Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,410 members, 7,901,138 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 12:59 AM

January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers (68046 Views)

Plateau: How Nigerian Govt Encourage Murderers – Amnesty International / Victor Banjo, The Yoruba Biafran Soldier: What You Don't Know About The Lt. Col. / January 15,1966 Coup:conversation Between Lt.col Pam And His Murderers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by johntolu: 9:22am On Jan 17, 2017
logica:
Madam, which rule was there that the Archbishop couldn't witness the arrest of Okpara? Secondly, did the Archbishop pay a surprise visit to Okpara? You mean they were not aware he had plans to visit Okpara and therefore postpone the operation till a more conducive day? You mean you cannot see how watery these excuses are? I shouldn't be surprised though.

God dey! The coupists could not arrest and execute Chief Michael Okpara because of the visit of a Pastor but they could assassinate Gen. Ademulegun.
His pregnant wife was also executed, when she protested her husband's execution.
It was also easy to track down Gen. Maimalari and
had him executed after his initial escape from the coupists, when they came to his house, but it was extremely difficult to track down Gen. Ironsi.
Ditto for the other Igbo military and political leaders.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by Qelvin(m): 9:31am On Jan 17, 2017
logica:
Whatever your view of the invasion of the Midwest, it turned out to be a wrong move as most military analysts have concluded. The Federal Forces who were initially dilly-dallying woke up and focused. Secondly it turned the hitherto neutral Midwest and Southwest against Biafra.
The Midwest invasion was more of an ideological war than a physical one, whatever personal ambitions Ojukwu nursed will forever be left for history to judge, but one thing is certain...if the old Midwest and Western region had aligned with the Biafran forces who deemed themselves a "Liberation" force at the time, the southern unity would surely have destroyed the Northern hegemony, cause it's a common fact that the Northern soldiers controlled Lagos and parts of the West and Midwest at the time, as they were still stationed in both regions while they were repatriated from the East...today we now still the same situation where all the administrative, military, and executive tiers of government are controlled by the Northerners with yorubas playing second fiddle in the power sharing formula. I'm not even for Southern unity at these point cause we definitely can't sit around the round table and work out our differences, it's just the Igbos who still invest in all parts of Nigeria in the spirit of some preposterous One Nigeria spirit that I pity the most, cause when yawa gas...it will be "to thine tents o Isreal " all over again.
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by logica(m): 9:42am On Jan 17, 2017
Qelvin:

if the old Midwest and Western region had aligned with the Biafran forces who deemed themselves a "Liberation" force at the time
I am glad you put the "Liberation" in quote because you cannot be liberating anything with a group of untrained, marauding boys camouflaging as soldiers. The Yorubas are no slouches in warfare in any case and needed no liberation. Awolowo was already planning a meeting with Ojukwu on the way forward when he caught wind of the Midwest invasion and quickly backtracked. You claim you want to forge an alliance while your actions say the opposite. Of course as they say, the rest is history.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by seunmsg(m): 10:08am On Jan 17, 2017
progress69:

Bro. U making sense for the first time. If u can keep it up. grin
But i still feel Nigeria should forget the past and move forward. We can not judge one tribe cos of some misguided silly ones as we see on NL too

We can only forgive and move on, we can never forget.

1 Like

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by fourthworld: 10:32am On Jan 17, 2017
raumdeuter:

Yet your forefathers were the ones who decided we must be in Nigeria together, No Yoruba wants to live in the same sphere as you rather its you leeches who cant survive without Yorubs. Go to your village right now, go to the car park and see how many of your cousins are running away. I can tell you 60% of them are running to Yorubaland and fleeing your cursed land

