Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,009 members, 7,922,437 topics. Date: Friday, 16 August 2024 at 07:27 AM

Derbyshire Businessman Elected Nigerian King - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Derbyshire Businessman Elected Nigerian King (664 Views)

Kogi Guber: Audu Will Return The N11bn He Stole If Elected - APC Chairman / French Businessman To Meet Ansaru, Boko-Haram Leaders / Derbyshire Businessman Elected Nigerian King (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Derbyshire Businessman Elected Nigerian King by blacksta(m): 2:55pm On Jan 09, 2010
A businessman from Derbyshire has been crowned king of a Nigerian province.
Christopher Ejiofor fled to Littleover from Nigeria as a war refugee nearly 40 years ago.
The 63-year-old built up a successful aircraft maintenance firm and sent thousands of pounds back to Ezeagu, in Enugu state, where he was born.
In recognition of his contributions he was elected the first Christian ruler of the province and crowned in an elaborate coronation at his £4m palace.
The coronation saw thousands of guests bring him gifts including rams, giant portraits and a cow.
Mr Ejiofor said he initially turned down the role because of the distance, but was persuaded to take it when the other candidates dropped out.
The committed Christian has now built a 10-bedroom palace where he plans to retire with his wife and four children.

When I left Nigeria it was on the last plane, which was being shot at
Christopher Ejiofor
As king he will organise a local government, oversee conservation projects, pardon criminals and bestow knighthoods.
Mr Ejiofor was forced to flee the country in 1970 after being arrested because he was a military adviser on the losing side of a civil war.
He started work at East Midlands Airport and was handed British citizenship.
He said: "It's a great honour and privilege to recognised by your people.
"I did not want this position but in the end I was convinced to put my name forward and I was unanimously elected.
"When I left Nigeria it was on the last plane, which was being shot at.
"We were refugees in Gabon and had lost everything.
"But hard work has been part of my ethos and although we were very deprived, we worked hard.
"England was a place of recuperation. It provided me with the platform to recover and expand my life portfolio because there are so many opportunities.
"I hope the experiences I have gained from England will help me to bring some sort of order out of the chaos which exists in this part of the world as there is so much potential."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/8447048.stm
Re: Derbyshire Businessman Elected Nigerian King by blacksta(m): 2:57pm On Jan 09, 2010
Can one become a king without coming from a Royal lineage?

Re: Derbyshire Businessman Elected Nigerian King by sjeezy8: 3:01pm On Jan 09, 2010
If you have enough money in . . . igboland i guess lmfao

Either way good success story.
Re: Derbyshire Businessman Elected Nigerian King by Sunnybobo3(m): 3:12pm On Jan 09, 2010
blacksta:

Can one become a king without coming from a Royal lineage?

Most Igbo clans do not have a hereditary system of monarchy. Hence, the Igwe can come from any family. In my town, it rotates among the three quarters that make up the town.

Remember that traditionally, the Igbos are democratic hence the term "Igbo ama eze" literally meaning igbo knows no king.
Re: Derbyshire Businessman Elected Nigerian King by edoyad(m): 3:33pm On Jan 09, 2010
Ibos are republican in nature. That's why no one man/group can impose his/their choice on the collective nations that make up their land. Little wonder 3 different political parties have governors from their 5 states.
Re: Derbyshire Businessman Elected Nigerian King by proudly9ja(m): 3:34pm On Jan 09, 2010
Good success story
Re: Derbyshire Businessman Elected Nigerian King by netpro(m): 3:55pm On Jan 09, 2010
Congrats Mr. Christopher Ejiofor. I hope you become the best king over there.

(1) (Reply)

Who says? Yar'adua Is Alive / The Yar Adua In Us / Senate To Supsend Action Until Tuesday 26/01/2009

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.