Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,975 members, 7,931,378 topics. Date: Monday, 26 August 2024 at 12:50 AM

Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter (11103 Views)

18 African Countries Grew GDP Above 5% In 2017—afdb / How Dangote Will Rescue Nigeria / Dangote set to become largest rice exporter by 2021, says ADB President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by rozayx5(m): 8:06am On Apr 18, 2017
cool cool
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by sakalisis(m): 8:06am On Apr 18, 2017
Good for him
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by aribisala0(m): 8:07am On Apr 18, 2017
SooCute:
If he is in the government's good book and has enough money to make mistakes, he can take over any market.
You can clap over it but hey, its not overtly healthy for our economy in the long run.
I love him though but hey, that dude hold our government for blokos!
In the long run Dangote will die. He is 60 now.ultimately Nigeria and Nigerians will be the winner. Who remembers Rockefeller today .
What he is doing is very healthy ,in the long run his businesses will be listed in the stock exchange and will be a platform for Nigerian economic expansion in Africa

1 Like

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Moreoffaith(m): 8:07am On Apr 18, 2017
smartty68:

Baba na so we country dey. Na so so promise and fail be our leaders watchword

Bro no go lie you I don tire for the country walai...and with all this money wet dem dey carry one day dem go die dem no go fit spend one naira from the money...

U no see wetin Multichoice don't turn for our country now All the paytv wet enter naija no fit survive cos of premier league
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by lastmessenger: 8:09am On Apr 18, 2017
Good thing is happening here in naija. We just need security and total eradication of corruption and corrupt politicians and every other thing will fall in place.
God bless our country.
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by obaino860: 8:10am On Apr 18, 2017
smartty68:

If competition doesn't exist in a business environment then the price of commodity won't fall

Nigerian government do not welcome competition, especially when it relate to dangote....they will look for a way and frustrate you
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by alsudaes1(m): 8:12am On Apr 18, 2017
smartty68:

If competition doesn't exist in a business environment then the price of commodity won't fall
Of course yes, , ,
My primary concern is the price, though he promised it will be affordable
But looking at what is happening to the price of cement which he also controls, I'm skeptical about the price of his rice being affordable
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by koladebrainiac(m): 8:12am On Apr 18, 2017
smartty68:

You dont get it
He has already monopolized Cement. He will do the same to rice.

Now how will this relate to economy debelopment? My take is aside from job n export it wont help more on bridging the gab of middle class n rich class.
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by marshalcarter: 8:13am On Apr 18, 2017
despite how rich this guy is....he's still grindin haaardundecided naim my p-man dey here dey talk nonsense wey full him mouth undecided hustle...you no gree hustle.... give pesin money....you no dey give...undecided SMH

I must make am
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Nobody: 8:21am On Apr 18, 2017
Moreoffaith:
And when he becomes that what will happen to Nigerians We suffer it right... Have you forgotten what he promised us on cement

A bag of cement now is 2300 if I am right.

N2,300?

E be like I go dey buy from you...
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Moreoffaith(m): 8:24am On Apr 18, 2017
alignacademy:

N2,300?

E be like I go dey buy from you...

E son cos pass that one again bro??
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by ifyain: 8:34am On Apr 18, 2017
Agriculture is a business with marginal profit. it is cheaper to import rice than to farm it here in the country. farmers in europe and america survives because of government subsidies and cheap loan which Mr Dangote also enjoy from his cronies in government.here in the UK dairy farmers are dumping milk at the supermarket doors because they were losing money as the price the supermarket were paying for their product is not profitable.the dumb government of Nigeria will make you believe that agriculture will save Africa but that is a fraud. The money is high tech and education, but since they are not smart enough to realise that, it is all about simplistic solution.

2 Likes

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by tectonotimes: 8:36am On Apr 18, 2017
masterpiece86:
The President of the African Development Bank (AfDB), Mr. Akinwumi Adesina, has said Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, will become the largest exporter of rice in the world by 2021.
Adesina said this at the Mo Ibrahim Forum in Morocco at the weekend.

He said Africa should focus on agriculture to drive growth and employment on the continent.
Adesina, according to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), recalled that during his tenure as Nigeria’s Minister of Agriculture, Dangote decided to invest in local production of rice due to government’s import substitution policies.

He said Dangote initially planned a $300 million investment in production and processing of rice in Nigeria but later changed it to $1 billion three months after.
“If they continue that policy, he would probably be the single largest producer of rice in the world in about four years.

“The reason I was so excited about that is that agriculture is cool; agriculture is a business and agriculture pays,” Adesina said.
Dangote, the Chairman of Dangote Group, said he ventured into rice cultivation because of government’s interest to revive agriculture as the mainstay of the economy and reduce importation of food that could be produced locally.