hahahha, between those begging Buhari for 5000 naira out of hunger and those that don't need the fucking 5000 naira who are cursed. Leeches; North; food basket of the nation, SS; breadwinner of the nation. South East; economic engine room of the nation; South west? beggars, leeches, parasites, hypocrites, ass lickers, omoniles, attachment by force; cursed people constituting nuisance to Nigeria. I pray this country divide so that you people will be exposed for the failures you are. Without Igbos that your useless Lagos will amount to nothing. Yours so called IGR is generated by the igbos you ingrate. Your Port and Airport that generates almost 80% of your IGR whose goods are cleared in your makeshift Ports? Igbos. Who travel the most in Nigeria? Igbos, eghu canned beer. Soon we will leave you to crumble fast since you are insulting the spoon that feed you useless monkeys
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by costal(m): 10:43am On Jan 17, 2017
Dis country is mess up
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by Dedetwo(m): 10:54am On Jan 17, 2017
Qelvin:

In war every form of neutrality is truncated the moment you invade another man's land, the Midwest was there for the taking because it was still deemed federal territory at the time, if Nigeria didn't fire the first shot at Ogoja and Garkem, there won't have been a Midwest invasion.
Ore saw no significant battle, Biafran troops stalled there thanks to Victor Banjo who was the worst possible character to even lead an attack of such importance in the first place, it's like asking a demon to lead an army of demons to upstage the devil at the gate of hell...very absurd...in war time and momentum are very important, we lost that by failing to press our advantage and paid the price by buying the Federal side enough time to reorganize and counter attack a force led by a clueless traitor.

We lost the Midwest but Muritala paid the price at Onitsha and Abagana, losing almost 10,000 troops just to capture a town is a pyrrhic way to console yourself as a commanders, little wonder he quit and returned to Lagos a defeated man.

Please try to understand that Midwestern region was never neutral from the point of Aburi, Ghana consultation to the point of police action. The three regional governors of north, west and midwest colluded with Gowon and Nigeria to precipitate war against east. Midwestern region became the launch pad of Gowon and Nigerian federal troops to attack eastern region especially in the capture of Ubani (Bonny).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by Qelvin(m): 10:57am On Jan 17, 2017
logica:
I am glad you put the "Liberation" in quote because you cannot be liberating anything with a group of untrained, marauding boys camouflaging as soldiers. The Yorubas are no slouches in warfare in any case and needed no liberation. Awolowo was already planning a meeting with Ojukwu on the way forward when he caught wind of the Midwest invasion and quickly backtracked. You claim you want to forge an alliance while your actions say the opposite. Of course as they say, the rest is history.
The war itself was avoidable, it's a sad part of our history that will haunt the nation forever, I wouldn't know why Ojukwu invaded the Midwest, the only thing that makes sense to me would be that reasons could be political, to reach out to the Western and Midwestern regional leaders in an effort to forget a tie for Southern solidarity, if the invasion was simply for his personal gain,then may history judge him..but then he is dead now, and still remains a symbol of heroism and honor to the Igbo nation for at least standing up to for his people due to the cataclysm of killings of his people, all this in spite of his flaws...both sides made mistakes, and unfortunately millions had to die for the obstinacy of two young military gentlemen..Gowon and Ojukwu.
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by logica(m): 11:23am On Jan 17, 2017
Qelvin:

The war itself was avoidable, it's a sad part of our history that will haunt the nation forever, I wouldn't know why Ojukwu invaded the Midwest, the only thing that makes sense to me would be that reasons could be political, to reach out to the Western and Midwestern regional leaders in an effort to forget a tie for Southern solidarity, if the invasion was simply for his personal gain,then may history judge him..but then he is dead now, and still remains a symbol of heroism and honor to the Igbo nation for at least standing up to for his people due to the cataclysm of killings of his people, all this in spite of his flaws...both sides made mistakes, and unfortunately millions had to die for the obstinacy of two young military gentlemen..Gowon and Ojukwu.
I like your tone; but just to set the records straight, the only obstinate young man was Ojukwu. Gowon did everything he could to avoid war. There was absolutely no reason to push into the Midwest; it was a rash and ill-calculated move especially given the fact that dialog was afoot. It then appeared the move for dialog was nothing but a subterfuge/diversion. That is not how to wage a war.

