Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,557 members, 7,944,668 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 09:21 PM

Thank God High Schools Are Dead - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Thank God High Schools Are Dead (937 Views)

Nigeria, Where Kids That Should Be In Schools Are Breadwinners Of Their Families / Woman Kneels Down To Thank Her Husband After Graduating With PhD, See Reactions / America Set To Pass A Contorversial Law For High Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thank God High Schools Are Dead by Davidflight: 12:17pm On Dec 29, 2016
WHY I HATED HIGH SCHOOLS.
As a child, I grew up knowing I and everybody in my community would access primary education through only one man, ABC Orjiako, the father and hero of the elementary kids. He was the sole sponsor of our education at the primary level, not just for our community, but our entire local government.
Who knew government then? Orjiako was more popular and pronounced among the teachers and pupils than the President or Governor because he was our only source of hope: hope of learning; of a future, a destiny and fulfilment of dreams. We adored him, sang marching songs and, were terrified at just the mention of his name. In fact, he was a god to us.
But I grew up learning and unlearning a lot. As my consciousness advanced, I was soon to be confronted with facts and reality. I never thought, like my schoolmates, that the government owned schools. I grew up knowing just one man as the sponsor of education. I was to be posted to a government owned secondary school (high school). Of course, I was happy to have graduated from the primary school but, to go to a high school like Uli boys? That I would never consider myself accepting. Outright rejection greeted the letter at home as my mother who had been waiting anxiously for my high school posting had already made up her mind never to have me join the "bad empty-heads in the high schools." That was the rhetoric of few informed parents in the village when describing the bizarreness of students and education in high schools. Thanks to goodness they are moribund especially in the South East, the Igbo land.
Yes, I am happy they are for serious reasons. High school is yet another expression of the irresponsibility of the Nigerian government and one that ensures their unpopularity especially amongst pupils and students at that. Had you taken a trip to any of these schools, you would probably have understood the dehumanization and defrauding of students of those schools. The dilapidation and decay of infrastructure, polluted learning environments, nonchalance of clearly unqualified teachers who are unrepentant sycophants to political godfathers, start the list of heart wrecking conditions in high schools. Indiscipline is the commonest lesson the so-called teachers give the students every hour of the school periods. That is why the Police never lacked around the vicinity of most of these schools to haul cultists movements and weapon fights, Uli Boys was a living example.
Government has always touted how its presence is heavily felt in grassroot education and I ask where, when and how? Because as I child, I never knew government was to be responsible for my education and when I got to know, my experience gave me more convictions that government doesn't know about the existence of high schools. With the state of high schools, one would only conclude that government doesn't know about their existence. If they knew, as humans they are, they would have a feeling, at least, of sorry.
I could imagine why a colleague had reasoned that they were like orphans in their high school days. They hardly understood they were there to learn until they got out. While I wished ABC Orjiako had enough money to continue my training up to secondary level, I was and will be profoundly grateful to God because my parents could afford my private secondary school financial obligations. What about the financially unfortunate of today? Will this government ever be responsible on this one thing?

1 Like

Re: Thank God High Schools Are Dead by EfemenaXY: 9:55am On Dec 30, 2016
I'm confused.

Aren't the high schools you mention, the same as government funded secondary schools?

If I remember clearly, there used to be two types of government funded secondary schools:

1. Federal Government Colleges: Higher standards for which applicants were required to take Common Entrance Examinations in Maths, English, Quantitative, and (verbal reasoning?) papers, and if successful, to undergo an interview with the principal and a couple of senior teachers

2. Community secondary schools: Lower standards / entry requirements for applicants.

Question: is this still the case? And do these schools still offer free education?

Cc: Blank. Thorpido. Ifyalways. Bellong. Onegai. Justwise. Kimoni.

1 Like

Re: Thank God High Schools Are Dead by thorpido(m): 10:26am On Dec 30, 2016
EfemenaXY,the Op is confused.I guess because he is schooling in a village.The high school he keeps mentioning is the same as secondary school.
He probably thinks it means something else.

The schools don't offer free education.Even when i was in high school it wasn't free.I know the fees are low though and the schools are poorly funded by government.

1 Like

Re: Thank God High Schools Are Dead by EfemenaXY: 7:05pm On Dec 30, 2016
thorpido:
EfemenaXY,the Op is confused.I guess because he is schooling in a village.The high school he keeps mentioning is the same as secondary school.
He probably thinks it means something else.

Ah! I get it now, thanks.

The schools don't offer free education.Even when i was in high school it wasn't free.I know the fees are low though and the schools are poorly funded by government.

True. Very true. I remember now, thanks. smiley

1 Like

Re: Thank God High Schools Are Dead by Kimoni: 8:16pm On Dec 30, 2016
lol...Efe, don't know how it works these days o but just to mention that they were not really govt funded but govt subsidized, so the school fees were also not free but reduced due to the subsidy from govt.

1 Like

Re: Thank God High Schools Are Dead by blank(f): 1:01am On Jan 03, 2017
I have no clue as to the point the OP was trying to make. It seems he was trying to draw a distinction between certain types of secondary schools but I can't make it out.

@op, why not revisit your thread and make your point clearer.

1 Like

Re: Thank God High Schools Are Dead by Davidflight: 11:28pm On Jan 09, 2017
Lol...Well, high schools are now called secondary schools. Initially, they were high schools until recently.
My point though is that government established schools at the primary level rarely existed in my area. Government's irresponsibility was so obvious that a single individual sponsored the education of the entire local government at the primary level. And the negligence of the so called government owned High schools as they were called during my time, was at its apogee.

(1) (Reply)

Nostalgia Extraordinaire! / Man Impregnates His Mother In-law In Nassawara / If You Want To Have A Successful Marriage...... Read This!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.