Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,494 members, 7,971,847 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 04:52 PM

5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria (9831 Views)

Buhari Orders Nigeria Customs To Distribute Seized Items To Displaced Persons / ’30 APC Members Killed In Political Violence In Rivers’ / Jonathan With Wounded Soldiers & Displaced Persons (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by luvola(m): 7:23am On Jan 19, 2010
@ trencoat - who started attacking first ? isn't not d muslim youth ?
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by trenchcoat: 7:28am On Jan 19, 2010
OgidiBoy:

Where did the fighting start, also which part of Jos are you calling Christian dominated area, expect for apata which is mostly dominated my Igbo traders, there is no other part of Jos that is Christan dominated. I pray the fight didn't reach Tudun Warda like the last time.
It started at Dutse-Uku,out-skirts of Nassarawa Gwom.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by trenchcoat: 7:34am On Jan 19, 2010
luvola:

@ trencoat - who started attacking first ? isn't not d muslim youth ?

R u asking a question or asking and answering it? Well if it is a question the Christians attacked first by not allowing the man to rebuild his house,and the Muslim youths retaliated.That was how it all began.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by naijaking1: 7:35am On Jan 19, 2010
trenchcoat:

This is a great lie, wat made the Muslim youths angry? A Muslim man wants to rebuild his house and its in a Christian dominated area, the Christians came to stop the building, they had an argument  which led to the whole crisis, why do people like to point fingers to dent the image of Islam for God sake? It was on a Sunday when the quarrellings began, this scared the people in the Church and that was how the whole thing began, lets settle and iron things out  amicably rather than  blaming.

Are you talking about settling things when muslims insist on taking it all.
Until those docile and lazy Christians in Plateau(natives, Igbos and Yorubas) rise up jointly against continuos and repeated islamic fundamentalist attacks, they too will soon become history.
Historically, the Fulani removed the muslim Hausa kings by much the same method as what's going on today----pretending to practice purer form of Islam, then we have repeated muslim attacks on christians all through the 1960s, the massacre of southern christians under the pretext of fighting Igbos, then the pattern continued through out the 1970s, 80, 90, and now you're talking about amicably ironing things out shocked
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by Ojumiii(m): 7:36am On Jan 19, 2010
Always, get to the truth before making any conclusion, said is the Lord
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by naijaking1: 7:40am On Jan 19, 2010
trenchcoat:

R u asking a question or asking and answering it? Well if it is a question the Christians attacked first by not allowing the man to rebuild his house,and the Muslim youths retaliated.That was how it all began.

I beg read the whole story:

[size=18pt]Torching of Nigerian church sets off deadly riot[/size]
By AHMED SAKA, Associated Press Writer Ahmed Saka, Associated Press Writer – Mon Jan 18, 1:32 pm ET
JOS, Nigeria – Angry Muslim youths set a church filled with worshippers ablaze in northern Nigeria, starting a riot that killed at least 27 people and wounded more than 300 others in the latest religious violence in the region, officials said Monday.

About 5,000 people lost their homes as rioters also burned mosques and homes in Jos, a city that saw more than 300 residents killed during a similar uprising in 2008, said local Red Cross official Auwal Muhammad Madobi. He said he had no information about deaths. Police officials declined to offer a count of the dead.

Sani Mudi, a spokesman for the local imam, said 22 people died Sunday after rioters set fire to a Catholic church, starting a daylong wave of violence between Christians and Muslims. Five others died Monday from their wounds, and police and soldiers set up numerous road blocks throughout Jos.

An Associated Press reporter saw the bodies of 10 dead youths, marked with bullet holes and machete wounds, at a local hospital on Monday. On Sunday, witnesses told reporters they saw 10 bodies at a mosque in the city. It was unclear if the bodies in the hospital were the same ones seen in the mosque.

The rioting began Sunday, when the youths attacked a church, said Gregory Yenlong, a state government spokesman. Yenlong said he didn't know why the young men set the blaze.

"That's what's being investigated," he said.

Police arrested 35 people who they suspect took part in the rioting, Yenlong said. He said at least five of the men arrested were wearing fake Nigerian military uniforms. He also said a dusk-to-dawn curfew would remain in place on Jos for the coming days.

Musa Pam, secretary of a local Christian elders forum, issued a statement Monday claiming the Muslim youths picked Sunday to launch their attack because they knew Christians would be worshipping at church. He asked the police to bring the killers to justice, because Christians were being attacked without cause.