1 Like

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by aiboss: 12:46pm On Jan 17, 2017
Dedetwo:

It is not the most authoritative regarding the first Nigerian coup by a wide margin. The "Five Majors" by the Ben Gbulie is ultra-authoritative regarding the first Nigerian coup.

Please kindly read where my comment says "...one of the most..." I know there are other similar accounts out there like that of Alexander Madiebo and others; that of Adewale is just one of them. We have all been gullible of the make-believe poem the government has fed us over time, thats why I started my research to understand things from "the condenmed" angle. Its unfortunate that most Yorubas out of competitive instinct against the Igbos have refused to read and acknowledge the truth. But to me, its not a problem, Time is all that holds the truth but it cant stop it!
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by onedayatime(m): 1:26pm On Jan 17, 2017
Ngozi123:

He was also, like many other British journalists, working undercover for the British government, which both explicitly and implicitly supported the Nigerian Army. Perhaps, that makes his account more balanced. Read Max Siollun's book about the coups, that is, if you haven't already.

There was a coup in the Eastern region... it just didn't succeed due to various reasons.

how is Frederick Forsyth to Ojukwu?

1 Like

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by onedayatime(m): 2:23pm On Jan 17, 2017
Ngozi123:

Dennis Osadebay, the Igbo Premier, was placed under house arrest and Michael Okpara, the Premier of the Eastern Region, was also arrested. However, Okpara's arrest was delayed by the fact that he was hosting the Head of State of Cyprus, Archbishop Makarios. Had it not been for this, he would have been arrested much quicker and maybe Ironsi wouldn't have had enough time to send Lt-Colonel Ejoor to the East to quell the coup there. You see, Ironsi was already in Lagos when this happened and so was aware of the coup going on there. Essentially, it's almost impossible to plan these things to perfection.

Also, the main coup plotter in the East, Lieutenant Oguchi, was one of the soldiers who advocated for a bloodless coup so he may have been apprehensive to kill them so quickly. I honestly believe that had Ifeajuna caught wind of this, he would have ordered them to execute them immediately but this couldn't happen because there wasn't enough time. Many of the other military leaders/politicians were arrested before they were executed.
bravo, lovely. You will make a good house wife by covering your husband's mistake.
You mean the coup plotters don't know that the ArchBishop of Cyprus was in Nigeria to have postpone the coup? But they could attacked and killed Akintola who just returned from his visit to Ahmadu Bello?
okpara's ArchBishop meeting was also the reason he helped Ifeajuna escaped to Ghana. Perfect. I love this your moonlight one sided story.
Part of the reasons why no Ibos lost their in the coup except the one who was close to Maimalari and would not realease keys to the armoury(Unegbe) was also the reason why Azikiwe was on a health trip to Caribean? the substantive President, Nnamdi Azikiwe, also of eastern
origin, had left the country in late 1965 first for Europe,
then on a health cruise to the caribbean, after allegedly
being tipped off by his cousin, Major Ifeajuna, one of the
masterminds of the coup and, some say, overall leader. You know they are part of the good reasons why Ibo politicians never lost their lives? More reasons? I still need more from you...
But let me add this to i( reflect on it and they are words from Nzeogwu...
Major Ifeajuna was later to be accused by Major Patrick
Nzeogwu, leader of northern operations, of bungling or
ignoring an apparent understanding to assassinate General
Ironsi in Lagos - an oversight, or "misguided
consideration" (to use Nzeogwu's words) that caused the
failure of the coup. Indeed, Nzeogwu bluntly declared publicly that the execution of the coup in the South was
tribalistic. Captain Emmanuel Nwobosi (rtd), leader of
operations in the Western region, has since corroborated
the view that operations in Lagos were compromised by
nepotism.
For this and other reasons, over the years, some
analysts have come to view Nzeogwu, who was recruited two full months after the plot was already in progress, as a
tool in a plot he never fully understood. Indeed, in offering
condolences for the death of the Sardauna of Sokoto, ex-
Senate President Nwafor Orizu told Alhaji Shehu Shagari
that Major Nzeogwu was "an unknown entity among the
Ibos (sic) in the Eastern region."

