Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,229 members, 7,943,404 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 02:32 PM

Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank (8493 Views)

Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff / Oceanic Bank Denies Sacking 1,200 More Workers, Slashes Salaries By 30% - Latest News / Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by papagiddy(m): 8:21pm On Dec 15, 2009
i bought 20,000 Units of oceanic bank shares at N29  plus 13,000 brokers commission last year April. if i had know i would have used it to buy a land.  see me now !!!!
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by No2Atheism(m): 8:38pm On Dec 15, 2009
papa giddy:

i bought 20,000 Units of oceanic bank shares at N29  plus 13,000 brokers commission last year April. if i had know i would have used it to buy a land.  see me now !!!!

Sorry oh . . .

I also know of someone that lost a few millions of naira on shares also . . .

Personally I have not really been moved by shares cus i realised early that the only sensible shares that are worth having in a company are those that allow you to actually control the company and hence allow you to start earning salary within the company as either a director or chairman, while still obtaining a sizable chunk of the profit margins of the company.

At the end of the day, the dividends obtaininable from little shares of banks is quite too negligible to be used as a steady flow of income.
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by MrCartha: 9:50pm On Dec 15, 2009
As mass sacking looms, so shall mass increase in kidnappings, robbery and im brodas too go dey loom around the corner. LORD HAVE MERCY AND GUIDE US ALL, AMEEEEEEEEN!!! shocked
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by JijiInc: 10:12pm On Dec 15, 2009
the truth is,these banks and everything abt them i.e staff and co have always been `false`.last yr,they posted billions as profit and they are now laying off their workers.they started by paying silly wages even though they hardly made profit.imagine when u have to spend money u dont have-pple`s money.as for the sacked staff,they shld look elsewhere.they shld have known that all that glitters isnt gold.i could have been a victim if not that i listened to my dad who warned me dat the banks were just fronting.

debts pre tax debt
bankphb 439bn
union bank 223bn
finbank 94
springbnk 23bn

saw these on friday.almost all the banks are in huge debt.

@ poster, go and check ur source properly, BankPHB did not post the loss stated above. Abi na only am give loan
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by igeluma: 10:23pm On Dec 15, 2009
When we continue to see falsehood in declearing terrible financial result for the past 3-4 years, the so called consolidation put us into this mess.The head is rotten so it affected the rest of the body.
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by soloyede1: 10:31pm On Dec 15, 2009
infact this is a serious TSUNAMI in our banking Industry.
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by oge4real(f): 12:21am On Dec 16, 2009
Hey, Oceanic Bank? this one go affect person wey I know o.
Every spirit of sacking, fall and die, fall and die, fall and die.
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by nairapower: 1:02am On Dec 16, 2009
Na wao! Naija, where are we going from here? From frying pan to fire?
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by Harbb: 1:30am On Dec 16, 2009
Our economic recession has just started.May God help us to come strong.
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by desktop: 3:04am On Dec 16, 2009
Can we all now see where the aboki has led us to?
Everything happening now i can bet you he never envisaged. This is just a repeat of the failed banks era.
Soon customers will cease to deal with these banks then what happens?
Total closure, even those who dont make the list will only in a matter of time be exd!

How do you sack ppl cos their accounts are in red?
Is it now against the law to be broke?

God abeg O!
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by echobee(f): 6:47am On Dec 16, 2009
let ur kingdom come.let ur will be done
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by sayso: 9:16am On Dec 16, 2009
at this moment of trails and tribulation we all can just do one thing,PRAY PRAY and PRAY to the Almighty GOD for his mercies.Some who will survive this storm be ready to help others in any way you can,a moment of un-ending love to you fellow human
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by Meldrick(m): 9:21am On Dec 16, 2009
desktop:

Everything happening now i can bet you he never envisaged. This is just a repeat of the failed banks era.
Total closure, even those who dont make the list will only in a matter of time be exd!

God abeg O!

But is it really wrong to sanitize an industry that was at the verge of collapsing. Don't you think something worse would have happened but for the timely intervention of Lamido. A bank that declared a huge profit last year only to run into a loss worth billions of Naira this year. Doesn't it strike your mind that there were lots of fraudulent and dubious practices. Figures were manufactured to decieve the public and profits were declared on the floors of the Nigerian Stock Exchange. Notable audit firms cheaply sold their integrity and connived with these banks to give them a pass mark. Public offer was made. Students, young graduates, and others who sweated hardly for their money bought these shares only to realize they have been decieved (permit me to use the word duped). Are these bank chiefs or thieves not worse than the robbers on the street. Even the public who bought sshares from them find it difficult getting loans from the banks.

