Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,407 members, 7,881,492 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 09:11 PM

Mathematics Versus Law - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mathematics Versus Law (8533 Views)

Poll: Which Is Most Difficult

Law: 24% (19 votes)
Mathematics: 75% (60 votes)
This poll has ended

Compare Girls Classroom Versus Boys Classroom In 1950’s In Nigeria / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / M. O Odiaka Versus Ugo C. Ugo For National Common Entrance; Your Preference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mathematics Versus Law by ebonyz: 11:54pm On Nov 24, 2009
^
true talk wink
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by bawomolo(m): 12:26am On Nov 25, 2009
Mathematics is more difficult. Math prerequisites have given college kids all over the world nightmares.
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by AloyEmeka6: 12:57am On Nov 25, 2009
On a scale of 1-10; 10 being the most difficult, if law is 4, then maths will be 10.
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by vislabraye(m): 1:17am On Nov 25, 2009
There's no comparism. mathematics is far more technical than law. I can take a semester and do very well in a law course, but i don't think any lawyer can do same in any maths course.
Most misconception people make is thinking maths is the same as arithmetic or limited to addition and substraction. When u get higher u'll begin to see many other sides in mathematics
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by funkystanl(m): 2:48am On Nov 25, 2009
Guys most of you getting it wrong. I wouldn't know what the poster had in mind but i dont want you to view it from the courses You've offered or offering in school. If you consider these two fields by profession I dont think one should be rated than the other. I'm a statistician/mathematician hoping to be a lawyer one day as i have passion for law. Looking at these two professions you'll discover that they both make use of logic and analysis. So how do you rate one than the other. Most Early mathematicians are known to be lawyers and politicians actively involved in the affairs of the state. Also in law we've got financial, corporate and tax law that deals extensively wit figures and mathematical analysis. It is in Nigeria that lawyers dont know maths. Critically looking at this a mathematician could solve a law case using his analytical skills at the same time a lawyer Who's mathematically inclined can do so. These two professions go side by side but many people dont know it and most of the professionals of these professions are stereotyped. If only we could learn from founding fathers, Mathematicians are meant to be involved in state matters givin them a way of knowing law and also lawyers are meant to be well trained in mathematics. No one should be more rated as they BASICALLY follow same principle of logical reasoning and analysis. Forget about pure applied maths stuff, abstract algebra, logic gates and others the basics is reasoning and analysis which is also much applicable in the law profession. Thanks.
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by smasher1(m): 3:04am On Nov 25, 2009
The votes shows Maths is more Difficult. 87% for Maths 13% for law. As an Industrial Mathematician I Would tell you truthfully its Maths. A Mathematician like an Accountant is needed in every establishment. A lawyer is only needed whenever a firm engages in malpractice. So many companies working for decades have no cases in the courts.
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by maedan(f): 3:11am On Nov 25, 2009
I have studied both in varying degrees and can safely say that Mathematics is definitely more difficult. This may be annoying to some, but anyone can study law and pass if they put their mind to it. But as for Mathematics (at any level) the case is far from the same.
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by manny4life(m): 3:15am On Nov 25, 2009
maedan:

I have studied both in varying degrees and can safely say that Mathematics is definitely more difficult. This may be annoying to some, but anyone can study law and pass if they put their mind to it. But as for Mathematics (at any level) the case is far from the same.

So what degrees do you have? Do you have a J.D or LL.M? Just curious, besides at what level did you study math, again I'm just curious.
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by maedan(f): 3:26am On Nov 25, 2009
When one says "degrees" you should understand it's not always in the literal sense. Though I have a physical degree in one of them (I'll leave it to your curious mind to guess which tongue cheesy), in the other, I have at least studied it to a respectable level. That's what I meant by "varying degrees".
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by manny4life(m): 3:30am On Nov 25, 2009
maedan:

When one says "degrees" you should understand it's not always in the literal sense. Though I have a physical degree in one of them (I'll leave it to your curious mind to guess which tongue cheesy), in the other, I have at least studied it to a respectable level. That's what I meant by "varying degrees".

Ok nothing offensive was just curious, and obviously I know the answer already grin grin grin
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by maedan(f): 3:37am On Nov 25, 2009
In[i]deed[/i] grin.
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by manny4life(m): 3:42am On Nov 25, 2009
maedan:

In[i]deed[/i] grin.

Like for me to tell you which is it based on your post?
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by Raymond4kc: 4:13am On Nov 25, 2009
Friends, is only one that has done mathematics in school will tell u that mathematics is not difficult (when I say mathematics, I don't mean , arithmetic u do in high/secondary school). May  be u want to rate the difficulty of mathematics base on what u have done in secondary school,  OHHH , come on, mathematics is MORE THAN THAT.

