Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,211 members, 7,880,782 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:44 AM

What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? - Business (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (83898 Views)

What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? / What's Happening On The Lagos-Ibadan Axis? / What's Happening On The Ikorodu Axis? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 7:56pm On Sep 16, 2010
Lastma officials are controlling traffic at the roundabout.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:01pm On Sep 16, 2010
It seems those on the expressway from amazon have not been moving. This traffic is heavy!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:06pm On Sep 16, 2010
Extra lane not open to cars. Probably a factor?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:10pm On Sep 16, 2010
We are really crawling now!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by X2X(m): 8:15pm On Sep 16, 2010
Na wa.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:33pm On Sep 16, 2010
Just got to stillwaters!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:59pm On Sep 16, 2010
Still stuck between stillwaters and ilasan o!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 9:12pm On Sep 16, 2010
Just got to Ilasan!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 9:22pm On Sep 16, 2010
At third round about.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 9:26pm On Sep 16, 2010
Now at chevron. What a journey!

Fence now erected up to the front of the local government.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by gbolah1(m): 10:39pm On Sep 16, 2010
are you at home.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:23am On Sep 17, 2010
^^

I am sorry I could not give you further updates. I eventually got home (and then the Flamingoes lost the match  cry )

johnie:

Took 3 minutes to reach the SPAR junction from Amazon Energy.

Still trudging towards 3rd round about.
On Wednesday, it took me just three minutes to travel from amazon Junction to the Spar junction.

The same journey took me about one hour forty-five minutes yesterday! This despite the fact that I drove through phase 1 to short-circuit the journey!

I am still trying to figure out what happened on Tuesday and Wednesday when the roads were relatively free.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:54am On Sep 17, 2010
Lekki-Ajah Toll Gate: Suit Adjourned Till After Vacation

Posted By On September 2, 2010 @ 11:36 am In Metro,News | 1 Comment

A suit instituted against the Lagos State Government and four others over the new toll gate along Lekki-Epe expressway by a human rights activist, Barrister Ebun Adegboruwa, has been adjourned.

In an affidavit sworn to by Adegboruwa, who is not only a resident of Lekki-Ajah, but also a community leader in the area, he is urging the court to order the dismantling of the toll points termed Admiralty Circle Plaza as well as restraining the Lagos State Government and its agents from collecting any toll or levy at the toll points.

Joined as co-defendants are Lekki Consession Company Limited, Lagos Works Management Board, the Attorney-General of Lagos State and Eti Osa Local Government.

Barrister Adegboruwa averred that as one of the residents whose house, law office and church are located in the area, the toll gate, apart from the hardship it will cause, will also hinder free flow of traffic and free movement of goods and services.

He averred further that roads have been constructed in other areas of the state like Okota, Ajose Adeogun, Kudirat Abiola Way, Oregun without toll gates erected.

In a bid to ensure the compulsory payment of the toll gate levies, all the community’s outlets, companies and other business concerns along the road have been fenced off.

The claimant also averred that the Lagos State Government is duty bound to provide adequate facilities for the mobility of the people, goods and services throughout the state, adding that residents of the community were not consulted before the toll gates were constructed.

He said that there is currently no law in existence made by the Lagos State House of Assembly authorising the collection of tolls on public highways.

Article printed from P.M. NEWS Nigeria: http://pmnewsnigeria.com

URL to article: http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/09/02/lekki-ajah-toll-gate-suit-adjourned-till-after-vacationadjourned/
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by megastu(m): 12:00pm On Sep 27, 2010
I leave my house at 4.45am and still have to pass one way. This Govt is BAD.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by AjanleKoko: 1:29pm On Sep 27, 2010
johnie:

Lekki-Ajah Toll Gate: Suit Adjourned Till After Vacation 

Posted By On September 2, 2010 @ 11:36 am In Metro,News | 1 Comment

A suit instituted against the Lagos State Government and four others over the new  toll gate  along Lekki-Epe expressway by a human rights activist, Barrister Ebun Adegboruwa, has been  adjourned.

In an affidavit sworn to by Adegboruwa, who is not only a resident of Lekki-Ajah, but also a  community leader in the area, he is urging the court to order the dismantling of the toll  points termed Admiralty Circle Plaza as well as restraining the Lagos State Government and its  agents from collecting any toll or levy at the toll points.

