Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,747 members, 7,875,861 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:54 PM

"Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine (43855 Views)

Magu: Buhari Has Lost Control Of His Govt., Former Nigerian Leaders Say / Buhari Has Anaemia, Doctor Reveals -ads*4nairablog / Buhari Has Anaemia, Doctor Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Nobody: 12:07pm On Mar 12, 2017
kbvifjn'wqkrvnrokvnrowj IPOD GUYS ON GOOGLE NOW. CAN Anaemia KILL
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Basic123: 12:10pm On Mar 12, 2017
[quote author=pestrolus2002 post=54511514][/quote]......"sound immature"?.firstly.You dont have to insult one's personality before arguing your point.so take note of that incase of other time.

2ndly,what facts did the prof you dignified so much has to make a diagnosis from analysing a picture without any history.Anyway,as you've stated,you might have been thought to practice medicine that way abroad.

3rdly,In Nigeria,we were thought to always investigate anaemia to determine the cause which will form the basis of our diagnosis and treat it not just transfusing with blood and give heamatinics.

4thly,dippression,schiz and co still have pathological basis which form the basis on which their drugs for treatment act.Although some pathological basis are still at hypothetical stage.

5thly,it seems you are so eager to rubbish nigerian doctors than anything.You dont have to do that to Marshall your points sir.
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Basic123: 12:11pm On Mar 12, 2017
aribisala0:
Did you read the interview. Did you reflect on it before commenting.

You sound immature. You claim it is ALWAYS secondary to something. That may be true(it may be essential) but everything is secondary to something. Leaving that to one side once again did you read the interview? A mature doctor wants to be armed with the facts before condemning a colleague. Your post is self serving and not relevant to what HE ACTUALLY SAID.

At any rate have you ever used ICD 10 in your life to make charges for treatment ? Of what relevance is it to aything the prof said that "anaemia is always secondary". He indeed did say as much!!! Let us assume it is secondary to Iron deficiency that may be secondary to a vegetarian diet which is secondary to a religious belief which is secondary to a religious revelation or to poverty or to recession or to the dollar exchange rate ad infinitum.

That is the way medicinie is taught in Nigeria but . secondary conditions like Hypertension like diabetes like dermatitis like anxiety like vitiligo are indeed diagnoses. Nigerian trained doctors have a problem wiith intellectual humility.They know little but think they know everything
quote]......"sound immature"?.firstly.You dont have to
insult one's personality before arguing your point.so
take note of that incase of other time.
2ndly,what facts did the prof you dignified so much
has to make a diagnosis from analysing a picture
without any history.Anyway,as you've stated,you might
have been thought to practice medicine that way
abroad.
3rdly,In Nigeria,we were thought to always investigate
anaemia to determine the cause which will form the
basis of our diagnosis and treat it not just transfusing
with blood and give heamatinics.
4thly,dippression,schiz and co still have pathological
basis which form the basis on which their drugs for
treatment act.Although some pathological basis are
still at hypothetical stage.
5thly,it seems you are so eager to rubbish nigerian
doctors than anything.You dont have to do that to
Marshall your points sir.
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 12:24pm On Mar 12, 2017
Basic123:
quote]......"sound immature"?.firstly.You dont have to
insult one's personality before arguing your point.so
take note of that incase of other time.
2ndly,what facts did the prof you dignified so much
has to make a diagnosis from analysing a picture
without any history.Anyway,as you've stated,you might
have been thought to practice medicine that way
abroad.
3rdly,In Nigeria,we were thought to always investigate
anaemia to determine the cause which will form the
basis of our diagnosis and treat it not just transfusing
with blood and give heamatinics.
4thly,dippression,schiz and co still have pathological
basis which form the basis on which their drugs for
treatment act.Although some pathological basis are
still at hypothetical stage.
5thly,it seems you are so eager to rubbish nigerian
doctors than anything.You dont have to do that to
Marshall your points sir.

We are discussing a newspaper interview not conducting a hospital Grand Round.

So we need to read what the Prof said and contextualize it properly. There is no need to get into technilaties of what anaemia is or is not.
That is why in hospital it is the more senior and experienced doctors who are mandated to speak to the publc because they have the maturity to properly calibrate their words.

All that dialogue about causes of anaemia etc has its proper time and place . As far as the interview that I read goes it was properly pitched at the audience. The Prof was not addressing an annual scientific/medical conference but the public and his choice of words was spot on.

Nigerian doctors have a very bad attitude ,that is a fact. Not just nigerian doctors, policemen,judges,everyone.The doctors are arrogant and disrespectful and seem to think that textbooks are bibles.This is a cultural issue with the practice of medicine in Nigeria .
We cannot pretend otherwise. It is this same attitude that is reflected in this thread; The desire to put down or disparage overtakes the capacity to balance ,weigh and reflect.
Nigerian doctors do very well abroad often because they are smart but to do so they must first change attitude and imbibe the ability to say " I don't know". Something you willl never hear in Nigeria. We are here talking about "Anaemis is not a diagnosis" Where did that come from ? That is a technical matter and wholly irrelevant

I see absolutely nothing wrong with what the prof said but I am not surprised by what I have read here

1 Like

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Basic123: 12:26pm On Mar 12, 2017
aribisala0:

We are discussing a newspaper interview not conducting a hospital Grand Round.

