Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,163 members, 7,884,049 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 10:26 PM

Attorney General Goofs In Court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Attorney General Goofs In Court (1448 Views)

APC Will Only Substitute Audu For Kogi Supplementary Election - Attorney General / Saraki Goofs, Says No Need For Senate Confirmation For New Service Chiefs / Apc Chairman Goofs Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Attorney General Goofs In Court by macdot(m): 12:08pm On Jan 03, 2010
Shortly after the Federal High Court finished the first mention of a suit brought against the federal executive by Femi Falana, a Lagos lawyer; the court went into another session on a similar case.

This time it was Bamidele Aturu, another Lagos lawyer, asking the court to compel the vice president, Goodluck Jonathan, to act in the absence of President Umaru Yar'Adua because the continued absence of Mr Yar'Adua is beginning to affect him too.

The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Michael Aondoakaa was the defendant in both cases. But just before he introduced the state counsel that entered appearance with him for Mr. Aturu's suit, Mr. Aondoakaa told the judge that he had noticed an error in the submission of Mr. Aturu and as such could not continue his defence.

The justice minister told the judge that instead of referring to the Federal Executive Council (popularly called FEC) in his suit, Mr. Aturu made reference to the Executive Council of the Federation which, he claimed, did not exist. He demanded that Mr. Aturu use FEC in his submission unless "he would be referring to someone else."

Thereafter, he went ahead to introduce his team.

When it was Mr. Aturu's turn to introduce his team, he set off to address what he termed the minister's "ignorance of the constitution."

"My Lord, I must thank the Attorney General for insisting that the right must be done; but, unfortunately, this time around, I am not going to agree with him," he said. "The name is Executive Council of the Federation, by virtue of Section 144 of the constitution of Nigeria."

Ignorant minister

Immediately he mentioned this, the Attorney General and his team frantically pulled out their copies of the 1999 Constitution and hastily flipped through its pages, in search of the section Mr. Aturu mentioned. At this point, members of the audience werestruggling to muffle their laughter to evade the contempt of the court.

Mr. Aturu argued that he had studied the 1999 constitution and there is no place where the law made reference to an entity like Federal Executive Council.

The judge accepted Mr. Aturu's arguments and the hearing continued.

But outside the court room, observers who witnessed the short drama were already in clusters asking themselves: "Did the minister just goof? Didn't he know all the while that FEC is an unconstitutional coinage?"

Some argued that the minister is perhaps too busy with politics that he has little time to study the little details in the constitution. But others argued that as a Justice Minister, he should sleep and wake on the constitution.
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5505323-147/story.csp

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
EVERY DAY IN NAIJA NA DRAMA!!!! SO HELP US GOD,
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by MrCrackles(m): 12:11pm On Jan 03, 2010
I am not suprised. . .
The attorney general is clueless. . . .
How the fuc.k did he emerge in the first place?
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by Jaybee2412(m): 12:15pm On Jan 03, 2010
Attorney General my foot - Please could someone verify his Law Degrees.
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by Gbawe: 12:22pm On Jan 03, 2010
MrCrackles:

I am not suprised. . .
The attorney general is clueless. . . .
How the fuc.k did he emerge in the first place?

Thank Ibori, OBJ, Odili and all the other corrupt politicians who wanted a 'Volton' to protect them against accounting for how they looted Nigeria dry. Aondoakaa is a total disgrace to Nigeria. Everytime he opens his mouth , in desperate haste to protect his criminal masters, you can expect a ridiculous gaffe that embarrasses Nigeria further.
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by MrCrackles(m): 12:29pm On Jan 03, 2010
Gbawe:

Thank Ibori, OBJ, Odili and all the other corrupt politicians who wanted a 'Volton' to protect them against accounting for how they looted Nigeria dry. Aondoakaa is a total disgrace to Nigeria. Everytime he opens his mouth , in desperate haste to protect his criminal masters, you can expect a ridiculous gaffe that embarrasses Nigeria further.
It is a really sad situation. . . .
When you have someone like Aondoakaa in a such a sensitive position, then you are bound to continue wallowing in lawlessness as well as promotion of corruption, injustice and flouting of legal codes. . .
It is disgraceful . .Not just internally but externally {the rest of the world}
Nigeria is a big joke. . .
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by Choco5: 1:28pm On Jan 03, 2010
Is that all?
One line of 'goof'
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by vigasimple(m): 1:45pm On Jan 03, 2010
Choco5:

