Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,382 members, 7,974,574 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 07:47 AM

Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? (8718 Views)

My Marriage Is Crashing, I Think I Hate Him...Help / My 2 Months Old Marriage Is Crashing - HELP ME / I Think Marriage In Africa Is Against Women. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Wrex(m): 7:57am On Dec 31, 2009
No,marriage is not overrated.He that findth a wife findth a good thing, some people just rush into it and rush out, they don't seek the guidiance of God,
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by OAM4J: 8:02am On Dec 31, 2009
becomrich;:

Here is it. I am not a church goer, I not a church worker , I am born again. The real issue is greed and foolishness. 
And when one partner is proud and arrogant. It kills a marriage.
You cant only have a good marriage if you have two humble and honest people. If the other people is a liar and a cheat, you can have a good marriage.
If a person is arrogant and proud. How can they have good marriage.

If your marriage depend on your pastor or church or parent. You would never have a good marriage. Look I have an aunty whose whole life was destroyed by a pastor. I am telling you the truth. if i am telling a lie her cousin use to be with the NTA, you know her. The pastor was a 419 pastor. He was a pastor because he was collecting thier money and telling them lies.  That why you find me, critic pastor alot. Till this moment I am talking this aunty of mine, never had a baby. She should be about 60 years now. Her married got destroyed because she assume that all pastors are men of God. That not truth. If a pastors is looking for the down fall of your marriage. How can that man be a pastors.

You see let me put it this way have you seen Pastor Adeboye wife going to Bishop Oyedepo church every sunday?  No. If Pastor Adeboye start going to Bishop Oyedepo church , Do you think Bishop Oyedepo would question it. If he is a man of God? But if he does not question it. He is a false pastor. It means , he is more interested in the tithe and offering you offer him than your life.

What Am I saying is that God has a principle. I dont care if you are in North america. There is a principle God as laid in the bible if one person in a relationship does not follow it. The marriage is over.

Take your external family out of your marriage. If your sister, mother , father , pastor and brother are now the people, who determine your life  is finished. Look your brother only care for his children, so is your sister. When they say kill one person. They would shoot your child and let thier only child live. This is wisdom. It is like a story of a witch, they say bring your husband let us eat today, why dont you ask them, why they have not brought thier own husband, so that you can eat him first.??

Look, if you give pastor adeboye a gun and in a boat one person need to live. Your child or pastor adeboye child. 1 second history is made. Why, the yorubas says ti eni te ni, te to te to.  Well I dont  know how to explain this in english. But its means what is your is your and what is others is others.

If you give an igboman the chance to kill an igboman or kill a yorubaman to save one. The igbo man would shoot down the yoruba man several times. Why? They igbos would call it "Nkem". That how life and marriage is. If you take your partner like your, it would work. If your put other thing above your partner like mother, sister, brother, pastor , church and others. Your marriage would never work.

I say it again. The igbos call it   " Nkem"

lol. Preach it.  grin grin  Its ok to use use some maps for further illustration and clarity  grin
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by degubi(m): 8:06am On Dec 31, 2009
Is marriage overrated? Yes and No. Yes because we think we need to meet up with the jonses . No because when you you realise that the man/woman is someone you love being with you would be willing to spend the rest of your life with the person.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by sayso: 8:30am On Dec 31, 2009
have we tried to think that not every person on the face of the earth should be married?some are made to be alone from their mother's womb,some grow up with it not to marry,while some decided on them self not to marry,this was explained to us in the bible for those with Christian faith and I believe it is so,when some one that is not suppose to marry does,what do you think will happen?Your quests is as good as mine,divorce or separation.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by OEO: 8:58am On Dec 31, 2009
QUITTERS DONT WIN AND WINNERS DONT QUIT!

