Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,756 members, 7,879,289 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 03:29 PM

Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter (11051 Views)

18 African Countries Grew GDP Above 5% In 2017—afdb / How Dangote Will Rescue Nigeria / Dangote set to become largest rice exporter by 2021, says ADB President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by masterpiece86: 7:37am On Apr 18, 2017
The President of the African Development Bank (AfDB), Mr. Akinwumi Adesina, has said Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, will become the largest exporter of rice in the world by 2021.
Adesina said this at the Mo Ibrahim Forum in Morocco at the weekend.

He said Africa should focus on agriculture to drive growth and employment on the continent.
Adesina, according to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), recalled that during his tenure as Nigeria’s Minister of Agriculture, Dangote decided to invest in local production of rice due to government’s import substitution policies.

He said Dangote initially planned a $300 million investment in production and processing of rice in Nigeria but later changed it to $1 billion three months after.
“If they continue that policy, he would probably be the single largest producer of rice in the world in about four years.

“The reason I was so excited about that is that agriculture is cool; agriculture is a business and agriculture pays,” Adesina said.
Dangote, the Chairman of Dangote Group, said he ventured into rice cultivation because of government’s interest to revive agriculture as the mainstay of the economy and reduce importation of food that could be produced locally.

He lamented that Nigeria consumes 6.5 million metric tonnes of rice which costs the nation over $2 billion annually and commended government’s policy that encourages private sector’s active participation in agriculture.

“In the next three years, we want to produce one million tonnes of quality rice, make it available and affordable to the people.
“We hope to do 150,000 hectares and when we are done, Nigeria will not have anything to do with importation of rice,” Dangote said.

According to him, Dangote Rice Outgrowers Scheme is committed to creating employment, increasing incomes of smallholders farmers and ensuring food security in the country.

He said to achieve the goal, the scheme would provide high quality seeds, fertilisers, agro-chemicals and technical assistance on the best agricultural practice to farmers.

“This scheme will help to diversify the economy, alleviate poverty and reduce the nation’s import bill.
“The scheme has been designed as a one-stop solution for the rice value chain,” Dangote stated.
The pilot phase of the Dangote Outgrowers Scheme launched in Sokoto State would create jobs for 16,000 rice farmers in the state.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/04/18/afdb-president-predicts-dangote-will-become-largest-world-rice-exporter/

1 Share

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by sarrki(m): 7:39am On Apr 18, 2017
Maybe not

We are not folding our arms too

I will be the one in that position at the rate I am moving

God bless all our hustle

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by SkenolProp(m): 7:48am On Apr 18, 2017
I believe this. That guy is on a business roller-coaster.

An ACRE of land for sale!
Location : Along okota road, Cele Bus Stop, off Apapa Oshodi Expressway.

Contact us... 08158645514 for further details.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by ojun50(m): 7:49am On Apr 18, 2017
Rice for 9ja or i dey wait
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Mopolchi: 7:52am On Apr 18, 2017
smiley
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by kings09(m): 7:52am On Apr 18, 2017
And so
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by ThinkWISELY(m): 7:52am On Apr 18, 2017
sarrki:
Maybe not

We are not folding our arms too

I will be the one in that position at the rate I am moving

God bless all our hustle

cool cool cool
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by KingLennon(m): 7:54am On Apr 18, 2017
Agriculture is big business in Africa and creates a large amount of revenue for Nigeria. But sadly we prioritize oil production than Agriculture. Dangote is very intuitive and he's putting his money where the money is.

1 Like

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by mikeycharles(m): 7:54am On Apr 18, 2017
hey Adeshina the man that helped in revolutionizing our agricultural sector.

