Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,386 members, 7,913,961 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 03:17 PM

Do We Have Mental Issues? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Have Mental Issues? (793 Views)

Re: Kashamu Sponsors Bill On Mental Health / 90% Of Nigeria Politician Have Mental Brain Disease / Un Declares Nigeria As An Open-air Mental Asylum! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Have Mental Issues? by beejaei: 5:02am On Jan 15, 2010
Hello all. I have visited this forum and the Politics section regularly for some time and have noticed some positives and negatives. One of the negatives is the seeming mental dysfunctional situation of some people. Don’t get me wrong. It is one thing to write wrong grammar or have fairly radical thoughts. But it is another thing totally to behave in a manner that is inconsistent with human social interactions. Some examples:
1. Some posters have venomous hatred for people of other tribes or religion that makes racism in America seem like child’s play.
2. Some posters have a sense of unbridled arrogance and know-all attitude and do not ignore an opportunity to insult or try to prove that they are the best.
3. Some posters say the most inhumane and outrageous things that do not just add up.
I am concerned because I do not know too many Nigerians in real life that exhibit such behaviors. And I wonder if folks are just glad to live a fake life on NL or if there are some people with real, but undetected mental issues who cannot help but behave in a dysfunctional manner.
I realize this is a public forum, and people are therefore free to express whatever ideas they wish. Far be it from me to propose censorship of any kind on NL. I am just worried because these posters I observe seem to be the most popular, and almost always manage to derail every thread because of their dysfunctional inputs. I know we all are different and thus cannot have the same thoughts about every issue, but should we not draw a line somewhere to separate what is and what is not acceptable in matured discourse?
Some posters seem genuinely oblivious of this situation, while others seem to bask in being the focus of attention, no matter how creepy they have to be to get the attention. Do you also feel that some folks behave mentally instable or am I just being silly? If yes, should we accept the status quo or what do we do about it? Your opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

*I would have loved to give examples, but I do not want to derail this thread by picking up issues with individuals. *
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by opokonwa(m): 11:23am On Jan 15, 2010
So what's the point in this thread
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by blacksta(m): 11:53am On Jan 15, 2010
opokonwa:

So what's the point in this thread
You have just confirmed the analysis ( mental issues) of the poster -  it Is not an obligation to post a comment   if you have not worthwhile to contribute - Read and move on  - and i still maintain "  No prize or winnings for persons with the highest number of post count"
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by beejaei: 5:14pm On Jan 15, 2010
The point is, are these behaviors normal or are people just fronting or am I just mistaken?
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by DrKnow1(m): 5:20pm On Jan 15, 2010
@poster
Who are you to judge others, a nut-case or something? This is a free world and if you don't like what you see here, just scram.
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jan 15, 2010
***enters thread***

*hissed*

***exit thread***
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by beejaei: 6:27pm On Jan 15, 2010
I am not judging, I am wondering aloud.
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by beejaei: 6:30pm On Jan 15, 2010
Any maybe you are right, NL is not the place for me. A place where characters like Daviddylan and Kobojunkie are cult heroes i definitely not for me. I will move on to find what I search for. Its only sad because I initially raised mu hopes when I first discovered this forum.
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by JNdupu: 6:35pm On Jan 15, 2010
Hey Beejaei, this is not confined to NL.  Whenever people have relative anonymity, it brings out the worst and they often say thngs they would not say if they were in the same room with people they are deriding or if they were confronted with the consequences of their cheerleading.  In the run-up to the invasion of Iraq, you would have seen a noticeable lack of humanity in the neocon "keyboard" warriors as they got excited by their oncoming war.  Even today, go to certain websites and shake your head at people stereotyping black people, typing insults and blaming the poor people of Haiti for their current tragedy.

You need a mental filter to get at the good stuff on the internet.  Don't sweat it.
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jan 15, 2010
beejaei:

Any maybe you are right, NL is not the place for me. A place where characters like Daviddylan and Kobojunkie are cult heroes i definitely not for me. I will move on to find what I search for. Its only sad because I initially raised mu hopes when I first discovered this forum.

I think your problem is that you have a deep-seated need to be a cult-hero too. Quite understandable my friend. If you think being insulted on an entire thread for your own personal opinion is what it takes to be a "cult-hero" then be my guest.

Be that as it may, i really have no idea what your real grouse is. Does it have to do with "outrageous" things people say or your own insecurity? Methinks its the latter.

beejaei:

It took you 230 posts to figure this out? cheesy
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jan 15, 2010
beejaei:

Hello all. I have visited this forum and the Politics section regularly for some time and have noticed some positives and negatives. One of the negatives is the seeming mental dysfunctional situation of some people. Don’t get me wrong. It is one thing to write wrong grammar or have fairly radical thoughts. But it is another thing totally to behave in a manner that is inconsistent with human social interactions.