IT IS WELL.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by finemocha(f): 9:04am On Dec 31, 2009
interesting, the guys on this post gave the best responses
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by muchacho: 9:44am On Dec 31, 2009
I think it's a way of life that brings about relationship,
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Nobody: 9:49am On Dec 31, 2009
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by modestdude(m): 10:43am On Dec 31, 2009
yeah Marriage is a mirage and an illusion in Nigeria! ladies dabble into marriages on selfish reasons, to satisfy the urge not to have poverty a carryover. and more so the fantasies we imagine from foreign films and "Marriage; a paradise on earth" books from hungry authors, makes us think marriage is a bed of roses which its not. single parents, single mothers, and divorces will continue to grow in numbers if we do not cut the crap off some imported lifestyles of the west. ladies should tow the lines of our grannies and mothers who had better understandings and tolerance in relationships and marriages, and above all to be prayerful. My Mother is a living example
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Nobody: 10:49am On Dec 31, 2009
Yes. As well as love and child birth.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by ezan(m): 11:05am On Dec 31, 2009
Yes, it is.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by ruskiee(m): 11:21am On Dec 31, 2009
I guess marriage isn't what it used to be.
More single parenting today than ever before. And it's the children that suffer it all.

I really think individuals should marry when they are ready.
But thanks to peer pressure, family, and society a lot of peeps rush into marriage-and rush out with divorce.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by ucnduka(f): 12:20pm On Dec 31, 2009
Marriage overated? I dont think so rather I think people have overated views about marriage. Alot of folks prepare so much for their wedding but dont put in so much effort for the marriage which is a life thing. Also, the society puts so much pressure on young folks that personally I think people are getting too eccentric about it instead of reasonable. Marriage has been abused because people forget that God is the originator of marriage and so if direction and help is not gotten from Him the marriage will hit the rocks. People forget that there is a time for everything- a time to be single and a time to get married instead they pressurize singles that are not ready. Marriage is honorable and symbolic in the sight of God but since there's always two sides to everything, it is not exempted. If you say yes marriage is overated or you say no it is not , you are right.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by kristonium(m): 2:18pm On Dec 31, 2009
@the poster

i have seen happy couples

i have seen husbands who are very happy with their marriage and would think of marrying the same spouse over and over again

i have seen wives who are experiencing heaven on earth in their marriages

i have seen children who are so happy with their parents whether rich or poor

and so, on

now,is marriage overrated?
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 31, 2009
in nigeria its always blown out of proportion.if u r a lady n not yet married anytin beyond 28 u'll be getting some disdainful luk from people n of course d usual chorus from ur hommies is 'wen will u get married,i want 2 see my grand children',as if child bearing is d fundamental reason 4 marriage n of course if u r a guy ure not left out 2,u'll get some stylish rude remarks from society.infact its a sign of irresponsibility n waywardness 4 a man not 2 be married b4 35 n 28 4 women
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Dec 31, 2009
Marriage is not overated, one just needs the wisdom to do the right thing at the right time
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Fhemmmy: 5:38pm On Dec 31, 2009
ifedy:

Marriage is not overated, one just needs the wisdom to do the right thing at the right time

If that is the case, then, that means most people have no idea what is the right time and the right thing to be done, cos marriage seems to have failed the people and the products of it.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by africhika(f): 6:31pm On Dec 31, 2009
just because some pple made bad decisions doesn't mean marriage is overrated.

marriage is a beautiful thing- a man and woman committing their lives to each other.

truly divine.

it's cynical to think its overrated.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by coolier(f): 6:42pm On Dec 31, 2009
Yeah, I think so.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by chuxy12(m): 7:15pm On Dec 31, 2009
TRUTH IS MARRIAGE IS A SACRIFICE. most peeps think it is rosy rosy all through
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Dec 31, 2009
Fhemmmy:

If that is the case, then, that means most people have no idea what is the right time and the right thing to be done, cos marriage seems to have failed the people and the products of it.
Thats why d best thing is to commit everything we do unto GOD's hands
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Blazay(m): 9:34pm On Dec 31, 2009
very over-rated.