Now when we talk about mathematics, we have many areas. Consider the PURE mathematics that deals with complete abstraction (IS JUST LIKE SERVING GOD AND BELIEVING THAT GOD EXIST), u need what I call the mathematical FAITH to do that , ability to think outside the BOX and look beyond the sky. All these u do in an abstract setting. Law is a complete applied act, u see what is obtainable in the society and tow your premises in other to argue your point 'unbeatably'.
To this end, I make the following remark :

MATHEMATICS IS MORE CHALLENGING TO UNDERSTAND WHEN COMPARED TO LAW.
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by maedan(f): 4:22am On Nov 25, 2009
@manny4life, are you about to tell me what I know, or what you think?? grin grin
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by manny4life(m): 4:26am On Nov 25, 2009
My sister come down its not all that serious. I was only saying based on your previous post, I can deduct what degree you hold and the other you did " on a respectable level". What you know is what you know and I'm not disputing it.
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by maedan(f): 4:32am On Nov 25, 2009
geez, you calm down tongue. I'm just playing, not like it's serious or anything. Can't you read between the lines?? grin. You sef you take things too literally. LOL>
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by manny4life(m): 4:34am On Nov 25, 2009
I know, gat ya was just checking to c your reaction  grin grin grin
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by davidif: 6:09am On Nov 25, 2009
Even though comparing law and mathematics is like comparing apples and oranges, i would boldly study mathematics rather than law because [size=18pt]LAW IS WAAAAAAAAAY MUCH HARDER THAN MATH. [/size] unless you are going to a useless law school in Naija or in the UK.
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by switch47(m): 7:57am On Nov 25, 2009
Comparing Law and mathematics is not proper in terms of difficulty??    I do not contemplate it?
Most people here are not even qualified to attempt the question.
either they do not have a full grasp of what law is or encompass or are limited to their 1+1 (jelesimi) mathematics.
  Law is extremly wide. also involves Jurisprudence (philosophy of law) where there are no one correct answers to every question. Law is evovlving every second different ways in different civilisation, and directly touching human life.
   Maths evolve but much slower. BUT I STILL WONT contemplate which is harder. it is not a wise question if the maths and the law is not narrowed down> Law is deeper than what you see daily. Law involve the abstract too. even mathematics has laws governing it saw does physics and life itself. Law is everything

eg. 100 level law   vs 100 level mathematics in a particular university  but it will be folly to make it a universal question.

Posted by: smasher1 

The votes shows Maths is more Difficult. 87% for Maths 13% for law. As an Industrial Mathematician I Would tell you truthfully its Maths. A Mathematician like an Accountant is needed in every establishment. A lawyer is only needed whenever a firm engages in malpractice. So many companies working for decades have no cases in the courts.      

switch says  -   TOTAL IGNORANCE!! (and lots of nairalanders like you do not know what law is all about) and sadly even some lawyers who think law is al about law cases. check the functions of the legal advisers of companies, in -house lawyers of banks and other companies getting involved in the day to day activities of the company. LAW is extremly wide involving even the jurisprudence of the living oracle. Laws of God,Law is also a kind of science and social science and also an art. like i said for you to say maths is more difficult you most first know how wide law is!!
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by olokodan1: 8:55am On Nov 25, 2009
As everybody knows mathematics gave birth 2 everyone of us.no arguing and comment.because without calculation nobody will on earth.mathematics is everything.In conclusion mathematics is more difficult than law[b][/b]
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 25, 2009
As we know that whatever we identify with is what we defend, learned fellows give it up, there are equations in maths that has not been solved till date, will u offer a helping hand, I send you one[b][/b]
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 25, 2009
switch47:

Comparing Law and mathematics is not proper in terms of difficulty??    I do not contemplate it?
Most people here are not even qualified to attempt the question.
either they do not have a full grasp of what law is or encompass or are limited to their 1+1 (jelesimi) mathematics.
  Law is extremly wide. also involves Jurisprudence (philosophy of law) where there are no one correct answers to every question. Law is evovlving every second different ways in different civilisation, and directly touching human life.
   Maths evolve but much slower. BUT I STILL WONT contemplate which is harder. it is not a wise question if the maths and the law is not narrowed down> Law is deeper than what you see daily. Law involve the abstract too. even mathematics has laws governing it saw does physics and life itself. Law is everything

eg. 100 level law   vs 100 level mathematics in a particular university  but it will be folly to make it a universal question.

