Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,166 members, 7,919,766 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 01:16 PM

How To Beatify Your Writing Using The Right Synonyms - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Beatify Your Writing Using The Right Synonyms (560 Views)

Leaked Sex Tape: Why Babcock University Reserves The Right To Expel Student / 21 Powerful Synonyms That Will Make Your Communication Outstanding / Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Beatify Your Writing Using The Right Synonyms by mistalexzy: 8:44am On Jun 01, 2017
Synonyms are words with similar or same meanings, which can be used interchangeably. For example, instead of saying I have to go now, I can say I have to leave now. So go and leave are synonyms. But a definition such as the above can be problematic. They argue that there are no two words that mean the same thing in a context. This is what happens in case of words like go, leave and proceed. While we can say I am eager to go on holiday, it will be wrong to say am eager leave on holiday. This is why some scholars prefer a definition like ' a synonym is a word or phrase with similar meaning with another word, which can also be used in place of it'. It should be noted that a phrase can also be a synonym for another word. Whatever the case, the words generally have similar meanings but each usually has areas where it fits best. Generally, synonyms helps us in so many ways:
1. Using the most appropriate words
A lot of people both young and old get into trouble when speaking or writing because of wrong use of words that doesn't fit a particular contexts. A knowledgeable person is the one who uses the best word at the right time. You have to consider appropriateness in terms words that suit prevailing situation, emotion, place, calibre of people present e.t.c. Some words are more general than others, while some are more precise.
For example, kill and murder are synonymous that you may want to freely interchange them. But, technically speaking, it's the law court or police that can determine whether a killing is a murder or manslaughter. Also, children, kids, minors, fruit of the wombs, babies, offspring are synonyms yet they can replace each other at all times:
My friend has four children.
My friend has four kids.
My friend has four minors.
My friend has four offspring.
Which of the four description will your friend prefer? Am sure she will prefer the first one.

2. Dealing with repetition
A good knowledge of synonyms will help you deal with repetition. A lot of people bore ther listeners or readers by unnecessary repetition within a sentence, passage or paragraph. It's a sign of immaturity that synonyms can help you overcome.
Popular actress, Moji Olaiya, has died. She died penultimate tuesday after a protracted illness. The death has saddened many of her fans. Some of them described the death as a big loss.
Popular actress Moji Olaiya, has died. She passed away penultimate tuesday after a protracted illness. Her death has saddened many of her fans. Some of them described the passage as a big loss.
The second paragraph surely sounds better. It shows a mastery of the language unlike what you have in the first where died and death are repeated.
3. Simplicity
The simpler, the better... when dealing with synonyms, note that some are more simple than the others. And once they (the simpler) satisfy the principle of appropriateness, go for them.
She was attacked by the irate youths.
She was attacked by the angry youths.
The physician attended to the man.
The doctor attended to the man.
There was a conflagration at the mall yesterday.
There was a fire outbreak at the mall yesterday.
In each pair, the second expression is preferred because of the simplicity of the synonyms used.
Re: How To Beatify Your Writing Using The Right Synonyms by FieryJustice(m): 8:46am On Jun 01, 2017
hmm
Re: How To Beatify Your Writing Using The Right Synonyms by Aminu212: 10:10am On Jun 01, 2017
pls am desperately interested in learning English. do u have a blog?

1 Like

Re: How To Beatify Your Writing Using The Right Synonyms by mistalexzy: 8:43pm On Jun 01, 2017
Aminu212:
pls am desperately interested in learning English. do u have a blog?
I don't have a blog, what will do is we render home tutorials to students who have difficulty in the use of English and any other subjects (arts/science)

(1) (Reply)

Federal Poly Nekede HND & ND Part-time Admission - 2017/18 / 70-744 Training Material - Pass Windows Server 2016 70-744 Exam With Latest Dump / 300L Female Student Of LAUTECH Crushed To Death By A Motorcycle (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.