Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,632 members, 7,951,627 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 07:49 PM

Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff (3429 Views)

Financial Times calls Nigeria's economic approach the height of foolishness / Shiites: Iran Calls Nigeria To Stop Crackdown On Group / Us Calls On Nigeria To Open Elections Fully To Monitors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by sjeezy8: 5:14pm On Jan 07, 2010
otawa:

Guys open your eyes.

The end game is AFRICOM.

With this blacklist, USA will force Nigeria Government to accept AFRICOM as only means which ensure that we are ready to track and do something about Al-KAIDA.

But we know AFRICOM is more about Nigeria's Oil as for safety of Nigerians or Americans!

let Africom come in the name of Jesus because Nigerian govt cant protect its Oil from common thieves/militants.lmfao

Africom will be in Africa to protect US Oil interest and instill some discipline in Nigerian soldiers, forcing the govt to act like a real govt. If the African man cant get his shiooot together, white man should show him how to.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by adconline(m): 5:37pm On Jan 07, 2010
When we tried sending U home the whole world blamed us and called it xenophobic attacks! So now look at this! Americans should ship U back to West Africa or else the're in danger!
How come u killed more black Africans from Zimbawe, Malawi,East Africa than Nigerians? US is acting in a civil manner, but blood thirsty thugs in RSA went on killing spree. USA govt has got balls to say that, RSA govt didnt and doesnt have the guts to say that. So blame ur govt. Terrorism is not the same as Zenophobia.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by edoyad(m): 5:40pm On Jan 07, 2010
I support AFRICOM 100% over the current state of things in this hell hole. cool
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by ChapelleS: 5:45pm On Jan 07, 2010
I wish that apartheid will come back to SA.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by naijaway(m): 5:45pm On Jan 07, 2010
There need not be paranoia. The USA said it right, Nigeria does not need to harbor extremist schools; Imagine a country anywhere in the world where students (young and old) are taught to hate nigeria and taught to kill nigerians. Some hatred teaching like that already happen in Nigerian schools for hatred among fellow nigerians not to talk about another nation. Now, if u'r taught to hate and kill and our govt think they can turn a blind eye on that, they should be ready for a rude awakening from other serious govts around the world. Even in America, u cannot be teaching in school or sermons about how you will destroy cotonou not to talk of Nigeria because u will be held for serious questioning and might even land you in jail.  So if a nation is allowing extremist to perform on a broad scale, it is the same thing as that nation supporting those extremist causes and can be viewed as an act of war. If Nigeria was a serious and strong country there's no doubt in my mind that she would have gone down this path. America in my view respects Nigerians. They are lots of professional nigerians in America that they are convinced that Nigerians could be very good people when given a chance. Imagine, clinton went to Nigeria and one of excerpts summary were "Nigerian govt has the ability to lift nigerians out of poverty but are unwilling to do so".  America under Obama is going on the right path by forfeiting most part of corruption and sticking with the idea of the populace and mutual intrest. They could have always just be working side doors and helping our leaders steal without caring for the masses  as the have done a couple of times in the past and russia and china wouldn't care for a milli second.  
 Some people are talking china and russia and watever, Yes they are options but are worse options. If nigeria is deciding to be a mungono/mumu for a long time, it should be known that others are not willing to go down that path. What is wrong with Nigeria making herself the first option and then USA second option (especially now) and then SA, Ghana, and some parts of europe. Even making taiwan and south korea and other asian nations and maybe india her real paddies. China, russia, and middle east nations can be friends but it will strictly be business and their ventures should be curtailed. We should just hope that no one else tries or does committ some mass murder type stuffs in America or other serious nation including china, russia or any latin american country because all these talk about naija is this and that will be tested with enuff air strikes. If something happens in serious nations, they put the prieces together most of the time with a -10 - 15% doubt. If mutallab did not also report to US people, by now nothing would have been put together like that. Matter of fact many of the detectives would have retired and ran into hiding when the feel the heat coming especially if it worked (thank God it didn't even if it was in Nigeria I 'll still thank God it didn't).  As a nation Nigeria has to be serious and all these china and russia and middle east are not good people like that. Ghana is going to be a great economy by 2020 especially if they stick to their diplomatic motto "land of integrity" I can't shout o.  Nigeria will get there but remember that evil exceeds good minds by 100/1000 (in some cases) to 1 in nigeria because in Nigeria armed robbers can be as much as 40 to 100 robbing a quater of a neighbourhood and then try to think how all of them came to that conclusion without hint to authorities. I double dare anyone to show me in the past 49yrs where any serious nation be having lots of armed robbers like that  in one operation kpatakpata, is 15 or 20.
 Instead of our diplomats and officals to call for serious meetings and come up with ways to dea with internal issues and assess external issues without having to  slaughter even those deemed extreme; They are busy exchanging words and trying to confront until fvck up reach em.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by naijaway(m): 6:03pm On Jan 07, 2010
I for one believe that we are better off allied to the West, there are others who's allegiences to Yemen and Saudi are much stronger than their allegiance even to Nigeria. That is a fact that has been evidenced in blood several times over in Northern religious riots, I will not be in a hurry to join the bandwagon of those saying we should swing our ship eastward, we have always been a non-aligned nation