Is that all?
One line of 'goof'

I am sorry you don't know what you are talking about.  On a practical note it is more serious than 'one line goof'

Let me use an example, If you work for Virgin Nigeria as the most Senior Lawyer , and your employer ask you whom do you work for , you do not only insist that you work for Nigeria Virgin but that Nigeria Virgin is the right name and you are the one who brought up the name issue as Nigeria Virgin when the documents incorporatng the company said the Name is Virgin Nigeria. You are liable to be sacked immediately

In law, there is ocean of difference between Nigeria Virgin and Virgin Nigeria. If you an iliterate you may not know or appreciate the difference, but when there is litigation in court, then that becomes mightly important.

Infact, you sue/bring proceedings against the wrong party, you will have wasted your time, money and the judgement is unenforceable.

It is a resigning or firing offence for the Chief Law office of the country not to know the name of his employer or what was writen in the constitution. 

SHAME ON HIM.

AGF Idonkia is just a mighty big fool, he knows it, he must be on drugs made from stolen Nigerian money.

He should resign immediately. tongue
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by MrCrackles(m): 1:46pm On Jan 03, 2010
vigasimple:

I am sorry you don't know wha you are talking about.  On a practical note
Tell him again pls. . . .
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by Choco5: 2:05pm On Jan 03, 2010
vigasimple:

I am sorry you don't know what you are talking about.  On a practical note it is more serious than 'one line goof'

Let me use an example, If you work for Virgin Nigeria, and your employer ask you whom do you work for , you do not only insist that you work for Nigeria Virgin but that Nigeria Virgin is the right name and you are the one who brought up the name issue as Nigeria Virgin when the documents incorporatng the company said the Name is Virgin Nigeria. You are liable to be sacked immediately

In law, there is ocean of difference between Nigeria Virgin and Virgin Nigeria. If you an iliterate you may not know or appreciate the difference, but when there is litigation in court, then that becomes mightly important.

Infact, you sue/bring proceedings against the wrong party, you will have wasted your time, money and the judgement is unenforceable.

It is a resigning or firing offence for the Chief Law office of the country not to know the name of his employer or what was writen in the constitution. 

SHAME ON HIM.

AGF Idonkia is just a mighty big fool, he knows it, he must be on drugs made from stolen Nigerian money.

MrCrackles:

Tell him again pls. . . .

Na wa o wetin I do na?
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by klassyguy(m): 2:42pm On Jan 03, 2010
i dnt blame the guy. i blame his oga for putting someone who is such a disgrace to the whole SANs and Law in general to such a sensitive position.
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by netpro(m): 2:42pm On Jan 03, 2010
Choco5:

Na wa o wetin I do na?

You mess inside court.  grin grin
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by violent(m): 2:59pm On Jan 03, 2010
vigasimple:

shocked shocked shocked

This is Nigeria man, we never use such words, the President can explain what i mean
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by kosovo(m): 4:55pm On Jan 03, 2010
Pathetic
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by saintvalo: 5:50pm On Jan 03, 2010
dump ass political thug lawyer
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jan 03, 2010
Hardly surprising. There's no end to the embarrassment this guy puts us through everytime he opens his mouth. I only hope someone, anyone, will do us a favour and put this man where he belongs - back in primary school.
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jan 03, 2010
By the way, that was hilarious! Nice one, Barr. Aturu!
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by kokoA(m): 6:22pm On Jan 03, 2010
And he is a SAN
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by sholasys: 6:23pm On Jan 03, 2010
I will not totally agree that he is not aware of the that fact that FEC is non exist in our constitution. He may be playing politics or delay litigation otherwise he should be sent back to law sch.
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jan 03, 2010
Shows how low the standard for SAN is now. Tant pis!
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by rhymz(m): 6:33pm On Jan 03, 2010
This idiot is a total goofball,am not surprise the fool that is supposed to be the chief law officer is the one making a mockery of it.
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by OAM4J: 6:41pm On Jan 03, 2010
Can you imagine that?

Nonsense!!!
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by vigasimple(m): 7:05pm On Jan 03, 2010
sholasys:

I will not totally agree that he is not aware of the that fact that FEC is non exist in our constitution. He may be playing politics or delay litigation otherwise he should be sent back to law sch.

He is not playing politics, he does not know because he has NOT read the constitution. He was previously a criminal defence lawyer defending notorious fraudsters like IBORI and co, and he got his postings for several reasons, one of such is to render EFCC useless against his 'former' ( or shall we say current clients like Ibori).

