Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,023 members, 7,890,360 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 01:02 PM

Does Nigerian Culture Deny Young People Of Opportunities Because They Are Young? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does Nigerian Culture Deny Young People Of Opportunities Because They Are Young? (763 Views)

***nigerian Culture To Answer A Question With Another Question?*** / What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? / Questions About Nigerian Culture And Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Nigerian Culture Deny Young People Of Opportunities Because They Are Young? by Princek12(m): 6:07pm On Jan 01, 2010
I was just watching Bill Gates on MSNBC when Mr. Gates stated that he was successful in business mainly because Americans embrace young talents. Mr. Gates gave a specific example of how as a young executive he was able to hire older executives who did not question his authority nor fail to follow his orders. They respected his talent and innate business acumen, irregardless of his age. Similarly, among others, the American system of embracing young talent cultivated the young google executives, a then young apple executive, Steve Jobs, and the current young facebook executive. Also, in the political arena, many U.S. senators begin their political careers in their mid-20s to early 30s.

In Nigeria, on the other hand, older people tend to fence young people from partaking in the political process. Like the political arena, the Nigerian business culture is practically reluctant in embracing young talents who have the potential to invent and manage their own company; for instance, I am sure the older folks in Nigeria will reject the acts of a putative 19-yr old executive who wants to hire a 40-yr old executive. In my recent visit to Abuja, I did not see a single young person who was actively involved in politics. I did, however, see them play the role of chauffeurs and messengers and errand-boys to this older, big-stomach politicians and business executives, perhaps with the mindset that the only way to be successful in Nigerian politics and business is by being an "errand boy" for this older politicians rather than independently galvanizing their own support from the people.

Nigeria's potential will not be fully harnessed unless this mentality stops. My fellow people of Nairaland, can you chime in on this matter; I think this is a serious matter.

P.S. By referring to a young person who runs a company, I do not mean a young person who sells pure water on the side of the street; one who sells recharge cards during traffic jams; or one who fixes GSM sets. I mean a young person who runs a company like GLO or MTN or the likes.
Re: Does Nigerian Culture Deny Young People Of Opportunities Because They Are Young? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jan 01, 2010
If you wash your hands you'll eat with kings.

if you dont believe in washing your hands then quit whining.
Re: Does Nigerian Culture Deny Young People Of Opportunities Because They Are Young? by Princek12(m): 11:41pm On Jan 01, 2010
tpia, I was lost while interpreting your proverb. What is your point?
Re: Does Nigerian Culture Deny Young People Of Opportunities Because They Are Young? by Nobody: 4:54am On Jan 03, 2010
in America, a young executive who hires an older workstaff might not let it get to his head.

In Nigeria, a 19 year old executive who finds himself in a top position, may spend all his time abusing everyone s/he feels is older or less priviledged than him or her. Doesnt make for goodwill on the part of the workers.

just an observation. In European culture, politeness is valued.

In any case, a 19 year old Nigerian will likely still be in school.

and selling pure water or chinchin on the streets doesnt mean the hawker cant own a bigger business later on.

I do see your point, and some companies do have young executives though this isnt the norm back home.

(1) (Reply)

Which Language Do You Like Besides Yours? / The Left Arm, What's The Taboo? / BECOME LANDLORD WITH N350,000 (XMAS PROMO N250,000 ENDING 19TH DEC) 07068198049

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.