The above statement is from beaf. I can't mumur.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am beginning to incline towards seeing this as more of a failing on the part of Nigeria and the Nigerian govt. than an unjustified blacklisting by the US of Nigeria. The truth is our system and society as a whole is failing - we all live behind high security walls, cannot travel at night, do not trust one another, uncontrollable religious intolerance, multiple unsolved (un-investigated?) mass murders predominantly religion/ethnically motivated, proliferation of arms and bombs, crime-ridden haven, aggressive and widespread oppression, chronic obsessive compulsive corruption, no health care system, collapsed educational structure, police?, customs?, immigration?, in-short a completely dysfunctional system.

The recent terrorist attempt by a Nigerian from an upper class family (unlikely combination) was the final piece of the jigsaw. As a Nation we have been slowly building up to this new found status which is not going to go away for a while. The US is most probably echoing what most other countries think of us but were not bold enough to say out loud. If this will enable or force us to look inwards then all the better for us. We should be a country where other nationals are queuing at our embassies to come into Nigeria and not the other way round. Infact Nigeria, if functioning at its full potential, may even need to import oil because our daily production of 2m or so barrels may be insufficient to meet domestic demand - industrial, transportation etc - within Nigeria! I wonder if we ever ask ourselves what these other countries do with all the oil they buy from us. They definitely do not drink it - their economy does - and in turn churns out finishing goods and services which they then sell to us at exorbitant prices.

We now need to take the bull of Nigeria by the horn and subject it and us to a rigorous and thorough overhaul. The components and processes of this overhaul is a separate discussion on its own. Anyway am sure we will wake up one day in the not too distant future.

written by adint.

Nigerians are indeed intelligent. We know our problems.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by mubaraqqq(f): 6:06pm On Jan 07, 2010
This is a security situation with the lives of Americans at risk. We are not prepared to risk American lives just to satisfy Nigerian officials” administration sources said."

In other words F u Nigeria, you won't do jack!!!!
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by Lagosboy: 6:26pm On Jan 07, 2010
montelik:

@ Lagosboy.Are you serious? You want Nigeria (a secular state) to follow the model of a country where the Mullahs have imposed a brand of extreme Islam on its population. That has its citizen revolting against its oppressive government and being killed in the streets. A country that is a known sponsor of international terrorism. And how will our following their example lead to us restoring our tattered reputation. It will only make things worse. I can see you also mentioned Chavez & Venezuela. Considering that you feel he is worthy of emulation, I am sure you were not opposed to OBJ unconstitutional attempts to secure a 3rd term. After all Chavez is trying to make himself president for life (even Mugabe isn't that bad). Abeg if na joke stop am. How will you be recommending such examples.

Buddie i dont mean in terms of religious entity i the least, i meant in terms of calling the bluff of the US. Countries can survive without them, enough of this bully. The only unfortunate thing in terms of Nigeria is we do not have sincere leaders the poulace can rally around and fight the blacklist with one voice.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by krisperiza: 6:37pm On Jan 07, 2010
Compare the terrorist activity bombings in the UK and you'll see it is much worst than the Nigerian case of mayhem. There decision is political since we refuse their offer of a US military base in the Niger delta. Now they can come and storm Nigeria but instead of staying in the North they will, some how, with more false-flag operations, find their way to Niger delta.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by Lagosboy: 6:42pm On Jan 07, 2010
krisperiza:

Compare the terrorist activity bombings in the UK and you'll see it is much worst than the Nigerian case of mayhem. There decision is political since we refuse their offer of a US military base in the Niger delta. Now they can come and storm Nigeria but instead of staying in the North they will, some how, with more false-flag operations, find their way to Niger delta.

