputs.

Bless up.
Re: Should Women Preach? by trinigirl1(f): 12:43pm On Jan 11, 2007
@ wyt

stop wining!

I'm hearing a lot of opinions and interpretations around the same issue.

A woman can preach but not teach
A woman can teach but in certain settings (under a Samaan tree? on the bus to work? at the spa?)
A woman can teach but she has to be old and teach younger women how to be good to their husbands

And it will go on and on around the same scriptures.

I will concede a bit, and be open to hear the contention of women not teaching in the "church" so as not to seem as if they are better than men, since I am open to correction.

Shahan is the only one here who seems to have solid evidence for his convictions as is evident in the calm, concise and clear way he delivers his opinions.  Therefore I will listen to him.

However, I am not yet convinced.
Re: Should Women Preach? by trinigirl1(f): 12:47pm On Jan 11, 2007
wyt:

@ Trini girl
i agree with you that you have to xpress yourself the way you want, it doesn't mean that u should be insultive ok, i would have say that is the fruit of women praching in the church, but i reserve my comment.

you just made the comment smarty pants.

and that comment by the way , was chauvanistic, unfounded and unrelated to the topic at hand, but I expect such from men who read the dead letter. smiley
Re: Should Women Preach? by shahan(f): 12:48pm On Jan 11, 2007
trini_girl:

I will concede a bit, and be open to hear the contention of women not teaching in the "church" so as not to seem as if they are better than men, since I am open to correction.

However, I am not yet convinced.

Nne trini_girl,

I'm a loser when it comes to writing igbo pidgin, but just want to rejoice in the way the Spirit of God is leading you. . . the hot parts apart. May He increase you more and more, bless you beyond me, staisfy your deepest longing. . . and above all, may He use you greater than my persuasions. God bless and bless and bless you, sis. Amen!! cheesy
Re: Should Women Preach? by trinigirl1(f): 12:50pm On Jan 11, 2007
who is this smiling chershire cat adeoba angry

if u have nothing to contribute please observe on the side lines and stop wasting valuable thread space!
Re: Should Women Preach? by wyt(m): 12:53pm On Jan 11, 2007
my point is this, that we should take it as a means of learning not quarel ok. lets reason with love. i like shaham's last post, not picking offence! its that not lovely and Godly? that is the way we ought to be
God bless you grin
Re: Should Women Preach? by trinigirl1(f): 12:55pm On Jan 11, 2007
Shahan!

For the first time since I've been on nairaland I'm huffing and puffing at my computer screen.

Your steadiness and calm on this issue infuriates me!!   angry

I like you  grin

I accept your challenge and will return with my scriptural backing forthwith ,   after I calm down and steady my nerves a bit. wink
Re: Should Women Preach? by trinigirl1(f): 12:57pm On Jan 11, 2007
shahan:

Nne trini_girl,

I'm a loser when it comes to writing igbo pidgin, but just want to rejoice in the way the Spirit of God is leading you. . . the hot parts apart. May He increase you more and more, bless you beyond me, staisfy your deepest longing. . . and above all, may He use you greater than my persuasions. God bless and bless and bless you, sis. Amen!! cheesy

What's wrong with me being hot now, angry grrrrrrrr
Re: Should Women Preach? by shahan(f): 12:59pm On Jan 11, 2007
shocked shocked

Lol, okay. . . just kidding with those pair of goo-goo eyes  grin

However, I will still stand on that prayer - and will say it again:

God bless and bless and bless you today and always, from this very minute in the mighty name of Jesus Christ.

Bless all.
Re: Should Women Preach? by lioness(f): 1:00pm On Jan 11, 2007
Should female dogs bark??  tongue
Re: Should Women Preach? by shahan(f): 1:01pm On Jan 11, 2007
No, and no!! angry . . . not when they see a lion around the corner sha! cheesy
Re: Should Women Preach? by trinigirl1(f): 1:04pm On Jan 11, 2007
wyt:

my point is this, that we should take it as a means of learning not quarel ok. lets reason with love. i like shaham's last post, not picking offence!