Depends on your own definition of "human social interactions". Now if i were to define it my own way . . . i'd say you have quite a weird way of announcing yourself or trying to popularize yourself through the backdoor.

beejaei:

Some examples:
1. Some posters have venomous hatred for people of other tribes or religion that makes racism in America seem like child’s play.

The problem is you dont know these posters OUTSIDE the boundaries of the web. Its amazing how you suddenly make conclusions of what people are based on what they post. Where then is the room for dissenting opinion?

beejaei:

2. Some posters have a sense of unbridled arrogance and know-all attitude and do not ignore an opportunity to insult or try to prove that they are the best.

Does this somehow prevent you from making your own points?

beejaei:

3. Some posters say the most inhumane and outrageous things that do not just add up.

I would assume you made this up based on the Haiti thread. Which makes me really wonder why the black race is so irretrievably stupid . . .

beejaei:

I am concerned because I do not know too many Nigerians in real life that exhibit such behaviors.

Why would you be "concerned"? Are we members of your family? Why should our posts be of such worry to you? Most dont think about you when they log out you know.

beejaei:

And I wonder if folks are just glad to live a fake life on NL or if there are some people with real, but undetected mental issues who cannot help but behave in a dysfunctional manner.

Hmmm interesting . . .

beejaei:

I realize this is a public forum, and people are therefore free to express whatever ideas they wish. Far be it from me to propose censorship of any kind on NL.

Now that would be inconsistent with the spirit of this thread . . . its kinda hard to believe you truly expect people to freely express themselves then accuse them of having mental problems shld they promote ideas that diverge from yours. Ironic dont you think?

beejaei:

I am just worried because these posters I observe seem to be the most popular, and almost always manage to derail every thread because of their dysfunctional inputs.

Is your main problem that these posters are "popular"?

beejaei:

I know we all are different and thus cannot have the same thoughts about every issue, but should we not draw a line somewhere to separate what is and what is not acceptable in matured discourse?

Now where was it you talked about freedom of expression and censorship?

beejaei:

Some posters seem genuinely oblivious of this situation, while others seem to bask in being the focus of attention, no matter how creepy they have to be to get the attention.

I'm tending towards the feeling that YOU would prefer that attention on urself.

beejaei:

Do you also feel that some folks behave mentally instable or am I just being silly? If yes, should we accept the status quo or what do we do about it? Your opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Let me be candid here . . .

1. You use the word "we" . . . and it leaves me wondering . . . do you include yourself as part of those who shld "do something"? Who really are you? Do i sense a misplaced idea of self-importance?

2. Now where was it you talked about censorship again?

beejaei:

*I would have loved to give examples, but I do not want to derail this thread by picking up issues with individuals. *

No need for examples . . . you made them rather clear.
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by ElRazur: 6:51pm On Jan 15, 2010
I love David. He takes on all form of Goliath around here. cool Hate him or love him, he delivers. grin
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by redsun(m): 10:10pm On Jan 15, 2010
beejaei:

Hello all. I have visited this forum and the Politics section regularly for some time and have noticed some positives and negatives. One of the negatives is the seeming mental dysfunctional situation of some people. Don’t get me wrong. It is one thing to write wrong grammar or have fairly radical thoughts. But it is another thing totally to behave in a manner that is inconsistent with human social interactions. Some examples:
I am concerned because I do not know too many Nigerians in real life that exhibit such behaviors. And I wonder if folks are just glad to live a fake life on NL or if there are some people with real, but undetected mental issues who cannot help but behave in a dysfunctional manner.
I realize this is a public forum, and people are therefore free to express whatever ideas they wish. Far be it from me to propose censorship of any kind on NL. I am just worried because these posters I observe seem to be the most popular, and almost always manage to derail every thread because of their dysfunctional inputs. I know we all are different and thus cannot have the same thoughts about every issue, but should we not draw a line somewhere to separate what is and what is not acceptable in matured discourse?
Some posters seem genuinely oblivious of this situation, while others seem to bask in being the focus of attention, no matter how creepy they have to be to get the attention. Do you also feel that some folks behave mentally instable or am I just being silly? If yes, should we accept the status quo or what do we do about it? Your opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Have ever given it a thought that you could be the deranged one?Maybe you are crazy,maybe i am crazy,maybe we are all crazy,who knows?

I personally think that crazy people are the judgmental ones,the ones that are scared,troubled and in bondage.
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by ayinba1(f): 10:29pm On Jan 15, 2010
@beejai

You cannot leave NL because of the people you mentioned. There are sane voices here, believe me, and remember that "bad men succeed when good men fail to act".

What you can do is to be a voice of sanity on this forum and you will find that you are not alone.

Yes they will come at you with all sorts of expletives but you will find your own way of making a positive contribution.
It gets tiring sometimes but always take the higher road. You don't even need to read some people's post after a while because you can correctly predict thier responses, or you could read and just ignore.