This is what i said earlier, there are worse western countries with this problem, Nigeria will just be a scape goat as we have no leader, no govt, nothing works so the US will definitley get away with this unless their ambassador is expelled or something. Kick out Exxon mobil and Chevron, revoke the visas of their US staff in Nigeria and let the game begin.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by Gbawe: 6:48pm On Jan 07, 2010
babapupa:

Please, speak for yourself,

Obama's primary responsibility is to protect Americans, not to worry about your feelings in Nigeria,

Is it not obvious that I have not claimed otherwise? My point is that the world is no longer enamoured with Obama to the point that everything he says is quoted like one of the ten commandments. There are now chinks in the Armour . In fact , some folks now cringe from associating themselves with some of Obama's previous utterances because they feel it displays the gullibility that made them vote for Obama when his opponents insisted that he was just a man waxing lyrical , with no deep convictions over what he is preaching !!!!

Obama does not have to worry about the feelings of Nigerians .  Inversely ,  Nigerians need not see him as anything special either given all the hypocritical prevarification we have seen from him  . He can say what he wants but to me certain things have shown he is a populist leader , seeking to appease everyone, rather than a great leader who will take unpopular choices , out of strong convictions, that turn out to be the correct ones !!

Those who are coldly objective and decent observers of recent event till date will admit that Obama sacrificed a convenient scapegoat ( Nigeria) at the alter of political expediency !!!

The writing was on the wall.  Obama savaged Nigeria ruthlessly , at every chance , for its corruption and anti-democratic nature yet he remained silent when facing the repressive Egyptian and Saudi Arabian autocrats.  Many Nigerians dont just accept what they are told without question. That is why many of us are who we are today.

http://www.fpif.org/articles/how_not_to_support_democracy_in_the_middle_east

President Barack Obama's speech in Cairo to the Muslim world marked a welcome departure from the Bush administration's confrontational approach. [b]Yet many Arabs and Muslims have expressed frustration that he failed to use this opportunity to call on the autocratic Saudi and Egyptian leaders with whom he had visited on his Middle Eastern trip to end their repression and open up their corrupt and tightly controlled political systems.

Imagine the positive reaction Obama would have received throughout the Arab and Islamic world if, instead of simply expressing eloquent but vague words in support of freedom and democracy, he had said something like this:

"Let's fight to make sure our so-called allies in the Middle East, the Saudis and the Egyptians, stop oppressing their own people, and suppressing dissent, and tolerating corruption and inequality, and mismanaging their economies so that their youth grow up without education, without prospects, without hope, the ready recruits of terrorist cells."

Could he have said such a thing?

Yes. In fact, those were his exact words when, as an Illinois state senator, he gave a speech at a major anti-war rally in Chicago on October 2, 2002.[/b]

Coddling Tyrants
Egypt is the second-largest recipient of U.S. military aid, while Saudi Arabia is the number-one buyer of U.S. arms. Obama would have enormous leverage, should he choose to wield it, in pressing these two regimes to end oppression of their own people, suppression of dissent, toleration of corruption and inequality, and mismanagement of their economies. Yet he was apparently unwilling to take advantage of his highly publicized visits with the leaders of these two countries to break with his predecessors' coddling of these tyrannical regimes
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by bawomolo(m): 7:24pm On Jan 07, 2010
Lagosboy:

This is what i said earlier, there are worse western countries with this problem, Nigeria will just be a scape goat as we have no leader, no govt, nothing works so the US will definitley get away with this unless their ambassador is expelled or something. Kick out Exxon mobil and Chevron, revoke the visas of their US staff in Nigeria and let the game begin.

Countries like France and the UK tackle terrorism better than Nigeria. That's what the US is trying to get Nigeria to do.

This is a country has no clue who is coming in and out of its borders.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by Horus(m): 7:49pm On Jan 07, 2010
Guys open your eyes.
The end game is AFRICOM.

With this blacklist, USA will force Nigeria Government to accept AFRICOM as only means which ensure that we are ready to track and do something about Al-KAIDA.

But we know AFRICOM is more about Nigeria's Oil as for safety of Nigerians or Americans!

If Nigerians allow AFRICOM, it is all over for Nigeria, the country will become a new American colony with American military bases and Americans will have control on all the crude oil reserve.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by ChinenyeN(m): 8:04pm On Jan 07, 2010
mubaraqqq:

This is a security situation with the lives of Americans at risk. We are not prepared to risk American lives just to satisfy Nigerian officials” administration sources said."

In other words F u Nigeria, you won't do jack!!!!

Yep, basically.