So we need to read what the Prof said and contextualize it properly. There is no need to get into technilaties of what anaemia is or is not.
That is why in hospital it is the more senior and experienced doctors who are mandated to speak to the publc because they have the maturity to properly calibrate their words.

All that dialogue about causes of anaemia etc has its proper time and place . As far as the interview that I read goes it was properly pitched at the audience. The Prof was not addressing an annual scientific/medical conference but the public and his choice of words was spot on.

Nigerian doctors have a very bad attitude ,that is a fact. Not just nigerian doctors, policemen,judges,everyone.The doctors are arrogant and disrespectful and seem to think that textbooks are bibles.This is a cultural issue with the practice of medicine in Nigeria we cannot pretend otherwise. It is this same attitude that is reflected in this thread; The desire to put down or disparage overtakes the capacity to balance ,weigh and reflect.
Nigerian doctors do very well abroad often because they are smart but they must change attitude and imbibe the ability to say " I don't know". Something you willl never hear in Nigeria

I see absolutely nothing wrong with what the prof said but I am not surprised by what I have read head
ok
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Themandator: 12:30pm On Mar 12, 2017
AreaFada2:

Sorry. I meant to write "damage", not dame.

No boss, I did not meant to say kunu is bad.

Just that generally, we need to have a good mix of food: carbohydrate, protein (fish, red meat, beans), vegetable of various colours, fruits, nuts, etc.

Carbohydrate mainly gives energy and excess will end up as stored fat.

Of note is that we should now eat around 10 portions of combined fruit & veg daily. It used to be 5 portions.

Eat your carrots, orange/tangerine, mango,agbalumo, garden egg, ewedu, okro, okazi, green/red paprika and others. In addition to your fura da nunu, eba/garri, yam, etc grin cheesy

Ok. Thank you because I like that Kunu and fura combo and you come wrote like say I have being doing self medication....now I come panic tell my wife say trouble dey embarassed embarassed......thank you for the clarification....kunu continue
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by nwabobo: 12:35pm On Mar 12, 2017
Leopantro:
thank God it is not Malaria and Typhoid. the Prof knows anaemia very well; it is rare in Nigeria

if you do nor appreciate sarcasm, you will not understand what I wrote.

Lol. If a Prof. If Medicine really stated it as reported then he should be thinking of retiring ASAP. That's if he hasn't already done so.
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 12:38pm On Mar 12, 2017
Basic123:
ok
The Prof was not making a diagnosis. Last time I checked you need a patient to be making a diagnosis and Buhari is NOT his patient. We must not lose sight of the context

He was conducting an INTERVIEW with the press that was conjectural and speculative on a person of immense public interest and this is what he said
aribisala0:

There is therefore a preliminary diagnosis of anaemia meaning insufficient blood in the circulation
"it is imperative to know the possible causes of the anaemia.The question that arises in the absence of information, which is understandable, is the cause of the anaemia.
Is it possible that his anaemia is drug induced or drug related and that investigations in London revealed this? We do not know. If this is true common pain relieving drugs like Panadol may cause kidney damage and give rise to anaemia for which he received transfusions."

I do not see any confusion over what he said AT ALL

What does PRELIMINARY mean

The Prof has demonstrated clearly and unmistakably his understanding ofthe diagnostic issues as well as his professional maturity in carefully choosing the right words for the right audience

1 Like

Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 12, 2017
Kathmandu:
I don't do low lifers.
I feel you babe
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Basic123: 12:54pm On Mar 12, 2017
aribisala0:

The Prof was not making a diagnosis. Last time I checked you need a patient to be making a diagnosis and Buhari is NOT his patient. We must not lose sight of the context

He was conducting an INTERVIEW with the press that was conjectural and speculative on a person of immense public interest and this is what he said

I do not see any confusion over what he said AT ALL

What does PRELIMINARY mean
ok
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by 3plet: 12:55pm On Mar 12, 2017
[/color][color=#000099]anaemia could be the secondary effect of crohns disease and as well prostrate related issues
Caseless:
Hmmm...

And Saharareporters said it was "crohn's disease" and prostate related. Wondering if they have details of the diagnosis or they're his doctors.

Me to SR...
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Mightyodi: 12:57pm On Mar 12, 2017
People don't just get anaemic, something must be responsible, we are scientist and we know very well that treatment in chemotherapy and radiotherapy causes anaemia. Also bone marrow failure is not dysfunction that cause it if a person is not undergoing cancer treatment
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by teetee123: 1:33pm On Mar 12, 2017
In my own personal opinion I believe the Prof is right. He came up with the diagnosis of Anaemia due to the story of blood transfusion as part of PMB treatment. He also stated that the anaemia is due to something the public is not aware of.
An House Officer or Registrar cannot do clerking of a patient and said his diagnosis is just Anaemia. What is actually causing the anaemia? There are over 100 causes of anaemia. Any medical student or even patient relative can actually tell you there is blood deficit due to pale features of the patient and the work of a good medical practitioner is to find the definitive diagnosis.
Reading the medics comments here takes me back to the days of grand round muscle flexing by my chiefs.
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Pauly88: 1:56pm On Mar 12, 2017
The man just came back and price of garri shoot up by 100%. Him for just stay back for dat london o. The way am even seeing sef, like dis man is here to stay for a loooong time,if so den we are doommed. God help us all
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by TexasR: 5:09pm On Mar 12, 2017
I'm tired of all these guess work and secrecy

