Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,979 members, 7,973,384 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 03:28 PM

Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. (5265 Views)

Design Database Driven Websites & Android Mobile Apps No Coding Skill Required / Drag N' Drop Versus Coding Of HTML / How To Convert Html To Xhtml Without Coding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by Sprumbaba: 7:44pm On Jan 15, 2010
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by mikkyphp(m): 7:46pm On Jan 15, 2010
the extensions for creating CMS and oda stuff is it a plug-in for fireworks or dreamweaver, cos me sef want o!, i prefer fireworks to photoshop lol, i can't even use photoshop!
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by Sprumbaba: 7:49pm On Jan 15, 2010
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by Sprumbaba: 7:51pm On Jan 15, 2010
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by mikkyphp(m): 7:53pm On Jan 15, 2010
nice, nice, i wouldnt mind exploring with fireworks extensions and dreamweaver extensions o, hook me up na, if u can
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DualCore1: 7:53pm On Jan 15, 2010
Sprumbaba:

Sure, I can put them on CDs for you. Better still, I can send via email. I collected some online too. What version of fireworks do you have?

Awesome! Got CS4.

LoL I had a large archive of DW CS4 Extensions. I wanted to get a list of them over here if you saw any you didnt have.
Went to the location where it should be and found out (from the logs i made) i deleted them around November  undecided

The FW Extenstions and Commands, how large are they(put together)? That would determine what transfer medium to use.

Sprumbaba:

Please do. It will sell you. Visual sells this day. I always work harder on it. Fireworks is very flexible and easy to learn, even on your own.
Well I'm doing it cuz I can't afford to allow a graphic dude make me look irresponsible b4 a client a second time.
You give out a graphics design job, the dude spends eternity on it only to mail me the finished stuff and i'm like . . ."dude is this it? i could do this myself d'uh where's all your wow stuff? u giving me solid colors in boxes"
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DualCore1: 7:56pm On Jan 15, 2010
mikkyphp:

nice, nice, i wouldnt mind exploring with fireworks extensions and dreamweaver extensions o, hook me up na, if u can

Hmmm, i think we need a kinda repository where everyone can upload stuff they got and wonno share. Then its downloadable by anyone. I'm just thinking here.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by Sprumbaba: 8:02pm On Jan 15, 2010
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DualCore1: 8:04pm On Jan 15, 2010
Ok, so we talking about something less than 100 MB here or thereabout?
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by Sprumbaba: 9:21pm On Jan 15, 2010
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DualCore1: 9:24pm On Jan 15, 2010
okies, how do u wonno send it?

You could use rapidshare, sendspace e.t.c
If you want, you could FTP it to my server.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by Voned(f): 10:18pm On Jan 15, 2010
Dablaze i think u are very current, i intended using dreamweaver 4 my project but am currently using drupal and i tell u it is very nice. The design is beautiful and not all that stressful compared to dreamweaver
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by tdops: 12:49am On Jan 16, 2010
Back to the initial question DW or hand coding?

IMHO, i will suggest whatever makes you very productive. DW is very good and i will always recommend that route but i have met some old developers that prefers to hand code and this mainly because they see coding like writing an essay and they don't like to be distracted by tools that claim to make life easier. But as I said earlier its your productivity that really matters at the end of the day!

As per CMS, why on earth will any one try to build one from scratch nowadays? Thats so old school. Why reinvent the wheel? I will suggest you "start your journey on the shoulder of giants" by customising or extending CMS tools like Joomla or Drupal. Just Imagine Seun Nairaland saying he wants to build a a forum app for Nairaland from scratch, i can bet the site will be down in 2 days!!!

Anyways, i will leave you with some tips. To be a good Web/Multimedia Developer you first need to use the right tools

For Illustrations, Logos, Layouts, Resizable vectors - Use Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw
Once you have completed your illustrations and need to finalise you interface with images  - Use Photoshop
After you a happy with a static version of your work - Open the PSD in Fireworks and do your slicing there and save your images.
No one use tables any more, so finalise you work in Dreamweaver by applying CSS themes, DW CS4 is wonderful for CSS. You get your HTML, ASPX, etc from there

Nowadays, 90% of developers dont even go through that stress any more, they buy templates as cheap $30 or 700 Naira and start from there buy customising it in photoshop. Most templates have been sliced already so you just open in fireworks and you are good to go!
Examples of templates can be found at http://www.darockprojects.com/dtemplates/

Ok, i have said too much i wish you all the best!!!
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by cj1080(m): 1:33am On Jan 16, 2010
Hello,eh,(raised hand and standing behind the crowd)excuse me can i talk.
Ah much better.

Now all of ya have successfully thrown me into confusion, whats joomla(sounds voodooish),wordpress (i know thats a site but whats it got to do with web dev) and drupal sound like me dog just drooled.

Hello,new guy to all this here, cos i've been follow the standard learn html,css,move to javascript then php.

With all this info,its seem's to me i got fossilised sometime in the stone age of web dev.

So gents and ladies(and his holyness),would u mind at least pointing me in the right direction of the process of web develop,cos its seem i got it all wrong.

But at least for person way de learn on en own,i try reach php,without rightly jumping off a cliff.

Oh and dual ly,same here on fireworks,it seems to make designing graphics easy.i love it more than most. But i think i'll leave the photo editing to photoshop.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by yawatide(f): 1:51am On Jan 16, 2010
joomla is a content management system (cms) and wordpress is blog software which recently has been converted to a cms tool.