Goodluck and again, please stay.
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jan 15, 2010
ayinba1:

@beejai

You cannot leave NL because of the people you mentioned. There are sane voices here, believe me, and remember that "bad men succeed when good men fail to act".

What you can do is to be a voice of sanity on this forum and you will find that you are not alone.

Yes they will come at you with all sorts of expletives but you will find your own way of making a positive contribution.
It gets tiring sometimes but always take the higher road. You don't even need to read some people's post after a while because you can correctly predict thier responses, or you could read and just ignore.

Goodluck and again, please stay.

Kinda funny because no one even noticed her in the first place. So who came at her? Perhaps you shld respond only when you have better information.
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by ayinba1(f): 10:32pm On Jan 15, 2010
Hi, Mr Naksin Dawodu,

How u dey?  grin
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by beejaei: 10:33pm On Jan 15, 2010
Hey, you know you are correct, I want attention. But then I can pursue that in real life. Me thinks the real issue I am concerned with is not whether or not people's opinions diverge from mine. It is how loony the opinions are that they just seem unreal. Its like how no matter how much there is freedom  of press in America, no racist Congressman can call blacks niggers on national TV without being reprimanded, or support Hitler. It is because the world has generally drawn a line to say "Hitler reminds us of the worst in humans" and "It is wrong to call blacks niggers." So no matter how much freedom people have to express their opinions, there is a line consciously or unconsciously drawn to separate the acceptable from the unacceptable. The hate speech you are known for espousing is in my opinion not acceptable in matured discuss. So I want to know if folks like you are for real because I don't know any Nigerian like this in real life. Or if you are just living a fake life on the internet or have mental issues without knowing it.
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by kosovo(m): 10:35pm On Jan 15, 2010
smiley
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jan 15, 2010
beejaei:

Hey, you know you are correct, I want attention. But then I can pursue that in real life. Me thinks the real issue I am concerned with is not whether or not people's opinions diverge from mine. It is how loony the opinions are that they just seem unreal. Its like how no matter how much there is freedom  of press in America, no racist Congressman can call blacks niggers on national TV without being reprimanded, or support Hitler. It is because the world has generally drawn a line to say "Hitler reminds us of the worst in humans" and "It is wrong to call blacks niggers." So no matter how much freedom people have to express their opinions, there is a line consciously or unconsciously drawn to separate the acceptable from the unacceptable. The hate speech you are known for espousing is in my opinion not acceptable in matured discuss. So I want to know if folks like you are for real because I don't know any Nigerian like this in real life. Or if you are just living a fake life on the internet or have mental issues without knowing it.

who knows. Recommend a doc.
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by beejaei: 10:39pm On Jan 15, 2010
I will leave you to do that yourself. I really wish people vast in the medical/psychology/social field will contribute and help explain all these behaviors to me. They do not just seem normal at all.
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by Nobody: 11:51am On Jan 16, 2010
hey bee boy,
just forget all these issues with trying to be reasonable here. !Bah! I see u new, boy. Seeking to follow reason around here is very well a wild goose chase, whatever dat is. People like daviddylan will always feeeeeeeed you all sort of oneness of infinity till u dose off, whatever that is again. Man, you just starting here!! If you'd go ahead liki dis, then i pity no be small. One advice: accroche tes ceintures et c'est parti!
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by JNdupu: 1:23pm On Jan 16, 2010
Y'know what? Me too. 

Sure, you meet the odd initially loudmouthed tribalist in the restaurant but nothing a shared ice-cold bottle of Guinness could not cure. Then it's back to "ol' boy" "my brother this" "my brother that" "dis our country sef", "god go punish that Amodu" ,

beejaei:

I don't know any Nigerian like this in real life.
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by Dammyray(m): 2:16pm On Jan 16, 2010
~Bluetooth:

***enters thread***

*hissed*

***exit thread***

Straight i follow
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by ziga: 1:55am On Jan 17, 2010
@Post

There are sane people on nairaland. They just sit back and watch the madness. because when you get into a shouting contest with a madman, it is very hard to differentiate the normal guy from the mad one.

Nairaland is a reflection of Nigeria. The few who don't make sense shout down, and rule over a lot of normal people.
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by VPersie: 2:29am On Jan 17, 2010
hmm
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by Nobody: 4:17am On Jan 17, 2010
yes, Nigeria has a high rate of mental illness.

This is a known fact.
Re: Do We Have Mental Issues? by lannre(m): 4:45am On Jan 17, 2010
When all think alike then no one is thinking   move on my Dear you made a good point, but not every one will agree with you,and if that ever happens, then the world is static.

(1) (Reply)

Why I Shunned Fashola’s 1000-day Cerebration —lagos Speaker / Welcome Mr. President / USA Says Yar'adua's Return From Abroad Might Be A Reckless Bid By His Advisers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.