My there friend what is happening is inevitable. If it didn't happen now, it would have happened some day.
My prayer is that God should punish all those at the corridor of power who make life miserable for the masses. God should punish those bank chiefs that have put these bankers out of their jobs and May God provide better jobs for them. Amen
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by bigrod1: 10:10am On Dec 16, 2009
[size=16pt]@jiji_inc,
i saw those info on channels tv.check the dailies.i didnt just wake up and manufactured those figures.
[/size]
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by No2Atheism(m): 11:01am On Dec 16, 2009
Meldrick:

But is it really wrong to sanitize an industry that was at the verge of collapsing. Don't you think something worse would have happened but for the timely intervention of Lamido. A bank that declared a huge profit last year only to run into a loss worth billions of Naira this year. Doesn't it strike your mind that there were lots of fraudulent and dubious practices. Figures were manufactured to decieve the public and profits were declared on the floors of the Nigerian Stock Exchange. Notable audit firms cheaply sold their integrity and connived with these banks to give them a pass mark. Public offer was made. Students, young graduates, and others who sweated hardly for their money bought these shares only to realize they have been decieved (permit me to use the word duped). Are these bank chiefs or thieves not worse than the robbers on the street. Even the public who bought sshares from them find it difficult getting loans from the banks.

My there friend what is happening is inevitable. If it didn't happen now, it would have happened some day.
My prayer is that God should punish all those at the corridor of power who make life miserable for the masses. God should punish those bank chiefs that have put these bankers out of their jobs and May God provide better jobs for them. Amen

A bank that declared a huge profit last year only to run into a loss worth billions of Naira this year. Doesn't it strike your mind that there were lots of fraudulent and dubious practices

- Spot on . . .

- Nevertheless Sanusi himself leaves room for suspicion . . .

Notable audit firms cheaply sold their integrity and connived with these banks to give them a pass mark.

I just pity the young staff of those audit firms that would have been put under pressure to succumb to the bank, cus in reality its not those at the top of those audit firms that actually do the main auditing its those at the bottom that usually end up doing the heavy lifting.

You wonder why people in the financial or audit industry tend to sometimes have a wayward social life . . . the reason is simple . . . a number of them know that they have connivved with the committing of fiancial fraud in the banks, hence the only way to blunt their conscience is by participating in more and more cases of wayward social excesses.
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by elowa: 11:20am On Dec 16, 2009
desktop:

God abeg O!

In red means being in debit and not just being broke. Its like giving yourself an unauthorised loan because you are a staff. I was with FirstBank till 2008 and we have it like an unwritten rule, any staff that has his or her account goes into debit will be summoned to face a panel at the head office
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by chelseabmw(m): 1:54pm On Dec 16, 2009
I do not wish to work as a banker anymore,
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by dfanthom(m): 5:15pm On Dec 16, 2009
it's a precarious situation! may the Almighty deliver us from the snare of the fowler!!

cry
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by coolG: 6:14pm On Dec 16, 2009
Meldrick:

[b]But is it really wrong to sanitize an industry that was at the verge of collapsing. Don't you think something worse would have happened but for the timely intervention of Lamido. A bank that declared a huge profit last year only to run into a loss worth billions of Naira this year. Doesn't it strike your mind that there were lots of fraudulent and dubious practices. Figures were manufactured to decieve the public and profits were declared on the floors of the Nigerian Stock Exchange. Notable audit firms cheaply sold their integrity and connived with these banks to give them a pass mark. Public offer was made. Students, young graduates, and others who sweated hardly for their money bought these shares only to realize they have been decieved (permit me to use the word duped). Are these bank chiefs or thieves not worse than the robbers on the street. Even the public who bought sshares from them find it difficult getting loans from the banks.

[/b]

Your explanation of the current situation is far too simple. The CBN Governor as a position wields tremendous power. That is the reason why you want them to talk little and work behind the curtain. Do you realize some CEO's had been removed under his predecessor with little razzmatazz including at the bank where the current CBN Governor worked as GM before moving to FB as Executive Director? I do not want to impugn his motive but his method leaves considerable number of knowledgeable people scratching their heads for a rationale that the upside outweighs the downside. Even a few of his supporters are no longer at ease.

Now to address your points. One, the industry was not at verge of collapsing. Most of the banks were over-exposed to concentration risk which was serious but did not rise to the point of collapse. The stock price decline caused many assets to be impaired which was a contributory factor. They could have weathered the storm. So the notion it would have been worse had it not been for timely intervention of CBN Governor is at best preposterous. He actually exacerbated the situation with the methods he employed, maybe unintentionally.

Declaring a large profit last year and then large losses this year. This is not a misnomer. The problem here is clear misunderstanding. In a downturn, interest bearing assets tend to migrate down to loss status faster within the prudential guidelines and banks are forced to make 100% provision. So, you can turn from one quarter of profits to another quarter of big losses as customers stop making repayments because of cash crunch. It even becomes more rampant with a total credit squeeze as is prevalent now. So banks are going to make even more provisions. While it is possible that fraudulent practices can cause that but it is equally possible the write has nothing to do with fraudulent practices particularly in the current environment. I would even argue that the case here is assets deteriorating to loss status and hence the banks have to make 100% provision. Maybe you might take time to study the financial statements and see that some of them had fairly good earnings and others even had a positive earnings growth. Let me leave it here for another day.

