Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,500 members, 7,944,445 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 04:37 PM

Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) (48787 Views)

21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft / List Of New Words Added To The English Dictionary In 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by Alwaystruth: 3:42pm On Apr 01, 2017
All these insults and rubbish were because African man never had any clear cut vision of his own.
How could we sell out our God given languages and cultures and embrace a foreign language that we spent half of our lifetimes
on earth studying in order to prove we can speak it?. Worst still , our mumu presidents and leaders of Anglophone Africa made it
compulsory to pass English language before you can study certain degree courses in our institutions!!...One begin to imagine how many British
men and women can speak our local languages fluently.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by menxer: 3:50pm On Apr 01, 2017
hakeem4:
I remember the time when I was queuing up at the ATM. One girl just came to me and said "egbon, am in front of your back ooo"

I nearly died
Hahahahahahahahaha

... But she was philosophically correct.
grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by ogaub(m): 3:58pm On Apr 01, 2017
BT s information has been pass... dar d main aim of it.. chikina...
Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by ExInferis(m): 5:25pm On Apr 01, 2017
OneManLegion:
A lot of people claim fluency in English is not a sign of intelligence. While i share in their misery caused by the Patrick Obahiagon's of this world, I choose to disagree with that belief.
It takes a lot of cognitive strength to attain a commendable level of proficiency in a foreign language.

However, grandiloquence or verbosity isn't necessarily a sign of intelligence. In fact, most people who employ verbose verbiages are those who wish to be acknowledged as possessing superior intellect.

My, you're almost guilty of the same sin you denounce.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by DieDiamant: 5:52pm On Apr 01, 2017
Please try speaking our own indigenous languages. Let's see how it goes

Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by DieDiamant: 5:54pm On Apr 01, 2017
davidif:
As much as i love Naija and its people there are some things that really irritate me about the country and its the way they communicate with English language. Nigerians think that in other for them to express themselves in the English language, they have to uses flowery and superfluous words even when they know that a simple one would do. I came across this hillarious piece from the BBC that described this frustration i have with Nigerians and boy did it feel good to finally run into someone who shared my frustration with the Nigerian people. Enjoy hahahaha.

Letters from Africa: Nigeria's art of flowery language
In our series of letters from African journalists, novelist and writer Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani considers the art of Nigerian verbosity.

My friends in the international media are perplexed by the flowery language often used in press releases from Nigerian officials.
The pretentious diction, dying metaphors and padded sentences would make George Orwell somersault in his grave.

Take, for example, this paragraph from a press release by the Nigerian parliament:
"The seminar is aimed at making good the promise of the National Assembly that we are on the same page with the President Buhari led administration and in line with the legislative agenda, that there is a synergy between the National Assembly and the Presidency in the fight against corruption.
"It is to reaffirm the point that you cannot clap with one hand. It is our way of saying that there must be a legislative strength to back the anti-corruption stance of the present administration.
"

Here is another example, this time a paragraph from a Nigerian military press release:
"The Nigerian Army in synergy with other security agencies under its constitutional mandates... acted responsively in order to de-escalate the deteriorating security scenario in-situ.
"Instructively, the military and other security agencies exercised maximum restraints against the odds of provocative and inexplicable violence that were employed against them...
"It is rather inconceivable for any individual or group to have decided to inundate the general public with an anecdote of unverified narratives in order to discredit the Nigerian Army in the course of carrying out its constitutional duties despite the inexplicable premeditated and unprovoked attacks...
"

Such long-winded passages can also be found in the local press, which commonly use expressions such as "the remains of the deceased have been deposited in the mortuary", "men of the underworld", "hoodlums" and "tantamount to insubordination".

Foreigners wonder why Nigerian government officials do not opt for simpler language.

Are they intentionally trying to confuse the public or to conceal information?

Well, these press releases are simply following an age-old Nigerian tradition of verbal ornamentation.

For us, important information has always been best conveyed with grandiloquence.

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by Lecturebidz(m): 5:54pm On Apr 01, 2017
This is everywhere o,our anatomy Prof be like;
''The superior layer of the dermis forms numerous raised projections called dermal papillae,these interdigitate with the evagination of the epidermis called epidermal ridges! grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by Olutimo: 6:28pm On Apr 01, 2017
Have you explain​ yaself

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by Nobody: 6:48pm On Apr 01, 2017
Pidgin suppose to be the official language in Nigeria, like china, india, korea, japan and some other countries like that. Atleast we would be able to have 1 Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by Sirheny007(m): 7:24pm On Apr 01, 2017
I see "it" going extinct in the common Nigerian vocabulary..

I keep hearing "is well'... angry angry

They aren't even making it sound like "it's well"

Whatever happened to 'it' undecided
Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by Maccoy507: 7:29pm On Apr 01, 2017
Chiefpriest1:
Lol. Pure and undiluted verbosity. These are the little things they teach in regular journalism training sessions.

Unfortunately, not up to three of the hundreds of media houses in Nigeria organise training classes for their reporters/editors.

Simple rules: 1. if you can say it in three words , don't use five.

2. Keep it simple

Yesterday on twitter , somebody fried ordinary puff puff and called it mascourdes esculante or something.

