Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,519 members, 7,885,169 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 02:44 AM

How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua (26593 Views)

Anthony Joshua's Close Friends Die Of Coronavirus / Exposed:The Nigerian Boxing Official Who Rejected Anthony Joshua 10 Years Ago / Anthony Joshua Beats Wladimir Klitschko: WBA Heavyweight Fight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by olamikhail(m): 9:06am On May 01, 2017
aribisala0:
He was not good enough then. He improved since.Kini big deal.

Mike Tyson never got to the Olympics

Ogbeni i respect your lies o!!! !

Wehdone sir.

Tyson never made it to the olympics #yinmu.
Abegi, check your facts again.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Nobody: 9:07am On May 01, 2017
martineverest:
Samuel Peter? Chieruka ukogu? National basketball team?
It was akwa ibom state government who sponsored Samuel Peters to few of his boxing trips with begging from the boxer fans and sport journalists.The rest funds came from his foreign promoters.
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by domido(m): 9:08am On May 01, 2017
martineverest:
Before u start commenting foolishly, ask ursef: Nigeria is known for favoring foreign athletes to locals, Y was he rejected?

I watched the interview of Mr nwakpa on ESPN and he gave his reasons and he was right
And what's the reason?
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Nobody: 9:09am On May 01, 2017
Mrchippychappy:
All this Joshua stories would end when Deontay Wilder knocks him out in the 3rd round.
It's impossible.
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Nobody: 9:09am On May 01, 2017
Sad we don't appreciate talent, that is why developed countries will remain developed,corruption and nepotism have clouded our judgements! if this should continue Africans will continue to make foreigners proud
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Handsomecutepie: 9:12am On May 01, 2017
cooldood:

Gbam,you know how this yeye country called zoogeria is, these people should just stop all these trying to link AJ's success to 9ja.People thrive in serene environments not animal kingdom like 9ja.

You are a fool like your fellow worthless kinsmen from your erosion ravaged region.

I guess your Kanu and JJ Okocha played for England before they become what they eventually became...

I also guess that all the foreign players(Nigerians living in diaspora with dual citizenship) in our National Basketball team and Nollywood were given chances in UK before being allowed in Nigeria to make their names

Just Bleep off Animals living in Zoo
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by kencoinz(m): 9:13am On May 01, 2017
Baze1:
Jeremiah Okorodudu, a former boxing champion, has revealed how boxing rave of the moment, Anthony Joshua, was rejected by Nigerian boxing officials nine years ago.
Joshua caught global attention and became a darling of boxing fans Saturday night after he humiliated Wladimir Klitschko, at the Wembley Stadium in England.
Speaking with UK Sun, Okorodud recalled that nine years back, Joshua’s efforts to represent Nigeria at the 2008 Olympic Games were futile as the Nigerian boxing officials turned him down.
He said, “Joshua was in Nigeria once to connect with his roots and I think that was in 2007.
“He wanted a chance to compete for trials ahead of the 2008 Beijing Olympics qualifiers, but he was denied and not given a chance.
“Disappointed, he went back to England to represent Great Britain.
“He went on to win a gold that could have been a first for Nigeria at the Olympics.
“If only they had allowed him to compete for Nigeria, that gold would have been a Nigerian gold and not Great Britain’s.”
Another Nigeria coach at the time, Adegboyega Adeniji-Adele also confirmed the fact that Joshua was at the Nigerian camp.
“Oluwafemi Olaseni Joshua is his name and his family come from Ogun state in Nigeria,” he said.
“When he visited, his intention was to represent Nigeria at the Olympics but he was denied in the trials. He had no other option than to go to Britain.
“It’s Nigeria’s loss, Britain’s gain. Personally, I feel sad that they let him go and those people should be made to explain why it was impossible to give him a chance.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/05/nigerian-boxing-officials-rejected-anthony-joshua/

Some people will now say die for naija. Never sick nation with sick leaders.
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Nobody: 9:20am On May 01, 2017
Handsomecutepie:

You are a fool like your fellow worthless kinsmen from your erosion ravaged region.