We are not quarrelling sir, we are having a passionate discussion,  ok?

wyt:

its that not lovely and Godly? that is the way we ought to be,God bless you

Please, don't hit me with the sanctimonious "God bless you", when u really mean "I'm better than you, you poor blind offensive feminist" ,  I know u don't mean it ,  at least Shahan did. Thanks Shahan. kiss

Lift your skirt tail and skip to another thread wyt abeg   grin
Re: Should Women Preach? by wyt(m): 1:11pm On Jan 11, 2007
@ trini girl  
Nne, i think we are protecting the same scripture,
maybe ur sit down with scripture and ask Holy Gost to teach.
May the Lord God bless you real good
Re: Should Women Preach? by Reverend(m): 1:30pm On Jan 11, 2007
The bigotry surrounding this whole question Just goes to show how far we still have to go to shake off this archaic sexist nonsense.

The death of religion will be it's inability to adapt to the changing times and the modern World in which we live in.

To state that women should not preach or teach is utter ignorance. Women have proven time and time again that they are as capable if not better than men at most things (notwistanding physical activities).

That man written scriptures of dubious origin from hundreds of years ago should have any influence on our thoughts just go to show how fallible and misguided religion is.

During a recent test at Microsoft they came to the following conclusions:

Women tend to be better than men at empowering staff.

Women encourage openness and are more accessible.

Women leaders respond more quickly to calls for assistance.

Women are more tolerant of differences, so they're more skilled at managing diversity.

Women identify problems more quickly and more accurately.

Women are better at defining job expectations and providing feedback.

War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed. Results like these do not belong on the résumé of a Supreme Being. This is the kind of shit you'd expect from an office temp with a bad attitude.

I firmly believe, looking at these results, that if there is a God, it has to be a man.

No woman could or would ever mess things up like this. So, if there is a God, I think most reasonable people might agree that he's at least incompetent, and maybe, just maybe, doesn't give a shit.

But he ain't a woman that's for sure lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Should Women Preach? by TV01(m): 1:33pm On Jan 11, 2007
While trini_girl feverishly studies the scriptures and comes to the realization that there is no scriptural basis for her position  smiley, may I say this.

ufanIma in post #18 said
Women that are ordained as pastors are not in anyway usurping  authority - it is God's  gift that is not partial to male or female.  The gifts of the spirit and the ministerial gifts are not based on men or women.

Shahan post #23 said
So, while I agree that there are women pastors indeed according to God's Word, it still stands that women are "not to teach or usurp authority over the man as we read in I Tim. 2:12.

Pursuant to the fact that women cannot teach or take authority over men is the fact that they cannot be ordained pastors noting that;

1. Ordination is not anything in itself, and
2. There is no such thing as a pastor different from an elder and no single person is given charge
   over a body of believers. Eldership is always to be in plurality.

To say that women cannot take authority, but say they can be elders is counterintuitive. The body of Christ submits to (the authority) of elders.

We raised this earlier in "Church Structure & Sole Authority Pastors" . I outlined it as  I believe the scripture reveals it, but till now, no one has come back with an alternative or contrary rendering of scripture.

Lets keep talking

God bless
Re: Should Women Preach? by wyt(m): 1:34pm On Jan 11, 2007
Shaham, indeed i love, trini girl, my love for you is great, what a broken heart in repentance? please my senior friend must read this! it is so amasing, God bless you all
indeed i love this family of God
Re: Should Women Preach? by exu(m): 2:18pm On Jan 11, 2007
There's only one reason why a woman ever need open her mouth.
Re: Should Women Preach? by osegwu(m): 2:43pm On Jan 11, 2007
Honestly, I think women should be allowed to teach along
side their male counterpart. Reason, God can raise anybody
to do his work. Laws are made for man and not man for law.

And again, we should be civil in the way we use words here.

We should not call what our fellow man say Rubbish simply
cos we have freedom of speech. We ought to apply courtesy.
Re: Should Women Preach? by trinigirl1(f): 3:03pm On Jan 11, 2007
Osegwu

Say what u have to say and move on , do not provoke me.