Me though, I'm interested in seeing what will happen if Nigerian officials follow through with this their ultimatum. I also believe than Nigeria can do just fine without allying itself to any country. It doesn't need the U.S. The only problem Nigeria has are the people that are supposed to be running it. Aside from what, Nigeria should be able to do well by itself, without much aid or assistance from other countries.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by cap28: 8:15pm On Jan 07, 2010
i am puzzled as to why america has decided to put nigeria on this  terror blacklist.  the idea that nigeria is now to be regarded as a state sponsor of terrorism is a pathetic joke - because the americans themselves know that nigeria has nothing to do with this fake terrorist attack.

im puzzled because nigeria is not what the americans would call a "rogue state" .  it has never challenged any western country,it has never defended its nation against foreign invaders it has never put the interest of its people before multinationals and foreign govts.

consider cuba, libya and venezuela all so called rogue states - but isnt it interesting that these countries all have one thing in common they kicked out US and UK multinationals who were plundering and destroying their economies.

No nigerian leader since murtala mohammed possibly with the exception of Buhari  has ever stood up to the west and put the interests of their people before the interests of foreigners.  but muhammed was murdered by a CIA sponsored plot because he started nationalising the oil sector and buhari was overthrown in a british sponsored coup d etat  because he refused to take on crippling IMF loans from the americans.

Every regime since Buhari has  done everything possible to please britain and america by implementing IMF and world bank policies which have led to the vast majority of nigerian people living in abject poverty.  they have mortgaged our natural resources to these foreign countries, opened up the country to be plundered and pillaged by foreign multinationals and not given a damn about their fellow citizens which is exactly what america and britain have demanded, so my question is why are they now being punished?

i can understand america's anger at chavez, ahmadinejad and gadaffi as their govts kicked out multinationals, nationalised their oil sector and reversed economic policies which were enriching foreign corporations while impoverishing ordinary people in the country.

all i can think of is the AFRICOM issue - i know that nigeria, libya and south africa opposed america's plan to locate various military bases on the african continent last  year because they (correctly) beleived that this could put their own positions in jeopardy as it would be easier for  the americans to deploy troops to overthrow them if they stepped out of line,  its either that or the fact that the americans are trying to blackmail nigeria into terminating all trade that nigeria is currently doing with China which i know is of major concern to america.  China is currently  a major threat to america's standing in the world as world superpower and they are determined to scupper any plans that China has to usurp that position - once again i beleive that nigeria is being used as a pawn in a much bigger war between superpowers.    

the idea that america is a country that gives a hoot about democracy is a joke, america is the biggest terrorist nation on the planet - it invades sovereign countries and wages war with impunity (iraq, haiti) it topples democratically elected govts using coup de tats (haiti, ecuador) it assassinates heads of states who refuse to tow their line (benazhir bhutto of pakistan) it supports terrorist racist countries (israel).  but because of its powerful media and military it bamboozles and tricks people into beleiving that it is the land of the free - nothing could be further from the truth.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by Renz(m): 9:16pm On Jan 07, 2010
For me, i sincerely think all these down turns on the country will definately make us as a country to put our heads together fight back.

the reason why we are being selfish, looting money and opressing ourselves is because we have no fight to fight for outside, we keep acepting all f#king terms & conditions from super powers, Its about time we put heads together and work as one.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by Beaf: 9:24pm On Jan 07, 2010
@Gbawe
Who's credibility will you choose. Obama's or Yar Adua's (whenever we find him)?

This problem boils 100% down to our not knowing either the whereabouts or exact circumstances of our "president". Who do you want Obama to talk to in Nigeria? Ojo Madueke?

In my opinion, what we have seen from the US is not the worst we can get. Let us pray that there are sensible people to steer the ship to shore before the likes of Kala Kato finally decide to attack the US embassy (or something equally st'upid). . . Gloves will be off.
Lets cure our illness before turning cannons on the US; laughably, at present, we can't even declare war. . . No president!

See the situation for what it is, we are an ugly and fearful mess right now.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by Beaf: 9:28pm On Jan 07, 2010
@cap28

Nigeria is on the list of countries of concern. Nobody has classified us as state sponsors of terrorism.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by adconline(m): 9:35pm On Jan 07, 2010
@cap28
I am puzzled as to why america has decided to put nigeria on this terror blacklist. the idea that nigeria is now to be regarded as a state sponsor of terrorism is a pathetic joke - because the americans themselves know that nigeria has nothing to do with this fake terrorist attack.