In any good system a reknown criminal defence counsel will NEVER be appointed AGF because of fear of conflicts of interest. Unfortunately, this is Nigeria, and Nigerian factor of anything can happen is there.

NIGERIA, GREAT NATION, GOOD PEOPLE, DAFT AGF, DEFENDER OF AN ABSENT PRESIDENT grin grin grin
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by Knight1(m): 8:47pm On Jan 03, 2010
I'm so full of Joy and Hope
That's how he'll continue to make a fool of himself until he is brought down totally by reproach and disgrace and plenty other bad things grin

@poster, can you get a video of it youtubed, i want to sponsor it on AIT grin
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by Leefrancis(m): 10:20pm On Jan 03, 2010
I can't imagine having a dull, foolish, daft and a drunk like d AGF as a father.§

he is a disgrace 2 his household, SAN and the nation at large.

I therefore nominate him 4 the most foolish man of decade award worldwide.

GOD DELIVER US FROM HIS EVIL PLOT
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by Beaf: 10:27pm On Jan 03, 2010
The justice minister told the judge that instead of referring to the Federal Executive Council (popularly called FEC) in his suit, Mr. Aturu made reference to the Executive Council of the Federation which, he claimed, did not exist. He demanded that Mr. Aturu use FEC in his submission unless "he would be referring to someone else."

Thereafter, he went ahead to introduce his team.

When it was Mr. Aturu's turn to introduce his team, he set off to address what he termed the minister's "ignorance of the constitution."

"My Lord, I must thank the Attorney General for insisting that the right must be done; but, unfortunately, this time around, I am not going to agree with him," he said. "The name is Executive Council of the Federation, by virtue of Section 144 of the constitution of Nigeria."

. . .Therefore, the Federal Executive Council (FEC) is illegal. shocked
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by Leefrancis(m): 10:38pm On Jan 03, 2010
I can't imagine having a dull, foolish, daft and a drunk like d AGF as a father.§

he is a disgrace 2 his household, SAN and the nation at large.

I therefore nominate him 4 the most foolish man of decade award worldwide.

GOD DELIVER US FROM HIS EVIL PLOT
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by bilymuse: 11:39pm On Jan 03, 2010
the mumu AGF is the grand protector of looters, 419 and the Nigeria mafia; who are ruling the country.

the fool does not know the Constitution, but he can interpret it
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by Leefrancis(m): 11:58pm On Jan 03, 2010
Ho!,what a great loss to our great nation,'GANI' of blessed memory. for that fool,would not hve survived a sec, in d legal arena by d time Gani is thru with him. U cud imagine d hopes of Nigerians depending on 'IDONKIA''s legal knowledge base. What a disgrace.
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by Leefrancis(m): 12:09am On Jan 04, 2010
Ho!,what a great loss to our great nation,'GANI' of blessed memory. for that fool,would not hve survived a sec, in d legal arena by d time Gani is thru with him. U cud imagine d hopes of Nigerians depending on 'IDONKIA''s legal knowledge base. What a disgrace.
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by macdot(m): 9:14am On Jan 04, 2010
Knight1:

I'm so full of Joy and Hope
That's how he'll continue to make a fool of himself until he is brought down totally by reproach and disgrace and plenty other bad things grin

@poster, can you get a video of it youtubed, i want to sponsor it on AIT grin

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by chidichris(m): 9:37am On Jan 04, 2010
if it is all about this case, mr aturu shlds have known the difference between fec and the executive council of federal republic of nigeria.
mr aturu is a learned gentle man and must always act in a way different from all of us here.
aso rock and pdp are failures and as such, u must be a failure to work with these group of failures.
goat can never give birth to a cow.
the attorney general is like a movie actor with a script.
nigeria can go no where unless we leave all these feather weights and go for the heavy weight criminals who have taken nigeria as their personal business.
we all know the untouchables and they are our problems and not all these paid labourers.
Re: Attorney General Goofs In Court by clemiss(m): 11:24am On Jan 04, 2010
@poster crackles!! the idiot was appointed by your yaradullly.

(1) (2) (Reply)

New 5000 Note To Carry D Face Of 3 NIGERIAN Women / Afam4eva: Who Owns Portharcourt? / PDP Delegate Counts: 2015 PDP Convention Is Jonathan's Waterloo......Facts!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.