Posted by: smasher1 

switch says  -   TOTAL IGNORANCE!! (and lots of nairalanders like you do not know what law is all about) and sadly even some lawyers who think law is al about law cases. check the functions of the legal advisers of companies, in -house lawyers of banks and other companies getting involved in the day to day activities of the company. LAW is extremly wide involving even the jurisprudence of the living oracle. Laws of God,Law is also a kind of science and social science and also an art. like i said for you to say maths is more difficult you most first know how wide law is!!

Dear qualified one, have you taken maths to court before, but need I mention cases were laws were not found credible? you are logically seizing the theories, quoth-ems,  equations of mathematics to 'law' as a discipline. Totally wrong, are you qualified on both sides to talk about them, are you a qualified mathematician? Don't bring logic discuss that will say a cloth is black when its blue, abi no be law?, only a few cases law can be proven right? Its assertion can't never be certain, I know law for that? Is it not a form of law politicians and the western politicians ride on their citizenry's intelligence? if it is not so why do they keep changing law after law?
                                                                           BUT
Maths is all about solving, proving it is solved and how you went about it, a way that all see and ultimately concur it is right, it can never be changed but improved to a higher standard. By so doing it comes so tedious and brain tasking, thus many running from it, like you

Finally I want you to compare the Mayan civilization who were masterly mathematicians or the Egyptians who used numbers in mystics to develop their time to the era of the Greeks who were logicians and law masters, I know they brought democracy but it sucks.

Lastly the law of God abeg is not that of Man oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, credibility is 100% found in that of God not Man
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by demmix(m): 10:12am On Nov 25, 2009
Has anyone ever seen the series NUMB3RS
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by kech(f): 10:15am On Nov 25, 2009
grin grin All these Lawyers want to come and confuse person here. Before who go talk say im profession no difficult. Look,  no be to blow grammar. You guys are here saying. "Law goes above and beyond.  Law is wide, Law is vast. Law is a Science, Law is an Art." The next thing you'll start saying "Law is Quantum Mathematics, Law built the car you drive, Law solved the issue of aerodynamics, Law translated binary codes for programs and computers you use today. Law is brain surgery. In fact, if you quote section 200 of surgery law, the brain will heal itself." Come on guys. You don't even want to go there, because we all know mathematics has different areas I dare not even mention. Or maybe the name "Mathematics" is decieving you. You think it's the SSCE or JAMB maths you got into law school with?  shocked shocked This is not a fight or a competition. I agree that Law is difficult to study/comprehend, but mathematics has a higher difficulty level. Why is it so hard to concede that fact? No be to form bravado oh! No amount of argument and contest can change what already is. This one is black and white. And NO!, I refuse to take the diplomatic route by saying "They are equal because they are both difficult in their own way."  We all know that's not true. No two things can be the same.
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by zebra(m): 10:18am On Nov 25, 2009
Mathematics appears to be more difficult than Law, but i still believe Law on its own is not as easy as some people think. I'm a Statistician; during my school days, I was able to pass most of  my maths/stats courses like Calculus, Linear algebra, DE, Statistical theory, sampling techniques, Mathematical modelling, Programming, etc easily by obeying the rules of mathematics (those rules are actually not easy). I got "A" in some of those courses. But coming to courses lake Law, International Relations, Citizenship, etc, the highest i ever got was "C". But that does not mean that Law is more difficult than Matheamtics. I believe it is what your mind and brain wants that matters.

I just love figures
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 25, 2009
that's it, you just love figures,
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by Nobody: 10:41am On Nov 25, 2009
kech:

grin grin All these Lawyers want to come and confuse person here. Before who go talk say im profession no difficult. Look,  no be to blow grammar. You guys are here saying. "Law goes above and beyond.  Law is wide, Law is vast. Law is a Science, Law is an Art." The next thing you'll start saying "Law is Quantum Mathematics, Law built the car you drive, Law solved the issue of aerodynamics, Law translated binary codes for programs and computers you use today. Law is brain surgery. In fact, if you quote section 200 of surgery law, the brain will heal itself." Come on guys. You don't even want to go there, because we all know mathematics has different areas I dare not even mention. Or maybe the name "Mathematics" is decieving you. You think it's the SSCE or JAMB maths you got into law school with?  shocked shocked This is not a fight or a competition. I agree that Law is difficult to study/comprehend, but mathematics has a higher difficulty level. Why is it so hard to concede that fact? No be to form bravado oh! No amount of argument and contest can change what already is. This one is black and white. And NO!, I refuse to take the diplomatic route by saying "They are equal because they are both difficult in their own way."  We all know that's not true. No two things can be the same.