He lamented that Nigeria consumes 6.5 million metric tonnes of rice which costs the nation over $2 billion annually and commended government’s policy that encourages private sector’s active participation in agriculture.

“In the next three years, we want to produce one million tonnes of quality rice, make it available and affordable to the people.
“We hope to do 150,000 hectares and when we are done, Nigeria will not have anything to do with importation of rice,” Dangote said.

According to him, Dangote Rice Outgrowers Scheme is committed to creating employment, increasing incomes of smallholders farmers and ensuring food security in the country.

He said to achieve the goal, the scheme would provide high quality seeds, fertilisers, agro-chemicals and technical assistance on the best agricultural practice to farmers.

“This scheme will help to diversify the economy, alleviate poverty and reduce the nation’s import bill.
“The scheme has been designed as a one-stop solution for the rice value chain,” Dangote stated.
The pilot phase of the Dangote Outgrowers Scheme launched in Sokoto State would create jobs for 16,000 rice farmers in the state.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/04/18/afdb-president-predicts-dangote-will-become-largest-world-rice-exporter/

Click on the first link on my signature to learn how to export agricultural products.
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Nobody: 8:41am On Apr 18, 2017
good.
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by proffc: 8:43am On Apr 18, 2017
SooCute:
If he is in the government's good book and has enough money to make mistakes, he can take over any market.
You can clap over it but hey, its not overtly healthy for our economy in the long run.
I love him though but hey, that dude hold our government for blokos!

Thank God he's a Nigerian. He might seem to be running a monopoly today, but we need more 'monopolies' run by private individuals and not Government and this is why. Over time they will get more efficient, they will employ a lot of smart intelligent people who, deepen the transfer of technology, his staff will understand the technology and transfer that knowledge to the rest of us. In the long run, the monopoly will inadvertently produce equally knowledgeable people who will then meet people with resources to recreate the success they've learnt from a monopoly. They might take just a part of the whole process, reproduce it and make it better. In the long run it will be good for Nigeria and Nigerians. There will be more jobs, there will be more money and there will be better advancement in living. The caveat is to prevent the Govt. from ever meddling in the affairs more than as a regulator. Read about Rockefeller, J.P Morgan etc and see how the monopolies they created became a positive driver of the future.

2 Likes

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by maasoap(m): 8:48am On Apr 18, 2017
Holatunde007:
Largest exporter indeed when his citizen can't even consume rice at very cheap price.....
Meanwhile
Pls I need work either factory or catering serving
His citizens? How did we become Dangote citizens? Of course, I got your message.
But the news is like this: the man is just moving into the rice farming, just like his interest in sugarcane farming and oil Refinery.
BTW: it is not his responsibility to feed the nation, it is the responsibility of your governments.
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by aribisala0(m): 8:51am On Apr 18, 2017
ifyain:
Agriculture is a business with marginal profit. it is cheaper to import rice than to farm it here in the country. farmers in europe and america survives because of government subsidies and cheap loan which Mr Dangote also enjoy from his cronies in government.here in the UK dairy farmers are dumping milk at the supermarket doors because they were losing money as the price the supermarket were paying for their product is not profitable.the dumb government of Nigeria will make you believe that agriculture will save Africa but that is a fraud. The money is high tech and education, but since they are not smart enough to realise that, it is all about simplistic solution.
Opinionated gibberish. Have you ever planted rice before. You just sit down typing rubbish and think you know everything
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Nobody: 8:51am On Apr 18, 2017
`
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by oyienootieno: 9:00am On Apr 18, 2017
Let him cure the hunger back home first before exporting. Else its another means to transfer our national wealth to a safer place..
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 9:04am On Apr 18, 2017
sarrki:
Maybe not

We are not folding our arms too

I will be the one in that position at the rate I am moving

God bless all our hustle

Yes ooo why Dangote keep progressing, Igbo Businessmen keep hating and funding IPOB hahah..

1 Like

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by tuna4servi(m): 9:05am On Apr 18, 2017
In his home country rice is noting to write home about now u are telling us nonsense.

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by toprealman: 9:13am On Apr 18, 2017
Rather than give Dangote all the subversions to make this happen, why not spread the goodies around. This monopoly game is becoming too boring.
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:14am On Apr 18, 2017
ifyain:

You're right. But that level of reasoning is too high for the folks on NL.
In any case, Is Dangote the only business person in Nigeria?
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:24am On Apr 18, 2017
proffc:

Thank God he's a Nigerian. He might seem to be running a monopoly today, but we need more 'monopolies' run by private individuals and not Government and this is why. Over time they will get more efficient, they will employ a lot of smart intelligent people who, deepen the transfer of technology, his staff will understand the technology and transfer that knowledge to the rest of us. In the long run, the monopoly will inadvertently produce equally knowledgeable people who will then meet people with resources to recreate the success they've learnt from a monopoly. They might take just a part of the whole process, reproduce it and make it better. In the long run it will be good for Nigeria and Nigerians. There will be more jobs, there will be more money and there will be better advancement in living. The caveat is to prevent the Govt. from ever meddling in the affairs more than as a regulator. Read about Rockefeller, J.P Morgan etc and see how the monopolies they created became a positive driver of the future.