Kabiru Mohammed, a Muslim resident who lost his home in the 2008 violence, told reporters Monday that after he recently started to rebuild his house, local Christian youths surrounded it and demanded that he stop construction.

"They said the area now belongs to them," Mohammed said.

The youths attacked, killing two laborers working on the home, Mohammed said.

Ahmed Garba, a Muslim lawyer, said he escaped being lynched by a group of Christian youths armed with bows and arrows, knives, stones and locally made firearms. He watched as they attacked and stabbed three people.

Traffic in the northern Nigerian city remained light on Monday, as the few cars traveling met multiple roadblocks and close searches by police and soldiers. Local police spokesman Mohammed Lerama said the site of the rioting remained sealed off, but that calm had returned to Jos.

"There's an absolute peace," Lerama said.

Jos sits in the heart of northern Nigeria, home to the nation's Muslim population. Religious violence, largely based on local disputes rather than global conflicts, has struck Jos in the past. Rioting in September 2001 killed more than 1,000 people and Muslim-Christian battles killed up to 700 people in 2004.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100118/ap_on_re_af/af_nigeria_violence
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by OgidiBoy(m): 7:42am On Jan 19, 2010
trenchcoat:

It started at Dutse-Uku,out-skirts of Nassarawa Gwom.

That's sad, I hope you and your family didn't get affected. What happened to the Jos we all used to know and love. Nasarawa Gwom even though is a slum used to be so diverse. That was the last place you would expect this kind of trouble.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by trenchcoat: 7:57am On Jan 19, 2010
naijaking1:

Are you talking about settling things when muslims insist on taking it all.
Until those docile and lazy Christians in Plateau(natives, Igbos and Yorubas) rise up jointly against continuos and repeated islamic fundamentalist attacks, they too will soon become history.
Historically, the Fulani removed the muslim Hausa kings by much the same method as what's going on today----pretending to practice purer form of Islam, then we have repeated muslim attacks on christians all through the 1960s, the massacre of southern christians under the pretext of fighting Igbos, then the pattern continued through out the 1970s, 80, 90, and now you're talking about amicably ironing things out shocked

Now wat r u trying to insinuate?The killings shud continue or dialogue for peace?
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by slap1(m): 8:00am On Jan 19, 2010
i dunt kno wat happened but i kno the moslems are givin demselves bad names all ova d world.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by naijaking1: 8:13am On Jan 19, 2010
trenchcoat:

Now wat r u trying to insinuate?The killings shud continue or dialogue for peace?

Killing of Christians and non-muslims by muslims must stop. Dialogue for peace?, go ask the Sarkin Gombe what happened to him when Othman dan Fodio came to dialogue for peace.
Am sorry, but dialoguing for peace is not a language Islamic radicals understand.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by splashbaby(m): 8:21am On Jan 19, 2010
I think all is gradually falling into place, Who are those swear thrift that offer their eye that Nigeria is not a terrorist state. Our leaders are political terrorists without sense of inpunity since independenc, and I think that is the message Americans are tryin to pass across, Civilised people dont fight over religion ask Isreal and Palestines, They are not figting over religion, only fools do, they are plentful in the Northern part of Nigeria and our politicians have hijacked it. tongue
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by trenchcoat: 8:22am On Jan 19, 2010
OgidiBoy:

That's sad, I hope you and your family didn't get affected. What happened to the Jos we all used to know and love. Nasarawa Gwom even though is a slum used to be so diverse. That was the last place you would expect this kind of trouble.

my family r safe, thanks for the concern, its indeed really sad.The place I stay is mixed with both Muslims and Christians, the main problems with the crisis as I see are nothing but lack of employment, illiteracy and poverty. If u have something doing u will not have time to fight, they say an idle mind is d devils workshop.Why is the crisis not erupting in other state,on d other hand its all about politics.Its really unfortunate .We pray the Lord help us.Amen.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by trenchcoat: 8:24am On Jan 19, 2010
naijaking1:

Killing of Christians and non-muslims by muslims must stop. Dialogue for peace?, go ask the Sarkin Gombe what happened to him when Othman dan Fodio came to dialogue for peace.
Am sorry, but dialoguing for peace is not a language Islamic radicals understand.