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by thinkative: 2:59pm On Jan 17, 2017
effty:
Including the ones fired into the air right? Don't be a joke.
man was shot dead and his body riddled with bullets. His son said he was shot in 13 times (obviously deduced from the entry wounds on the corpse). Yet, you keep harping on about the shots fired in the air.
how the heck does that matter?

3 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by logica(m): 3:04pm On Jan 17, 2017
thinkative:
Yet, you keep harping on about the shots fired in the air.
I guess you didn't figure that he was there! How else did he know there were shots fired in the air?
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by effty(m): 3:27pm On Jan 17, 2017
thinkative:
man was shot dead and his body riddled with bullets. His son said he was shot in 13 times (obviously deduced from the entry wounds on the corpse). Yet, you keep harping on about the shots fired in the air.
how the heck does that matter?
Keep deducing to urself. How old was the son then? A bleeping toddler.
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by Olaolufred(m): 3:30pm On Jan 17, 2017
Qelvin:

Ojukwu was a power hungry boy or young man.

But you are trying to defend the indefensible.

No man can bring you into his course by only invading your teritory.

Is like fulani herdsmen entering umunnede, and claiming they only want to bring the umunnedes into their liberation course.

That is a stupid move. All the herdsmen like ojukwu needs to do is to first dialogue and win the people to their side. Then the poeple will give him passage and support.

Till today, majority of ibo men i know, including our tenants and neighbours like to usurp people's right.
and expect the person to keep quiet.
As soon as the person react, they tag him enemy, onyeojo, afonja, or cow.

What ojukwu lacked is what many of his kinsmen lacked till today, " ability to respect others".

If ojukwu have the right to decide going to war, others have a right to choose where they stand.

5 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by raumdeuter: 3:52pm On Jan 17, 2017
fourthworld:
hahahha, between those begging Buhari for 5000 naira out of hunger and those that don't need the fucking 5000 naira who are cursed. Leeches; North; food basket of the nation, SS; breadwinner of the nation. South East; economic engine room of the nation; South west? beggars, leeches, parasites, hypocrites, ass lickers, omoniles, attachment by force; cursed people constituting nuisance to Nigeria. I pray this country divide so that you people will be exposed for the failures you are. Without Igbos that your useless Lagos will amount to nothing. Yours so called IGR is generated by the igbos you ingrate. Your Port and Airport that generates almost 80% of your IGR whose goods are cleared in your makeshift Ports? Igbos. Who travel the most in Nigeria? Igbos, eghu canned beer. Soon we will leave you to crumble fast since you are insulting the spoon that feed you useless monkeys

Without Ibo Lagos is useless yet you cannot create anything remotely close to Lagos where you are coming from.

3 Likes

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by Qelvin(m): 4:17pm On Jan 17, 2017
Olaolufred:

Ojukwu was a power hungry boy or young man.

But you are trying to defend the indefensible.

No man can bring you into his course by only invading your teritory.

Is like fulani herdsmen entering umunnede, and claiming they only want to bring the umunnedes into their liberation course.

That is a stupid move. All the herdsmen like ojukwu needs to do is to first dialogue and win the people to their side. Then the poeple will give him passage and support.

Till today, majority of ibo men i know, including our tenants and neighbours like to usurp people's right.
and expect the person to keep quiet.
As soon as the person react, they tag him enemy, onyeojo, afonja, or cow.

What ojukwu lacked is what many of his kinsmen lacked till today, " ability to respect others".