I disagree with parts of your conclusion.

It is actually efficient, farsighted and knowledgeable government regulation that grows economies . Examples of successful and highly regulated economies are USA, GB, Australia, the EU, China. All economies in the world with weak regulation are poor.

Rockefeller and the early 'robber barons' of 19th century America grew large businesses alright but also did a lot through their monopolies to destroy competitors and set back innovation in America by decades.
This was why at the earliest opportunity, the monopolies they created were dismantled by government.

Dangote is the Rockefeller of Nigeria. He runs monopolies and uses the power of government to further his business.

If you study his antecedents in the 80's and 90's, his scrapes with the NSE, how he runs his business now paying peanuts and employing Indians over Nigerians, etc you will come to realize he is not as spotless as he looks.
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Ejanla07: 9:32am On Apr 18, 2017
sarrki:
Maybe not

We are not folding our arms too

I will be the one in that position at the rate I am moving

God bless all our hustle

U mean with the 250k BMC pay
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by hope4life: 9:48am On Apr 18, 2017
SkenolProp:
I believe this. That guy is on a business roller-coaster.

An ACRE of land for sale!
Location : Along okota road, Cele Bus Stop, off Apapa Oshodi Expressway.

Contact us... 08158645514 for further details.

An acre of land in such a place in Lagos. My friend stop the joke. If it's true how much and what documents available?
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by SkenolProp(m): 10:22am On Apr 18, 2017
hope4life:

An acre of land in such a place in Lagos. My friend stop the joke. If it's true how much and what documents available?

Sir, thanks for your concern. We are a registered organisation and we neither joke with our job nor our clients. Sir, you can PM us or call us..... 08158645514 for further details on the property.
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by SkenolProp(m): 10:25am On Apr 18, 2017
hope4life:

Sir, thanks for your concern. We are a registered organisation and we neither joke with our job nor our clients. Sir, you can PM us or call us..... 08158645514 for further details on the property.
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by ifyain: 11:39am On Apr 18, 2017
aribisala0:

Opinionated gibberish. Have you ever planted rice before. You just sit down typing rubbish and think you know everything
Please do your research, I live here in the UK and also a farmer there in Nigeria. I am a member of the British farmer,s association so I can talk with authority in this field. the only advantage in been a farmer in Nigeria is cheap labour and that is not even quality labour. If Mr. Dangote were to operate his business model here in Europe, his company won,t last a day.
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by aribisala0(m): 12:00pm On Apr 18, 2017
ifyain:

Please do your research, I live here in the UK and also a farmer there in Nigeria. I am a member of the British farmer,s association so I can talk with authority in this field. the only advantage in been a farmer in Nigeria is cheap labour and that is not even quality labour. If Mr. Dangote were to operate his business model here in Europe, his company won,t last a day.
Biography not required. Your sweeping generalisation that farming is unprofitable is silly. Many of these farmers are massive corporate entities eg Wilmar , Chiquita Dole
If you live in the UK as you claim get on a train and travel from Aberdeen to Penzance you will find over 70% of the scenery to be under some form of cultivation or agricultural use.The fact that more industrialised nations subsidise their farmers is true but you clearly misunderstĺĺand the issues and come across as one of those people with a little knowledge who thinks he knows everything.
There is a time for everything .Rice is a labour intensive crop better suited to poorer countries with cheap labour .As a nation industrialises and labour costs rise it may no longer be competitive to plant specific crops without subsidies but there is nothing like pure economics because food is not purely an economic matter. It is a security one too. So subsidy is defence spending
At this time in our history investing in rice production is a fantastic investment decision
Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Jesusloveyou: 12:22pm On Apr 18, 2017
mikeycharles:
hey Adeshina the man that helped in revolutionizing our agricultural sector.
revolutionise your agriculturer sector by importing virtually everything, what is his agriculturer policies.

1 Like

Re: Afdb President Predicts Dangote Will Become Largest World Rice Exporter by Jesusloveyou: 12:41pm On Apr 18, 2017
obaino860:

Nigerian government do not welcome competition, especially when it relate to dangote....they will look for a way and frustrate you
not in this govt, that was under pdp

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Are Imported Goods Excessively Expensive In Nigeria? / Rochas Okorocha And The Road To 2023: Is It Indeed Southeast Turn? / Faster Way Of Getting Paid With Payoneer In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.