Its just like the SGF cutting ordinary grasses for N250m and calling it 'degrassification of riverine pines '

When dem wan steal, them go dey use big grammar.

degrassification....lol I can't stop laughing

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by Exjoker(m): 7:30pm On Apr 01, 2017
It's true that some persons uses verbosity to wear out their audiance but the Nigeria masses do not go down the same way - that's why we employ the Nigerian pidgin English to ease lengthen communication

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by Nobody: 7:39pm On Apr 01, 2017
grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by DICKtator: 7:49pm On Apr 01, 2017
OneManLegion:
A lot of people claim fluency in English is not a sign of intelligence. While i share in their misery caused by the Patrick Obahiagon's of this world, I choose to disagree with that belief.
It takes a lot of cognitive strength to attain a commendable level of proficiency in a foreign language.

However, grandiloquence or verbosity isn't necessarily a sign of intelligence. In fact, most people who employ verbose verbiages are those who wish to be acknowledged as possessing superior intellect.

The irony!!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by makavelidon(m): 7:54pm On Apr 01, 2017
The better days of our national recovery are still ahead... This is the most important concern.
Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by OneManLegion(m): 8:21pm On Apr 01, 2017
ExInferis:

My, you're almost guilty of the same sin you denounce.

I wasn't being grandiloquent, your vocabulary needs expansion.
Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by Lilimax(f): 9:04pm On Apr 01, 2017
Jarus:
My British boss saw this article when it was first published two months ago and sent it to me by email with the accompanying message "Partly true?".

I had replied him with "very, very true" before knowing I just committed what the article was talking about.
lol

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by frankblinkz(m): 9:40pm On Apr 01, 2017
I think its high time Nigerians have their own dictionary..... Since we have our own English...isn't it?
Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by koolaid87: 10:55pm On Apr 01, 2017
musicwriter:
That's the purpose of education in Africa- to cause you to self-destruct. We've been trained to think speaking English means intelligence, so you can see why we must abandon our native languages in favor of English.

What a shame the owner of English is now telling us "your mumu don do". I wish one day Britain will also tell us how stupid we're for still putting English above our native languages.

You hit my soul with this..

'' I wish one day Britain will also tell us how stupid we're for still putting English above our native languages.''- musicwriter 2017

God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by musicwriter(m): 11:33pm On Apr 01, 2017
koolaid87:

You hit my soul with this..

'' I wish one day Britain will also tell us how stupid we're for still putting English above our native languages.''- musicwriter 2017

God bless you

Bless you too.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by ExInferis(m): 12:38am On Apr 02, 2017
OneManLegion:

There you go again.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by MrMaestro: 5:25pm On Apr 02, 2017
I love it!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by davidif: 10:26am On Apr 03, 2017
OneManLegion:

See irony.
Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by davidif: 10:31am On Apr 03, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:
Even in literature, the average Nigerian writer tries to impress using words straight out of the Queen's playbook. Reading an average column in a local newspaper consumes more calories than reading a similar article from the Guardian or Daily times UK.

If you doubt me read Saturday match comments on goal.com international and compare to match comments on goal.com Nigeria.

Bros I find it waaaaaay easier to read from CNN.com or from the New York Times than to read from Naija news.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by davidif: 10:33am On Apr 03, 2017
Bitcoiniler:

It is apparent you weren't taught how to differentiate "Their" and "There"

I probably was but it looks like I didn't pay attention or I simply forgot.
Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by davidif: 10:34am On Apr 03, 2017
khalhokage:
Being obtuse and intentionally confusing isn't what made Chinua Achebe & Chimamanda Adichie award winning authors though.

Tell em jare.
Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by davidif: 10:38am On Apr 03, 2017
Ighoga898:

even the op dat is correcting someone said there instead of their

Nope! I am not correcting anyone's grammar I am just against people using unecesary grammar when simple words will do.
Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by davidif: 10:41am On Apr 03, 2017
jaybim:
Besides some obviously flawed grammar and almost zero punctuation, I'd say you are equally guilty of that which you have complained about.

Everyone writes from within a social fabric and that fabric to a large extent colours what he writes and how he writes it.

Yes my grammar is technically flawed especially since I am writing on a public forum to pass time but that's not the issue. The issue i raised here is when people use unnecessary language when they can use a simpler one. End of story.
Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by davidif: 10:44am On Apr 03, 2017
limitless777:
NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING IS WRONG with our use of English. it's an epic demonstration of class and the level of our advancement.

Y was Wole Soyinka whose write ups U need the dictionary to fathom and Achebe given worldwide recognition?

this people sef, yet IF we are below this level a lot of them will indict and run down our educational standard. na wah O.

listen to Jay Z's, Nas', Talib Kweli's, Jadakiss' lyrics and U all we marvel at the level of intellectual capacities of EVEN this non-graduates command of the English language.

I don't buy this ttrraaash.

It's called context. Those guys you are talking about don't use the same lingo when communicating with other people now do they?

There is a reason journalists are taught to keep it short and simple. It seems our Naija journalists skipped those lessons.
Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by jaybim: 11:47am On Apr 03, 2017
davidif:

Yes my grammar is technically flawed especially since I am writing on a public forum to pass time but that's not the issue. The issue i raised here is when people use unnecessary language when they can use a simpler one. End of story.

Nothing personal bro...
What I stated, in a nutshell... You wrote the same way. Your piece could have been simpler, less verbose.
Some folks pointed it out too.
It's just the way we are.
Re: Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) by davidif: 5:54am On Apr 08, 2017
Ighoga898:

the thing just weak me

Keep liking at the trees while ignoring the forest.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tom Ilube Is The Most Powerful Black Man In Britain / Slay Queen Pops 100 Bottles Of Andre Wine On Her Body After Graduation / UNIMAID Lecturer, Dr Abdulkadir Murdered On Campus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.