"A fake terrorist" doesn't buy a one way ticket with no luggage. Boarded a plane in Naija. This guy was clearly on a suicide mission. US has not classified Nigeria as a state sponsor of terror, but amongst nations of interests.

consider cuba, libya and venezuela all so called rogue states - but isnt it interesting that these countries all have one thing in common they kicked out US and UK multinationals who were plundering and destroying their economies

Conspiracy theories. Libya was as result of Lockerbie Bombing. By the way it caved in and has started business relations with the US. Venezuela is so much dependent on American dollars, it has got gas stations and refineries in the US. It's in top 4 US suppliers of crude oil. Venezuela cannot do without US. Cuba is about govt. This is indicative of the fact US doesn't flinch when it imposes sanctions. It's Cuba that is still suffering from US imposed sanctions.If US can bite Saudi Arabia, Nigeria is a small fry for a nation that has got an appetite for destruction if provoked.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by naijaway(m): 9:51pm On Jan 07, 2010
cap28,             those are legitimate points you put up there but the point is that it is the world we live in. Everyman for himself but some people align better than others. Am sure if Nigeria respects itself and then tells the USA that look o, we are about mutual intrest eg resources for training here, resources for labs here, resources for forensics and so on those would have come to fruition and if a mean USA president is elected he can't really do much cuz he /she will be able to see that we matter. But as it is now and long before now; Nigeria has been shooting itself in the foot. And the reality is that some countries are damn serious about making the best in this life and worry about later life after they die.  Not because nigeria is not serious about anything except what will go in their pockets after deals that are supposed to be for the people.  Most percentage of senators try to get lots of eals for their communities and look forward for the results more than the cash to go into their pockets (remember i said most).
    All that noise national assembly is doing is heavy shakara just because people told you to sit up. I don't think USA will not give you the low down of events in a convincing manner if it was opposite as in someone from USA flying to nigeria. Moreover what they are telling us affects nigerians more than anyone in th USA. America also has resources and it includes military resources and economic resources as well as natural resources. In USA there are terrorist but each time they gave people the low down to the best of their knowledge not like nigeria's clueless investigations on several issues. No local government in the world that does not have their people in USA and still yet them they maintain. Keep waiting for them to fall off, that will be 2120. USA can be greedy but not like Nigeria; USA can be mean but still have humanitarian spirit unlike the friends people advocate for eg china, russia, and any nation in the middle east and north africa combined. If china gets hit or almost get hit, they will just wipe out Nigeria or nigerians in china; nothing like human rights there o. See mutallab has food three times a day and so on, in China or russia or even venuzela by now we would known his hang date.
   America is not heaven and can be commanding sometimes  but will respect individuals even when they hate you unlike china and that is why china cannot and will not become a suprpower anytime soon. Nigeria government should define the value of Nigerians and not be this huge lekpa among other defined giants. You have to say I stand for Africa, or I stand for freedom eg america claims and somewhat true; or I stand for fairness etc.  President taking more days off than Jesus when he went to fast for 40 days and 40 nights. And still, the guy doesn't want to quit. E bad o. Without panic, the Nigerian govt should put measure in place that protect our citizens first from inter fights, then protect foreigners etc.  They cannot do america anything HO HA. Worst comes to worst, America seize everything Nigerian and give back honest people their stuffs and tell them not to send money back home because western union to both countries don't work; America will always be welcomed in the east and more than likely the west, Then the issue of divide and conquer will be in effect; Then oil deals will be given to them and other europeans while they are also leveraging ghana incase of incasities. Nigeria should wisen up and plan for the better by using her(Nigeria) clout to form an intelligence committee with other africans eg ECOMOG; these are times ecomog can be reformed to high tech. With the help of USA especially now, we can have some of the best intelligence in the world. We have to align with the USA to win sudan and curb China because China knows that all they are building around africa will decay or spoil in the next 30 to 40 yrs while many of what the ohers have done are still testaments.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by An0nimus: 10:02pm On Jan 07, 2010
Forget the US and their schemes(including the ones under thier sleeves,if any).Lets face facts - We have a problem and we have to fix it.Asa rightly said in her song 'fire on the mountain' and i quote ''. . .One day the river will overflow, and they'll be nowhere else left to go,and we will run run run wishing we had put out the fire. . .''
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by cap28: 10:17pm On Jan 07, 2010
Gbawe:

Is it not obvious that I have not claimed otherwise? My point is that the world is no longer enamoured with Obama to the point that everything he says is quoted like one of the ten commandments. There are now chinks in the Armour . In fact , some folks now cringe from associating themselves with some of Obama's previous utterances because they feel it displays the gullibility that made them vote for Obama when his opponents insisted that he was just a man waxing lyrical , with no deep convictions over what he is preaching !!!!