3 Likes

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by SooCute(m): 7:54am On Apr 18, 2017
wink

2 Likes

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Holatunde007(m): 7:54am On Apr 18, 2017
Largest exporter indeed when his citizen can't even consume rice at very cheap price.....
Meanwhile
Pls I need work either factory or catering serving

4 Likes

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Lanre4uonly(m): 7:54am On Apr 18, 2017
It is noted.
God bless Nigeria.
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by BRIGHTRIVERS(m): 7:55am On Apr 18, 2017
AFDB or ADB?
It's a good news.The junior brother of my father's step sister's step Son will soon be a Trillionare smiley
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by SirHouloo(m): 7:55am On Apr 18, 2017
Dangote again... Same story about his refinery... So where has all the embezzled billions our politicians been siphoning going to?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Pavore9: 7:55am On Apr 18, 2017
Hoping so.
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by girlhaley(f): 7:55am On Apr 18, 2017
We pray o
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by smartty68(m): 7:56am On Apr 18, 2017
I hope so too. Oya go and include it in Nairabet and see how many peeps tickets go cut cut upandan grin
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 18, 2017
Enough of this crap joor... What about his country?
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 18, 2017
He shouldn't predict for himself ooo continue to predict for other person. Remember Dangote is human and he started small.

1 Like

charity begins at home.he should become the largest importer in Nigeria first
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by koladebrainiac(m): 7:58am On Apr 18, 2017
This would be great but it will affect some other company who wants to do rice farming too
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by smartty68(m): 7:58am On Apr 18, 2017
yourexcellency:
charity begins at home.he should become the largest importer in Nigeria first

Importer or Exporter?

Which one?

2 Likes

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by smartty68(m): 7:59am On Apr 18, 2017
koladebrainiac:
This would be great but it will affect some other company who wants to do rice farming too
If competition doesn't exist in a business environment then the price of commodity won't fall

1 Like

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Nobody: 7:59am On Apr 18, 2017
Yes. keep wishing good for Nigeria to have the best exporter whereas IPOB terrorist groups are wishing Buhari dead. Dangote God is your strength. Your enemies will fail like PDP
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Moreoffaith(m): 7:59am On Apr 18, 2017
And when he becomes that what will happen to Nigerians We suffer it right... Have you forgotten what he promised us on cement

A bag of cement now is 2300 if I am right.
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Nobody: 8:00am On Apr 18, 2017
masterpiece86:
The President of the African Development Bank (AfDB), Mr. Akinwumi Adesina, has said Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, will become the largest exporter of rice in the world by 2021.
Adesina said this at the Mo Ibrahim Forum in Morocco at the weekend.

He said Africa should focus on agriculture to drive growth and employment on the continent.

“The reason I was so excited about that is that agriculture is cool; agriculture is a business and agriculture pays,” Adesina said.

You gotta love Adesina's passion for agriculture. It's almost infectious.

However we need to explore ways of making financing available to more people.

A lot of young people here really want to play in the agriculture game, maybe not up to Dangote's scale. But it seems they are not given enough attention, perhaps because they are not of Dangote's size.

If we have more successful micro/medium agro-entrepreneurs, we can reach food sufficiency faster. It will also help bridge the wide gap between the extremely rich and the poor in this land.

Cheers
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by ednut1(m): 8:01am On Apr 18, 2017
Waiting for those who will shout monopoly undecided
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by smartty68(m): 8:02am On Apr 18, 2017
Moreoffaith:
And when he becomes that what will happen to Nigerians We suffer it right... Have you forgotten what he promised us on cement

A bag of cement now is 2300 if I am right.

Baba na so we country dey. Na so so promise and fail be our leaders watchword
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by philEscobar(m): 8:02am On Apr 18, 2017
My mentor!! Dangote i cante wait or this man's convoy to hit my dog ahhhhh ahhhh.... Gbese!!! i af blow be dat!!! Efe go envy m
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by philEscobar(m): 8:02am On Apr 18, 2017
My mentor!! Dangote i can wait or this man's convoy to hit my dog ahhhhh ahhhh.... Gbese!!! i af blow be dat!!! Efe go envy m
My mentor!! Dangote i cant wait or this man's convoy to hit my dog ahhhhh ahhhh.... Gbese!!! i af blow be dat!!! Efe go envy m
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by smartty68(m): 8:03am On Apr 18, 2017
philEscobar:
My mentor!! Dangote i cant wait or this man's convoy to hit my dog ahhhhh ahhhh.... Gbese!!! i af blow be dat!!! Efe go envy m

Kwontinu waiting...

Lemme go and find where I kept my whistle sef

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Is Trying To Develop Without Industrializing / CBN: Cassava Derivatives Import Costs N183 Billion Annually / Faster Way Of Getting Paid With Payoneer In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.