Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,924 members, 7,942,321 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 07:18 AM

Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu (10445 Views)

Tertiary, Primary & Secondary Schools To Reopen In Lagos From September 14 & 21 / Science, Maths Teaching In Indigenous Languages To Begin Soon –FG / Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu by okusebi(m): 4:53pm On Jan 30, 2017
bantudra:

then only learn english when you want to deal with people outside of your local area...

it makes no sense to teach english to someone that will never leave is village in his ol life...

we should even set up tv stations in their local languages...
you cannot say that.. no one knows how is or her future would be like.. and cannot be in a disadvantaged position.. because that surely is since the university cannot teach in local language.. now. i am in china. i never had plans of coming here. if i had studied in my local language, how do you expect me to learn?
Re: Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu by GeneralFestytop(m): 5:15pm On Jan 30, 2017
djlaqua91:
Doesn't make sense, we have over 250 languages in this nation and English is a unifying factor.

Will you now be teaching Maths in Yoruba when a quarter of the class are Edo or Idoma?
idire gan ni eyi fun olukuluku lati keko ni agbegbe ede re
Re: Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu by mobiupdates: 5:27pm On Jan 30, 2017
Re: Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu by bantudra: 5:58pm On Jan 30, 2017
okusebi:
you cannot say that.. no one knows how is or her future would be like.. and cannot be in a disadvantaged position.. because that surely is since the university cannot teach in local language.. now. i am in china. i never had plans of coming here. if i had studied in my local language, how do you expect me to learn?

but you are putting others in a disanvantage by forcing them to learn english...

you are learning english because you are interested in the world..but not everybody is interested in the world...

what concerns a hunter with english...
Re: Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu by bantudra: 6:03pm On Jan 30, 2017
everybody should be free to learn english if they want...

but it shouldnt be a national standard...
Re: Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu by mytym(m): 7:34pm On Jan 30, 2017
AlexCk:
Hmmm,

Doesn't seem bad tho,
In most if not all Asian countries, they don't teach in English, and they are considered very smart. Even in some parts of Europe,

Pretty sure, when Pythagoras and co. were gisting maths, it wasn't in English , or daVinci, volta, Archimedes and co.

But English important shaaa, universal language, let no1 deceive ya.

PS: learning a foreign lingua good too o, all na determination shaa

English is even the Universal language for Science.(French, Latin, Spanish, German were all in contention)

Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Re: Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu by Divinerace(m): 8:40pm On Jan 30, 2017
aviazuva:
Good.
But how do we say Pythagoras theory in Igbo ?
Maybe Pitagoras tiori hahahaha
Asikwalanamsi
nkowata pitagoras
Re: Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu by Gmajor(m): 8:45pm On Jan 30, 2017
AlexCk:

I guess so too,
I just think they wanna try this indigenous thingy if it'll work,

But it'll be kinda weird, how do they wanna explain how sodium hydroxide reacts with hydrogen chloride in yoruba, or state the law of magnetism in igbo, or identify the skeleton parts in hausa,

Weird mehn, hehehe
as In eh.
it will just end up making everything confusing. Also it will imply that if one should relocate from Abia state to Osun the person will automatically revert to an illiterate
Re: Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu by okusebi(m): 12:53am On Jan 31, 2017
bantudra:

but you are putting others in a disanvantage by forcing them to learn english...

you are learning english because you are interested in the world..but not everybody is interested in the world...

what concerns a hunter with english...
language is not the problem, what nigeria need is good teachers and teaching aid. all they do is read without getting first hand practical experience. due to lack of laboratory facilities

1 Like

Re: Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu by bantudra: 12:58am On Jan 31, 2017
okusebi:
language is not the problem, what nigeria need is good teachers and teaching aid. all they do is read without getting first hand practical experience. due to lack of laboratory facilities

if you take a local teacher that knows the children and their parents,the children will have more interest to learn..

how can you be speaking only yoruba with your family at home and be learning in english at school...

thats confusion...

thats why most of us dont do well at school...
Re: Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu by bantudra: 1:03am On Jan 31, 2017
okusebi:

most of us are unemployed..

that i call disadvantage...

learn english in a extra course...

abegi,whorship the western world alone joor...
Re: Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu by Darestc2k12: 7:46am On Jan 31, 2017
This is a Good initiative. The medium of teaching is very Important and as to be natural.
Remember we think in our mother tongue.
Thank you Mr minister
Re: Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu by Nobody: 7:46am On Jan 31, 2017
Divinerace:
nkowata pitagoras
bro contact me at my signature
Re: Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu by Phobia1: 12:57am On Feb 01, 2017
It's long overdue. Welcome development.
Re: Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu by yemmybx(m): 1:43pm On Feb 01, 2017
Teachers Transforming Nigeria 2017

The Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) presents its annual, one month teacher training and support programme for people passionate about impacting education in Nigeria from a Christian perspective.
The programme seeks to explore strategies to fill the gap between formal teacher education and the needs of schools to have professional Christian educators.

Major areas to be covered include;
i. Pedagogy – classroom management, differentiation, lesson delivery
ii. 21st century teaching skills
iii. Teacher professionalism
iv. Christian distinctiveness in education
v. Reflective practice through classroom observation

Minimum Requirements
 Passion to be an education change agent
 Interest in implementing education from a Christian perspective
 An Education degree (B.Ed. or PGDE)
 Completion of NYSC
 35 years old and below
 No prior teaching experience is required
 Basic ICT skills The programme comes at no cost but candidates will be required to cater for their accommodation, transportation and feeding during the period.

Why Apply;
 To become a change agent in education
 To learn international best practice in teaching and learning
 A spring board for lifelong learning
 To develop an innovative and entrepreneurial mindset
 Increased marketability in job search

Application deadline: March 10, 2017
Date of Training: May 2rd to 31st, 2017
Training Location: Wuse 2, Abuja and teaching practice in selected schools.
To apply: Go to www.kazahchat.org/teachers-transforming-nigeria-2017 to apply.
Selected candidates will be contacted and will undergo a test and interview process.
Programme Manager: Kazahchat Services Limited

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. / Beasts That Could Maul And Kill You In Minutes [Graphic photos] / Court Restrains FG From Renaming UNILAG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.