Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,537 members, 7,965,128 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 October 2024 at 09:00 AM

Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola (9338 Views)

Can We Now Have State Police That The PDP Has Denied Us For 16yrs! / Obasanjo Tears PDP Membership Card In Pictures / Dont Remove Fuel Subsidy, Allow State To Have State Fuel Taxes by Musiwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by isomadtech(m): 10:44am On Nov 25, 2009
it is a good thing that the i d card project for Lagos is coming up. Lagos has always be at the forefront of doing things like that while other states follow. the project is for residents and not indigene. Lagos is everybody's place being the former and still the commercial capital of NIGERIA. this will also go a long way in correcting the population lies which we have always been fed with that a state has more people than lagos. however, the issue of faking has always been a critical issue all over the world but you all know that there are detectors which always brings out the fake stuff and i believe those equipments will be deployed at strategic places. Let's wait for the time as events begin to unfold itself. Tax is our responsibility and we should not run away from it, especially the Lagosians because they can see what their money is being used for unlike other states. your tax will remain the same unless your income increases. we should also coreect our mind set if we want this nation to move forward. stop criticising good ideas with good motives, rather let there be constructive criticism and let them know the way forward.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by back2back(f): 10:52am On Nov 25, 2009
Good idea but is it legally binding??

Will your ID be accepted by any Bank?

will your ID be accepted by Police, Immigrations, Custom etc?

What if an individual says he does NOT want the ID still resides in Lagos?

What if the Hausa & Igbos says this scheme to chase them away from Lagos?

Dont forget Nigeria is 'owned by FG' and only they can establish who is a Nigerian!
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by rethink: 11:43am On Nov 25, 2009
@babapupa

Since NL is a microcsm of Nigeria you can see that MR MEKUSXXX does not know what BIOMETRIC MEANS.

NIGERIANS PLEASE IF YOU LIVE OUTSIDE NIGERIA AND YOU USE BIOMETRIC PASSPORT PLEASE NEVER DO 2 PASSPORTS YOU WILL GET INTO ALOT OF TROUBLE. DONT LET ANY PASSPORT AGENT DECEIVE YOU.

We need to educate people
@Mekusxxxx

Yes you can have 2 or even 40 IDs but the biometric scanner will have you because it uses your DNA. Except you are a spirit or some magician every human being have just one DNA.

So you can have 40 IDs with 40 different names but you have only one DNA.

What this means is that if you are walking on the street in lagos and you are stoppe to be checked when the scan is done 40 names will come with your the same picture.

That technology is like playing god.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by nuesaweso(f): 12:54pm On Nov 25, 2009
back2back:

Good idea but is it legally binding??

Will your ID be accepted by any Bank?

will your ID be accepted by Police, Immigrations, Custom etc?

What if an individual says he does NOT want the ID still resides in Lagos?

What if the Hausa & Igbos says this scheme to chase them away from Lagos?

Dont forget Nigeria is 'owned by FG' and only they can establish who is a Nigerian!

Let me attempt to respond to your concerns

> What does it take to make it legally binding? Guess we still have a state house of assembly in Lagos. . .Pass it into law, easy!

>If it is legally binding then that answers your 2nd and 3rd questions

>No problem if you dont want the ID. . .It simply means you deny yourself benefits as well (Discount travel on BRT buses, No tax code so u'll be forced to pay emergency tax rates etc)

>And won't the non-Lagos Yoruba say the same? we need to outgrow petty tribalism which has always been a clog in the wheel of our progress. Well, be sure that the enlightened ones among them wont say that. They all have NI number in UK and Social security in US. . .Sure they didnt say it was a plan to chase them from those countries. People need to be enlightened not just educated cos they are 2 different things.

>Lagos ID card is not about who is/is not a Nigerian, thats why you have your Nigerian Passport.

Anymore?
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by back2back(f): 12:59pm On Nov 25, 2009
yes:

> What does it take to make it legally binding? Guess we still have a state house of assembly in Lagos. . .Pass it into law, easy!

how is that binding on Nigeria Custom or Nigeria police, Nigerian Banks etc?

