Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,116 members, 7,907,063 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 10:19 PM

Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? (5303 Views)

Do You Think In English Language Or Your Mother Tongue? / Why Do Nigerians Think White People Are Ugly? / Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by MrCrackles(m): 8:11pm On Nov 27, 2009
Abso-fucking-lutely! grin
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by Leftfoot: 3:51am On Nov 28, 2009
There are a lot of words that are mispronounced that has nothing to do with accent.  There are a few silent letters in words that are not meant to be pronounced.  E.G, the T in listen, the second B in bomb and the T in mortgage.  This has nothing to do with British, Nigerian or American pronunciation.  Now were these English rules taught in Nigerian schools? Maybe maybe not.  I think the lesson that can be learn from this thread is for people to point out some of these pronunciation rules we missed in school and pass on the knowledge.
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by brooklyn99: 4:45am On Nov 28, 2009
@Left foot. thanx for the above. i couldnt have expressed my point better,
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by chiogo(f): 5:01am On Nov 28, 2009
LOL I don tire oo. It's still the accent!! Leftfoot, it's the same shit. Like the example you gave with the word 'listen', believe it or not, MOST Nigerians pronounce it with the T sounding. That's how the majority say it. It's a culture thing, sorta and accents are part of culture.

I really dunno how else to put it so y'all can get it. The whole silent thing is obviously not recognized by Africans, in general not just Nigerians. This whole argument would be more valid if we're talking about grammatical errors. Who invented the whole silent thing anyway? Just like Americans say names like "Martin" without the T, I don't think English folks do that. Are they murdering the English language too? I bet most people wouldn't think they are, going by how many people esp. Americans think the British accent is "cool". It's the accent. I rest my case. Damn, I should be studying pre-law not pre-med.  grin
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by Leftfoot: 4:11pm On Nov 28, 2009
@ chiogo  - If most Nigerians are pronouncing "listen" with the T, I will not call it a culture thing.  It looks like somewhere along the education system, someone dropped the ball.  Mind you, if the teacher does not know it, the teacher will not teach it.
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by LordReed(m): 6:03pm On Nov 28, 2009
Wat I don't get is why people like brooklyn get upset over this pronunciation thing. Just has been pointed out every country has it's own peculiarities in this regard, ever heard a typical China man speak english?

Wat is important is we understand each other and there is communication.

brooklyn99 will neither teach us to speak better english nor will he/she teach the chinese or any other peoples. He/She will go to work/business and interact with us all and as long as he/she gets his/her work done will go home and forget about the accents/pronunciations.
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by brooklyn99: 6:17pm On Nov 28, 2009
@lord reed, eeemmmm: who said i was upset?
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by chiogo(f): 10:20pm On Nov 28, 2009
Leftfoot:

@ chiogo  - If most Nigerians are pronouncing "listen" with the T, I will not call it a culture thing.  It looks like somewhere along the education system, someone dropped the ball.  Mind you, if the teacher does not know it, the teacher will not teach it.
lmao. It's no use arguing. You'll never get it.  grin By the way, this so-called English was invented by someone too, right? Most English words are a mixture of french, latin and co. So duh the original way of pronouncing the words were changed from what they were when they were still french or Latin words. It makes me laugh when Americans especially say someone can't speak English when they actually borrowed the language too, that's why they speak it differently from the British. Nigerians/Africans borrowed the language too so they speak it the way they want. Get over it! It's not lack of education when we aren't talking grammatical errors.
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by Outstrip(f): 11:14pm On Nov 28, 2009
Many Nigerians and Britons pronounce listen with the T. The T has long been dropped from it but it is still being used. If you have no English friends then watch BBC. You will here listen with the T
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by Leftfoot: 5:10am On Nov 29, 2009
@ Outstrip - Here are some on-line examples of how the following are pronounced:
listen
hasten
christen
soften
glisten

As you can see, they are all pronounced without the T.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hasten%20
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/soften
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/listen
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/christen
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/glisten
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by Outstrip(f): 5:17am On Nov 29, 2009
Leftfoot no one is disagreeing with you. I do not pronounce the Ts either but I am am pointing out that some English people pronounce the T in listen even their news reporters
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by TheSeeker(m): 12:07am On Nov 30, 2009
Talk about murdering English language, then America comes first. Everything must have an 'America' version but why? Superiority or segregation complex? Well, the poster - as I expectedly looked out for - murdered English language. The only country that speaks it the way it should be spoken is England.
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by LordReed(m): 11:12am On Nov 30, 2009
TheSeeker:

Talk about murdering English language, then America comes first. Everything must have an 'America' version but why? Superiority or segregation complex? Well, the poster - as I expectedly looked out for - murdered English language. The only country that speaks it the way it should be spoken is England.

Even the english 'murder' the english language when you begin to consider their own regional accents.
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by clemcykul(f): 1:07pm On Nov 30, 2009
can somebody explanation wat was happunin in this thread?

murdering english my foots!
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by clemcykul(f): 1:08pm On Nov 30, 2009
english is meant to be murdered, afterall its not my mother, uncle, father, or brother's tongue! grin
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by LordReed(m): 1:56pm On Nov 30, 2009
brooklyn99:

@lord reed, eeemmmm: who said i was upset?

Ur posting this topic says u are in a hair tearing tizzy.
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by platinumnk(f): 9:07pm On Nov 30, 2009
TheSeeker:

[s]Talk about murdering English language, then America comes first. Everything must have an 'America' version but why? Superiority or segregation complex? Well, the poster - as I expectedly looked out for - murdered English language. The only country that speaks it the way it should be spoken is England. [/s]

LIE of the Century shocked shocked grin
Americans make up new words every year, if it wasn't for yankee the English laungauge would be dead and unrevolving tongue tongue

Do you know how the English spoke in the 17th century? hahahahha speak like that then. tongue
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by TheSeeker(m): 11:30pm On Nov 30, 2009
platinumnk:

Americans make up new words every year, if it wasn't for yankee the English laungauge would be dead and unrevolving tongue tongue

Do you know how the English spoke in the 17th century? hahahahha speak like that then. tongue
Don't even start it. England's English language, whether you like to admit it or not, is the original and widely acceptable English language. America has a constant predilection to make their own version of everything and for what reason I don't know and don't care to know.