If ojukwu have the right to decide going to war, others have a right to choose where they stand.
Okay I get it... Ojukwu was the bad guy and Gowon and the rest of Nigerians were the saints abi? the lack of knowledge sure breeds ignorance of the incurable type, it's sad lots of young folks in our generation are infested with that disease called myopia, you only see things from your own lens of bias, nothing else makes sense to you even when the truth stares back at you... in hindsight, the storm started to gather at the famous Aburi accord which your leaders of thought all with their eyes open agreed upon ab initio,and then reneged on when they realized they suddenly had the interest of One Nigeria at heart...Ojukwu proposed confederation, all units move slightly apart and the concentration of power at the center weakened, in other words resource control...he was a man who saw tomorrow, unfortunately the men whom he dialogued with lacked the foresight and intellect to keep their own side of the bargain, that was where the civil war started, right at Aburi in Ghana, and as for your warped illustration with herdsmen and Ojukwu, it's mutually exclusive to the point cause while herdsmen attack innocent people in unprovoked circumstances, Biafrans just wanted to be left alone peacefully, until you attacked them and they decided to defend themselves...and dude your so called Igbo tenants simply know their rights as free citizens, as long as they pay their rents and don't look for your trouble then don't bother about them SIMPLE.
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by Qelvin(m): 4:34pm On Jan 17, 2017
johntolu:

God dey! The coupists could not arrest and execute Chief Michael Okpara because of the visit of a Pastor but they could assassinate Gen. Ademulegun.
His pregnant wife was also executed, when she protested her husband's execution.
It was also easy to track down Gen. Maimalari and
had him executed after his initial escape from the coupists when they came to his house but it was extremely difficult to track down Gen. Ironsi.
Ditto for the other Igbo military and political leaders.
Colonel Unegbe an Igbo officer was killed, Ironsi another Igbo officer crushed the coup along with other notable Igbo officers...these are also documented facts, but I do agree that the execution of the coup in the South was very brutal and cold blooded, it bore a strong hint of personal beef, all the facts you listed do make it reek of an Igbo coup with ethnic sentiments strongly behind it, but then several reputable sources quoted the reason for the coup was to ultimately secure the release of Awolowo from prison and make him president, truth is we might never know the true motive behind the January coup, yet one thing I know for sure is that the general reaction to the coup especially in the whole south was one of celebration, at the time nobody saw it as an "Igbo" coup.
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by Olaolufred(m): 4:42pm On Jan 17, 2017
Qelvin:

Okay I get it... Ojukwu was the bad guy and Gowon and the rest of Nigerians were the saints abi? the lack of knowledge sure breeds ignorance of the incurable type, it's sad lots of young folks in our generation are infested with that disease called myopia, you only see things from your own lens of bias, nothing else makes sense to you even when the truth stares back at you... in hindsight, the storm started to gather at the famous Aburi accord which your leaders of thought all with their eyes open agreed upon ab initio,and then reneged on when they realized they suddenly had the interest of One Nigeria at heart...Ojukwu proposed confederation, all units move slightly apart and the concentration of power at the center weakened, in other words resource control...he was a man who saw tomorrow, unfortunately the men whom he dialogued with lacked the foresight and intellect to keep their own side of the bargain, that was where the civil war started, right at Aburi in Ghana, and as for your warped illustration with herdsmen and Ojukwu, it's mutually exclusive to the point cause while herdsmen attack innocent people in unprovoked circumstances, Biafrans just wanted to be left alone peacefully, until you attacked them and they decided to defend themselves...and dude your so called Igbo tenants simply know their rights as free citizens, as long as they pay their rents and don't look for your trouble then don't bother about them SIMPLE.

The disease of myopia affects you, but you won't accept it.
The same regional controlled govt. that was destroyed by a fulani called Aguiyi ironsi. who scrapped regional govt. for a solitary one. Check for when states were created in place of regions, and note the name f the fulani man behind it.
If the self imposed african jews could see tomorow through ojukwu, how about the fulani man called ironsi who was blind to tomorow by destroying any regional establishment.