National Assembly superceed any state Assembly!

This is 'internal affairs' and only FG handles such!
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by CarlosVent(m): 1:02pm On Nov 25, 2009
is this id card for lagos citizens or residents?
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by back2back(f): 1:04pm On Nov 25, 2009
is this id card for lagos citizens or residents?

good question.

And what/who determines who is Lagos Citizen and Lagos Resident?
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by rethink: 1:06pm On Nov 25, 2009
@Carlosvent
It is for RESIDENTS.

@back2back

There is nothing in the constitution that prevents registration or Identification of RESIDENTS

if you live in my house and I write your name where your car should be parked does that make you the owner of my house?
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by back2back(f): 1:08pm On Nov 25, 2009
It is for RESIDENTS.

what is criteria for someone to be a Lagos Resident?
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by nuesaweso(f): 1:10pm On Nov 25, 2009
back2back:

yes:

how is that binding on Nigeria Custom or Nigeria police, Nigerian Banks etc?

National Assembly superceed any state Assembly!

This is 'internal affairs' and only FG handles such!

Now u'r bringing a different angle. . . . u'r assuming the FG will object to it, Is that correct?

back2back:

good question.

And what/who determines who is Lagos Citizen and Lagos Resident?

It is for Lagos residents and I'm sure you know what that mean. By the way, what exactly do you mean by Lagos Citizen?
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by nuesaweso(f): 1:13pm On Nov 25, 2009
back2back:

what is criteria for someone to be a Lagos Resident?

Lagos Resident >>>>Reside in Lagos >>>>>>Place of abode. . .

Or are you pulling my legs? embarassed
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by rethink: 1:17pm On Nov 25, 2009
@back2back

Haba! are you saying that you want me to look for another meaning of what a resident is ?
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by simplychic(f): 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2009
I don't know why some people are so negative,its so bad that they think nothing good can come out of this country
or even lagos state, we know your type, that was how you all came here saying rubbish when they wanted to start
BRT but when the operation started they were the first set of people to jump inside it.
Please be patriotic for once and let us support the Lagos state Government.
Whether you like it or not Lagos state will become a Mega City
Eko o ni baje!
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by back2back(f): 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2009
Lagos Resident >>>>Reside in Lagos >>>>>>Place of abode. .

what happens to people that works in Lagos Mon- Fri and go to their to their family on weekend?

what happen to people born & works in lagos and transfer to another state by their work-place?

what EXACTLY make a Lagos Resident? And is this valid in 'Nigerian Law'

Tell us what happens, you show your Lagos ID to policeman in Kano and he said thats not recognised that you must be from Togo?

Tell us what happens, you show your Lagos ID to Bank in Enugu and they said thats not recognised for you to be paid?
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by emyah(m): 1:41pm On Nov 25, 2009
Nigeria government should seat down and address some certain issue'
1) Did the governor's Team evaluate this programme/policies before public consumption
If Yes why are we still ONE NIGERIA
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by nuesaweso(f): 1:46pm On Nov 25, 2009
back2back:

what happens to people that works in Lagos Mon- Fri and go to their to their family on weekend?

what happen to people born & works in lagos and transfer to another state by their work-place?

what EXACTLY make a Lagos Resident? And is this valid in 'Nigerian Law'

Tell us what happens, you show your Lagos ID to policeman in Kano and he said thats not recognised that you must be from Togo?

Tell us what happens, you show your Lagos ID to Bank in Enugu and they said thats not recognised for you to be paid?

To attempt to address ur concerns (again),

>If you live 5 days out of 7 in Lagos and you pay your taxes to Lagos, How more Lagos resident can you get? You're definitely entitled to all the benefits of the state resident.

>Lagos ID is not a State of origin affidavit, ur birth certificate is sufficient for that. It's just for fiscal purposes and quantitative accountability. When u'r transferred permanently out of Lagos, ur company by default pays ur income tax to the State u'r transferred to and Lagos cease to collect tax on your income. That wont apply on short term assignments and temporary transfers though.