Notable audit firms sold their integrity and connived with the banks. Is this really the truth? If it were, how come CBN Governor appointed the same "notable audit firms" to be advisers to the same banks in the ongoing reform. Again, my view is that the problem is misunderstanding of the responsibilities of chartered accounting firms.  The auditors give unqualified opinion based on "reasonable assurances" and not based on absolute assurances. The management is ultimately responsible for the fairness of the presentation of the financial statements and not the auditing firms. Unless anyone can prove any case of connivance, i think your statement is inaccurate.

Students, young graduates and others who sweated hard were duped. It is not true. First of all, you did not put your money in a deposit. If you did, the CBN Governor has guaranteed the money. What you did was to make an investment. Every investment is a risk and people make these investments based on their risk appetite. Investments in stock is no different. Stock prices go 'highs' and 'lows', so even though the prices are very low today, it does not mean they would not go up to 10, 20, 30 or 40 naira in the next year or two depending on the particular bank. So the notion that it is a loss is comical. This is called extreme wealth decline and not a total loss unless the bank goes under.    

My there friend what is happening is inevitable. I disagree. There is nothing inevitable about the current situation. In my opinion, it is a case of taking a bad situation and making it worse. A more careful CBN Governor could have achieved the same purpose (sanitizing the rot) with little or no damage to the credibility of the institutions or stripping the institutions bare.

To make a quick comment on the extraordinary losses published by the 8 banks last week. Those losses are not a true reflection of those banks financial position. They were instructed to make 100% provision on substandard and doubtful loans. That meant they were making provisions over and above the existing prudential guidelines while the other 'healthy' banks are left to make 100% provision only on loans that are outright loss. Why should this worry you? Because even the new CEOs appointed by CBN Governor told him that the instruction will damage the trust they have been building over the few months and apparently the CBN Governor agreed, only to call the CEOs several hours after the meeting and insisted they publish the interim F/S. While there are many downsides to this decision, there is a noteworthy upside. The upside is that the banks will return to profitability by early 2010, possibly first or second quarter.

Finally, substantial blame for all these should go to the former bank executives and their board of directors. There was just unnecessary display of wealth, greed, poor corporate governance, low management quality and in some cases, some of them do not have the experience and vision to run and manage the behemoth they are building or built. Really i do not have sympathy for most of them but i'll let the court pronounce them guilty or otherwise.
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by desktop: 8:29pm On Dec 16, 2009
elowa:

In red means being in debit and not just being broke. Its like giving yourself an unauthorised loan because you are a staff. I was with FirstBank till 2008 and we have it like an unwritten rule, any staff that has his or her account goes into debit will be summoned to face a panel at the head office

Haba!same first bank Sanusi just came out of?
Then ive worked for two banks in this country never heard of such happening in either O!
So i beg to differ that you understand my not getting what it meant to be red!

But seriously that kind of thing should not be encouraged in the first place lets face it.

Meanwhile im just not happy working in the system anymore!
its become so ludicrous!
Eeryday everyone is working under so much unhapiness despite the money
This December im out!
wetin sef?
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by Vickivicki(m): 1:08am On Dec 17, 2009
'Se ope ti e' - i guess this is where we find ourselves now.

lipsrsealed
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by oluphilip(m): 4:13am On Dec 17, 2009
It is well even in d well
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by dernearla(m): 10:05am On Dec 17, 2009
Well I see this has unfair cos the failure of the bank's fromer management should not be punitive on the staff. 40% is rather high.
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by blackcypha(m): 6:09pm On Dec 17, 2009
supereAgle ur very correct,we r easily decieved in this country,IF BANKS ON WALL STREET IN THE US CUD FAIL ,THEN TELL ME WHY WE SHUDA BELIEVED OUR LEADERS DAT OUR BANKS WERE IMMUNE TO RECESSION,EEH? FRIGGING HYPOCRITES IN POWER!
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by HOTWATER(m): 8:45am On Dec 18, 2009
it appaers to me that FIDELITY BANK and SKYE BANK are the new generations stable. Any one with a better alternative
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by bigrod1: 10:17am On Dec 18, 2009
[size=16pt]if at all the management of these banks are to be blamed,they should be blamed for initially paying the kind of amount they could not sustain .afterall that they hardly make profit.[/size]
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by kobikwelu(m): 10:22am On Dec 18, 2009
it appaers to me that FIDELITY BANK and SKYE BANK are the new generations stable. Any one with a better alternative

for where!!!!

i have a friend that works in fidelity. she informed me that all their salaries were slashed by 30% shocked,

as for me, first bank, GTB, chikena!!! grin
Re: Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank by fade1: 11:57am On Dec 19, 2009
This was the obvious already, i guess they all should have known and prepared for it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Animal Production A Good Course To Study In Nigeria? / Gt Bank : Entry Level Aptitude Test Jan 8 2011 / Ikeazor Appointed Keystone Bank MD/CEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.