Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,202,268 members, 7,981,496 topics. Date: Monday, 21 October 2024 at 06:41 PM

Hi Ui Student! Plz Help Me Out - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hi Ui Student! Plz Help Me Out (778 Views)

Ui Student Union Election Live Today / UI Student Slumps, Dies And 3 Collapse At Exam Centre / When A UI Student Manage To Have 7 Point. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hi Ui Student! Plz Help Me Out by ikelowa(m): 7:52pm On Nov 19, 2009
HELLO TO ALL STUDENT OF UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN ON NAIRALAND. PLZ I WOULD LIKE YOU TO CLARIFIED THIS TO ME.I CHOSE UI AS MY FIRST AND SECOND CHOICE BUT I WAS NOT SHORTLISTED FOR THE INTERVIEW.I WAS ASKED TO CHECK AND PRINT OUT THE ADMISSION STATUE WHICH I DID.BUT WHAT SURPRISE ME WAS THIS,(AS IT IS BEING WRITTEN ON MY ADMISSION STATUE):WEIGHTED SCORE (First Choice): 55.1,WEIGHTED SCORE (Second Choice): 57.1 MY FIRST CHOICE COURSE IS ECONOMICS WHILE MY SECOND CHOICE COURSE IS ECONOMICS EDUCATION.AFTER I CALCULATED MY WEIGHTED SCORE,IT WAS 55.1.BUT I WAS GIVEN 57.1 IN MY SECOND CHOICE.STILL NOT SHORTLISTED FOR SECOND BATCH.PLZ CLARIFIED ME ON THE WEIGHTED SCORE AND I NEED YOUR ADVICE ON HOW I SHOULD GO ABOUT ON THE CHANGE OF COURSE FORM.LIKE THE COURSE THAT WILL FAVOUR ME AND OTHERS.THANKS A LOT.I WILL SO MUCH APPRECIATE YOUR URGENT REPLIES.HAVE A NICE DAY!
Re: Hi Ui Student! Plz Help Me Out by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 20, 2009
That is also the type of position I find myself, I chose UI as my second choice and my average is 60.7 psychology, please advise me on the course to change to.
Re: Hi Ui Student! Plz Help Me Out by U1(m): 5:28pm On Nov 20, 2009
@Ikelowa

Hi! I think I could give a little explanation on this. The only possible reason why the weighted scores are different from each other is that the subjects which are used to calculate them may be different since only 5 courses is required to calculate the weighted score for each course, only relevant subjects are used.

I'm in the Economics department too, got admission last year, and from my little experience, I learnt that it could be possible to cross over from departments like Geography and some others which I'm not sure of yet, but most surely don't try that with the Sociology department. And the only other thing is that for last year's admission, there was no department in the social sciences available for the change of course. Just choose any course which you think you could as well be good in and your weighted score must be well past it.

@ salaksmana

I'll say you are in the best position to the decide somehow based on what I wrote above. Choose any course you think you stand a very good chance in and make sure you refer to your UME brochure to find O'level subjects required for such course and calculate your weighted score to make sure you beat it.

Hope this helps.
Re: Hi Ui Student! Plz Help Me Out by Nobody: 9:28pm On Nov 20, 2009
Thank you very much, hope to see you in UI. What if psychology happens to be available can I still choose it because I reach the locality cut off of psychology and I\'m a native of Osun state in my form.
Re: Hi Ui Student! Plz Help Me Out by U1(m): 11:02am On Nov 21, 2009
salaksmana:

Thank you very much, hope to see you in UI. What if psychology happens to be available can I still choose it because I reach the locality cut off of psychology and I\'m a native of Osun state in my form.

You are welcome. All I can tell you is do as I have outlined in the previous post because had it been you were qualified based on locality, your name would have been on the second-choice list. Let me use my case for example, I'm from one of the south-west states and my weighted average was 71.6 while the general cut-off on merit was 72.6 for economics last year and since I choosed UI as my first choice I was on the first-choice list probably because I'm from a locality area. I'll advice you not to choose psychology if at all it is on the change of course list. Just my 2 cents.
Re: Hi Ui Student! Plz Help Me Out by Nobody: 12:22pm On Nov 21, 2009
Thanks for your 2 cents

(1) (Reply)

Special Edu As A Course;plz What's It All About / Lattest News Abt Abu / o

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.