Obamas speeches are high on rhetoric and low on substance, he is only following the instructions of his financiers and backers  just like every other american president before him (possibly with the exception of John F Kennedy)  he is a puppet of the american establishment, the same imperialist racist foreign policy only this time with a black face in order to dupe the masses (particularly africans and african americans).  at least the arabs were smart enough to see through the whole charade.

Obama does not have to worry about the feelings of Nigerians .  Inversely ,  Nigerians need not see him as anything special either given all the hypocritical prevarification we have seen from him  . He can say what he wants but to me certain things have shown he is a populist leader , seeking to appease everyone, rather than a great leader who will take unpopular choices , out of strong convictions, that turn out to be the correct ones !!

i would argue that he does not seek to appease anyone but his financial backers - see how quickly he dissassociated himself from people who were seen as threats to the white power structure (reverend wright, louis farrakhan)

the last time america had a president who made unpopular choices borne out of strong convictions he ended up dead (JFK)  Obama knows the consequences of stepping out of line, therefore he wont.  

Those who are coldly objective and decent observers of recent event till date will admit that Obama sacrificed a convenient scapegoat ( Nigeria) at the alter of political expediency !!!

and he will continue to do so if he wants to retain his position - however i think its bigger than that, i think there is a bigger objective behind the scapegoating of nigeria which will come to light much later.  

nigeria has never served any other purpose to the americans other than as a major source of (cheap) oil - ultimately america is only concerned with how cheap they can get the oil and nothing else- all this talk about democracy and good governance are code words for countries who are willing to adhere to their destructive capitalist economic policies which enrich the elite and multinationals and impoverish the vast majority of the indigenous population.

The writing was on the wall.  Obama savaged Nigeria ruthlessly , at every chance , for its corruption and anti-democratic nature yet he remained silent when facing the repressive Egyptian and Saudi Arabian autocrats.  Many Nigerians dont just accept what they are told without question. That is why many of us are who we are today.

http://www.fpif.org/articles/how_not_to_support_democracy_in_the_middle_east

the same way he continues to remain silent about the fact that the US, Britain and Israel are the highest exporters of arms to this same corrupt, repressive regime which he criticises when it suits him.

last year alone - Israel supplied the nigerian army with millions of dollars worth of spy planes, helicopter gunships and land mines in order to crush militant groups in the niger delta region - MEND being the main target.

also mossad is currently responsible for training nigerian troops in counter insurgency tactics aimed at smashing militant groups.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by Gbawe: 11:43pm On Jan 07, 2010
Beaf:

@Gbawe
Who's credibility will you choose. Obama's or Yar Adua's (whenever we find him)?

This problem boils 100% down to our not knowing either the whereabouts or exact circumstances of our "president". Who do you want Obama to talk to in Nigeria? Ojo Madueke?

In my opinion, what we have seen from the US is not the worst we can get. Let us pray that there are sensible people to steer the ship to shore before the likes of Kala Kato finally decide to attack the US embassy (or something equally st'upid). . . Gloves will be off.
Lets cure our illness before turning cannons on the US; laughably, at present, we can't even declare war. . . No president!
See the situation for what it is, we are an ugly and fearful mess right now.

I agree with you and I made my stance clear with my first contribution to this thread:

I don't agree with how the US rapidly upgraded Nigeria to "a nation of special interest" regarding terrorism , but every objective Nigerian must admit that we have a lot of Work to do on our side. International terrorism is something Nigeria , at this stage , cannot be conclusively associated with. The USA has done this hastily. Nonetheless , occurences within Nigeria shows a leadership failure that must concern every well-meaning Nigerian !!!! I reject some of the suggestions of the US but concede that others are valid enough to make us demand effective future solutions.

All I am saying is that , of recent and under Obama , the USA has had no qualms treating Nigeria hypocritically and with ill-concieved disdain it has not applied to others !! We must deal with our own problems first. That is for sure but that should not stop us from protesting against the biased and unfair treatment of our Nation from a Superpower that applies the law partially and arbitrarily.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by cap28: 11:46pm On Jan 07, 2010
adconline:

@cap28
I am puzzled as to why america has decided to put nigeria on this terror blacklist. the idea that nigeria is now to be regarded as a state sponsor of terrorism is a pathetic joke - because the americans themselves know that nigeria has nothing to do with this fake terrorist attack.

