Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,834 members, 7,872,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:23 PM

"Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine (43851 Views)

Magu: Buhari Has Lost Control Of His Govt., Former Nigerian Leaders Say / Buhari Has Anaemia, Doctor Reveals -ads*4nairablog / Buhari Has Anaemia, Doctor Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 11:18am On Mar 12, 2017
pestrolus2002:

Anaemia is always secondary to something, this prof cannot pass MBBS again
Did you read the interview. Did you reflect on it before commenting.

You sound immature. You claim it is ALWAYS secondary to something. That may be true(it may be essential) but everything is secondary to something. Leaving that to one side once again did you read the interview? A mature doctor wants to be armed with the facts before condemning a colleague. Your post is self serving and not relevant to what HE ACTUALLY SAID.

At any rate have you ever used ICD 10 in your life to make charges for treatment ? Of what relevance is it to aything the prof said that "anaemia is always secondary". He indeed did say as much!!! Let us assume it is secondary to Iron deficiency that may be secondary to a vegetarian diet which is secondary to a religious belief which is secondary to a religious revelation or to poverty or to recession or to the dollar exchange rate ad infinitum.

That is the way medicinie is taught in Nigeria but . secondary conditions like Hypertension like diabetes like dermatitis like anxiety like vitiligo are indeed diagnoses. Nigerian trained doctors have a problem wiith intellectual humility.They know little but think they know everything
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by AreaFada2: 11:21am On Mar 12, 2017
aribisala0:
A lot of people want to sound off to feel important.

Anaemia is not a symptom ,yes it is a diagnosis in this case without all the details the ICD 10 WHO diagnostic code is D64.9.
A symptom is something complained about by the patient whilst anaemia is a physical fact according to predetermined parameters.
Yes anaemia should have a cause generally but this may be unknown or unknowable at the time of diagnosing and diagnostication would allow for D64.9

It is always dangerous for doctors to speak to the press because their words may be reported incompletely or out of context but Buhari is a public figure and this kind of medical speculation is not inappropriate.

The professor said among other things
There is therefore a preliminary diagnosis of anaemia meaning insufficient blood in the circulation
"it is imperative to know the possible causes of the anaemia.The question that arises in the absence of information, which is understandable, is the cause of the anaemia.
Is it possible that his anaemia is drug induced or drug related and that investigations in London revealed this? We do not know. If this is true common pain relieving drugs like Panadol may cause kidney damage and give rise to anaemia for which he received transfusions."

Now we have a lot of young Turks puffed up with half knowledge thinking they know it all.
I am sure many of them have never heard of ICD-10.

In summary Buhari has Anaemia and IT IS A DIAGNOSIS . There is no law that says you must have ONLY ONE diagnosis.
Yes any sensible doctor would want to know of other diagnoses that are causing anaemia but the truth is this may be unknown or unknowable for some tine.In Buhari's case it is probably known. We now know one of his diagnoses and would like to know more. It is notewothy that he likely is a sickle cell trail carrier having lost a child to SS anaemia and that may be relevant in view of his rambling disclosure of "self medication"
The context is important : an interview with the press which are always likely to edit things and report their own version of things but I think the Prof was balanced,knowlegable and objective and much of the criticism I see here is egotistic and self serving

While ICD-10 classification is good, it is not necessarily perfect. If you work under me and refer to anaemia as your diagnosis and do nothing further, I'd be furious indeed. cheesy

Sure the prof can only speculate based on limited information available.

Still any idiot can diagnose anaemia.

Yes, correcting it to remove lethargy & strain on organs would be desirable. But if after 50 days we are still talking of anaemia without any probable cause, that would be pretty mediocre to me.

Sure, there are idiopathic (of unknown cause) cases. But many would still fall under anaemia of chronic disease/malnutrition (Vit B12, folate, etc). They tend to be more in seniors and very deprived populations.

There are some super quality health institutions who use in-house system in treating patients because they feel superior to even the so called international standards. A notable one is a world standard top Psych Hospital.

In my previous post, I said it is not a diagnosis "strictly" speaking. But it depends on the standards & expectations of people.
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Basic123: 11:22am On Mar 12, 2017
aribisala0:
Is hypertension a disease? Is type 2 diabetes a disease? Please define disease?
T
Hypertension is not a disease.its a state of high blood pressure which may serve as a sign of a cardiovascular disease.You can only have "hypertensive heart disease" in which the patient will also has high BP.