I guess your Kanu and JJ Okocha played for England before they become what they eventually became...

I also guess that all the foreign players(Nigerians living in diaspora with dual citizenship) in our National Basketball team and Nollywood were given chances in UK before being allowed in Nigeria to make their names

Just Bleep off Animals living in Zoo
With all the bribe to get a place in Nigerian super eagles and flying eagles team.If not they would not have achieved their goals.
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by adontcare(f): 9:20am On May 01, 2017
webincomeplus:
I know we'll soon start hearing shitty stories like this. By next week, we should also see headlines on how Joshua once hawked akara to make a living.

As for the assertion that he could have won the gold medal for Nigeria if given the chance, I disagree. Nigeria is known for working hard against the success of her citizens. And the fact that he wasn't given the chance is enough proof.

Here in our crappy country, a senator's nephew who can't knock out a pillow will be chosen over real boxing talents. And even if a real boxer is given the chance, the NBF will fail to release funds for his welfare and training tours because the foolish pot-bellied people in charge have stolen the funds meant for that.
u too sabi book abeg. Chop knuckles. That's d way it is in naija
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Nobody: 9:24am On May 01, 2017
abescom:
Reminds me the story of David Alaba that was sent back from the Under 17 camp years ago because he doesn't have boots.

Haaaaa!

Really?
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by kby: 9:25am On May 01, 2017
Nigeria is just like Arsenal FC,they would reject u when u are still upcoming, u go on to achieve success with another team, then they will start lamenting...
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by hahn(m): 9:26am On May 01, 2017
webincomeplus:
I know we'll soon start hearing shitty stories like this. By next week, we should also see headlines on how Joshua once hawked akara to make a living.

As for the assertion that he could have won the gold medal for Nigeria if given the chance, I disagree. Nigeria is known for working hard against the success of her citizens. And the fact that he wasn't given the chance is enough proof.

Here in our crappy country, a senator's nephew who can't knock out a pillow will be chosen over real boxing talents. And even if a real boxer is given the chance, the NBF will fail to release funds for his welfare and training tours because the foolish pot-bellied people in charge have stolen the funds meant for that.

Exactly why I created this thread https://www.nairaland.com/2246221/nigeria-really-claim-achievements-nigerians
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by goldfish80(m): 9:27am On May 01, 2017
The gold medal he won at the London Olympics was controversial. In the gold medal bout, he got a favorable decision (home decision) against the Kagastani. Anybody familiar with boxing will understand what home decision means.
Even the quarter finals bout was controversial.

Had he represented Nigeria, he wouldn't get those decisions and would not smell the gold medal. That is the gospel truth.
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by successinlife: 9:34am On May 01, 2017
abescom:
Reminds me the story of David Alaba that was sent back from the Under 17 camp years ago because he doesn't have boots.

This is not true,he was rejected because he was deemed fragile,what we termed stamina in Nigeria.The boy has been in football academy since age 5,how come he left Austria for Nigeria U-17 trials without boots,If his parents can afford his flight ticket why can't they afford 20euro boot?
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by koolguy88(m): 9:36am On May 01, 2017
The stone the builders has rejected shall one day become the corner stone.
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by quickly: 9:37am On May 01, 2017
If he competed for Naija he wouldn't win that medal. What of the boxers RIGHT now at national stadium training with no support.