I can see u r just a trouble maker.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by naijaking1: 8:33am On Jan 19, 2010
trenchcoat:

I can see u r just a trouble maker.

Reality bites cool
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 8:37am On Jan 19, 2010
ElRazur:
Let's offer help to Haiti. It is logical and makes more sense.

Beaf:
^
Are you psychologically damaged? Why do you keep things from thread to thread? You are sick but you don't realise it.

It is obvious the fool called ElRazur is just a frustrated attention LovePeddler. Instead of making his pedestrian contribution and moving on, he enjoys making comments to stir and annoy sane readers, so as to attract attention. This guy is obviously sick.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by ElRazur: 8:51am On Jan 19, 2010
RichyBlacK:

It is obvious the slowpoke called ElRazur is just a frustrated attention LovePeddler. Instead of making his pedestrian contribution and moving on, he enjoys making comments to stir and annoy sane readers, so as to attract attention. This guy is obviously sick.

This is very rich, very rich indeed coming from a thoroughbred slowerpoke who have no idea on how to run a forum or take criticism. What a joke.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by lionphil(m): 9:02am On Jan 19, 2010
from the look of things islam is  religion people should keep away from cos on the long run u can be brainwashed into going on a suicide mission. though we have  few good ones, generally it is a wrong religion. who says they have 12 or 77 virgins? what a joke. is it mohammed or God that will give u that? tongue tongue tongue
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 9:02am On Jan 19, 2010
ElRazur:

This is very rich, very rich indeed coming from a thoroughbred slowerpoke who have no idea on how to run a forum or take criticism. What a joke.

You're a complete fo.ol!

Stop behaving like a tranny on her period, it's unimaginably disgusting. Fuktard!
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by 190: 9:05am On Jan 19, 2010
lets called abdul mutallab to settle this JOS crises please

some dial is #
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by ElRazur: 9:08am On Jan 19, 2010
RichyBlacK:

You're a complete fo.ol!

Stop behaving like a tranny on her period, it's unimaginably disgusting. Fuktard!

Oh dear. . . .The irony.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 9:10am On Jan 19, 2010
ElRazur:

Oh dear. . . .The irony.

Look, just mess off and do not join issues with me. Simple.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by ElRazur: 9:14am On Jan 19, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Look, just bleep off and do not join issues with me. Simple.

You really do not get, or do you? It is a public forum you see. Something a moderator on a public forum should know better, but oh wait. . . . You are just too useless to realise that. Ouch. smiley
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by edoyad(m): 9:15am On Jan 19, 2010
I have listened to alot of rubbish on NL and i have to say the words of that trenchcoat definitely ranks with the best of the junk.
So you want to isolate the problem in jos from what occurs in bauchi, kano etc on a regular basis. As i speak to you security men armed to the teeth are patrolling the streets of kaduna cos your almajiri lords know that once the problem spreads into kd, where they used push their luck, the ensuing riot will probably be the final blow to any thing holding this contraption called Nigeria together. If there are no riots in kaduna it is not because your almajiri people dont want trouble but because the political class that manipulate the almajiri rams know their golden goose could die sequel to events that would occur here.
Go and fix your problems before you ask other people to come and dialogue with you.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by lionphil(m): 9:16am On Jan 19, 2010
@richy

u come turn the matter to ur own. n naija and u dey oo no take am personal guys just come catch fun
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 9:18am On Jan 19, 2010
lion phil:

@richy

u come turn the matter to your own. n naija and u dey oo no take am personal guys just come catch fun

I know, but that ladyboy called ElRazur likes to get an erection trying to sound smart, when the guy na ordinary fowl for road.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by ElRazur: 9:22am On Jan 19, 2010
RichyBlacK:

I know, but that ladyboy called ElRazur likes to get an erection trying to sound smart, when the guy na ordinary fowl for road.