If you do not have a thick skin then stay away from where i post or your skin will become thick if u hang around me ,  deal with it! Who are you to dictate what i can and cannot say ,  please! Only a real man can tame this tempest storm! grin
I am not impressed.  angry
Re: Should Women Preach? by aylala2002(m): 3:10pm On Jan 11, 2007
Women can preach elsewhere, but In the CHURCH? NO!!! its very clear, am not being sentimental or againts women, remember it was Eve who lured Adam 2 sin, it was Sarah who made Abram got a 2nd wive, it was the Portiphar's wvie who wanted 2 ruin Joseph's future, it was Jezebel who ruined Ahab's life, the same woman who pioneered worldly dressing 4 our ladies 2day,the queen of Sheba was one the people who ruined Solomon.Deliala and Samson nko wink it was Rebecca dat caused enemity btw her twins (Esau nd Jacob).Lot's 2 daughters made Lot slept with them (Incest).i can go on and on. Hey dont get me wrong ladies are wondaful people, but Bro Paul, led by the Holy Spirit made him instruct the church not to allow women preach.Reason:women are easily led astray by the devil. Simple. I luv u ladies in the house. God bless u all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AMEN
Re: Should Women Preach? by TV01(m): 3:16pm On Jan 11, 2007
trini_girl:

Only real man can tame this tempest storm! grin

Please post a pic so the real men can see if the effort will be worthwile  cheesy

trini_girl:

I am not impressed.  angry

All those trying to impress trini_girl please raise your hands  

1 Peter 3: 3 Do not let your adornment be merely outward--arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel-- 4 rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God. 5 For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands, 6 as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, whose daughters you are if you do good and are not afraid with any terror.

It takes the grace of God to acquire the sweet character outlined above  cheesy.

God bless you Sis' trini_girl
Re: Should Women Preach? by ishmael(m): 3:21pm On Jan 11, 2007
trini_girl:

Osegwu

Say what u have to say and move on , do not provoke me.

If you do not have a thick skin then stay away from where i post or your skin will become thick if u hang around me , deal with it! Who are you to dictate what i can and cannot say , please! Only a real man can tame this tempest storm! grin
I am not impressed. angry

You are too harsh. Are you single and stll searching or married?? Are you a divorcee or a woman that has past the age of marriage?? let us know please. You need to kool down i beg!!
Re: Should Women Preach? by ishmael(m): 3:30pm On Jan 11, 2007
aylala2002:

Women can preach elsewhere, but In the CHURCH? NO!!! its very clear, am not being sentimental or againts women, remember it was Eve who lured Adam 2 sin, it was Sarah who made Abram got a 2nd wive, it was the Portiphar's wvie who wanted 2 ruin Joseph's future, it was Jezebel who ruined Ahab's life, the same woman who pioneered worldly dressing 4 our ladies 2day,the queen of Sheba was one the people who ruined Solomon.Deliala and Samson nko wink it was Rebecca that caused enemity between her twins (Esau nd Jacob).Lot's 2 daughters made Lot slept with them (Incest).i can go on and on. Hey don't get me wrong ladies are wondaful people, but Bro Paul, led by the Holy Spirit made him instruct the church not to allow women preach.Reason:women are easily led astray by the devil. Simple. I love u ladies in the house. God bless u all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AMEN

Yes, you are correct. That was exactly why God said they should keep their mouths closed in churches, because he does nt want them to lead some men astray again.
Re: Should Women Preach? by trinigirl1(f): 3:34pm On Jan 11, 2007
@ ishmael

lol!! ok  wink

for international peace and tranquility,  I will be cool ,  for now

are you asking me my stats?

I'm single ,  with many guys pursuing me! I even have a couple stalkers on nairaland that chat me up from my posts  sad
They seem to think they are in love with me ,  poor guys.

Anyway, don't let the tigress in me scare you ,  I control it, and use it in balance. But I don't like weak men.