Joined as co-defendants are Lekki Consession Company Limited, Lagos Works Management Board, the  Attorney-General of Lagos State and Eti Osa Local Government.

Barrister Adegboruwa averred that as one of the residents whose house, law office and church  are located in the area, the toll gate, apart from the hardship it will cause, will also hinder  free flow of traffic and free movement of goods and services.

He averred further that roads have been constructed in other areas of the state like Okota,  Ajose Adeogun, Kudirat Abiola Way, Oregun without toll gates erected.

In a bid to ensure the compulsory payment of the toll gate levies, all the community’s outlets,  companies and other business concerns along the road have been fenced off.

The claimant also averred that the Lagos State Government is duty bound to provide adequate  facilities for the mobility of the people, goods and services throughout the state, adding that  residents of the community were not consulted before the toll gates were constructed.

He said that there is currently no law in existence made by the Lagos State House of Assembly  authorising the collection of tolls on public highways.

Article printed from P.M. NEWS Nigeria: http://pmnewsnigeria.com

URL to article: http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/09/02/lekki-ajah-toll-gate-suit-adjourned-till-after-vacationadjourned/

Ironically, when I visited India recently, and was asking a native why their state of infrastructure was so appalling, he had this to say:

'There is too much opposition to everything. When the government tries to do something, they get on the average four or five lawsuits stopping them from doing anything. Result is, at the end of the day, nothing is ever done, or anything done is never finished or done with very poor quality.'

Also, the 'human rights activist', Adegboruwa, has a street named after him, off the road where you have TPH. He has a nice mansion there. Human rights activist indeed!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 4:33pm On Sep 29, 2010
Published 9/29/2010 1:00:00 AM

Lekki-Epe Expressway: Lagos challenges court’s jurisdiction over lawyer’s suit
Tony Amokeodo
Lagos State government on Tuesday challenged the jurisdiction of a Lagos High Court in Igbosere to entertain a suit by a Lagos-based lawyer, Mr. Ebun Adegboruwa, asking the court to restrain the state from collecting toll or tariff from any person for the use of Lekki-Epe Expressway.

When the matter came up before Justice Samuel Candide-Johnson, lawyer from the state Attorney-General Chambers, Mr. Olusemo Elueme, told the court that the state had filed a Notice of Preliminary Objection on the competence of the court to entertain the suit.

Also, the Lekki Concession Company Limited’s lawyer, Mr. Wunmi Adegbomire, told the court that his client has filed a Preliminary objection, saying his attempt to serve the claimant with the said notice was rebuffed.

Adegbomire urged the court to grant him extension of time to enable him effect service on the parties.

But, the claimant, argued that the notices of preliminary objection filed by the first and second defendants were not ripe for hearing.

Ebun-Adegboruwa added that the defendants have not compiled with Order 44 of the Lagos state Civil Procedure Rules.

He told the court that all the defendants were served with his originating summons since August saying that they delayed to file their objections.

He urged the court to give an order in order to preserve the res (subject matter) pending the determination of the suit.

But Lagos State had in its preliminary objection, argued that the action is statute barred by virtue of Section 2(a) of the Public Officers Protection Law Cap P26 Volume 6 Laws of Lagos State 200.

It argued that suit his was predicated on Section 15 (II) of the Constitution which deals with fundamental objectives and principles of state policy.

The state also claimed that the suit constituted abuse of court process, hence the court lacks the require jurisdiction to hear it.

The claimant had in his originating summons sought for an order directing Lagos State government to remove and dismantle the Admiralty Circle Plaza toll points erected on the Lekki-Epe Expressway, claiming that the action was hindering free mobility and the use of the said expressway.

The case has been adjourned till October 4.

Source:http://www.punchontheweb.com/Article2Print.aspx?theartic=Art20100929104935
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by DisGuy: 6:17pm On Sep 29, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Ironically, when I visited India recently, and was asking a native why their state of infrastructure was so appalling, he had this to say:

'There is too much opposition to everything. When the government tries to do something, they get on the average four or five lawsuits stopping them from doing anything. Result is, at the end of the day, nothing is ever done, or anything done is never finished or done with very poor quality.'

