Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,394 members, 7,897,759 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 07:16 PM

Why You Should Stop Smoking Shisha - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why You Should Stop Smoking Shisha (1258 Views)

Do You Smoke Shisha? - It Will Destroy You Faster Than Cigarette - Medical Exper / Ensure Shisha Smokers Are Arrested, FG Tells Police / Top 5 Dental Health Mistakes You Should Stop Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Stop Smoking Shisha by saasala(m): 1:18am On May 31, 2017
A thread about Davido's baby mama smoking shisha (Hookah) made it to frontpage recently, and I read the comment of someone who claimed she was doing nothing wrong as shisha is only some kind of flavour. Here is the thread: https://www.nairaland.com/3830692/davidos-baby-mama-amanda-smoking

I hear a lot of youths in Nigeria saying Shisha (Hookah) has no side effects. Sorry to burst your burbles, the effects are worse than smoking cigareth and marijuana combined.

Well, I decided to do some googling and landed on Wikipedia. Below are excerpts from wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah):

Shisha smoke contains multiple toxic chemicals. Water does not filter out many of these chemicals. Hookah smoke contains toxic chemicals that come from the burning of the charcoal, tobacco, and flavorings.

Shisha smokers inhale many chemicals that can cause cancer, heart disease, lung disease, and other health problems.These chemicals include tobacco-specific nitrosamines, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs; e.g., benzo[a]pyrene and anthracene), volatile aldehydes (e.g. formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acrolein), benzene, nitric oxide, heavy metals (arsenic, chromium, lead), and carbon monoxide (CO).[72] Hookah smoking increases the amount of carbon monoxide (CO) in a person's body to eight times their normal level. Compared to smoking one cigarette, a single hookah session exposes users to more carbon monoxide and PAHs, similar levels of nicotine, and lower levels of tobacco-specific nitrosamines. Because of inhaling these chemicals, hookah smokers are at increased risk of many of the same health problems as cigarette smokers.

Current evidence indicates shisha may cause numerous health problems. Hookah smoking appears to increase the risk of several cancers (lung, esophageal, and gastric), pulmonary diseases (impaired pulmonary function, chronic bronchitis, and emphysema), coronary artery disease, periodontal disease, obstetrical and perinatal problems (low birth weight and pulmonary problems at birth), larynx and voice changes, and osteoporosis. Many of the studies to date have methodological limitations, such as not measuring hookah use in a standardized way. Larger, high quality studies are needed to learn more about the long-term health effects of hookah use and of exposure to hookah smoke.

Read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah

Re: Why You Should Stop Smoking Shisha by OKUCHI11(m): 1:31am On May 31, 2017
we go still die in the end

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Stop Smoking Shisha by Edopesin: 1:49am On May 31, 2017
Check Awt Chemistry

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Stop Smoking Shisha by ochobaba(m): 2:07am On May 31, 2017
my people will not hear cz they lack knowledge
Re: Why You Should Stop Smoking Shisha by Swegzfreak: 3:38am On May 31, 2017
tongue
Re: Why You Should Stop Smoking Shisha by emmayayodeji(m): 7:11am On May 31, 2017
Oga na something go kill person

And marijuana has no major effect on the lungs cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Three Best Natural Ways To Gain/add Weight Quickly (expert Reviewed) / 7 Factors To Consider Before Choosing A Fertility Clinic For Your IVF Treatment / I Want To Cut Off My Penis. I Don't Need It Anymore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.