Wise men say, only fools rush in.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Kilonso: 9:38pm On Dec 31, 2009
@0AM4J, what on God's green earth are you talking about?
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Kilonso: 10:24pm On Dec 31, 2009
Saying that marriage is overrated is just like saying that life is overrated as well. So since there is an Umar Farooq Abdullah, just as there are a numberless of individuals who live their lives with utmost reckless abandon, would not give the room for an utterance such as saying that life is overrated. And I needn't remind anyone here that the life most of us got is as a result of the (so-called overrated) marriages which took places at some points in some time. So an institution such as marriage can never be overrated. Other institutions such as your churches, your schools, your banks and you as individuals could be overrated but not marriage. A number of marriages might have failed, but out of a good number of those failed marriages, inspiring individuals who did a number on us have emerged.
Once other institutions fail. nothing good, and I mean nothing good come out of them from that moment, because they were overrated.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by bidemi12(m): 10:47pm On Dec 31, 2009
Kilonso:

Saying that marriage is overrated is just like saying that life is overrated as well. So since there is an Umar Farooq Abdullah, just as there are a numberless of individuals who live their lives with utmost reckless abandon, would not give the room for an utterance such as saying that life is overrated. And I needn't remind anyone here that the life most of us got is as a result of the (so-called overrated) marriages which took places at some points in some time. So an institution such as marriage can never be overrated. Other institutions such as your churches, your schools, your banks and you as individuals could be overrated but not marriage. A number of marriages might have failed, but out of a good number of those failed marriages, inspiring individuals who did a number on us have emerged.
Once other institutions fail. nothing good, and I mean nothing good come out of them from that moment, because they were overrated.

I'm confused. undecided
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Kilonso: 10:55pm On Dec 31, 2009
bidemi12:

I'm confused. undecided

Why are confused? Isn't the saying "marriage is overrated" dogmatic?
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by bidemi12(m): 11:03pm On Dec 31, 2009
Kilonso:

Why are confused? Isn't the saying "marriage is overrated" dogmatic?

Oh, you mean you are arguing for Marriage. So sorry. Sometimes i can be so slow. The way you zig zaged aroung your arguement made me dizzy for a while. I'm with you. Me too i'm all for the institution of marriage. grin

1 Like

Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by OAM4J: 11:53pm On Dec 31, 2009
Kilonso:

@0AM4J, what on God's green earth are you talking about?

You people should understand the subject. It is not about whether people should marry or nor. It's asking if marriage is overrated. I have no problem with people getting married. Personally I believe in marriage too.

But I think it is overated, because, a lot of people approach it as if it is a mater of life and death, especially many African women (no insult intended)

Many people are getting married because they believe after certain age, whether you can afford it or not, whether you have all it takes or not, you just have to get married.

This is wrong. Anyone going into marriage should be ready, and be very sure he /she knows exactly why he/she is getting married and can afford all it takes. And not just get married for marriage sake.

We must accept the fact that, not everybody has what it takes to get married. Some are born eunuchs, some were made eunuchs and some other made themselves eunuchs. Mat.19:12

If you do not have all it takes (love, finance, emotions, commitment, sacrifice, faithfulness etc) for marriage to work, dont do it. Your life can be beautiful and fulfilling without it.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by frecklesnz: 2:50am On Jan 01, 2010
When it is good it is wonderful. When it goes bad it is beyond horrible.

I think Marriage is no longer given the respect it deserves. Why must woman always be messing with other woman's husbands. What has happened so that a husband doesn't even have to look outside the marriage because some dirty hoebag is already sliding inside to your house and life to use him up. Of course the younger unused woman will be sexier. She will also issue promises cause she thinks you will be rich and give her what she wants.

I realize I am just naive but I never saw this coming. That everywhere my husband and I went women were introducing themselves and making hints. At first it was just embarrassing then it started to turn his head.

Well he has gone off now with some younger woman who is full of promises. I hope he will find contentment but I suspect he wont.

If a couple can be left alone to work out there issues or as was earlier stated given the support of family then things can be fixed. But in a society where you expect to have everything you want right now, and if you don't then just grab it off someone else. I don't see much hope for marriages in general.

I wish you all a happy New Year and Pray that God can bring joy to your marriages in this 2010.
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by Kilonso: 3:56am On Jan 01, 2010
Happy new year everyone! grin
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by mystikal(m): 4:19am On Jan 01, 2010
most def
Re: Do you ever think Marriage Is Overrated? by chika98: 4:20am On Jan 01, 2010
mystikal:

most def

Happy New Year you! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Should The Man Bear The Whole Financial Expenses In The House? / Family Section Debate::: Please Vote for a topic of your choice. / Do You Really Love The Person You Married?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.