Again, you are doing precisely what Lion phil noted - Taking things personal and just letting your emotions take over you. You really are not getting the whole point when I said "Oh dear. The irony". smiley
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 9:24am On Jan 19, 2010
ElRazur:

You really do not get, or do you? It is a public forum you see. Something a moderator on a public forum should know better, but oh wait.  .  .  . You are just too useless to realise that. Ouch. smiley

Look at this nincompoop, who told you I'm a moderator? It is precisely because of goats like you that try to capitalize on the fact that moderators should "turn the other cheek" when tatas like you insult them that I decided to leave moderation. I need to get in the mud with trash like you who somehow think that making provocative comments is an art they've cornered. Just try to get a life outside NL and stop screaming like a teenage transvestite on her monthly curse.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 9:26am On Jan 19, 2010
ElRazur:

Again, you are doing precisely what Lion phil noted - Taking things personal and just letting your emotions take over you. You really are not getting the whole point when I said "Oh dear. The irony". smiley

Which point? I don't need to get ANY point from an ignorant charlatan like you? You're nothing as far I'm concerned and nobody can learn anything from an empty effeminate primate.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by ElRazur: 9:31am On Jan 19, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Look at this nincompoop, who told you I'm a moderator? It is precisely because of goats like you that try to capitalize on the fact that moderators should "turn the other cheek" when tatas like you insult them that I decided to leave moderation. I need to get in the mud with trash like you who somehow think that making provocative comments is an art they've cornered. Just try to get a life outside NL and stop screaming like a teenage transvestite on her monthly curse.

No. The fact is you got kicked out because of your inactivity and uselessness.

For the record, you are a moderator - a useless one though - in the Foreign Politics Section.

Foreign Affairs
International Politics
Moderator: RichyBlacK

So you do not even know you are a moderator? Lmao. My belief in your uselessness is reaffirmed even further.

You have accused me of throwing insult, yet you have called me all kind of names. Jeez, do you really understand "Irony" at all? Again, the joke is on you.  smiley

RichyBlacK:

Which point? I don't need to get ANY point from an ignorant charlatan like you? You're nothing as far I'm concerned and nobody can learn anything from an empty effeminate primate.

Again Irony! You called me ignorant, yet knowingly ignored my points. Kai. smiley
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by bukyniyi: 9:35am On Jan 19, 2010
I can see now dat dis almajiris r mad dogs,au on earth wil dey turn an ordinary dispurte 2 a religious riot.r dey mad? y won't d Americans cal dem terorist of cos dey r.au long r dey goin 2 kip kilin inocnt ppl,we nid 2 seperate frm dis ppl.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by Bukittes(f): 9:39am On Jan 19, 2010
You know that this is very sad because these nonentities make us feel its the religion that has made these people like this. I have cousins (first cousins) who are Muslims and we live very peacefully as a family without discrimination. Northerners are suckers because of their illiteracy, they are easily washed off their feet
under the disguise of religion and petty rewards from their warlords. I just think their problem in this part of the country is illiteracy and not the religion. I'm not saying I'll rather be a muslim or sort but meen, these guys are fools and will remain so if they don't try to meet up with the revolving world of ours.
Re: 5,000 Displaced After Violence In Nigeria by RichyBlacK(m): 9:41am On Jan 19, 2010
ElRazur:

No. The fact is you got kicked out because of your inactivity and uselessness.

For the record, you are a moderator - a useless one though - in the Foreign Politics Section.

So you do not even know you are a moderator? Lmao. My belief in your uselessness is reaffirmed even further.

You have accused me of throwing insult, yet have called me al kind of names. Jeez, do you really understand "Irony" at all? Again, the joke is on you.  smiley

Again Irony! You called me ignorant, yet knowingly ignored my points. Kai. smiley

Let me educate you, since you're so ignorant.

How to identify a moderator 101
1. Go to the poster's profile page.
2. Look at the item tagged "Position" (usually the third item)
3. Does it say "Moderator"?
4. If yes, then the poster is a moderator. Example kosovo, our Politics moderator:

Name:   kosovo
Position: Moderators
Date Registered: May 23, 2007, 04:47 AM
5. If no, then the poster is not a moderator. Example RichyBlack, our former Politics moderator:

Name:  RichyBlacK
Position: Active Poster
Date Registered: May 30, 2006, 11:52 PM

So, the whole world now knows that you're just another attention LovePeddler with no knowledge of how to identify a moderator. You're truly sick to think that a poster with position "Active Poster" and one with "Moderators" are both moderators. If you do not know how to identify a moderator why not ask, instead of displaying your insolent stupidity on a public forum!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Boko Haram Claims Responsibility For Killing Ex-police DIG & 50 Soldiers / Renewed Clashes between Benue and Ebonyi Communities Claim 10 / Saraki: No Right-thinking Apolitical Yoruba Should Jubilate!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.