They turned Rugby to American soccer, they turned cricket to baseball and turned over lots of correct English language spellings to their own style and you call that invention? Sorry, but where else is American English language accepted apart of United States and Canada? Nowhere and that - in my dictionary - makes American English language a substandard lexis hence, I'll come to the decision that America first murdered English language before any other entity did. Come up with a better argument as to why America murdered English instead of telling us here that you invent new meaning of words every year and so what? Point of correction, English language (American type) is your official language but who founded America? Find that out and tell me who are the true Americans.
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by platinumnk(f): 11:57pm On Nov 30, 2009
^^So you are against revolution and evoltion? tongue tongue lipsrsealed

I for one am glad I dont talk like the King James Bible. tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by TheSeeker(m): 12:05am On Dec 01, 2009
platinumnk:

^^So you are against revolution and evoltion? tongue tongue lipsrsealed

I for one am glad I dont talk like the King James Bible. tongue tongue tongue tongue
Going by reality, my dear, America isn't improving, they are destroying - in this context - murdering an ancient language. And who said KJV was written in England's English language? Like I said, bring on a better argument grin
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by davidif: 11:07am On Dec 01, 2009
@poster
Do Nigerians Murder The English Language?

DO WESTERNERS MURDER OUR NATIVE LANGUAGES.
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by platinumnk(f): 9:07pm On Dec 01, 2009
TheSeeker:

Going by reality, my dear, America isn't improving, they are destroying - in this context - murdering an ancient language. And who said KJV was written in England's English language? Like I said, bring on a better argument grin

The English are very stubborn to introduce new words into Language. America isnt. Language as a whole evolves and changes, so what it the problem? You saying the language is Ancient, enough said. cool tongue
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by TheSeeker(m): 11:56pm On Dec 01, 2009
platinumnk:

The English are very stubborn to introduce new words into Language. America isnt. Language as a whole evolves and changes, so what it the problem? You saying the language is Ancient, enough said. cool tongue
You still haven't answered my question. OK, let me make it simpler. Besides English Language being America's official language, what's America's native language? Spanish, Portuguese? What?

Statistically, American's version of English language is not acceptable anywhere else in the world as a good version of English language, so you see what makes it substandard? Argue it anyway you want, America murders English language because with the history of how she was created, she's a vaga lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by LordReed(m): 1:32pm On Dec 02, 2009
TheSeeker:

You still haven't answered my question. OK, let me make it simpler. Besides English Language being America's official language, what's America's native language? Spanish, Portuguese? What?

Statistically, American's version of English language is not acceptable anywhere else in the world as a good version of English language, so you see what makes it substandard? Argue it anyway you want, America murders English language because with the history of how she was created, she's a vaga lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Rogue, Subversive, Revolutionary, Militant etc etc

I agree with TheSeeker.
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by TheSeeker(m): 4:58am On Dec 03, 2009
Lord_Reed:

Rogue, Subversive, Revolutionary, Militant etc etc
I agree with TheSeeker.
And also refused to pay taxes. I wonder if those IRS people know a lot about how USA was created by tax-evading militants. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by Nobody: 5:01am On Dec 03, 2009
What Americans speak is not English, sorry.
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by TheSeeker(m): 5:10am On Dec 03, 2009
^^^ Yes, they speak ItalianoEngliFrench grin
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by IYANGBALI: 6:33pm On Dec 04, 2009
who tolded you that nigerians murders english,we does not murders english we kills it because english is too expenses to learn
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by GL(f): 6:03pm On Dec 05, 2009
i think Nigerian English should be recognized as another dialect of english, just as american english is. and i also agree that americans don't really speak good english.
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by Danimos(m): 1:38am On Dec 08, 2009
Come follow me kill one big (lat) we enter my room
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by spikedcylinder: 8:58am On Dec 08, 2009
« on: November 24, 2009, 03:52 PM »
I know Nigerians are highly intelligent people and this problem i'm about to talk about[b] is[/b] not synonymous to just them (cus i know that'll be a lot of people's defence). But, is it just me or are Nigerians "murderers" when it comes to pronunciation and speaking the english language? From obviously professional people i.e my stepdad's friends, family friends etc to Nigerians i meet on a daily basis and Nollywood movies which my sisters watch diligently with their dad, it would appear that assaulting the english language is a past tim[b]e.H[/b]as anyone noticed that more than few Nigerians do not even know how to pronounce the name of their country correctly? Most call it "NINEGERIA"!!!! Then what is the deal with ascribed a totally different meaning to a word?!?!! My stepdad, for years, described bogus as something that is big/huge (he usually referred to my pants as being "too bogus"wink. Yeah, i know we americans do not speak the "proper" english; thats not the point, the point is,

Always love me a NIgerian gal

If this isn't murdering the language, I don't know what else is. undecided
Re: Do Nigerians Murder The English Language? by spikedcylinder: 9:04am On Dec 08, 2009
platinumnk:

Of course they do. They introduce phrases like:

I ain't gonna do that
You be bitching around
You was in here etc

Bastardising the beautiful language with their introductions.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Iria Festival In Okrika Rivers State(photo) / Is It Right For 2nd/3rd Daughter To Answer ADA / Why Are African Women Jealous Of Interracial Couples

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.