I love this girl in other words its all about charge and bail grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by switch47(m): 10:51am On Nov 25, 2009
@Ranks007
    Law vs maths which is more difficult/ challenging    is at best remains a question without an answer. its a question to be thrown to Dogs, and attempting to prove one is more difficult is a fruitless excercise, futile and for the idle minds.

whether its law as a disciplne or not. it always involves jusisprudence as a science, Art, social science, Divine Laws islamic laws, customary Laws, too which is all covered under the philosophy of law which has no limited scope OF COURSE i do not expect the Honourable laymen and the ignoramus here to understand what law is. all they think is court. how naive. grin grin

in the Election Petitions case of
AWOLOWO v. SHAGARI (1979) NSCC 87   the pertinent issue to determine was  
Whether under section 34 (A) (l) (c) (ii) of the Electoral Decree, two- thirds of a state is synonymous with two - thirds of the total votes cast in that state or the . votes cast in two - thirds of votes cast in the territorial or physical areas of the state.

What could a professor of mathematics prove when he was brought to court?? it was beyond him.  shocked shocked he was in a state of gbologus gbalangas!! grin grin grin before the honourable court!!    just kidding. grin grin

Decision:

The Supreme Court held that it is the duty of the Legislature to interpret the words as used by the Legislature. Even if the words are ambiguous, the liberty of the court to travel outside it is strictly limited.[b] The court held 2/3 of 19 States to be twelve two-thirds.  any objection
??[/b] cheesy cheesy cheesy  especially from the mathematicians in the house?  WHAT IS two third of 19 state?? grin
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by azeezengr(m): 12:47pm On Nov 25, 2009
It takes Chike Obi to solve a judicial equation of 12-2/3, hope u guys remember? Mathematician is helping the LEARNED MEN tongue
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by switch47(m): 1:38pm On Nov 25, 2009
@azeezengr
expert opinion is admissible is law whether mathematician , Doctor, scientist or shoe maker. no big deal. and in this case- did he realy help? nope. booom!!!! grin grin
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by Nobody: 1:48pm On Nov 25, 2009
switch47:

@Ranks007
    Law vs maths which is more difficult/ challenging    is at best remains a question without an answer. its a question to be thrown to Dogs, and attempting to prove one is more difficult is a fruitless excercise, futile and for the idle minds.

whether its law as a disciplne or not. it always involves jusisprudence as a science, Art, social science, Divine Laws islamic laws, customary Laws, too which is all covered under the philosophy of law which has no limited scope OF COURSE i do not expect the Honourable laymen and the ignoramus here to understand what law is. all they think is court. how naive. grin grin

in the Election Petitions case of
AWOLOWO v. SHAGARI (1979) NSCC 87   the pertinent issue to determine was  
Whether under section 34 (A) (l) (c) (ii) of the Electoral Decree, two- thirds of a state is synonymous with two - thirds of the total votes cast in that state or the . votes cast in two - thirds of votes cast in the territorial or physical areas of the state.

What could a professor of mathematics prove when he was brought to court?? it was beyond him.  shocked shocked he was in a state of gbologus gbalangas!! grin grin grin before the honourable court!!    just kidding. grin grin

Decision:

The Supreme Court held that it is the duty of the Legislature to interpret the words as used by the Legislature. Even if the words are ambiguous, the liberty of the court to travel outside it is strictly limited.[b] The court held 2/3 of 19 States to be twelve two-thirds.  any objection
??[/b] cheesy cheesy cheesy  especially from the mathematicians in the house?  WHAT IS two third of 19 state?? grin

Its good that you are using the logic meant for it now abi? Trying to win a lost case already. All this grammar does not move me. You have only succeeded to fool who ever reads this tread. I realized over the years that barely would you see an SAN grammar his sentences, I hope azeezengr has answered your question, I put it to you once again how many such cases is seen?
Re: Mathematics Versus Law by maedan(f): 2:48pm On Nov 25, 2009
The question should have been, which is harder to pass tongue?? Because judging by even the entry-level maths used for uni's all over the world, numeracy is far harder to overcome than the other theoretical skills.

And PS, whether in Yale, Harvard or AAU Ekpoma, Law is law and it's a fantastic course but far far far easier than Mathematics!! QED tongue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

If You Fail This Test, Then Stop Posting Here / Chevron Scholarship Shortlisted Candidates Let's Meet Here! / List Of Nigeria University And Their Current School Fees (2020)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.