"A fake terrorist" doesn't buy a one way ticket with no luggage. Boarded a plane in Naija. This guy was clearly on a suicide mission. US has not classified Nigeria as a state sponsor of terror, but amongst nations of interests.

yes you're right- he definitely fits neatly into the profile of a terrorist, therefore i wonder why he didnt attract any suspicion from the airport security officials.  the fact that he bought a ticket in cash  and had no luggage shoudl have been enough to have him taken away for questioning but he seemed to sail smoothly through all levels of airport security - i wonder why?

okay so we're not "state sponsors of terrorism we're just a country of interest what difference does it make - we have effectively been branded a pariah country.

consider cuba, libya and venezuela all so called rogue states - but isnt it interesting that these countries all have one thing in common they kicked out US and UK multinationals who were plundering and destroying their economies

Conspiracy theories. Libya was as result of Lockerbie Bombing. By the way it caved in and has started business relations with the US. Venezuela is so much dependent on American dollars, it has got gas stations and refineries in the US. It's in top 4 US suppliers of crude oil. Venezuela cannot do without US. Cuba is about govt. This is indicative of the fact US doesn't flinch when it imposes sanctions. It's Cuba that is still suffering from US imposed sanctions.If US can bite Saudi Arabia, Nigeria is a small fry for a nation that has got an appetite for destruction if provoked.

those are not conspiracy theories - Libya was not involved in the Lockerbie bombing it was blackmailed into taking the rap in exchange for the US agreeing to lift economic sanctions that had been used to cripple its economy for over 20 years.  Al Megrahi was released by the Scottish govt because new evidence had just emerged which would have cleared his name and implicated a deal that would have been damaging to  the US govt.

all evidence that the british govt have surrounding the lockerbie case is now classified for life and can never be disclosed to the public under public interest immunity. 
http://news.scotsman.com/comment/Tam-Dalyell-Lockerbie-papers-may.5575560.jp

you have obviously been taken in by the propaganda campaign that america wages against its enemies each time its trying to get public opinion on its side - if you had taken the time to think for yourself you would stop and ask yourself why the US are so interested in smearing Chavez's character.  this is a man who got rid of a corrupt group of politicans who almost bankrupted their country whilst implementing economic policies favourable to the US.  Chavez brought those years of plunder to an abrupt end together with america's free for all bonanza of buying oil at rock bottom prices now he is their  worst enemy, cant you even open your eyes and see the similiarities with your own country.

i dont know what you mean when you say "Cuba is about govt" but you dont sound as if you know what youre talking about as all sane people regard Fidel Castro as a hero for preventing the economic destruction of his country by america - yes america imposed economic sanctions which have been in place since 1959 but this has attracted condemnation from any decent thinking human being not snide remarks.

Cuba can boast of giving all its citizens  access to free education at all levels , housing and health care - something no nigerian govt has ever had the decency to do.  Would you have preferred the previous US backed puppet govt under Batista which allowed the american mafia to turn the country into a gambling, prostitution and drug trafficking cesspitt?

the Saudi royal family are one of the most corrupt and despotic govts in the world but they are kept in power by their american friends - this is a country where women are beheaded for comitting adultery.  unlike nigerians the saudi people are now fed up of living under US domination and they are rebelling maybe this shoudl explain why america is fomenting trouble in that region. 

i dont understand why you are defending the US as their track record with regard to black people is terrible to say the least - you might not know this but they actively supported and financed apartheid south africa and continue to aid and abet corrupt repressive regimes in africa and lets not even start talking about the discrimination, degradation and dehumanisation of blacks in north america which continues till today. [quote][/quote]
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by sjeezy8: 11:50pm On Jan 07, 2010
Africom needs to hurry up and come squash militants in the ND and crazys in the north. I was opposed to it at first but it seems Nigerian govt as of right now, cant run a country so America come and regulate.
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by No2Atheism(m): 11:56pm On Jan 07, 2010
naijaway:

cap28,             those are legitimate points you put up there but the point is that it is the world we live in. Everyman for himself but some people align better than others. Am sure if Nigeria respects itself and then tells the USA that look o, we are about mutual intrest eg resources for training here, resources for labs here, resources for forensics and so on those would have come to fruition and if a mean USA president is elected he can't really do much cuz he /she will be able to see that we matter. But as it is now and long before now; Nigeria has been shooting itself in the foot. And the reality is that some countries are damn serious about making the best in this life and worry about later life after they die.  Not because nigeria is not serious about anything except what will go in their pockets after deals that are supposed to be for the people.  Most percentage of senators try to get lots of eals for their communities and look forward for the results more than the cash to go into their pockets (remember i said most).
    All that noise national assembly is doing is heavy shakara just because people told you to sit up. I don't think USA will not give you the low down of events in a convincing manner if it was opposite as in someone from USA flying to nigeria. Moreover what they are telling us affects nigerians more than anyone in th USA. America also has resources and it includes military resources and economic resources as well as natural resources. In USA there are terrorist but each time they gave people the low down to the best of their knowledge not like nigeria's clueless investigations on several issues. No local government in the world that does not have their people in USA and still yet them they maintain. Keep waiting for them to fall off, that will be 2120. USA can be greedy but not like Nigeria; USA can be mean but still have humanitarian spirit unlike the friends people advocate for eg china, russia, and any nation in the middle east and north africa combined. If china gets hit or almost get hit, they will just wipe out Nigeria or nigerians in china; nothing like human rights there o. See mutallab has food three times a day and so on, in China or russia or even venuzela by now we would known his hang date.
   America is not heaven and can be commanding sometimes  but will respect individuals even when they hate you unlike china and that is why china cannot and will not become a suprpower anytime soon. Nigeria government should define the value of Nigerians and not be this huge lekpa among other defined giants. You have to say I stand for Africa, or I stand for freedom eg america claims and somewhat true; or I stand for fairness etc.  President taking more days off than Jesus when he went to fast for 40 days and 40 nights. And still, the guy doesn't want to quit. E bad o. Without panic, the Nigerian govt should put measure in place that protect our citizens first from inter fights, then protect foreigners etc.  They cannot do america anything HO HA. Worst comes to worst, America seize everything Nigerian and give back honest people their stuffs and tell them not to send money back home because western union to both countries don't work; America will always be welcomed in the east and more than likely the west, Then the issue of divide and conquer will be in effect; Then oil deals will be given to them and other europeans while they are also leveraging ghana incase of incasities. Nigeria should wisen up and plan for the better by using her(Nigeria) clout to form an intelligence committee with other africans eg ECOMOG; these are times ecomog can be reformed to high tech. With the help of USA especially now, we can have some of the best intelligence in the world. We have to align with the USA to win sudan and curb China because China knows that all they are building around africa will decay or spoil in the next 30 to 40 yrs while many of what the ohers have done are still testaments.  

Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by Nobody: 1:41am On Jan 08, 2010
sjeezy quote:

otawa
said:
Guys open your eyes.

The end game is AFRICOM.

let Africom come in the name of Jesus because Nigerian govt cant protect its Oil from common thieves/militants.lmfao

Africom will be in Africa to protect US Oil interest and instill some discipline in Nigerian soldiers, forcing the govt to act like a real govt. If the African man cant get his shiooot together, white man should show him how to.

@ sjeezy: You're the biggest dunce on this forum for making that comment.

You're so cretinous you can't even look around you to see the results of recent US interventions in other states - everyone of them WORSE than before the US invaded with their lies and their troops.

Iraq is far worse than it ever was. Corruption and violence have hit stratospheric levels.

Pakistan is far worse than it ever was. Corruption and violence have shot through the roof.

Afghanistan is far worse than it ever was. Corruption is ten times worse, and the pro US Karzai govt was blatantly rigged into power last year with US support.

But our white worshipping cretin here imagines Nigeria will be ''better'' when US troops come calling.

What does it take to get through to some of you colonised retards?
Re: Terror Blacklist: Us Calls Nigeria’s Bluff by krisperiza: 3:04pm On Jan 13, 2010
I've been to Islamic schools while I was young though in the south and nothing such as teaching the students hate exist. You may see one or two who hate christians as their personal opinion just as you would see Christians tarnishing muslims. As far as I know christians in the primary school I went to always make fun of muslims and the teachers do join them but this is of their personal choice and not part of the class time table. If I say the USA is mad out of my personal opinions doesn't make me a terrorist who kill innocent people but I bet Hypocritical christians who do much better at tarnishing muslims than worship God would say muslims should be wiped out and schools should be closed down. Religion of love in deed.

These fools preach hypocritically hate and terrorism. They can't be happy for they will be consumed by their hypocrisy.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Full Text Of Dora's Memo:"if We Fail To Act Now, History Will Not Forgive Us" / Opposition Lawmakers Want Obasanjo Punished For BPE Failures / Sheep Allegedly Gives Birth To Half Human In Sokoto (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.