What I know is that before the end of this year,EVERYTHING SHALL BE REVEALED
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by kenedy175(m): 5:48pm On Mar 12, 2017
Anemia isn't a diagnosis or a disease. It's usually a symptom of a preexisting ailment. I doubt the doctor said that
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by Caseless: 6:23pm On Mar 12, 2017
3plet:
[/color][color=#000099]anaemia could be the secondary effect of crohns disease and as well prostrate related issues
oh! But I also heard that it's an inflammatory disease of the intestine associated with ulcer .
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 6:38pm On Mar 12, 2017
kenedy175:
Anemia isn't a diagnosis or a disease. It's usually a symptom of a preexisting ailment. I doubt the doctor said that
Really? What exactly is a "diagnosis"
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by kenedy175(m): 8:25pm On Mar 12, 2017
aribisala0:
Really? What exactly is a "diagnosis"

Diagnosis is a process involved in determining a disease condition... all what I'm saying is that Anemia isn't a disease. It's just a symptom. Someone Can't be diagnosed with Anemia.
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 8:37pm On Mar 12, 2017
kenedy175:

Diagnosis is a process involved in determining a disease condition... all what I'm saying is that Anemia isn't a disease. It's just a symptom. Someone Can't be diagnosed with Anemia.
I am sorry but you need to be clear. "Process" so is an X-ray a diagnosis? I am struggling. You said Anemia is NOT a diagnosis.
The World Health Organizaation says it is. In fact the WHO published a list of Diagnoses called the ICD 10 International Classification of Diseases-10 and Lists Anemia as a disease, including anemias of unknown aetiology

Now you say it is not a disease. How do you define disease??
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by kings09(m): 8:37pm On Mar 12, 2017
If na ipob, u n omenkalives n ngeneukwenu no go gree us hear
sarrki:
We have heard

Baba is the commander in chief

God will heal him completely of what ever sickness
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by emmaliver(m): 8:57pm On Mar 12, 2017
Anaemia of chronic illness. We know. Possibly there is already marrow infiltration n dyserythropoesis.
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by kenedy175(m): 2:43am On Mar 13, 2017
aribisala0:
I am sorry but you need to be clear. "Process" so is an X-ray a diagnosis? I am struggling. You said Anemia is NOT a diagnosis.
The World Health Organizaation says it is. In fact the WHO published a list of Diagnoses called the ICD 10 International Classification of Diseases-10 and Lists Anemia as a disease, including anemias of unknown aetiology

Now you say it is not a disease. How do you define disease??

A patient with renal failure can come down with Anemia. A patient suffering from Malaria can come down with Anemia. A patient suffering from malignancy can come down with Anemia. A malnourished patient can come down with anemia. A patient with any Chronic infection will definitely come down with anemia. Someone with trauma and burns can come down with anemia. Some drugs could Cause anemia... the list is endless.

As you can see, the anemia was caused by something. It didn't just occur by itself.. it is always secondary to..

It's like telling me someone was diagnosed with Fever. It doesn't make sense
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by aribisala0(m): 6:33am On Mar 13, 2017
kenedy175:

A patient with renal failure can come down with Anemia. A patient suffering from Malaria can come down with Anemia. A patient suffering from malignancy can come down with Anemia. A malnourished patient can come down with anemia. A patient with any Chronic infection will definitely come down with anemia. Someone with trauma and burns can come down with anemia. Some drugs could Cause anemia... the list is endless.

As you can see, the anemia was caused by something. It didn't just occur by itself.. it is always secondary to..

It's like telling me someone was diagnosed with Fever. It doesn't make sense

Rather than talking about what makes sense and offering proverbs. Please define the terms ,disease and diagnosi or do they not have definitions.

Science is no the place for proverbs
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by kenedy175(m): 7:03am On Mar 13, 2017
aribisala0:

Rather than talking about what makes sense and offering proverbs. Please define the terms ,disease and diagnosi or do they not have definitions.

Science is no the place for proverbs

Everything there is straight forward. You're the one trying to complicate things. If you are looking for definitions, get a dictionary and help yourself
Re: "Buhari Has Anaemia", Femi Williams, Professor Of Medicine by 3plet: 9:05am On Mar 15, 2017
[color=#770077][/color]cohn disease will prevent absorption of vitamin b12,which is a necessary factor for production of red blood cells,so in prolonged deficient state there could be anaemia
Caseless:
oh! But I also heard that it's an inflammatory disease of the intestine associated with ulcer .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Toyin Saraki Reacts As Atiku Wins PDP Presidential Ticket / Atiku Abubakar Celebrates Tinubu At 69 / Herdsmen Convert Ondo Forest Reserve Into Militia Camp - Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.