>If you reside in Lagos and pay ur tax to Lagos government, then you are a Lagos resident. Yes it is valid in Nigerian law cos state Govts are responsible for a huge percentage of Income tax. (Cant give details as I'm an Engineer. . . . someone with Tax background can help out here)

>Sweetie, you need to understand the concept of this Lagos ID card else u'll keep mixing up issues. It's not designed to replace ur Nigerian epassport, Driver's licence etc (this should answer the last 2 questions)

Anymore?
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by nuesaweso(f): 1:50pm On Nov 25, 2009
emyah:

Nigeria government should seat down and address some certain issue'
1) Did the governor's Team evaluate this programme/policies before public consumption
If Yes why are we still ONE NIGERIA

@emyah,

I'm trying to understand ur concern here. If you add a few more lines to your statement, It'll help get the point u'r making. . .can't figure it out yet.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by back2back(f): 3:16pm On Nov 25, 2009
>If you live 5 days out of 7 in Lagos and you pay your taxes to Lagos, How more Lagos resident can you get? You're definitely entitled to all the benefits of the state resident.

which tax are you talking about? PAYE?

How does this applies to FG workers(Army boys in Ojo Cantonement as example) are that in Lagos state?

That wont apply on short term assignments and temporary transfers though.

so what will apply here?

It's not designed to replace your Nigerian epassport, Driver's licence etc (this should answer the last 2 questions)

what is designed to do exactly?

which section of Nigeria Law is it stated that 'States can issue citizens/residents ID?

My point: Such things need to be well planned and all stakeholders consulted
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by novaman: 3:22pm On Nov 25, 2009
I just hope they will make use of finger prints, so that each id will be truly secured
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by nuesaweso(f): 4:14pm On Nov 25, 2009
back2back:

which tax are you talking about? PAYE?

How does this applies to FG workers(Army boys in Ojo Cantonement as example) are that in Lagos state?

so what will apply here?

what is designed to do exactly?

which section of Nigeria Law is it stated that 'States can issue citizens/residents ID?

My point: Such things need to be well planned and all stakeholders consulted

There you go! Dont States issue birth certificates and LG identification? so which law states they cant issue residents with ID?

Funny you. . .how much more will they consult all stakeholders than what they have done? Have you been to your local area constituency office to read the brochures about the ID card scheme. I bet you dont even know where your constituency office is and who is representing your area. Well, you have a right to scream thank God for NL.

Please tell me any bill concerning you currently being debated at the House of Assembly, if you are really concerned?

You remind me of the troubled man who is always shouting at traffic in the high street, just outside Mr Biggs - the one with the matted beard who is wearing a long duffle coat held together with crocodile clips and whose shirts has got dried blood on it.

It's easy to see where u'r coming from but dont worry, that plan was aborted in 1977.

anymore?
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by back2back(f): 4:20pm On Nov 25, 2009
There you go! Dont States issue birth certificates and LG identification? so which law states they cant issue residents with ID?

answer my question first, if you know it!

which section of Nigeria Law is it stated that 'States can issue "citizens/residents ID"?
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by nuesaweso(f): 4:35pm On Nov 25, 2009
back2back:

answer my question first, if you know it!

which section of Nigeria Law is it stated that 'States can issue "citizens/residents ID"?

I can try if you tell me what you mean by Lagos citizens.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by tunde300us(m): 5:03pm On Nov 25, 2009
I thnik back2back is just playing games here,nd i also think she is really enjoying ur replies nues. But if she is not then i wonder how she passed WAEC atall cos the term resident itself shldnt be the issue but the interpreter of the term.
This is one of the reasons why some people say the nigerian constitution is not the problem but the implementers of it,so i guess back2back can please go to google to help her with the definition of the term resident.

This shld help though

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/residence

I am also sure you might not know that a foreigner can also get resident permit cos it seems u dont know so many things as regards the above topic.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by bababuff(m): 5:11pm On Nov 25, 2009
[size=18pt]Need a visa to come into Lagos state?[/size]

I can arrange one for you.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by smile11s(m): 6:01pm On Nov 25, 2009
ID card for lagosians will be a good start to tackle security
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by mekusxxx: 6:42pm On Nov 25, 2009
rethink:

@babapupa

Since NL is a microcsm of Nigeria you can see that MR MEKUSXXX does not know what BIOMETRIC MEANS.