I know some people like to speak from both side of their mouth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by raumdeuter: 4:44pm On Jan 17, 2017
Qelvin:

Colonel Unegbe an Igbo officer was killed, Ironsi another Igbo officer crushed the coup along with other notable Igbo officers...these are also documented facts, but I do agree that the execution of the coup in the South was very brutal and cold blooded, it bore a strong hint of personal beef, all the facts you listed do make it reek of an Igbo coup with ethnic sentiments strongly behind it, but then several reputable sources quoted the reason for the coup was to ultimately secure the release of Awolowo from prison and make him president, truth is we might never know the true motive behind the January coup, yet one thing I know for sure is that the general reaction to the coup especially in the whole south was one of celebration, at the time nobody saw it as an "Igbo" coup.

The brutality of the coup was only towards the non Ibos. Michael Okpara was drinking tea with Ifeajuna hours later. The same Ifeajuna who was brutally mauling every non Ibos down in Lagos, suddenly found a refuge in the house of Okpara,

All the brutality fizzled out when they saw Ibo politicians like Osadebey and Okpara. Shebi Ibo ministers filled the cabinet how come non of them was killed example like Jaja Wachuku

Below is an exceprt from the Jan 15 night. Now[b][/b] read and understand how treacherous those ibo people are. Balewa was dealing with Wachuku with one mind while him was planning with coupist. Jaja

The Prime Minister, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, who had high respect and a soft spot for Jaja Wachuku pleaded with him to reinstate Blankson and accept another ministry. Wachuku refused. Balewa even asked his wife Rhoda Idu Jaja Wachuku to plead with him, yet he refused and tendered his resignation from Parliament and as an Executive Member of Government midday 14 January 1966. Balewa was yet to accept Wachuku's resignation when the army struck by mid-night; barely 12 hours later – thus ushering in the era of military coups in Nigeria. Wachuku's official residence, at 7, Okotie-Eboh Street Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria, was surrounded by soldiers. His younger brother: Kennedy Madu Wachuku, father of Ugonna Wachuku was with him that day, Jaja Wachuku looked through the window in the early hours of the morning and asked the soldiers: "What are you boys doing here?" One of the soldiers replied: "Good morning, Sir. But haven't you heard what is happening in the country?" To which Wachuku replied: "Yes. I know you boys have taken over the Government." And the soldier said: "Do not be afraid, Sir. We have come to protect you for being an honest Government Minister." Jaja Wachuku survived the military coup.

Read that and tell me this is not an Ibo power grab

1 Like

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by Qelvin(m): 4:54pm On Jan 17, 2017
raumdeuter:

The brutality of the coup was only towards the non Ibos. Michael Okpara was drinking tea with Ifeajuna hours later. The same Ifeajuna who was brutally mauling every non Ibos down in Lagos, suddenly found a refuge in the house of Okpara,

All the brutality fizzled out when they saw Ibo politicians like Osadebey and Okpara. Shebi Ibo ministers filled the cabinet how come non of them was killed example like Jaja Wachuku

Below is an exceprt from the Jan 15 night. Now[b][/b] read and understand how treacherous those ibo people are. Balewa was dealing with Wachuku with one mind while him was planning with coupist. Jaja

Read that and tell me this is not an Ibo power grab
Do you know Northern soldiers participated in the killing of revered leaders from their region...hint, one was a prime minister and other the Sarduana of sokoto, I posted a link for you to read about the coup in depth, a book written by a Northerner! not sure if that was for you to read, read the book by Max Siollun titled 'oil politics and violence in Nigeria" and you will be surprised at how you've missed out on the truth of that coup.
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by raumdeuter: 5:03pm On Jan 17, 2017
Qelvin:

Do you know Northern soldiers participated in the killing of revered leaders from their region...hint, one was a prime minister and other the Sarduana of sokoto, I posted a link for you to read about the coup in depth, a book written by a Northerner! not sure if that was for you to read, read the book by Max Siollun titled 'oil politics and violence in Nigeria" and you will be surprised at how you've missed out on the truth of that coup.