Type 2 diabetes is a disease.which will have its own feature like hyperglycemia(high blood suger).so,medically you will not call the patient disease "hyperglycemia" or "high blood sugar" but diabetes.The same thing is applicable to the "anaemia" thing.That causes of anaemia which are many is the disease.e g SCD,sickled cell anaemia.I.e Anaemia caused by sickle cell.you will not just say the patient has anaemia but SCD.

. A disease is morbid entity ordinarily characterized by two or
more of the following criteria: recognized etiologic
agent(s), identifiable group of signs and symptoms, or
consistent anatomic alterations.

colloquially for a layman,literature alway muddle the sign and symptom with disease.so,they call everything disease.

Medicos in the house will understand.I'm very sure the prof. will not say buhari has anaemia as a disease.
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by delishpot: 11:25am On Mar 12, 2017
And he clearly doesn't trust the mass produced murderers called doctors and nurses in Nigeria to treat his anaemia. The fear of Naija hospitals is the beginning of wisdom ba?
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by rollybest(m): 11:26am On Mar 12, 2017
Hmmm it alright observing with David Mark chairman Senate committee on observation
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 11:26am On Mar 12, 2017
AreaFada2:

While ICD-10 classification is good, it is not necessarily perfect. If you work for me and refer to anaemia as your diagnosis and do nothing further, I'd be furious indeed.
Sure the prof can only speculate based on limited information available.

Still any idiot can diagnose anaemia.

Yes, correcting it to remove lethargy & strain on organs would be desirable. But if after 50 days we are still talking of anaemia without any probable cause, that would be pretty mediocre to me.

Sure, there are idiopathic (of unknown cause) cases. But many would still fall under anaemia of chronic disease/malnutrition (Vit B12, folate, etc). They tend to be more in seniors and very deprived populations.

There are some super quality health institutions who use in-house system in treating patients because they feel superior to even the so called international standards. A notable one is a world standard top Psych Hospital.

In my first post, I said it is not a diagnosis strictly speaking. But it depends on the standards & expectations of people.
If I work for you? Don't be ridiulous ,what is more likely is that you work for me.

No need to induge yourself in fantasy.ICD 10 may not be perfect but it is the best we have.You annot make up what you like.

At any rate did you read everythin the Prof said.I do not believe you did. You are just sounding off.
He made it very clear that he was speaking from a position of limited inforation without all the facts and that yes anaemia is almost always secondary to another condition.
If you read what he said then there really is no need for this conversation
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 11:28am On Mar 12, 2017
Basic123:
Hypertension is not a disease.its a state of high blood pressure which may serve as a sign of a cardiovascular disease.You can only have "hypertensive heart disease" in which the patient will also has high BP.

Type 2 diabetes is a disease.which will have its own feature like hyperglycemia(high blood suger).so,medically you will not call the patient disease "hyperglycemia" or "high blood sugar" but diabetes.The same thing is applicable to the "anaemia" thing.That causes of anaemia which are many is the disease.e g SCD,sickled cell anaemia.I.e Anaemia caused by sickle cell.you will not just say the patient has anaemia but SCD.

. A disease is morbid entity ordinarily characterized by two or
more of the following criteria: recognized etiologic
agent(s), identifiable group of signs and symptoms, or
consistent anatomic alterations.

colloquially for a layman,literature alway muddle the sign and symptom with disease.so,they call everything disease.

Medicos in the house will understand.I'm very sure the prof. will not say buhari has anaemia as a disease.
According to your definition there are no mental diseases,is that correct?

Is depression a disease?

Is schizophrenia a disease

What about Epilepsy is that a disease?

Is Autism a disease?
Type two diabetes does does not fulfil your 3 criteria rule since there is no anatomic change and the aetiology is almost always unknown or multiple. You have not shown how it is different from hypertension
You reason like an undergraduate
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Basic123: 11:32am On Mar 12, 2017
aribisala0:

According to your definition there are no mental diseases,is that correct?

Is depression a disease?

Is schizophrenia a disease

Is Autism a disease?
Type two diabetes does does not fulfil your 3 criteria rule since there is no anatomic change and the aetiology is almost always unknown or multiple
..They are.if you think they are not in line with my definition,proove it.
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Themandator: 11:32am On Mar 12, 2017
AreaFada2:
Actually the prof is said to be London-based. which surprises me even more. I have never heard of him & never seen any of his publications.