NIGERIANS PLEASE IF YOU LIVE OUTSIDE NIGERIA AND YOU USE BIOMETRIC PASSPORT PLEASE NEVER DO 2 PASSPORTS YOU WILL GET INTO ALOT OF TROUBLE. DONT LET ANY PASSPORT AGENT DECEIVE YOU.

We need to educate people
@Mekusxxxx

Yes you can have 2 or even 40 IDs but the biometric scanner will have you because it uses your DNA. Except you are a spirit or some magician every human being have just one DNA.

So you can have 40 IDs with 40 different names but you have only one DNA.

What this means is that if you are walking on the street in lagos and you are stoppe to be checked when the scan is done 40 names will come with your the same picture.

That technology is like playing god.

Where did you read where I said you can have two biometric IDs? What suggested to you that I do not know the meaning and component of a biometric system?
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by iyeyemi: 7:22pm On Nov 25, 2009
aisha2:

In case you have not noticed, In fasholas world, there is No CANT and no NOT LIKELY, there is no IMPOSSIBLE and ther are no EXCUSES, he sets his plan and works to bring it to light, he has not made any promise yet and failed to deliver. He is busy working constructively and positively, I suggest you do the same, a Hausa proverb says Jumm'a mai kyua da ga Laraba a ke gane wa, meaning you know you will have a good weekend from wednesday. If you are so negative now, you will be worse when u become a leader.
Cheers

Wow, suddenly Fashola is the Infallible, All Seeing, All Knowing, Never-to-be-questioned god to whom we must all bow in unreserved obeisance. Well for your information, we aint all docile followers, some of us actually ask questions and that's what a democracy is about. Have you ever been harassed by lastma b4? Just last week i saw a man receive a head but for raising his voice at a lastma official. Go and tell that man about the constructive and positive work fashola is doing. Imagine u re driving and u get stopped by a police officer. He asks you for all the documents he should and u tender 'em all. Then he asks for ur id card, wch perhaps u forgot at home, picture the rest. I never said the idea was bad, but i have lived in lagos long enough to know that in the end the bad effects will outweigh the good ones if the institutions we have on ground are the same. Talking about leadership potential, i am sure ur leadership style would be ASK NO QUESTIONS!!! pscheewwww
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by babapupa: 8:42pm On Nov 25, 2009
mekusxxx:

Where did you read where I said you can have two biometric IDs? What suggested to you that I do not know the meaning and component of a biometric system?

Olodo, is it not obvious? Abeg go back to school abi your university of employment,
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by mekusxxx: 9:01pm On Nov 25, 2009
How can it be obvious to a dense-head slowpoke like you Babapupa? Common sense is not common, you know
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by tarano: 9:15pm On Nov 25, 2009
Let us explore the potential uses and benefits of a State ID card System in Lagos State. Is the system going to be compulsory or voluntary?

I believe such a State ID card system will assist in tackling matters of public concern such as crime, vagrancy, public benefits in Lagos State.
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by tunde300us(m): 10:02pm On Nov 25, 2009
@ iyeyemi do u know that even in the united states police officers intimidate and brutalise citizens that even the president at time had some harsh word for them,i know u want to ask questions but please ask questions that has some level of neutrality.
Thanks
Re: Lagos Citizens To Have State Identity Card In 2010 - Fashola by Fhemmmy: 10:11pm On Nov 25, 2009
This is a brilliant idea, and long overdue, however, how would they deal with fake IDs.
Would this mean i can call Lagos and ask ,question about any particular person ¨that is registered ¨ and they will be able to give info

That is a great idea

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Yoruba Afenifere Leaders Paid Solidarity Vist To Gbenga Daniel / Who Is Better At Leadership? GEJ Or Yar'adua. / Renewable Energy: Why Africa Looks Likely To Continue Relying On Fossil Fuels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.