The aforementioned allow you to concentrate on the content, while hiding the nitty gritty from view. In other words, the developer provides the skin/layout whereas the lay man can just go to a particular article and make modifications. without knowledge of web dev and armed with a default installation, you can still mess around with cms tools. That's where their beauty lies.

Your web dev learning path: html, css, javascript, php/jsp, mysql.

good luck!
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by Mavenb0x(m): 3:07am On Jan 16, 2010
Hand-coding or Dreamweaving? grin Legally speaking one option is free and the other one, you either use pyrated software tongue or you pay through your nose.

Okay, seriously, it depends on your level of skill. And DW can tend to "spoil" you, as Dual Core has correctly asserted.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by Decryptor(m): 4:00am On Jan 16, 2010
What's the hype about dreamweaver, I make use of Frontpage, after which i do a little tweaking to the HTML by hand coding as u call it then finish it up by checking for errors with HTML Validator. I dont really fancy Dreamweaver. Frontpage web like i discovered load faster on the web.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by Sprumbaba: 4:16am On Jan 16, 2010
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by Nobody: 4:26am On Jan 16, 2010
@sprumbaba. xactly is what the site contains and it's host!!!!!!!

I stick with handcoding
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DualCore1: 7:43am On Jan 16, 2010
Sprum, hope sey u never put me for voicemail. grin
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by pak: 9:07am On Jan 16, 2010
Did I hear someone say 'FRONTPAGE'.

Its like telling someone you still write with slates.  cheesy

As for JQUERY, its the BOMB, I mean the NUCLEAR BOMB.

The best thing since slice bread.

I have often wondered how JavaScript was able to totally dominate the niche market of Client side programming
(remeber Actionscript and switchscript are a variant of core Javascript).

The answer is simple, its foundations from scratch is sooooooooooo solid.

Really as far as programming is concerned there's nothing like Jscript.

Along with Python (and its variant), these two are what gives me joy anyday.

For those intending to learn Javascript, I'l advice you to go ahead, you wont regret it.

but a good word of advice - aside very simple tasks, always use libraries.

there are a lot of free ones out there to name a few.

Prototype
Yahoo UI
Google UI
Scriptaculous
and the father - Jquery

each with its own area of specialty.

I must admit however that it's sometimes a daunting task to learn to use some of this libraries
but not to worry there are a lot of plugins now for these library that makes learning easier and accomplishing
much, simpler. for example this site gives you some great Jquery plugins that can bring you up to speed
even if you are a novice in less than a day

http://www.noupe.com/ajax/37-more-shocking-jquery-plugins.html

To the OP's question,

Well if am designing - Dreamweaver to the rescue
if am coding (as in programming) - NP++ is the choice
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DualCore1: 9:26am On Jan 16, 2010
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by cj1080(m): 9:43am On Jan 16, 2010
Thanks mates,
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by MyHonour(m): 10:02am On Jan 16, 2010
yawa-ti-de:

joomla is a content management system (cms) and wordpress is blog software which recently has been converted to a cms tool.

The aforementioned allow you to concentrate on the content, while hiding the nitty gritty from view. In other words, the developer provides the skin/layout whereas the lay man can just go to a particular article and make modifications. without knowledge of web dev and armed with a default installation, you can still mess around with cms tools. That's where their beauty lies.

Your web dev learning path: html, css, javascript, php/jsp, mysql.

good luck!
That is 100% correct. So i can take my leave off the thread now.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by Sprumbaba: 11:19am On Jan 16, 2010
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DualCore1: 11:58am On Jan 16, 2010
sawyerrken at gmail dot com.

I want extensions and commands sole for graphic tasks in FW. smiley
Thankie Thankie smiley
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by suhayli: 5:16pm On Jan 17, 2010
Visit www.mylearningacademy.com for answer

Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jan 17, 2010
i prefer to handcode in dreamweaver
though i also enjoy the design view as it helps me save time.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by na2day2(m): 3:45am On Jan 18, 2010
@ OP

they both have their place but in this day and age to think of starting a major web project from scratch by just pure coding is just a waste of time and energy
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by 212blaze(m): 12:09pm On Jan 18, 2010
Mehn reading the book and mastering the code and coding with dreamweaver code view is the best
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by Afam(m): 12:27pm On Jan 18, 2010
I think any tool that enables anyone to accomplish tasks is ok.

It is not about the tool, it is about the usefulness of the tool in solving the problem at hand.

As they say, a basketball in Michael Jordan's hands is not the same as a basketball in Dual Core's hands.

If hand coding will enable me replicate yahoo fine.

If dreamweaver will help me do the same in less time I will use it.
Re: Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. by DualCore1: 1:24pm On Jan 18, 2010
Afam:

As they say, a basketball in Michael Jordan's hands is not the same as a basketball in Dual Core's hands.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr angry angry
i'm 6'4" tall darnit! tongue
with a lil mo practice i'll be berra.

Oh well a computer in my hands is not the same as a computer in Michael Jordan's.

We square tongue

Afam:

I think any tool that enables anyone to accomplish tasks is ok.
Now that's encouraging.
Considering the fact i just stole a clue from apple's site and have used it on my site (www.sawyerrken.com). A concept that woulda taken hours and lotsa brain juice to conjure. tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Ways To Drive Traffic To Your New Blog / I Need A A Classified Ads Like Jiji Script Or Wordpress Premium Theme / Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.