Should it surprise anyone that a 74 years old man has anaemia? Maybe a man more used to drinking milk, kunu/corn/millet based food and not actually cow meat?

Also, nobody mentions that Bubu's first daughter unfortunately died of sickle cell complications after childbirth.

Meaning Bubu would be a carrier. While it might not be significant in youth, stresses, malnutrition (includes eating the wrong food, one-sided food, not just hunger) old age, diseases like GI ulcers & other chronic diseases can make it become relevant.

Anaemia is merely a sign, not a diagnosis strictly speaking.

Anaemia of chronic disease is not uncommon in seniors over 70.

So the rumoured Crohn's disease can very well cause anaemia. Especially if the ileal or ileocolic type. Dame to the ileum impairs absorption of Vitamin B12, needed for Red blood cells. Gradual leakage of blood in the affected GI tract will also cause anaemia.

Anaemia from gradual blood loss causing iron deficiency would be microcytic anaemia & from Vit B12 deficiency would be the macrocytic type. Easy to differentiate under the microscope.

Papa, please I am not a doctor so I want to know if kunu and millet that you mentioned are good or bad for consumption because I no really understand your explain and as I dey read dey to na so d thing dey get more complex bec u come enter terms wey I no sabi like dame to ileum to macrocyclic ....all about want is kunu , fura ...den goo or not

Thank you
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by HardMirror(m): 11:35am On Mar 12, 2017
omenkaLives:
I didn't mean that sarcastically bro. I was truly thanking him because I never thought anaemia is a secondary disease. Thought it could occur on its own, independently.
Ok bro.
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Prinzyy: 11:35am On Mar 12, 2017
Jabioro:
What about his personal doctor..
check him in the other room cool
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 11:35am On Mar 12, 2017
I would very much like to know whether epilepsy is a disease and whether it is primary or secondary to anything
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by pestrolus2002(m): 11:37am On Mar 12, 2017
3.78billion naira is allocated to asorock clinic in this year's budget.. How much is a pint of blood in Abuja for someone to travel abroad to go and get blood transfused?
The prof should HV avoided the interview if he doesn't have anything to say, although it's unethical to come openly and tell the world anybodys ailment.
But he should not come out to tell us "anemia" because even my grandmother use to make the diagnosis when we are small by checking our eyes and buy us blood tonic. grin
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 11:37am On Mar 12, 2017
I would like to know whether erectile dysfunction is a disease

What about Alopecia with madarosis
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 11:39am On Mar 12, 2017
Basic123:
..They are.if you think they are not in line with my definition,proove it.
According to your definition

There must be 1.Anatomical
2. Aetiological
3. the observed changes of the condition

Please tell us the anatomical changes and aetiology that are accepted by the profession as typical of schizophrenia,depression or autism

PLEASE EXTEND THAT TO EPILEPSY whilst you are at it
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by toprealman: 11:41am On Mar 12, 2017
So blood transfusion is what our medical gurus cannot handle. Thus man called Buhari is a pathetic fraudster.
What happened to ending medical tourism?
The promise iphone7 only to deliver NOTHING.... not even Nokia 3310
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Basic123: 11:41am On Mar 12, 2017
aribisala0:

According to your definition

There must be 1.Anatomical
2. Aetiological
3. the observed changes of the condition

Please tell us the anatomical changes and aetiology that are accepted by the profession as typical of schizophrenia,depression or autism
..I don't have time.if you have a different submission.state it.
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Jabioro: 11:42am On Mar 12, 2017
Prinzyy:
check him in the other room cool
Today na Sunday I know dey laugh.. make you no force my teeth out.. una don broke my ribs last week..
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by AreaFada2: 11:43am On Mar 12, 2017
aribisala0:

If I work for you? Don't be ridiulous ,what is more likely is that you work for me.

No need to induge yourself in fantasy.ICD 10 may not be perfect but it is the best we have.You annot make up what you like.

At any rate did you read everythin the Prof said.I do not believe you did. You are just sounding off.
He made it very clear that he was speaking from a position of limited inforation without all the facts and that yes anaemia is almost always secondary to another condition.
If you read what he said then there really is no need for this conversation

Lol.

We are not here to brag o.

"You" in this case is hypothetical.

I wonder what you are flaring up about.

I made it clear that he can only speculate from limited info available.

One thing is certain.

I will never work for you & you will never work for me or under me.