Also, the 'human rights activist', Adegboruwa, has a street named after him, off the road where you have TPH. He has a nice mansion there. Human rights activist indeed!

. . . . In the UK there's also strong opposition to many developmental plans, several consultations several environmental issues, relocation and compensation schemes are sorted out well over 3-4 years before they go ahead in the end almost everyone is 'happy' right down to squirrel protection group!

Looking at India is looking backwards to be honest, we need infrastructure badly but I'm pretty sure we can get it done without appearing to bulldoze the powerless citizens over with financial speak!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by DisGuy: 6:19pm On Sep 29, 2010
we have a situation where people don't even know when the bloody construction will be concluded
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:33pm On Sep 29, 2010
AjanleKoko:

I hope we are not heading down this road!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:35pm On Sep 29, 2010
Has anyone taken a look at the consoles of the operators of the toll booths?

I have been reading their consoles and was shocked to see the toll price displayed on the screen.

I have been trying to get a picture of the screen for about two weeks now without success hence the delay in relaying this.

Believe it or not, what I have seen consistently displayed on the screen is:

Twenty Naira (N20.00) shocked shocked shocked

No, your eyes are not deceiving you. I have been seeing N20.00!

I would like someone else to confirm this, please!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by X2X(m): 7:07pm On Sep 29, 2010
johnie:

I have been reading their consoles and was shocked to see the toll price displayed on the screen.

I have been trying to get a picture of the screen for about two weeks now without success hence the delay in relaying this.

So all that protests was just over 20 naira? If LCC actually intends to charge 20 naira they should say it. I think that will get a lot of people off LCC's back.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by X2X(m): 7:10pm On Sep 29, 2010
Dis Guy:

. . . . In the UK there's also strong opposition to many developmental plans, several consultations several environmental issues, relocation and compensation schemes are sorted out well over 3-4 years before they go ahead in the end almost everyone is 'happy' right down to squirrel protection group!

Looking at India is looking backwards to be honest, we need infrastructure badly but I'm pretty sure we can get it done without appearing to bulldoze the powerless citizens over with financial speak!

I could not have have put it better. Thanks.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by phuckNL: 7:33pm On Sep 29, 2010
X-2-X:

So all that protests was just over 20 naira? If LCC actually intends to charge 20 naira they should say it. I think that will get a lot of people off LCC's back.

I'm sure they are just being deceptive. Maybe that 20 naira is just the default display. I am sure they will not charge 20 naira. If the toll is 20 naira, then they would have announced it to shut people up.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by Kobojunkie: 7:37pm On Sep 29, 2010
Dis Guy:

Well put!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by AjanleKoko: 8:26pm On Sep 29, 2010
Dis Guy:

Fair enough. Let's watch and see how it all plays out in the end.
Funny thing is, when you look at the lawsuit . . . I can't believe even Lagos state did not bother to ensure they were covered by legislation before embarking on that kind of project. They've been on this for five years now. Even LCC, I am surprised that they didn't ensure that their contract was supported by the laws of the land. If the constitution doesn't support it, then it doesn't.

johnie:

I'm sure that's some default display for the test run. I've seen it as well.
Grapevine sources tell me something like N100 or N150 is more likely.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 12:14pm On Oct 05, 2010
Published 10/5/2010 3:06:00 AM

Court adjourns Lekki toll gate case

Agency Reporter

A Lagos High Court on Monday fixed October 20 for further hearing in the suit challenging the legality of toll gates on the Lagos-Lekki-Epe Expressway.

A Lagos lawyer, Mr Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa had on September 28 filed the suit challenging the Lagos State Government over the erection of toll gates on the road.

He wants the court ”to stop the government from conceding its statutory responsibility of providing roads and other infrastructure to a private company”.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the state government had in 2009 conceded the road to Lekki Concession Company.

At the resumed hearing of the case on Monday, Adegboruwa requested the court to transfer three of the four-point claims to the Court of Appeal for determination.

The claims include whether the proposed toll or road tax is supported by any law, the claimant’s constitutional right to freedom of movement and his capacity to institute the action.

Counsel to the Lagos State Government, Mrs S.O. Olusemo-Elueme urged the court to hear their preliminary objection on the court’s jurisdiction to hear the case.