Until they represent another country b4 u value dem.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by HqBoss: 9:47am On May 01, 2017
if he had represented Nigeria he would have missed his opportunity to become great. Ahn ahn Nigerian sports officials will owe athletes their money, the athletes will loss hope of becoming something tangible
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by fadigalfemi(m): 9:52am On May 01, 2017
Am sure he wouldn't av won the title if he represent nigeria.
Reasons:
He wouldn't be well fed
He wouldn't be well trained(how do you expect poorly fed coach to train poorly fed anthony)
He wouldn't be support financially.
His dream would av be marred by nigeria economic recession.
Now we are calling him oluwafemi omo ogun abeg no tell me sey Nigeria dey envy him º°˚˚˚°ºoº°˚˚˚°º
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by GuntersChain(m): 9:54am On May 01, 2017
Story that touch, success have many friends
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by successinlife: 10:07am On May 01, 2017
Truth is bitter,if AJ represented Naija 2008 olympics he wouldn't have won no medal because of two factors,believe me or not,solid preparation before a big event is always needed for any athletes to do well in any competition,Nigeria lacks in this perspective,a good example is the last RIO olympics where a foreigner,Japanesse have to come to the rescue of a big nation like Nigeria with lots of billionaires etc.You may not know but it is a fact,big nations are always favoured over small or third world countries,please don't compare age grade competitions here because the super powers don't take it serious.There would rather be ojoro/bad officiating etc for any african team to defeat Italy/Spain/England/France etc at a crucial stage in football world cup for example.That's why most of anything discovered/made outside the powerfuls will still be termed underbaked.

Joshua doing it as a Briton of Nigeria root is still ok,there is more to it,Joshua is Irish because of dad's dual Ntaionality,Nigerian because of mum and then British because of his place of birth but trust GB anything good is theirs and anything not up to standards is quickly refered back to it's origin.A. Murray was always termed scotish/Scots Murray whenever he looses at his early carrier but when the tides changes and he is winning he became british Andy Murray.The guy knows it all and he said he is proud of his Nigerian root,which to me settles all discord.
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by Nobody: 10:07am On May 01, 2017
webincomeplus:

God bless u. I wish I could land on first page to disbunk dat guy's amusing fallacy, but am glad u did it perfectly well. "I Know Nigeria - A country that works well against the success of her citizens"

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by richard870(m): 10:13am On May 01, 2017
All these stories because he WON!
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by aribisala0(m): 10:32am On May 01, 2017
olamikhail:

Wehdone sir.

Tell us which Olympics he went to year and place
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by toprealman: 10:43am On May 01, 2017
You guys should chill. It is possible the coaches had better options then. But trust me aJ must have put in a whole lot of work after that rejection. Nigeria just don't support new talents....in all areas; sports, politics, academia, entertainment... etc.
I am 100% sure AJ would have disappeared.... like Chukwumerieje (Takwandoo guy) if he represented Nigeria.
Lesson:
1) Every disappointment is a potential blessing, if you know what you are looking for.
2) Do not let people, environment or systems define you....look in the mirror and tell yourself who you really are.
3) Really success has no shortcut....the only route to it is via work lane!
4) Nigeria is running a default program that needs urgent reformatting and reprogramming!
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by mechanics(m): 10:48am On May 01, 2017
That shows the level of corruption and impunity in our sport sector, assuming he represented us, it would have been a thing of joy.
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by aribisala0(m): 10:54am On May 01, 2017
olamikhail:

Wehdone sir.

You no go answer?

MUMU
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by wizod(m): 11:01am On May 01, 2017
[color=#006600][/color]nobody will accept him because he didn't give bribe. Useless country rule by monkeys and babboons
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by nemynely(m): 11:12am On May 01, 2017
webincomeplus:

bro, i can't agree less. on point.
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by greatman247(m): 11:13am On May 01, 2017
The rejected stone has become the chief cornerstone. Nigeria too like good soup after e don done
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by einsteine(m): 11:15am On May 01, 2017
abescom:

Hmmm. This is obviously a lie. David Alaba has not been to Nigeria.
Re: How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua by einsteine(m): 11:16am On May 01, 2017
successinlife:

This is not true,he was rejected because he was deemed fraile,what we termed stamina in Nigeria.The boy has been in football academy since age 5,how come he left Austria for Nigeria U-17 trials without boots,If his parents can afford his flight ticket why can't they afford 20euro boot?

The guy just dey lie.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NFF Appoints Finidi George As Super Eagles Head Coach / Real Madrid’s Social Accounts Hacked – Hacker; A Die-hard Messi Fan / We Play On Empty Stomachs, Borrow Money To Eat — Nigerian Footballers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.