Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,943 members, 7,922,333 topics. Date: Friday, 16 August 2024 at 02:34 AM

Lawyers Help; Do Courts Collect 5% Of A Dead Relative Assets? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lawyers Help; Do Courts Collect 5% Of A Dead Relative Assets? (843 Views)

What's The Biggest Gift Your Abroad Relative Has Ever Given To You? / How Do You Recover Money From A Dead Relative Bank Account? / Woman Gives Birth To A Dead Baby, Shares His Photos Online To Grieve (graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lawyers Help; Do Courts Collect 5% Of A Dead Relative Assets? by trytillmake(m): 1:02pm On Jan 16, 2017
Hello all, i need views of Nairalanders on this issue, do courts have the right to collect 5% of a dead relatives money assets before giving the relatives of the dead person a document to access his/her account. I recently heard this statement from a colleague who lost a Father, the court is asking for 5% of the assests in the bank before giving them any document to access their Father's money.

Please Lawyers in the house, is this a proper formality in Nigerian Courts.
Re: Lawyers Help; Do Courts Collect 5% Of A Dead Relative Assets? by Adebobs(m): 1:36pm On Jan 16, 2017
It actually depends on the circumstances surrounding the death of the deceased. How do I mean? If a person dies without a will, the relatives of the deceased will apply for a letter of Administration. This enables them to deal with the property of the deceased.

The letter of Administration is the legal document that confers authority on the relatives of the deceased to deal with whatever the deceased has left behind.

When an application is made to the state through the Probate Registrar, the applicant will pay the required fees before such Letter of Administration can be issued. Where it is just money in the bank that the applicant is hoping to claim, the court will charge 10% of the total sum in bank plus other administrative fees. For instance if the total sum in the deceased bank account is 5million naira, the state is entitled to 10% of that. These fees are receipted monies and statutorily allowed.

I hope I have helped abit. However, if you need further clarifications, you can hit me up here adeoye dot akson at G mail dot com.
Re: Lawyers Help; Do Courts Collect 5% Of A Dead Relative Assets? by trytillmake(m): 1:49pm On Feb 11, 2017
Thanks for the clarification.

(1) (Reply)

Heads Up In Unforseen Divorce / Mom Writes Brutally Honest Tribute To ‘stay At Home Moms’ / Twins Who Married Eachother Unkwowningly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.