Justice Babajide Candide-Johnson said the position of the law was not to hear the preliminary objection first, but to take all the applications cumulatively.

He adjourned further hearing till Oct.20.

Source: http://www.punchontheweb.com/Article2Print.aspx?theartic=Art20101005372071
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 1:26pm On Oct 05, 2010
LCC, in today's edition of The Punch says that "effective from midnight on Monday 4th October 2010 all traffic travelling along the Lekki-Epe expressway betwen Ikota Village and Chevron Roundabout has been momentarily diverted from the existing carriageways onto temporary lanes on the south side of the Expressway, owing to constructon works at this section of the road. Completion of the works is expected by 31st March 2011".

I guess this to enable them complete the second toll plaza which lies between the Chevron roundabout and Ikota.

Work on the median up to and beyond the site of the second plaza has been at frenetic pace in recent times.

Traffic hold-up has however reappeared in sections where it was eliminated previosuly.

An example is at Ikate (second) round about in the morning.

Between Chevron round about and the third round about (Jakande), I spent one hour this morning!
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 7:55am On Oct 06, 2010
johnie:

LCC, in today's edition of The Punch says that "effective from midnight on Monday 4th October 2010 all traffic travelling along the Lekki-Epe expressway betwen Ikota Village and Chevron Roundabout has been momentarily diverted from the existing carriageways onto temporary lanes on the south side of the Expressway, owing to constructon works at this section of the road. Completion of the works is expected by 31st March 2011".

Can anyone confirm that this has been done?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:02am On Oct 06, 2010
A large contingent of LASTMA officials were drafted to the expressway this morning. I think this made a lot of difference as the part of my journey which took one hour yesterday took just about 15 minutes!

A large number of vehicles were apprehended by the LASTMA officials for driving against traffic/driving on the kerb.

A Julius Berger truck heading towards Lekki broke down just after the Admiralty plaza. LASTMA officials were there trying to get it out of the way.

Interestingly, I saw one of them taking pictures of the truck. I wondered if he was going to send the picture to HQ for assistance. That would be great wouldn't it?

Anyway good work guys!

It also seems to me that Hi-Tech works overnight now. I have noticed that there are changes to the level of work done every morning since last Saturday .

Can anyone confirm this?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by AjanleKoko: 8:45am On Oct 06, 2010
^^
I'm out of Lagos currently. But Monday night, there was still bad traffic between Amazon oil and Ikate round about.

Over the weekend, I did notice a lot of improvement, especially on the stretch between Amazon and Ikate. I haven't driven past Spar/Jakande in weeks.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by DisGuy: 8:49am On Oct 06, 2010
Interestingly, I saw one of them taking pictures of the truck. I wondered if he was going to send the picture to HQ for assistance. That would be great wouldn't it?

checking the price on the open market wink

It also seems to me that Hi-Tech works overnight now. I have noticed that there are changes to the level of work done every morning since last Saturday .

good i was about to ask this question, would definitely make construction faster as done by 'proper' construction companies with tight schedules
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 12:17pm On Oct 06, 2010
AjanleKoko:

^^
I'm out of Lagos currently. But Monday night, there was still bad traffic between Amazon oil and Ikate round about.

Over the weekend, I did notice a lot of improvement, especially on the stretch between Amazon and Ikate. I haven't driven past Spar/Jakande in weeks.

I hope you are enjoying your trip.

Yeah, Monday night ( and the morning too) was bad! I actually expected it to be better after some of the work done over the weekend.

Some sort of roundabout/u-turn spot has been created at the SPAR junction. I guess this is to accommodate the high volume of traffic passing there.

A drive-through was created at second round about for traffic heading towards VI and I thought this should eliminate the traffic we experienced there last week.

The parts of the road that were broken recently were manned by the LASTMA guys this morning. I have noticed that they  monitor such spots -not just at Lekki but I have seen them in other places in Lagos. I have seen them filling such spots with earth!

I think this shows that they are not all about extortion! Kudos to you guys!

It's good to know that someone somewhere is actually concerned about us.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (26) (Reply)

Ebonyi Mall: The Largest Mall In Nigeria Almost Completed (Pics, Video) / “I Discovered Banana Island” Terry Waya Claims / Jeff Bezos And Lauren Sanchez Sex Chat Leaked, Led To His Crashed Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.