I guess the ego & pride people display depends on the culture people are used to.

In a place where I see Noble Prize winners ride bicycle to work, who am I? cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 11:43am On Mar 12, 2017
Basic123:

Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat (the burden of proof is on the one who declares, not on one who denies)
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 11:45am On Mar 12, 2017
You say that these conditions are diseases and that they have recognized

1.Anatomical changes
2. aetiological factors.

The onus is on you
to provide evidence
Type 2 diabetes
Schizoprenia

Depression
Autism

Epilepsy
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by pestrolus2002(m): 11:47am On Mar 12, 2017
aribisala0:
Did you read the interview. Did you reflect on it before commenting.

You sound immature. You claim it is ALWAYS secondary to something. That may be true(it may be essential) but everything is secondary to something. Leaving that to one side once again did you read the interview? A mature doctor wants to be armed with the facts before condemning a colleague. Your post is self serving and not relevant to what HE ACTUALLY SAID.
Ok sir, thanks for your observations

At any rate have you ever used ICD 10 in your life to make charges for treatment ? Of what relevance is it to aything the prof said that "anaemia is always secondary". He indeed did say as much!!! Let us assume it is secondary to Iron deficiency that may be secondary to a vegetarian diet which is secondary to a religious belief which is secondary to a religious revelation or to poverty or to recession or to the dollar exchange rate ad infinitum.

That is the way medicinie is taught in Nigeria but . secondary conditions like Hypertension like diabetes like dermatitis like anxiety like vitiligo are indeed diagnoses. Nigerian trained doctors have a problem wiith intellectual humility.They know little but think they know everything
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by pestrolus2002(m): 11:48am On Mar 12, 2017
[quote author=pestrolus2002 post=54511514][/quote]
Ok sir, thanks for your observations
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 11:48am On Mar 12, 2017
AreaFada2:

Lol.

We are not here to brag o.

"You" in this case is hypothetical.

I wonder what you are flaring up about.

I made it clear that he can only speculate from limited info available.

One thing is certain.

I will never work for you & you will never work for me or under me.

I guess the ego & pride people display depends on the culture people are used to.

In a place where I see Noble Prize winners ride bicycle to work, who am I? cheesy grin

He himself made it clear he was speculating with limited information so no need to attribute to him what he did not do or say just to interject your profile. The Prof was balanced and objective and we must not lose sight of the context. He gave an interview and it was published outside his control
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by AngelicBeing: 11:48am On Mar 12, 2017
sarrki:
We have heard

Baba is the commander in chief

God will heal him completely of what ever sickness
grin grin wink
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by stasius: 11:52am On Mar 12, 2017
All these long story for anaemia?

Prof prof! I salute.

For the fact that he might have had bilateral total orchidectomy on account of Ca prostate is enough explanation for the anaemia. Spare US long explanation sir!
Testosterone which has permissive role in haematopoeisis is no longer there. Period! So the anaemia is not unusual.
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 11:54am On Mar 12, 2017
Basic123:

Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat (the burden of proof is on the one who declares, not on one who denies)
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by AreaFada2: 11:55am On Mar 12, 2017
Themandator:

Papa, please I am not a doctor so I want to know if kunu and millet that you mentioned are good or bad for consumption because I no really understand your explain and as I dey read dey to na so d thing dey get more complex bec u come enter terms wey I no sabi like dame to ileum to macrocyclic ....all about want is kunu , fura ...den goo or not

Thank you
Sorry. I meant to write "damage", not dame.

No boss, I did not mean to say kunu is bad.

Just that generally, we need to have a good mix of food: carbohydrate, protein (fish, red meat, beans), vegetable of various colours, fruits, nuts, etc.

Carbohydrate mainly gives energy and excess will end up as stored fat.

Of note is that we should now eat around 10 portions of combined fruit & veg daily. It used to be 5 portions.

Eat your carrots, orange/tangerine, mango, agbalumo, garden egg, ewedu, okro, okazi, green/red paprika and others. In addition to your fura da nunu, eba/garri, yam, etc grin cheesy
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by sartorius(m): 11:57am On Mar 12, 2017
Anaemia due to cancer
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 12:00pm On Mar 12, 2017
sartorius:
Anaemia due to cancer
Cancer due to .......Holy Ghost fire invocations......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch / President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) / Toyin Saraki Reacts As Atiku Wins PDP Presidential Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.