Nzeogwu led the delegation to kill Sardauna

This is a video with Nzeogwu telling how they killed Sardauna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBKCgPMzrjI

And for the killing of Balewa the Prime minister

“His orderly who was an Igbo officer led soldiers into the house around 2am that night, and they went straight to his room and knocked. They told him that soldiers wanted to stage a coup and that he should follow them to safety. He said he wasn’t going anywhere and that he prefers to remain with his family, but they forced him to go with them. That was the last time they saw him. He said a short prayer and followed them. For six days, no one could tell us where he was.”
“But the morning after the coup, we all heard that the Premier of the Northern region, Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Sardauna of Sokoto had been killed.
Read more at http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/feature/my-husband-was-tricked-and-taken-away-by-his-orderly-late-tafawa-balewa-s-wife/134122.html#CxRWyQVBTXf0RydP.99
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by thinkative: 6:04pm On Jan 17, 2017
logica:
I guess you didn't figure that he was there! How else did he know there were shots fired in the air?
Lol. I tire for the guy. he can't seem to grasp that you don't have to be there for you to know how many times a man was shot.
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by nku5: 6:35pm On Jan 17, 2017
johntolu:

God dey! The coupists could not arrest and execute Chief Michael Okpara because of the visit of a Pastor but they could assassinate Gen. Ademulegun

Archbishop Makarios wasnt just a pastor, he was the president of Cyprus. A sovereign European country and member of the commonwealth. A twenty something year old Lt. Jerome Oguchi would have been scared stiff at causing an international incident.

1 Like

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by logica(m): 6:48pm On Jan 17, 2017
nku5:

Archbishop Makarios wasnt just a pastor, he was the president of Cyprus. A sovereign European country and member of the commonwealth. A twenty something year old Lt. Jerome Oguchi would have been scared stiff at causing an international incident.
So he sneaked into the country to visit abi? They were not aware he was visiting when they initiated the coup?
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by nku5: 6:54pm On Jan 17, 2017
logica:
So he sneaked into the country to visit abi? They were not aware he was visiting when they initiated the coup?

The Archbishop was just one of many presidents of commonwealth nations that were in Nigeria that period for the commonwealth summit. Moreover if you read accounts by the masterminds of the coup like Adewale Ademoyega you will see that the coup plotters overlooked many details like these

1 Like

Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by logica(m): 7:21pm On Jan 17, 2017
nku5:

The Archbishop was just one of many presidents of commonwealth nations that were in Nigeria that period for the commonwealth summit. Moreover if you read accounts by the masterminds of the coup like Adewale Ademoyega you will see that the coup plotters overlooked many details like these
They were in Lagos right?
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by Ngozi123(f): 8:06pm On Jan 17, 2017
nku5:

Thank you for reiterating this fact. I already said that he was also the Head of State. The man was supposed to have left by the time the coup started. The delay was only a few hours- how on earth could anyone have prepared for that? Also people don't seem to realise that Ironsi was supposed to have been killed by then so they really didn't expect him sending Ejoor to quell the rebellion, thereby making this delay less important in their view at the time. We all have the benefit of hindsight and should be mindful of such.

Cc: logica, onedayatime, johntolu etc.
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by raumdeuter: 10:11pm On Jan 17, 2017
Coupist were concerned about a president in Enugu, but werent bothered about the many diplomatic community members in Lagos where they carried out murders
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by ImperialYoruba: 10:38pm On Jan 17, 2017
nku5:

You call Ademoyega a mastermind of the coup. He was smarter than your Ibo coupists, not single blood is traced to his hand. As a mastermind of a plot that was heck lot of smartness and leadership to command all those Ibos to commit murder while he himself remained stainless!
Re: January 15,1966 Coup: Conversation Between Lt. Col Pam And His Murderers by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jan 17, 2017
bigtt76:
You think after all these years, he still remains a year and 9 months old? Haba bros..... Why naaaaa angry

Lolz....funny guy.
It's very rare to remember event that happens when we where below 3yrs.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Obiano Visits SARS Offices In Anambra, Frees Detainees / Amuda Adeleke Sues PDP, Atiku, Saraki, Obi For ‘Unauthorised Use Of Photos' / Abuja Office Of The President In 1980 Used By Shehu Shagari-photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.