My hotness makes things more exciting  grin

BTW wth is "past the age of marriage"
Re: Should Women Preach? by ishmael(m): 3:48pm On Jan 11, 2007
trini_girl:

I will be cool ,  for now

Please be cool for ever.

trini_girl:

I'm single ,  with many guys pursuing me! I even have a couple stalkers on nairaland that chat me up from my posts  sad
They seem to think they are in love with me ,  poor guys.

Good to know that you are single; then we could be friends too. But you have to take it easy with some of us oo, don't scare us away from you.
Re: Should Women Preach? by trinigirl1(f): 3:58pm On Jan 11, 2007
ok sad
Re: Should Women Preach? by trinigirl1(f): 4:01pm On Jan 11, 2007
@TV01

So my brother, what makes you think I don't have the sweet character of which you speak? Hmm??

So because I have strong opinions that I am passionate about (and sometimes change once I am convinced), you are saying that I'm not sweet and do not have the grace of God ??  cry **sniff**

by the way,  only people on my Yahoo list get to see my pic  grin
Re: Should Women Preach? by TV01(m): 4:32pm On Jan 11, 2007
trini_girl:

So my brother, what makes you think I don't have the sweet character of which you speak? Hmm??

I could be totally wrong, but so far you are yet to demonstrate such. By their fruits my sister.

trini_girl:

So because I have strong opinions that I am passionate about (and sometimes change once I am convinced), you are saying that I'm not sweet and do not have the grace of God ??  cry **sniff**

Strong opinions good, passion excellent. Please don't confuse these with the aggression and belligerence you sometimes portray in your posts. They are more masculine traits and not necessarily becoming even of men.

But I take heart that you responded to the charge laid against you. Like I said, it takes the grace of God. We are none of us perfect Sis', least of all myself. It's why I took a self imposed sabbatical from posting on Nairaland. During the last two months I've  followed everything with keen interest. I noted when you first joined (or maybe become more active?) late last year, and I've read your posts with interest and dare I say it, for the most part I've been quite impressed.

I particularly like the fact that you realise that law bound religion (tithing temples etc etc) is not synonymous with heart-felt faith. But in throwing off religious shackles and taking the full liberty to be found in Christ, please don't let your liberty turn into licentiousness (with particular regard to your post on pre-marital sex and fornication).

So sis' I speak not just as a blogger but as someone who in cyber terms knows a little about you and wants the best for you.

About the pic, I don't know what the Yahoo list is? Just show me yours and I'll show you mine  wink.

God bless.
Re: Should Women Preach? by Seun(m): 6:29pm On Jan 11, 2007
trini_girl dear, the problem is not primarily with the male chauvinists proudly talking rubbish on this thread.

The problem is with the male chauvinists that wrote the bible. Those are the big culprits here! cheesy
Re: Should Women Preach? by Reverend(m): 6:37pm On Jan 11, 2007
Seun:

trini_girl dear, the problem is not primarily with the male chauvinists proudly talking rubbish on this thread.

The problem is with the male chauvinists that wrote the bible. Those are the big culprits here! cheesy

Male chauvinists wrote the Bible shocked shocked shocked shocked

I thought it was J.K Rowlings grin grin grin grin
Re: Should Women Preach? by mrpataki(m): 6:39pm On Jan 11, 2007
Seun:

The problem is with the [b]male chauvinists that wrote the bible. Those are the big culprits here! cheesy[/b]

Please could you shed more light on those male chauvinists of yours that you have discovered in the bible?
Re: Should Women Preach? by trinigirl1(f): 10:46pm On Jan 11, 2007
Seun:

Aha! Even Seun thinks you guys are chauvanists talking rubbish, lol, and he's a man he should know!

And see here! Why are you guys getting on his case? Please, that's my job  grin

Seun ,  you have come again with your attack on God oooo ,  what did the scriptures ever do to u now ,  haba!
See my submission to "Does God Exist" thread.  We need to discuss this issue you are having with seeing God as a mean dictator.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Does Not Going To Church Make One A Bad Christian? / I'm a Christian But I Don't Need Church! / Of What Use Was Noah's Flood If It Couldn't Stop Wickedness?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.